PDA

View Full Version : How about the ol' Egg Crate ?

LeeCrenshaw
02-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Can anyone help me with plans for the old Centauri Egg Crate ? I know it's a BT-60 (estes equivelent) body and a BT-70 payload section, but I need tube lengths, and a fin pattern would be REAL nice !

Anyone ? You would have my undying gratitude ! That and $3.75 buys you a latte at Starbucks......

Lee

Ltvscout
02-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Can anyone help me with plans for the old Centauri Egg Crate ? I know it's a BT-60 (estes equivelent) body and a BT-70 payload section, but I need tube lengths, and a fin pattern would be REAL nice !

Anyone ? You would have my undying gratitude ! That and $3.75 buys you a latte at Starbucks......

Lee
The payload section is ST-20 which is larger than BT-70.

LeeCrenshaw
02-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I know, but the difference is a little over 1/10 of an inch, not enought to matter to me. What i really need are the tube lengths and a fin pattern.

ghrocketman
02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
The Centuri Egg Crate is exactly the same as the much newer Estes Eggspress except for the Engine mount and fin pattern.

The Estes kit used a single 18mm engine mount. The Enerjet E/F Eggcrate useda 29mm engine mount. The Centuri Egg Crate used a 3x18mm cluster engine mount. The fin pattern can be found attached below or use the link below.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1578

Ltvscout
02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
The Centuri Egg Crate is exactly the same as the much newer Estes Eggspress except for the Engine mount and fin pattern.

The Estes kit used a single 18mm engine mount. The Enerjet E/F Eggcrate useda 29mm engine mount. The Centuri Egg Crate used a 3x18mm cluster engine mount. The fin pattern can be found attached below or use the link below.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1578
No, you're thinking of the Enerjet Egg Crate. The Centuri Egg Crate was completely different.

John Brohm
02-11-2006, 01:58 PM
The payload section is ST-20 which is larger than BT-70.

Scott;

I thought ST-20 had an OD of 2.04" while BT-70 has an OD of 2.217". That would make BT-70 bigger.

Ltvscout
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Scott;

I thought ST-20 had an OD of 2.04" while BT-70 has an OD of 2.217". That would make BT-70 bigger.

Ya, I meant to say smaller. ;)

LeeCrenshaw
02-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I do understand that there is some difference in the tube sizes. I mostly want the fin pattern, and tube lengths would be helpful also. if I have to, I'll just wing it !

Vanel
08-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I was browsing egg lofters and ran across the Egg Crate (KC-11) in the 71 Centuri catalog - it struck my fancy. A quick search of the forums led me to this thread, but, alas revealed no plans. :p So I took a stab at reproducing the model from the catalog :eek:

Parts list:

Nose cone: Semroc BC-2033
Payload tube: ST-20, 5" length
Transition: Semroc BR-1620F
Sustainer body tube: ST-16, 10.5" length
3 ST-7 or BT-20 motor tube, 2.75" length
3 Semroc TB-7 thrust Blocks
Launch lug: Semroc LL-320
Parachute: Semroc CP-24

Here's the Rocksim 3D image of the rocket:

http://www.billcooke.org/files/Egg_crate/egg_crate.jpg

Rocksim file and fin pattern are attached - would appreciate any comments/corrections

Vanel
09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
I won an Ebay auction with parts to the Egg Crate, and they arrived today:

http://www.billcooke.org/images/Construction/Egg_Crate/Egg_Crate_parts.jpg

The chute wadding was an unexpected bonus, but the 1970 A5-4 motor caused me to cringe a bit. Priority mail ain't the way to ship those things :p

Measurements are:

Payload tube - ST-20, 5" length
Body tube - ST-16, 12" length (note balsa coupler glued in one end - more on this later)
Nose cone - 2.5" bezier, exact match to Semroc ST-2026

Fins (I will scan and send in patterns on Monday):

Root chord - 3.0"
Tip chord - 1.7813"
Sweep length - 2.2813"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 2.2813"

Launch lug stand-off:

Root chord - 2.0"
Tip chord - 1.625"
Sweep length - 0.1875"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 0.1875"

As you can see there are 2 launch lug stand offs on each sheet. I sincerely doubt this puppy uses all four, but suspect it does use two.

