PDA

View Full Version : Can't take 'em with you

chanstevens
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I was noticing all the recent posts about some bizarre high/low Ebay pricing lately, and my thoughts turned towards mortality, realizing that if I went first, my wife wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with any of my rocketry stuff, and I certainly have a lot of stuff (500+ built, 400+ unbuilt, etc.).

Being the anal retentive geek type so common in our hobby, I of course keep meticulous records of what I've got, and my estate plan identifies whether any given rocket is "collectible" or "recreational", with all the recreational going to my local club and all the collectible going to the NAR for the annual auction at NARAM.

That got me to wondering, though--for those of you out there with some serious collections, what is your exit strategy? Sell off to fund your retirement? Pass along to an interested heir? Let the spouse put it out on the curb?

--Chan Stevens

BEC
03-03-2010, 07:33 PM
That is a really interesting question - one I've been thinking about for both my rocket stuff and my (much larger collection of) RC airplane stuff. Thanks for bringing it up.

Ltvscout
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
That got me to wondering, though--for those of you out there with some serious collections, what is your exit strategy? Sell off to fund your retirement? Pass along to an interested heir? Let the spouse put it out on the curb?
This year I'll be selling most of my stuff off to put into my eldest daughters college fund. That's the excuse I gave my wife 10+ years ago when I started collecting. I was buying the stuff as an investment to help pay for college. Well the piper has now come calling...

Mark II
03-03-2010, 08:35 PM
If I can't take them with me, then I'm not going! :mad:

Actually I don't have much of a collection. A major build backlog, but not a true collection.

MarkII

DeanHFox
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Although I'm not planning on clocking out anytime soon, I'll be passing my rocket collection on to my boys...what I don't manage to get built, anyway. They've enjoyed flying them with me, so the chance to have some of "Dad's sacred rockets" will, I hope, help them remember me, and their childhoods, with happiness. :)

My 1,000+ plastic models, though --- they show no interest in at all, so it's off to GreedBay, most likely, just to put a few extra bucks in the kids' pockets. Too bad, really --- some very nice kits in that collection, too. I've got a few in there I want to build, too --- just so the grandkids will have a chance to see what the old duffer (me) enjoyed doing in his spare time! :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I was noticing all the recent posts about some bizarre high/low Ebay pricing lately, and my thoughts turned towards mortality, realizing that if I went first, my wife wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with any of my rocketry stuff, and I certainly have a lot of stuff (500+ built, 400+ unbuilt, etc.).

Being the anal retentive geek type so common in our hobby, I of course keep meticulous records of what I've got, and my estate plan identifies whether any given rocket is "collectible" or "recreational", with all the recreational going to my local club and all the collectible going to the NAR for the annual auction at NARAM.

--Chan Stevens

You've got a local club? You holdin' out on me or somethin'? :mad: :rolleyes:

stefanj
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Sure you can take it with you!

A big pile of paper, balsa, and motors would make a SPECTACULAR funeral pyre!

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Sure you can take it with you!

A big pile of paper, balsa, and motors would make a SPECTACULAR funeral pyre!

In that case, I may have the perfect rocket for the occasion. :rolleyes:
And I DEFINITELY know a field that's primed for pyre at some times of the year. :(

blackshire
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM

--Chan StevensAfter the knacker comes for me, I suspect that my landlady--who doesn't know about the hobby and doesn't know that I pursue it--will call the bomb squad when she comes across the stash of motors and igniters in my apartment.

raohara
03-04-2010, 12:09 AM
My Dad is leaving me his collection through his will, but I am not waiting to inherit. With his permission I am attempting to sell most of his collection now. Long term I am not convinced the uptrend in prices is sustainable. Might as well get some decent money while I can. But, I'll keep a few around just in case I am wrong.

Rocket Doctor
03-04-2010, 07:22 AM
If we had a rocket museum, we could all leave our collections to that, to preserve the hobby. Too many collections are being lost for many reasons and the great historical items are gone forever.

