PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

Feyd
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
I built my rocket in rocksim 9, but when I try to launch it, I get nothing. I'm a novice so I'm sure I missed something basic. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark II
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I can't check your file because I don't have version 9, but one simple question: did you load in a motor?

MarkII

CPMcGraw
02-13-2010, 11:37 PM
I built my rocket in rocksim 9, but when I try to launch it, I get nothing. I'm a novice so I'm sure I missed something basic. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had these come up in some of my own doodles. RockSim will allow you to build just about anything, but it still gets confused with the combinations. Your issue was a conflict between some of the components. Study the attached revised file.

I am playing with the design a bit, but you'll be interested to know the model is capable of 1300' on a C6-7, with a deployment velocity of 8 FPS, and with a static margin of 1.96 loaded...

The pod tubes are going to get a little scorched with each flight, and will be the first things to be damaged or to break off on landing.

You might be able to remove some nose weight. On some simulation runs (not in the uploaded file), I dropped the weight down to 0.1 oz and gained 100' altitude on the C6-7, with a static margin of 1.36 and a Dv of 9 FPS.

These are good numbers, BTW!

Welcome to YORF, and welcome to RockSim!

Feyd
02-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm moving the pods forward so the rear of them will be just past the end of the rocket so they won't be scorched. Plus, I'm making them into motor mounts too so I can load small engines in them.

I'm not sure if the simulation notices, or even how to make it notice, but it's a rear-ejection model so the pods should survive landing.

I'll end up reworking the whole thing given the parts I've been able to find.

CPMcGraw
02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm moving the pods forward so the rear of them will be just past the end of the rocket so they won't be scorched. Plus, I'm making them into motor mounts too so I can load small engines in them.

I'm not sure if the simulation notices, or even how to make it notice, but it's a rear-ejection model so the pods should survive landing.

I'll end up reworking the whole thing given the parts I've been able to find.

I wondered about if this was a rear-ejection design, given the location of the parachute. The version I posted was a standard-ejection style. The engine tube and the centering rings need to be set up as an ejectable pod.

Still, you can get an idea of the potential performance of the design...