I puzzled over the lack of a balsa adapter, and originally thought it had been lost with the instructions, decals, motor tubes, etc. I also could not figure out why there was an ST-16 balsa coupler glued into the body tube and why a paper ST-20 coupler was in the parts. I did some ciphering, and figured out that using a Semroc BR-1620F adapter would put me at least an inch over the rocket length given in the catalog. :confused: I couldn't figure out what was up, and had about decided the length was a typo.

Then it hit me... :o

I went over to the parts section of the 71 catalog, and noticed there was no balsa adapter to connect a ST-16 to an ST-20 - there was only a paper one, the PR-1620, which had a shroud 1 " long.

Mystery solved - I think.

The Egg Crate used a paper shroud - seems kinda crazy for an egg lofter - and part of the ST-16 (over an inch) was used in the construction of the adapter. The balsa coupler was then used to connect the adapter+payload section to the body. Length problem solved.

Does anyone have any instructions to verify the above (and also to tell me if 2 launch lug stand offs were used)? Pretty please? :D

I am planning to clone this, but may make life simple and use a Semroc BR-1620F - at 1.2", it is a little longer than the PR-1620, but a 10.5" body tube would provide a match to the catalog length. That would save the trouble of constructing a paper one, and eliminate the need for a balsa coupler.

Now to work on drawing the decals - looking at the pic on the inside back cover of the 71 Centuri catalog, they consist of a black and red roll pattern, and a couple of lines. Also looks like 2 horizontal strips of silver foil along the egg capsule.

Rocksim file with correct fins and using the BR-1620F attached.

Green Dragon
09-21-2007, 07:00 PM
The chute wadding was an unexpected bonus, but the 1970 A5-4 motor caused me to cringe a bit. Media mail ain't the way to ship those things :p

true - although shipping this rocket kit / items shown , regardless of the engine, is ILLEGAL to ship MEDIA MAIL , which is for periodicals / books and media ONLY.
the selelr could face hefty fines is caught shipping non-media items via media mail .

~ AL

Vanel
09-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Actually the stuff in the photo arrived by priority mail - today I also received a 71 Centuri catalog by media mail.

Got them confused in the post - my apologies. :confused: Post now edited to reflect correct shipping.

stefanj
09-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Heh-heh.

Al Andrake of AAA Model Aviation Fuels shipped kits, motors, and whathaveyou by Book Rate all the time.

barone
09-22-2007, 08:02 AM

The chute wadding was an unexpected bonus, but the 1970 A5-4 motor caused me to cringe a bit. Priority mail ain't the way to ship those things :p

Measurements are:

Body tube - ST-16, 12" length (note balsa coupler glued in one end - more on this later)

Root chord - 3.0"
Tip chord - 1.7813"
Sweep length - 2.2813"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 2.2813"

Launch lug stand-off:

Root chord - 2.0"
Tip chord - 1.625"
Sweep length - 0.1875"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 0.1875"

As you can see there are 2 launch lug stand offs on each sheet. I sincerely doubt this puppy uses all four, but suspect it does use two.

I puzzled over the lack of a balsa adapter, and originally thought it had been lost with the instructions, decals, motor tubes, etc. I also could not figure out why there was an ST-16 balsa coupler glued into the body tube and why a paper ST-20 coupler was in the parts. I did some ciphering, and figured out that using a Semroc BR-1620F adapter would put me at least an inch over the rocket length given in the catalog. :confused: I couldn't figure out what was up, and had about decided the length was a typo.

I went over to the parts section of the 71 catalog, and noticed there was no balsa adapter to connect a ST-16 to an ST-20 - there was only a paper one, the PR-1620, which had a shroud 1 " long.

The Egg Crate used a paper shroud - seems kinda crazy for an egg lofter - and part of the ST-16 (over an inch) was used in the construction of the adapter. The balsa coupler was then used to connect the adapter+payload section to the body. Length problem solved.

Does anyone have any instructions to verify the above (and also to tell me if 2 launch lug stand offs were used)? Pretty please? :D

I am planning to clone this, but may make life simple and use a Semroc BR-1620F - at 1.2", it is a little longer than the PR-1620, but a 10.5" body tube would provide a match to the catalog length. That would save the trouble of constructing a paper one, and eliminate the need for a balsa coupler.