The Smithsonian would be another option, they have a great collection of Orville Carlisle and some G. Harry Stine items in their collection under climate controlled conditions. I was fortunate to see it during the NARAM 50 era.

They need to put up a display and show these items off.

Another option I have suggested in the past , is a museum at Space Camp in Huntsville, the new generation of rocketeers would benefits from such a musaum at that facility.

The museum concept would be great so that many others can benefit from all the great rocketry items out there.

DeanHFox
03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
If we had a rocket museum, we could all leave our collections to that, to preserve the hobby.One of the things about leaving all our model rocketry collections to a museum is that you'd probably need two of every "kit", anyway --- one to be carefully constructed for display, the other a pristine example of what the kit looked like. Perhaps examples of all the face card artwork, once that trend started.

Part of the appeal of a "museum" environment is VIEWING something. While most of us here would drool at the sight of an original pre-Damon Estes shipping box, loaded with a selection of that era's kits, the average Joe walking past the display would just see a cardboard box with some paper and balsa in it.

Now, display case after display case filled with colorful rockets (ala the famous Lee Piester "Country Club" photo) would, I think, make for a visually exciting and appealing exhibit (or museum, if we could get enough of them together). :)

jbuscaglia
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Long term I am not convinced the uptrend in prices is sustainable.

I tend to agree with you. The folks who are most interested in acquiring kits from the '60s and '70s are getting older and dying off. These kits don't hold the same meaning for younger rocketeers. Supply and demand will drive the prices down in the not-too-distant future.

mojo1986
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I tend to agree with you. The folks who are most interested in acquiring kits from the '60s and '70s are getting older and dying off. These kits don't hold the same meaning for younger rocketeers. Supply and demand will drive the prices down in the not-too-distant future.

Yup, I agree. We are the ones who grew up through that magic time when man first ventured into space. The sight of all those larger and larger rockets lifting heavier and heavier payloads was, for me, awe inspiring. Kids today don't seem to care much about rockets, or even space for that matter, unless they are encouraged in that direction by old timers like us. For most kids, it's 'Show me a video game'.

Every time I see an Estes kit with the old yellow hangtag I start to salivate. My kids, understandably so, just don't get the appeal. So, I started selling off my collection a couple of years ago. I'm convinced it made good financial sense. If you are accumulating rocket kits nowadays, do it because you just want to have them, not as part of your investment strategy.

Joe

Rocket Doctor
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
We all have invested greatly in our collections for our on benefit, so, why should other benefit when we go to the big launch pad in the sky.

It's unfortunale that kids today can't experience what we did growing up in the 60's and knowing about the space program and such.

Oh, did you say the pizza was just delivered, get me the TV controller...........SAD

Les
03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Heck - I'm hoping my family will strap all my rockets to my casket and launch me into the wild blue yonder :chuckle:

chanstevens
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Yup, I agree. We are the ones who grew up through that magic time when man first ventured into space. The sight of all those larger and larger rockets lifting heavier and heavier payloads was, for me, awe inspiring. Kids today don't seem to care much about rockets, or even space for that matter, unless they are encouraged in that direction by old timers like us. For most kids, it's 'Show me a video game'.

Every time I see an Estes kit with the old yellow hangtag I start to salivate. My kids, understandably so, just don't get the appeal. So, I started selling off my collection a couple of years ago. I'm convinced it made good financial sense. If you are accumulating rocket kits nowadays, do it because you just want to have them, not as part of your investment strategy.

Joe

If it weren't for kids growing up on video games, would we ever have seen Mars rovers?

If it weren't for kids spending too much time playing with computers and too little time building models, would we all be chatting amongst ourselves reminiscing about the good old days on this internet thing? Would we be able to quickly find, order, and pay for parts to clone some of our nostalgic designs, then download the plans from Jim Z?

