PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Apollo Capsule 1/70

snaquin
02-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Alright, I know I'm not the only one that goes to the Semroc site almost every day and types in "kit" in the search box. I'm sure there's a name somewhere for this type of disorder :rolleyes:

Theres a picture of the Apollo Capsule 1/70 there now ..... we're getting closer guys!

wilsotr
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm getting goosebumps. Stop teasing.

wilsotr
02-06-2006, 08:29 PM
BTW, you're not the only who goes to the Semroc site and types kit in the search block every day .... trust me. Maybe we can get a good rate on group therapy.

ghrocketman
02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm there every day checking on the S1B, LJII, Mars Lander, Apollo Capsule, and Aero-Dart.
I can't wait....They have been coming SOON for quite some time ! :D :D :D

Bob H
02-06-2006, 09:39 PM
BTW, you're not the only who goes to the Semroc site and types kit in the search block every day .... trust me. Maybe we can get a good rate on group therapy.
You guys should get a life. ;)

I only go to the Semroc site to check on new kits 3-4 times a week :rolleyes:

I am also waiting, not so patiently, for the Saturn 1B so the appearance of the capsule is a good sign.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't even know how to check, so I'm blissful in my ignorance. ;)

Countdown
02-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I must say I am also a victim of the "kits" serach disorder...

its only beucase I have soo many people asking.. hey whens semroc gonna have that 1B?

ghrocketman
02-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally it was hinted to that Semroc was trying to have the 1B/LJII/Apollo Capsule out before X-Mas 2005, but that did not happen. They sent me a message regarding this as I was "lets say" asking quite often when it will come out. Carl explained that they wanted it to be 100% right before launch and that did not happen before X-Mas.
All I know is it seems like it has been coming SOON for a LONG time. :D
I for one am anxiously awaiting the launch to say the least....I'm hoping before NARCON, as this would be over three months after when they were trying for.
All I know is all the Semroc products I have were worth waiting for as I find their products to be superior to the glory days of Estes/Centuri in the late 60's/early to mid 70's.
I find Semroc/Carl & all their staff to be second to none when it comes to selection, quality, and customer service/satisfaction. I just wish they would bring out some of their "Coming SOON" products closer to sooner than later ! :p :p :p

Ltvscout
02-10-2006, 05:58 PM
All I know is it seems like it has been coming SOON for a LONG time. :D
I for one am anxiously awaiting the launch to say the least....I'm hoping before NARCON, as this would be over three months after when they were trying for.
All I know is all the Semroc products I have were worth waiting for as I find their products to be superior to the glory days of Estes/Centuri in the late 60's/early to mid 70's.
I find Semroc/Carl & all their staff to be second to none when it comes to selection, quality, and customer service/satisfaction.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Semroc will release a number of new kits at NARCON, or the week leading up to it.

Countdown
02-11-2006, 12:44 AM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Semroc will release a number of new kits at NARCON, or the week leading up to it.

Are you a betting man???

I think they should send Countdown a couple dozen 1B's before anywhere else and let me have a pre-sale... heh heh

ghrocketman
02-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Countdown:
They (Semroc) already have a pre-order list that several names have been placed on.
Not sure if Carl is allowing any businesses/distributors to be on the list though.

Tau Zero
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Dear Bruce,

I think they should send Countdown a couple dozen 1B's before anywhere else and let me have a pre-sale... heh heh

Shyeah, right. :eek:

Good luck with that. (Big Evil Grin)

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"
Twin Falls, Idaho

Countdown
02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Countdown:
They (Semroc) already have a pre-order list that several names have been placed on.
Not sure if Carl is allowing any businesses/distributors to be on the list though.

Its not really a "pre-order" though becuase they wont take your money, its just more of an information list... like hey its out come get it...

Ltvscout
02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Its not really a "pre-order" though becuase they wont take your money, its just more of an information list... like hey its out come get it...
The way I recall Carl working that is it's a waiting list for those that like to get low production numbers. Semroc keeps production # 1-5 of each kit for their own collection. Those on the lists would be given the opportunity to purchase #6 on up in the order they were placed on the lists.

Countdown
02-11-2006, 01:52 PM
The way I recall Carl working that is it's a waiting list for those that like to get low production numbers. Semroc keeps production # 1-5 of each kit for their own collection. Those on the lists would be given the opportunity to purchase #6 on up in the order they were placed on the lists.

I wonder how much we would have to shell out for #1?

Bob H
02-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Carl has a waiting list???? I would like to be on that list. I don't care what the production number is. I just want one to build.

Tau Zero
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I wonder how much we would have to shell out for #1?Carl keeps #s 1-5. If you're lucky, you *might* get one of #6-10.