Now to work on drawing the decals - looking at the pic on the inside back cover of the 71 Centuri catalog, they consist of a black and red roll pattern, and a couple of lines. Also looks like 2 horizontal strips of silver foil along the egg capsule.

Rocksim file with correct fins and using the BR-1620F attached.Well Bill.....I don't know what to say since it seems at least two other forum guys (me being one :( ) were also bidding on this kit. I think Scott has instructions and a set of decals. Please make the patterns available. The paper shroud will probably have to be made using a shroud pattern program. I think there is a link posted on the clone page. Great gain though...

UMRS
09-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Very interesting looking kit. Did anyone check if Semroc has it on there master parts page?

Green Dragon
09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Actually the stuff in the photo arrived by priority mail - today I also received a 71 Centuri catalog by media mail.

Got them confused in the post - my apologies. :confused: Post now edited to reflect correct shipping.

hee hee, ok, that's better.

I HAVE recieved items via 'media mail' tht should not havce been sent, such as model kits, etc.. post office warned me there could be fines involved and I *should* refuse them and return to sender.

would be real bad if a non-media item was shipped erroneously AND openned to find motors ...oops ..

no biggie, I always look for engines in ebay listings as well, and bid quickly before they get pulled, lol..

~AL

Green Dragon
09-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Well Bill.....I don't know what to say since it seems at least two other forum guys (me being one :( ) were also bidding on this kit. I think Scott has instructions and a set of decals. Please make the patterns available. The paper shroud will probably have to be made using a shroud pattern program. I think there is a link posted on the clone page. Great gain though...

yep, bid on that one myself, iirc :)

we need a 'forum list' of bidders so we can let each other have stuff cheap, lol .... :D

( I try to not bid against forum / list members I recognize, but all's fair in love and rtockets :)

~ AL

Vanel
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Scan of Egg Crate fins attached - when you print, be sure to turn off scaling. Root edge should be 3" in length.

kurtschachner
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Scan of Egg Crate fins attached - when you print, be sure to turn off scaling. Root edge should be 3" in length.

Since I don't like RockSim I drew it up in Illustrator. Here is a PDF of the fins, make two sets ;)

I'll also attach a CorelDraw! file which Carl can easily cut on his laser cutter. Since the forum won't let me upload a .cdr file I zipped it up.

BTW the root isn't *exactly* 3" per your scan. Should it be adjusted?

Vanel
09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
BTW the root isn't *exactly* 3" per your scan. Should it be adjusted?

You are correct - a more precise measurement is 77.0 mm = 3.03".

Anybody got a suggestion on how to gen up the decal? You can get an idea from here (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen24.html) and the colors by looking at the yellow and black rocket near the top left here (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen96.html).

Thanks, Kurt!

kurtschachner
09-22-2007, 11:13 PM
You are correct - a more precise measurement is 77.0 mm = 3.03".

Anybody got a suggestion on how to gen up the decal? You can get an idea from here (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen24.html) and the colors by looking at the yellow and black rocket near the top left here (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen96.html).

Thanks, Kurt!

Hmm, I think I could draw that up, it seems to look a lot like another decal. Let me see what I already have. It'll have to be tomorrow though, I need sleep.

Vanel
09-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I made a stab at it - and took the name from the catalog page and tweaked it into same color scheme (My first use of the Inkjet program).

Here's what I got - fits nicely around a ST-16 :)

barone
09-23-2007, 07:40 AM
I made a stab at it - and took the name from the catalog page and tweaked it into same color scheme (My first use of the Inkjet program).

Hey...that turned out nice. But really, I think Scott needs to chime in here....Scott, you got the decals somewhere?

kurtschachner
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM

That looks pretty good. How did you draw that? Do you have a vector format instead of a jpeg? Something like an AI or EPS file?

Solomoriah
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
That looks pretty good. How did you draw that? Do you have a vector format instead of a jpeg? Something like an AI or EPS file?
Or in a lossless format like PNG or TIF?

