PDA

View Full Version : Launch day!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Looks like we're flying! Hopefully I'll have a launch report later today. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Nope. Cancelled due to wind. Figures. The decks were cleared around here and I was up early for a change. Guess I'll reorganize my shop instead.

dwmzmm
01-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Nope. Cancelled due to wind. Figures. The decks were cleared around here and I was up early for a change. Guess I'll reorganize my shop instead.

Down here in Texas, we're under a burn ban (statewide). Nobody, that I know of, intends to do any flying until the ban is lifted officially. Some of the weather forecasters are saying we
need at least 9" of rain between now and mid-February to get out of this drought. As it stands now, it's a longshot.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Apparently we're just under a flight ban here. I think it might require a virgin sacrifice to lift the ban. :eek:

dwmzmm
01-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Apparently we're just under a flight ban here. I think it might require a virgin sacrifice to lift the ban. :eek:

I've thought of going ahead and launching a model rocket that can send up some cloud seeds; maybe it will encourage some rain!

dwmzmm
01-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I've thought of going ahead and launching a model rocket that can send up some cloud seeds; maybe it will encourage some rain!

Oh, I forgot. My son, Davey, has the Estes GL-X200 airlaunched model rocket set. I suppose
the burn ban doesn't apply to it!? We flew it at our last club launch a few weeks ago, and I
was surprised to see how high those rockets can go. Good thing about the bounce recovery...one hit the top of my car with no damage. Both Davey and my seven year old
daughter, who also came along, had fun taking turns pumping the air and then launching.
They must have flown at least 25 times between themselves.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it sounds like you guys are in water rocket season. ;)

SEL
01-14-2006, 09:09 PM

Y'know, that's not too far-fetched. In an old Model Rocketry, there's a letter to the editor from Trip Barber claiming to have done just that. Well, he at least took credit for it somewhat. He used a 2-staged model using FSI F motors, and flew into some clouds with whatever it is they seed clouds with, and within a hour or two (or three?) it started raining.
Coincidence? Who knows.
A more reliable thing would be to come on up to Oregon. I's been raining here for a month :(

Sean