Like I said, "Good luck." ;)

--Jay

Vanel
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Mars Lander pic is up, and the number of kits has increased from 60 to 62. Methinks the time is getting close... :D

<Wipes drool of anticipation from mouth>

snaquin
02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
The "soon" box on the left hand side of the screen looks like it has also changed .....

1. Apollo Capsule
2. Mars Lander
3. cc:X-21
4. Saturn 1B
5. Little Joe II
6. V-2
7. Taurus

I guess we should consider these "soonest" when sorting through the "soons"

Bob H
02-18-2006, 09:01 AM
The "soon" box on the left hand side of the screen looks like it has also changed .....

1. Apollo Capsule
2. Mars Lander
3. cc:X-21
4. Saturn 1B
5. Little Joe II
6. V-2
7. Taurus

I guess we should consider these "soonest" when sorting through the "soons"

I saw that! I'm waiting for the Saturn 1B.

I already got the parts for the X-21. The laser cut fin set is really nice.

snaquin
02-19-2006, 08:33 AM
#5 on the "soon" list now has it's image up on the Semroc site

Little Joe II

The RockSim files for the Little Joe II and Mars Lander are there but don't appear to be finished yet. The downloaded file sizes are too small and don't open.

Ltvscout
02-19-2006, 08:46 AM
#5 on the "soon" list now has it's image up on the Semroc site

Little Joe II

The RockSim files for the Little Joe II and Mars Lander are there but don't appear to be finished yet. The downloaded file sizes are too small and don't open.
The X-21 and V-2 also have pictures now.

JRThro
02-20-2006, 09:46 AM
The X-21 and V-2 also have pictures now.
For some reason I've become interested in getting a V-2.

I wonder what Carl will have with him at NARCON....

rraeford
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Probably numbers 6-10 of each kit — and then some. I sent an email to Carl over a month ago asking to reserve some low numbered kits (in response to a post where he asked people to do so) but never heard back.

I imagine he's got a ton of stuff on his plate. I'm encouraged to hear that he keeps #s 1-5 because I have a couple of number 6s and 7s. That was a while ago though, before his product became so well known. I'm really glad to see a high number when I receive a kit now because it means he's selling a lot.

Romie

dwmzmm
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
For some reason I've become interested in getting a V-2.

I wonder what Carl will have with him at NARCON....

The data on that V-2 suggests it's a near clone of the Estes original V-2 kit...

ghrocketman
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
I think I have SST Shuttle #6...I'll have to check.
If it is that low, I'll have to buy another to build !

Countdown
02-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Semroc makes me wonder why people waste time complaining about the selection ESTES offers when they could just buy Semroc, and for less!

Ltvscout
02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Semroc makes me wonder why people waste time complaining about the selection ESTES offers when they could just buy Semroc, and for less!
A LOT less!

CPMcGraw
02-21-2006, 11:51 AM

My $0.02 worth...

Because while SEMROC certainly makes better KITS than Estes, we still depend on Estes to provide motors. The powers-that-be at Estes have a horribly narrow-sighted view of the rocketry world -- if they don't make it, we don't need it, and they won't support it if they don't make it. Why do you think they keep dropping motors from production, even when other manufacturers have multiple kits in their line-ups that need them? Because Estes isn't manufacturing anything that needs them, thus they feel like they don't need to make items they don't have a direct need for.

Hard as it may seem, we need Estes kits to hang around on the shelves; and to keep them there we need to purchase a few from time-to-time. If we stop buying Estes kits, Estes will see it as an excuse to drop more motors that we really need.

Countdown
02-21-2006, 11:56 AM
My $0.02 worth...

Because while SEMROC certainly makes better KITS than Estes, we still depend on Estes to provide motors. The powers-that-be at Estes have a horribly narrow-sighted view of the rocketry world -- if they don't make it, we don't need it, and they won't support it if they don't make it. Why do you think they keep dropping motors from production, even when other manufacturers have multiple kits in their line-ups that need them? Because Estes isn't manufacturing anything that needs them, thus they feel like they don't need to make items they don't have a direct need for.

Hard as it may seem, we need Estes kits to hang around on the shelves; and to keep them there we need to purchase a few from time-to-time. If we stop buying Estes kits, Estes will see it as an excuse to drop more motors that we really need.

Oh I love Estes dont get me wrong, I was just saying for those who liked the older kits and wanted them back dont waste your time or money waiting for Estes, semroc is the way to go.

Fact is without Estes we wouldnt be talking right now... so much respect to them but as for the old repro kits, semroc all the way.

rraeford
02-21-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm certain that Estes adds and deletes motors based soley on sales projections/results. I wish they felt the need to continue motor production for at least a year or two after dropping kits that need certain motors.