Vanel
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Drew it using Microsoft PowerPoint :eek:

Used the Inkjet program on the kit name.

TIF file here (http://www.billcooke.org/files/Egg_crate/egg_crate_decal.tif)...

PDF attached.

Ltvscout
09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Sorry, been at our place up north over the weekend.

I had also bid on that lot. ;) I have my original Egg Crate here that is 95% built. I wanted to get the fin set mainly to scan the templates. Bill, thank you for scanning the fins for us. Yes, this kit uses a paper shroud reducer. I have my original instructions and decal still. Unfortunately, it is buried at the moment. As I straighten this mess up down here and uncover them I plan on scanning them for YORP. The kit also had three motor tubes and used engine hooks vs friction fit.

Kurt can attest to the rocket mess in my basement. Actually, I think it's gotten worse since the last time he saw it. :D

Ltvscout
09-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Bill,

Before you build it you may want to consider sending the cone to Semroc so they can get the proper dimensions for duping it. I'm not sure they have that one in their stable yet.

Vanel
09-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Bill,

Before you build it you may want to consider sending the cone to Semroc so they can get the proper dimensions for duping it. I'm not sure they have that one in their stable yet.

Here's a comparison - looking at the pic, you can see that the original Egg Crate cone is slightly more rounded than the Semroc BC-2026, though they are a close match. Still think I should send it in?

What do you think, Carl? You wish to try to replicate this puppy?

Ltvscout
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Here's a comparison - looking at the pic, you can see that the original Egg Crate cone is slightly more rounded than the Semroc BC-2026, though they are a close match. Still think I should send it in?

What do you think, Carl? You wish to try to replicate this puppy?
I would like to see the shape match the original as well as possible, if Carl can do that.

kurtschachner
09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Drew it using Microsoft PowerPoint :eek:

I just noticed you said you drew it in PowerPoint. That is a vector format (well it can be). Can you send me/post/put on a website somewhere the PP file?

Vanel
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
PowerPoint file attached (unzip first)...

Phred
10-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Bill has allowed me to use his work-up as a basis for a Corel file to print these decals. I have attached a zipped copy of the Corel file (version 12) if anyone would like to take a whack at them themselves.

Happy Egglofting!

Phred

Phred
10-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Bill, How long is the fish paper Tube Coupler that fits the ST-20?

Phred
10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Soooo... I have ordered the parts for this puppy from SEMROC. I have the fin plan.... now all I nee os the pattern for the paper transition. Does anyone have this and could they scan and send to me? How about the instructions? Was this a single motor bird, or a cluster like ESTES Scrambler?

Phred

Vanel
10-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Phred,

71 Centuri catalog says this is a 2 or 3 18 mm cluster - Looks like you have a choice.

As far as the paper adapter, I'm pretty sure it was a PR-1620, which had a 1" shroud (see lower right of here (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen62.html)). The adapter cosnsists of a ST-20 coupler, a couple of #16 to #20 rings (didn't see these on the Semroc site), and the 1" paper shroud. The shroud can be easily generated from card stock using the cool programs available.

My Ebay purchase did not have instructions, so I can't give any more details. I think someone was going to post them once they had a chance to go through their kit collection.

EDIT: As far as the length of the coupler, I do not know. Catalog gives a standard length of 1.75".

Phred
10-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Excellent, Thanks!!

I guess I will be making some centering rings..... :(

Ph

Ltvscout
10-22-2007, 05:02 PM
My Ebay purchase did not have instructions, so I can't give any more details. I think someone was going to post them once they had a chance to go through their kit collection.
That was me. I have the instructions and decals, somewhere.

Phred, this is a 3-engine cluster kit.

Phred
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah Scott, I know how you feel. I have just started cleaning out all of my cardboard zerox boxes full of kits, and sorting them into 90 quart Sterilite containers. I figure the Sterilit plastic boxes are safer in case of minor flooding... 2 of these stack neatly under my slot car track, so it is very convenient: 1 box for vintage ESTES kits, one for numbered Fliskits, Semroc, and Scott B's kits, 1 for Centuri, 1 45 Qt for Goonybirds, and another for Canaroc. 2 for 'builder' kits.... Rather than getting organozed, my basement is now a total wreck with kits EVERYWHERE!!