OK, so after the space race generation, we abandoned space exploration, but if we'd stuck with it, would we have mapped the human genome? Would agricultural production have grown exponentially, allowing a smaller and smaller number of farmers to feed a greater number of people, and by the way, developing a strain of wheat that is impervious to the fungus that had sporadically wiped out huge crops and led to roving famine (the miracle of Sr31 gene wheat)?

Lamenting the lack of respect the next generation has for the values of the previous generation has been around since, well, parents. It's also why for just about every hobby-based collectible you'll see a gradual rise in value, followed by a sharp decline, prolonged bottom, then sharp spike back up. First generation uses disposable income to buy back nostalgic mementos of the glory days. Next generation sells off the relics without much interest. Subsequent generations discard or fail to preserve them. 4-6 generations later they become fascinating antiques, and rarity drives up value again. If it doesn't pass through that lack of interest that leads to so many "priceless" collectibles being thrown out, they'd never be cherished or priceless.

You're dead on with the advice to keep for enjoyment, not for investment, unless you want to lock them up in a time capsule/trust that will skip at least 2-3 generations, at which point you might be able to laugh from the grave and prove your financial prowess.

--Chan Stevens

blackshire
03-04-2010, 09:09 PM

JoeJoe, while I agree with Chan Stevens' reply (#17), for now the old kits will begin to decrease in value. I can give a dramatic example of this:

In the 1960s, my late friend Gary Moore bought an old IBM electric typewriter at a swap meet in Miami. It wasn't functional, but it was in very good condition, and it only required a good cleaning, lubrication, and a few adjustments to get it working again. When Gary couldn't find a ribbon that was specified for it (the local supplier had never heard of an IBM typewriter with its model number), he called IBM's corporate headquarters to inquire if the ribbon product numbers might have changed over the years.

When he gave them the typewriter's model number, they didn't believe him. It turned out that Gary had found the *only* surviving example of just six prototype electric typewriters (the first electric typewriters in the world!) that IBM had built for the War Department, for use at the Pentagon during World War II. The War Department loved the new electric typewriters and ordered IBM's first production model in large quantities. They returned the six prototypes to IBM, who destroyed all of them except for one, which disappeared.

(The destruction of the prototype electric typewriters was likely done for security reasons--the Germans also kept their then-new tape recorder/player technology secret and removed or destroyed taping equipment at their radio stations during the allies' advance through Europe. British intelligence agents eventually captured examples of the German tape recorder/players. They had suspected the existence of the technology years before the war, when they noticed that all of Hitler's regular broadcasts started exactly 15 seconds after the hour. It turned out to be a tape audio-delay system [that allowed "live" elimination of reading errors in Hitler's speeches] like those used at talk radio stations today to "dump" obscene language from telephone callers before it gets out on the air.)

When IBM learned that Gary had the one-and-only first model of the first electric typewriter (they did have a ribbon type that would work with it), they flew company representatives down to Miami to see it. They offered him $50,000 for the typewriter (a lot of money in the 1960s!), which they wanted for their company's museum. To them, it was as if the Ford Motor Company had no Model-T in their museum--they wanted the typewriter *very* badly.

Gary was quite tempted, but he declined their offer, and he actually used the typewriter in his home-based electronic services business until he died in 1996 (he had a computer by that time, but he still used the typewriter for typing up carbon-copy forms and carbon-less multi-copy forms).

Here's the kicker: After Gary died in 1996, his nephew David contacted IBM to see how much they might be willing to pay for it. The new, younger personnel at the company had no interest in the historic machine, even after he informed them about its significance! Perhaps one or two generations hence, someone at IBM will appreciate the one-of-a-kind typewriter's significance and offer David's descendants a large sum for it, but for now it is just another old, obsolete electric typewriter.

GuyNoir
03-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Barb's and my will state that (a) the balsa wood goes to someone who knows how to use good contest grade stuff and (b) that the rocket stuff goes to a local guy I trust to "do the right thing" with it.