Romie

rraeford
02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
grocketman wrote:

I think I have SST Shuttle #6...I'll have to check.

Hey, I've got a couple of low number kits. I'll swap for that one...if your interested.

Romie

CPMcGraw
02-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh I love Estes dont get me wrong, I was just saying for those who liked the older kits and wanted them back dont waste your time or money waiting for Estes, semroc is the way to go.

Fact is without Estes we wouldnt be talking right now... so much respect to them but as for the old repro kits, semroc all the way.

Agreed. Estes is a company we all love and hate, because we rely almost exclusively on them for keeping us in the air. There are just so many things Estes could do to get us to love them more...:D

snaquin
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
We're all so lucky to have Semroc, it's a one stop shop for parts. Engine mounts, centering rings and nose cones that fit the LT thick walled tubing. You can't recreate some of the old NCR Hypersonic or SSRS (Crown) Lasor series without those. Until I found about about Semroc through this forum I had no idea anyone had this type of selection.

And really, a Little Joe II - Mars Lander & Saturn 1B planned for my $100 gift certificate and I get two bucks to spare and free shipping on any size order ..... Hey Moe pinch me so that I know I'm not dreaming.

And I agree, with out Estes or similar BP motors in the smaller sizes the limititation would be RMS and "D" loads with a min 18mm mount.

ghrocketman
02-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I just found my Semroc SST Shuttle...it is not #6, it is #8 and is NOT for trade or sale.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I just found my Semroc SST Shuttle...it is not #6, it is #8 and is NOT for trade or sale.

I'll alert the media.

rraeford
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Don't blame you a bit. Anyone else have a Semroc SST with a number under 10 they would swap for a Laser-X kit #7? Please email me at romie@romzoom.com.

Romie

ghrocketman
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Bill for your commentary, Mr.Weisenheimer ! :p :p
The media alert can be cancelled ;) ; I was responding to rraeford.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks Bill for your commentary, Mr.Weisenheimer ! :p :p
The media alert can be cancelled ;) ; I was responding to rraeford.

I don't let that stop me. ;)

Tau Zero
02-26-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't let that stop me. ;)Bad news: Yeah, Bill got ahold of me, so the word's already out.

Good news: Now you can officially sing the ZZ Top song, "I'm bad/I'm nationwide." :eek:

Plus, you can rack up the price you've already been charging for autographs. ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Ltvscout
02-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks Bill for your commentary, Mr.Weisenheimer !
"Get the Weisenheimer brainstorm."

Bonus points to those that can name the band AND the song those lyrics are from. No fair cheating by looking it up on the net!

Hint, it was my favorite band in high school.

Ltvscout
02-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Good news: Now you can officially sing the ZZ Top song, "I'm bad/I'm nationwide." :eek:
Eek?! That's a great song and a great band!

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-26-2006, 09:39 PM
"Get the Weisenheimer brainstorm."

Bonus points to those that can name the band AND the song those lyrics are from. No far cheating by looking it up on the net!

Hint, it was my favorite band in high school.

And one of mine.
"I'm In Touch With your World" - The Cars :cool:

Ltvscout
02-26-2006, 09:46 PM
And one of mine.
Ding, ding, ding! Throw the man a bone.

Ltvscout
02-26-2006, 09:47 PM
And one of mine.
They do suck in concert though. They're strictly a studio band if you want the music/singing to sound anything like what you're used to. ;) I saw them in concert twice.

SEL
02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
They do suck in concert though. They're strictly a studio band if you want the music/singing to sound anything like what you're used to. ;) I saw them in concert twice.

I was working at WEA back when Teh Cars second album (rememeber *albums*?) came out,
and we were all invited to the album release party. I don't know if it was the substance abuse or not, but they sounded pretty good that night.

Trivial fact: My brother went to high school with Dave Robinson, the drummer.

Sean

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Ding, ding, ding! Throw the man a bone.

I prefer barbecued pork ribs. :D
Come on. That was too easy. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-26-2006, 10:40 PM

They showed up here and some of my friends went. It was the Heartbeat City tour in 1984 and I'd lost interest by then. They all said the show was terrible. Like watching automatons. The band wasn't even sure where they were.
Their first three albums were great. Shake It Up was less than great, and Heartbeat City, while a huge portion of the soundtrack to one of my favorite years, was WAY too poppy. I didn't even give Door To Door the time of day.

snaquin
03-02-2006, 03:47 PM
My daily visit to the Semroc site revealed the following RockSim files appear to be complete and ready for download:

Mars Lander
Saturn 1B
V2

Little Joe II file downloads but still doesn't run so it's probably not finished just yet. Same for the Apollo Capsule.

Open up the Mars Lander file and play with it in the 3-D view and tell me it's not just the COOLEST thing!