Ph

kurtschachner
10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Bill has allowed me to use his work-up as a basis for a Corel file to print these decals. I have attached a zipped copy of the Corel file (version 12) if anyone would like to take a whack at them themselves.

Happy Egglofting!

Phred

Phred,

Can you post a .CDR version 6 copy of this file? I generally draw in Illustrator and only have an old (OK, very old) version of CorelDraw.

No biggie but if you could, that would be great. Thanks.

Phred
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
OK Kurt,

Corel Version 12 will only retro-save back to version 7. Hopefully you can use this.

Phred

kurtschachner
10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
OK Kurt,

Corel Version 12 will only retro-save back to version 7. Hopefully you can use this.

Phred

I can! Illustrator was able to open it directly.

However, it says that you used the font "Roberta D" regular. Is there any way you can convert the fonts to strokes (I think you can do that in Corel) and resend it?

Sorry for all the "needy-ness" :o

Phred
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
No problem.

How is this?

kurtschachner
10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks Phred, I got it OK.

Here is an Adobe Illustrator file for anyone who might be interested.

Now just to build one :rolleyes:

Vanel
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Finally finished this one - other than the nose being a bit too pointy, and the adapter 0.5" too long, it turned out well :) Excelsior's decals were the usual terrific quality... Also, thanks to Earl Cagle, I now have a copy of the instructions and the paper shroud, so the next one I build will be true to the original.

If I can find a suitable nose cone...

http://www.billcooke.org/images/Fleet/eggcrate.jpg

pantherjon
03-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Looks awesome! :)

rtuinila
07-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Measurements are:

Root chord - 3.0"
Tip chord - 1.7813"
Sweep length - 2.2813"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 2.2813"

Launch lug stand-off:

Root chord - 2.0"
Tip chord - 1.625"
Sweep length - 0.1875"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 0.1875"

Rocksim file with correct fins and using the BR-1620F attached.

I built one of these when I was a lot younger. Who ever had this kit glued the balsa coupler into the wrong tube. The balsa coupler, a tube coupler, a pair of fiber centering rings, and the 1" shroud made up the transition. As far as the launch lug standoffs are concerned, each piece you cut out was half of the standoff. In other words you glued two pieces together to make one stand off.

Initiator001
05-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Finally finished this one - other than the nose being a bit too pointy, and the adapter 0.5" too long, it turned out well :) Excelsior's decals were the usual terrific quality... Also, thanks to Earl Cagle, I now have a copy of the instructions and the paper shroud, so the next one I build will be true to the original.

If I can find a suitable nose cone...

http://www.billcooke.org/images/Fleet/eggcrate.jpg

Bill,

I'm finishing up an Semroc Egg Crate model and will be using the same paint scheme as your very nicely done model. :)

I was wondering if you can recall the width of the silver/chrome bands around the black payload section?

Members of this forum need to keep the memories alive of Centuri/Enerjet/Semroc. ;)

Earl
05-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Bill,

I'm finishing up an Semroc Egg Crate model and will be using the same paint scheme as your very nicely done model. :)

I was wondering if you can recall the width of the silver/chrome bands around the black payload section?

Members of this forum need to keep the memories alive of Centuri/Enerjet/Semroc. ;)

Bob-

Must be a bit of an Egg Crate craze......I just finished up (last month) an original Egg Crate kit build, which has been in the works literally for years. I had construction done several years ago, but never did work on the final fill and finish until the past few months, between some other builds.

It's all original vintage stuff, and even the decal (43 years old as it was) held up (thankfully!).

I had always loved the paint scheme of the Egg Crate on the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog, much like Bill has done his. As an eight year old kid (that catalog was my first ever rocket catalog), I was mezmerized by the size of the nosecone being held 'in hand' on the catalog page featuring the Egg Crate (the only catalog the Egg Crate would ever appear in).

I eyeballed my silver metallic paper bands at 1/4" wide. I also cut my payload tube down to 4" instead of the kit standard 5", since my careful eyeballing (and measuring) of the kit photos in that catalog led me strongly to believe the catalog model did NOT feature a 5" payload tube....it featured a 4" tube.