Next time we connect, remind me to tell you the story of what became of the "Al Neinast" collection.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Next time we connect, remind me to tell you the story of what became of the "Al Neinast" collection.

And THAT, ladies and germs, is what we call a TEASER. :mad: No fair, Mark. I have PDS and making me wait could be harmful to my emotional well being. :rolleyes:

Mark II
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I have no intention of going through the checkout line until I have built every rocket that I will ever want to build, and have worn them all out by launching them on every motor that I will ever want to burn. Anything short of that will be a premature death, and I don't make plans for unanticipated events.

MarkII

tbzep
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I have no intention of going through the checkout line until I have built every rocket that I will ever want to build, and have worn them all out by launching them on every motor that I will ever want to burn. Anything short of that will be a premature death, and I don't make plans for unanticipated events.

MarkII

Then you will live forever because I know you want to launch at least one rocket on a new B14-5 motor. ;)

Rocket Doctor
03-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Your final flight.......Go out with a bang

Check this out

http://angels-flight.net

Or you could have your cremains put into a payload section and launched in your favorite rocket......

lurker01
03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Chan,

After reading your posting and thinking about it over the past few days, I have decided to respond to you and the thread; I really shouldn’t post anymore because all it does is just get me into trouble and frustration.

“I was noticing all the recent posts about some bizarre high/low Ebay pricing lately, and my thoughts turned towards mortality, realizing that if I went first, my wife wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with any of my rocketry stuff, and I certainly have a lot of stuff (500+ built, 400+ unbuilt, etc.).

--Chan Stevens”

This was a good question and well its something that I have thought long and hard about and discussed with my wife. To sum it up, I die before she, she can then sell the rockets to live off of; a pseudo-life insurance policy. If she dies, I will the bulk of the lot to the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry as this was the main impetus for my desire to understand the world and the universe. Here the items would allow other young minds to think beyond themselves and strive for something greater.

As for what I have, well lets just say, you people go goo-goo gah-gah for a 1962/63/64 catalog as well you should. But what if you had the chance to actually hold the film negatives and mark-ups that made that same catalog? What if you had film footage of early R&D testing of kits that became famous and those that never were? So much was lost, some was saved.

No for me, its not about making a buck as so many of you are into. You care noting about the lives model rocketry has touched; only the ebay final winning bid! OOHHHHHHHHHHH BOY!

For myself, model rocketry was the only thing positive in my childhood. The beatings, the verbal and psychological abuse, the sexual abuse… I would stare at my model for hours wishing I could board it and leave this ‘garbage can’ of a planet for ever.

No for some of you its all about bragging about what you were left by a dead friend, or being born with a silver spoon in your mouth and dad spending $50 (1966 value) on rockets, motors, and launchers, yet some of us could barely afford an Alpha, launch system and a couple of motors per year; AT BEST!

No for me, model rocketry means far far far more that it does for the majority of you. I am not in it for the $$$, the college fund, the retirement … the GREED. Yet I have to compete with many of you in a ‘greed’ fashion to capture and preserve the history. Yes, ‘The History’.

I could very easily start placing certain items up on ebay and rake in the $$$, but [model rocketry isn’t a whore to me as it is to some of you]. In the year 2067, there will be people who will lookup and wonder. In the year 2177, there will be people boarding spaceships and heading off to distant worlds. In the year 2209, there will be people who appreciate, and desire anything rocketry from the 20th Century.

So I don’t care if a K kit that sold for $458 last week sells for $0.50 in 30,300,3000 years … its not about the money for me as it is obviously for some of you. If I can garner a K Kit or Rare Centuri kit for $2.00 or $200.00 its all the same with me.

Lurker01 - Someone who really loves and lives rocketry.

If I could only go to where Maj. Tom went…

blackshire
03-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Chan,

After reading your posting and thinking about it over the past few days, I have decided to respond to you and the thread; I really shouldn’t post anymore because all it does is just get me into trouble and frustration.