Now if I could just add it to my cart .....

:D

JRThro
03-03-2006, 07:51 AM
They showed up here and some of my friends went. It was the Heartbeat City tour in 1984 and I'd lost interest by then. They all said the show was terrible. Like watching automatons. The band wasn't even sure where they were.
Their first three albums were great. Shake It Up was less than great, and Heartbeat City, while a huge portion of the soundtrack to one of my favorite years, was WAY too poppy. I didn't even give Door To Door the time of day.
Have you reviewed those albums on amazon.com?

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Have you reviewed those albums on amazon.com?

Yeah, and on www.ratemymusic.com
I take music fairly seriously. TOO seriously, according to some of my friends. ;) :rolleyes:

Carl@Semroc
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Semroc will release a number of new kits at NARCON, or the week leading up to it.Good bet!

The Apollo Capsule is ready, but not online yet. The X-21 will be complete and will be available as our free NARCON Commemorative kit at NARCON to the first 100 customers there or online. The Mars Lander will be there (90% chance), Little Joe II (75% chance) and possibly Taurus (50%) and Hustler (25%.) Saturn 1B (.001%) is ready to kit but waiting for the instructions.

Check the Reserve List (http://www.semroc.com/documents/reserve.asp) to see if your name is there.

sandman
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Carl,

LOL!

I just checked the list...it seems I already have a few items reserved. :D

Thanks!

But I emailed you I want more...Low numbers, please! ;)

ghrocketman
03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I wonder if the initials "LP" that is on the Semroc Reserve list for X-21 6 through 8 are for Lee Piester ?????

Ltvscout
03-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Good bet!
I'm psychic! ;)

Will you guys be taking plastic at NARCON, Carl?

Carl@Semroc
03-03-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm psychic! ;)

Will you guys be taking plastic at NARCON, Carl?Sure will! Paper or plastic.

Initiator001
03-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I wonder if the initials "LP" that is on the Semroc Reserve list for X-21 6 through 8 are for Lee Piester ?????

As I recall, Paul Hans entered a boost glider model in a Centuri design contest which won.

That design was used as the basis for the X-21.

Paul gets mentioned several times in older copies of The Handbook of Model Rocketry.

Many years later, he was an invester/owner in AeroTech.

Paul's a great guy. Maybe he will show up at NARAM this year. He lives over in Scottsdale, AZ.

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-04-2006, 07:12 AM
As I recall, Paul Hans entered a boost glider model in a Centuri design contest which won.

That design was used as the basis for the X-21.

Paul gets mentioned several times in older copies of The Handbook of Model Rocketry.

Many years later, he was an invester/owner in AeroTech.

Paul's a great guy. Maybe he will show up at NARAM this year. He lives over in Scottsdale, AZ.

Bob

It was the picture of him with his Mercury Joe that made me want to build my own. That was the copy of the handbook from the Highlands library, which I had checked out for the bulk of my junior year. I found an old copy of the handbook a few years ago, but I hunted down an older copy because mine didn't contain that picture.

Bob H
03-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Looks like the Apollo Capsule, Mars Lander and X-21 all are available to order.

Ready to ship when they are back from NARCON. Little Joe II and Saturn 1B can't be far behind.

snaquin
03-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Looks like the Apollo Capsule, Mars Lander and X-21 all are available to order.

Ready to ship when they are back from NARCON. Little Joe II and Saturn 1B can't be far behind.

Thanks Bob!

I just put the order in for mine :D

Question: Has anyone ever flown an original X-21 or clone? Just curious to know how well it flies.

ghrocketman
03-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I just ordered my Mars Lander and X-21 !

Bob H
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks Bob!

I just put the order in for mine :D

Question: Has anyone ever flown an original X-21 or clone? Just curious to know how well it flies. I saw Bill Spadafora's clone fly last year. It was made with Semroc laser cut fin set.

Bill is not noted for his great success with gliders but his X-21 flew very well.

tbzep
03-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I just placed my order for the Mars Lander and the cc: SST Shuttle. I'm saving my pennies for the Saturn IB, Little Joe II, and Taurus too. :D

Ltvscout
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Good bet!

The Apollo Capsule is ready, but not online yet. The X-21 will be complete and will be available as our free NARCON Commemorative kit at NARCON to the first 100 customers there or online. The Mars Lander will be there (90% chance), Little Joe II (75% chance) and possibly Taurus (50%) and Hustler (25%.) Saturn 1B (.001%) is ready to kit but waiting for the instructions.

Check the Reserve List (http://www.semroc.com/documents/reserve.asp) to see if your name is there.
Carl,

Are you going to add the new upcoming releases to your Reserve List so we can get our names in? I just took a look at it and see that there's not been much action on that list since the end of March.