“I was noticing all the recent posts about some bizarre high/low Ebay pricing lately, and my thoughts turned towards mortality, realizing that if I went first, my wife wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with any of my rocketry stuff, and I certainly have a lot of stuff (500+ built, 400+ unbuilt, etc.).

--Chan Stevens”

This was a good question and well its something that I have thought long and hard about and discussed with my wife. To sum it up, I die before she, she can then sell the rockets to live off of; a pseudo-life insurance policy. If she dies, I will the bulk of the lot to the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry as this was the main impetus for my desire to understand the world and the universe. Here the items would allow other young minds to think beyond themselves and strive for something greater.

As for what I have, well lets just say, you people go goo-goo gah-gah for a 1962/63/64 catalog as well you should. But what if you had the chance to actually hold the film negatives and mark-ups that made that same catalog? What if you had film footage of early R&D testing of kits that became famous and those that never were? So much was lost, some was saved.

No for me, its not about making a buck as so many of you are into. You care noting about the lives model rocketry has touched; only the ebay final winning bid! OOHHHHHHHHHHH BOY!

For myself, model rocketry was the only thing positive in my childhood. The beatings, the verbal and psychological abuse, the sexual abuse… I would stare at my model for hours wishing I could board it and leave this ‘garbage can’ of a planet for ever.

No for some of you its all about bragging about what you were left by a dead friend, or being born with a silver spoon in your mouth and dad spending $50 (1966 value) on rockets, motors, and launchers, yet some of us could barely afford an Alpha, launch system and a couple of motors per year; AT BEST!

No for me, model rocketry means far far far more that it does for the majority of you. I am not in it for the $$$, the college fund, the retirement … the GREED. Yet I have to compete with many of you in a ‘greed’ fashion to capture and preserve the history. Yes, ‘The History’.

I could very easily start placing certain items up on ebay and rake in the $$$, but [model rocketry isn’t a whore to me as it is to some of you]. In the year 2067, there will be people who will lookup and wonder. In the year 2177, there will be people boarding spaceships and heading off to distant worlds. In the year 2209, there will be people who appreciate, and desire anything rocketry from the 20th Century.

So I don’t care if a K kit that sold for $458 last week sells for $0.50 in 30,300,3000 years … its not about the money for me as it is obviously for some of you. If I can garner a K Kit or Rare Centuri kit for $2.00 or $200.00 its all the same with me.

Lurker01 - Someone who really loves and lives rocketry.

If I could only go to where Maj. Tom went…To be blunt, you can't. I wonder how many friendships and romantic relationships you may have failed to find because you have allowed your past to have control over you and eat away at your soul? I know adult people who were physically and verbally abused by their parents while growing up, yet they now enjoy friendships, stable marriages, and healthy relationships with their own children because of a realization and a choice:

They realized that although they had little control over their childhood relationships with their parents, they had *full* control over the kinds of relationships they could have with their friends, spouses, and children. They also made a conscious decision to make these new relationships everything that their relationships with their abusive parents were not--stable, peaceful, and mutually beneficial. None of these people are super-heroes; they simply decided to make of their lives what *they* wanted. You could do the same.

In your message above, you claimed to know the motivations in people's hearts for their selling and buying collectable model rocketry items. Unless you possess telepathic/empathic gifts or are some kind of divine being above the level of humanity, you could not possibly know their motivations, let alone judge them.

Money, like a hammer or a firearm, is amoral; it is nothing more and nothing less than a tool. Only the "wielder" of money (who can use it for good purposes or evil purposes) has a moral dimension.

If a person sells his or her model rocket collection and uses the money to enable his or her children to go to college, that is a good thing. It is also a good thing if the collection owner uses the money to help pay for his or her retirement. Both are examples of being responsible for "carrying one's weight" to the greatest extent possible rather than expecting others to pay for these things via taxpayer-funded programs (although I certainly don't begrudge those who find themselves "hard up" due to circumstances beyond their control).

While I don't crave "the latest" electronic gadgets and other material things and have never felt any need to "keep up with the Joneses" (being a late child of Great Depression-era parents no doubt has something to do with it), I make no apologies for having--and enjoying using--more money than I need for a strictly subsistence lifestyle. While money certainly can't buy happiness, it definitely makes it easier to deal with unhappiness.

GuyNoir
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
And THAT, ladies and germs, is what we call a TEASER. :mad: No fair, Mark. I have PDS and making me wait could be harmful to my emotional well being. :rolleyes:

Sorry.

I should have sent this directly to Chan via PM.

I'm certain you'll find a way to cope . . . .

Rocket Doctor
03-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I think we all need to sit back and catch our breath. We are all fellow rocketeers here.

rokitflite
03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Umm, no... Just ONE of us.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Sorry.

I should have sent this directly to Chan via PM.

I'm certain you'll find a way to cope . . . .

Nah, I just want to hear the story. :D

LeeR
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Heck - I'm hoping my family will strap all my rockets to my casket and launch me into the wild blue yonder :chuckle:

I would consider it an honor to attend that event. And I'd be proud to be in the crowd, and offer up that BIC lighter to get the torch roaring ...

georgegassaway
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, I’m going to be putting several kits on ebay soon.

Mainly for a plain and simple reason that I guess “Lurker No-one” would not give a d*** about:

TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!

I have a credit card bill I need to pay off (or at least start paying down). I never previously allowed the credit card bill to build up, paid it off very month. But last Fall I had to use it to pay the rent and a few other bills, before I finally got the part-time job I have now.

But the job I have now is only paying for about 75%-80% of my monthly expenses, and I have cut spending to be bone. The next "luxury item” I buy might be a skillet.

I have not even bought a pack of rocket motors since last summer. My primary expense at rocket launches the last few months has been the gas to drive there, what little I’ve flown has been with motors I already had.

As of yesterday, having paid rent this week and minimum payment on the credit card, I had a whopping $153 in my bank account.

To help supplement my income, I plan to come out with a 1/110 scale space shuttle kit. But I can’t even afford to do it right now, since it’ll take a few hundred bucks to get the masters and molds ready, plus the raw supplies like tubes and balsa.

So, the kits I auction, if they help raise enough to pay more than the bills, will also help provide the seed money to finally get the shuttle kit off the ground.

Preview of some of the kits I plan to put in eBay:
Estes 1/100 Saturn-V from the late 1990’s. Unopened, mint.
Estes Maxi V-2 (from 1999), unopened, mint.

Centuri 1/100 Saturn-V (late 1970's), still shrinkwrapped, mint.

North Coast 1/72 Space Shuttle kit (early kit that had no pretty box, useful more for building than for collecting).
Mongram plastic 1/72 shuttle with ET and SRB’s, shrinkwrapped.

I’ll post a list elsewhere on this forum when I have them (and a few others) up on eBay.

I’m not going to let go of all my goodies, things are not that desperate (yet). And I hope to get over the hump so I won’t have to give up some kits I really would like to keep for many more years.

- George Gassaway

blackshire
03-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I would consider it an honor to attend that event. And I'd be proud to be in the crowd, and offer up that BIC lighter to get the torch roaring ...How about a Wan Hu-style send-off? (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu ) It could also double as a funeral pyre if the chair was first soaked in or coated with a suitable flame accelerant.

blackshire
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, I’m going to be putting several kits on ebay soon.

Mainly for a plain and simple reason that I guess “Lurker No-one” would not give a d*** about:

TO KEEP THE LIGHTS ON!

-SNIP- (See Reply #31 above for the full text)

To help supplement my income, I plan to come out with a 1/110 scale space shuttle kit. But I can’t even afford to do it right now, since it’ll take a few hundred bucks to get the masters and molds ready, plus the raw supplies like tubes and balsa.

So, the kits I auction, if they help raise enough to pay more than the bills, will also help provide the seed money to finally get the shuttle kit off the ground.

-SNIP- (See Reply #31 above for the list of George's rocket kits that are for sale)George, would it help if some of us (and perhaps also model rocket vendors) placed paid pre-orders for your upcoming 1/110 scale Space Shuttle kit? That could cover your tooling costs for it and then some.

georgegassaway
03-06-2010, 08:41 PM
George, would it help if some of us (and perhaps also model rocket vendors) placed paid pre-orders for your upcoming 1/110 scale Space Shuttle kit? That could cover your tooling costs for it and then some.

Thanks for suggesting that I take pre-paid orders.

I do not want to take paid pre-orders in case for any reason the kit did not happen, and then I’d be stuck owing people money.

I think that selling old kits on eBay will help raise the $. And tonight Sandman has made me a gracious offer in trade that I may take him up on. I had already contacted him months ago about making the wood mold patterns I’ll need for doing the vac-formed ET & SRB parts (I have my own vac-form gear).

I plan to come out with the kit in limited production at first. So, this is why a huge chunk will be the initial start-up costs such as for the molds and such. I’ll buy enough “supplies” (tubes, rings, lugs, wood, etc) for about 14 kits, figuring 2 kits for final prototypes, 2 kits to send to a couple of people for fast feedback on construction and the instructions, and 10 kits to sell. I do know the first 10 kits will sell out fast.

What I get from selling those first 10 kits will pay for the initial costs to get the kit into production (like the molds and such), the supplies, and then more supplies to produce another run of 10-20 kits. So I might not make any $ off the first limited production run, but it will open the door to make money on every kit after that.

BTW - it’s going to be about a fun flying shuttle kit, to watch fly. It’s not going to be a detailed kit to look at close-up. More info here:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8053

- George Gassaway

Green Dragon
03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I know how Gearoge feels - I've been in and out of work the lasy year myself, my savings is almost gone, and I keep treading water day to day .

Not much left for models or parts- have gotten some goodies bu selling off others - sort of 'trading places' with other hobby items or interests.

Have not gotten much response to any for sale posts here on YORF, so will be left with ebay on the remaining items.

still sorting, if I;m never going to rebuild and fly, then the birds might better move along - same with HPR stuff ( hardware,etc ) ... can not give up the hobby :), just have to juggle enough to find a way :D

I dare say it is not about greed or and ulterior motives as has been suggested, but IS about the love of the hobby.

Pay Forward :)

~ AL

Ltvscout
03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Not much left for models or parts- have gotten some goodies bu selling off others - sort of 'trading places' with other hobby items or interests.

Have not gotten much response to any for sale posts here on YORF, so will be left with ebay on the remaining items.
Were you ever able to find that model I PM'ed you about or had you already sold that one?

Green Dragon
03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Scott,

sorry to say I think that one is gone :(

if I run into it in a box, you will be the first to know :)

figured some of the purists here would want the genuine vintage builtups, but no worries, they'll find nice homes

~ AL

LeeR
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
If it weren't for kids growing up on video games, would we ever have seen Mars rovers? --Chan Stevens

I'm struggling with this one. If we had politicians that understood that human interest in the space program means human involvement in the space program, we could have watched humans on big rovers, describing what Mars is like.

I think the Space Shuttle was a huge waste, taught us little, and we should have invested in manned exploration to the Moon again, and beyond. And this would not have had to be done at the exclusion of all the other great scientific achievements in agriculture, medicine, etc.

We are the good ol' USA, and we used to be able to achieve anything we set our minds to achieving.

Mark II
03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Then you will live forever because I know you want to launch at least one rocket on a new B14-5 motor. ;)Yes, that's the plan. :D

MarkII