I got a couple of the Semroc Egg Crate kits and will probably build one a bit later after I get a large backlog of finished builds painted (I'm baaad at buidling and then moving on to another build before the latest one is totally painted and decaled.....I'm probably not alone in that regards).

One photo attached of my Egg Crate sitting atop a Centuri LIA-77 launcher....one that I will use when I finally fly this bird. Made three engine mounts for this one: a single, double, and triple 18mm mounts, all removable.

Earl

Initiator001
05-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Bob-

Must be a bit of an Egg Crate craze......I just finished up (last month) an original Egg Crate kit build, which has been in the works literally for years. I had construction done several years ago, but never did work on the final fill and finish until the past few months, between some other builds.

It's all original vintage stuff, and even the decal (43 years old as it was) held up (thankfully!).

I had always loved the paint scheme of the Egg Crate on the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog, much like Bill has done his. As an eight year old kid (that catalog was my first ever rocket catalog), I was mezmerized by the size of the nosecone being held 'in hand' on the catalog page featuring the Egg Crate (the only catalog the Egg Crate would ever appear in).

I eyeballed my silver metallic paper bands at 1/4" wide. I also cut my payload tube down to 4" instead of the kit standard 5", since my careful eyeballing (and measuring) of the kit photos in that catalog led me strongly to believe the catalog model did NOT feature a 5" payload tube....it featured a 4" tube.

I got a couple of the Semroc Egg Crate kits and will probably build one a bit later after I get a large backlog of finished builds painted (I'm baaad at buidling and then moving on to another build before the latest one is totally painted and decaled.....I'm probably not alone in that regards).

One photo attached of my Egg Crate sitting atop a Centuri LIA-77 launcher....one that I will use when I finally fly this bird. Made three engine mounts for this one: a single, double, and triple 18mm mounts, all removable.

Earl

Thanks, Earl.

Gus
05-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Bob,

Here's a picture of mine and a link to another thread about color schemes for the Egg Crate.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6206

Steve

mojo1986
05-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Bob-

Earl

Wow! Earl, that is very nice! Love the matte black of the nose cone / payload section.

Joe

Earl
05-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Wow! Earl, that is very nice! Love the matte black of the nose cone / payload section.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

Yes, the catalog model in the '71 catalog featured matte black paint on the nose cone and payload section. The silver metallic paper bands look nice against that color and then the yellow paint sets off the booster well.

It's a nice paint combination and roll bar decal (I REALLY like that roll bar decal!) that the original Egg Crate designer did such a great job with, and something I wanted to try to replicate as closely as I could.

Sad that the kit was offered only that one year. Original kits are harder to come by than the 1/45th Little Joe II and are just as expensive it seems. :o

Earl

Vanel
05-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Hiya Bob!

The silver bands are 0.25" in width.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Initiator001
05-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. :)

I will post a picture when my Egg Crate is finished. ;)

foamy
05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Bob,

Here's a picture of mine and a link to another thread about color schemes for the Egg Crate.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6206

Steve
Really nice. Love the color combination. Cool thread you link to as well.

I bought and built the Semroc Retro-Repro and it's a fine kit—one of my favorites http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=10356&page=5&pp=10&highlight=foamy%27s+kitchen).

I wish I'd had the foresight to purchase an extra one before the end. Of course, I can say that about a lot of things.

As far as official Centuri colors go... it seems that catalog schemes were dictated by what two colors were being used on a given page. Usually, printer's spreads (what two pages would be printed with the same plate) were the same two colors; black and whatever. The color patterns are the only things that would be consistent from catalog to catalog. What they actually painted their "showroom" models was almost always something different/simplified from what the catalog schemes were. I think the catalog schemes were "ideals" and I've never felt bound to them. Though, sometimes, they are just the ticket. Particularly after lusting after a model and finally being able to build or aquire it.

Initiator001
05-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Okay, I finished my Semroc Egg Crate model.

I really like this color scheme. :)

First flight will be at NARAM-56. It will be a tribute to Carl.

mojo1986
05-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Bob, that is a real gem!

Joe

Earl
05-15-2014, 05:47 PM

Looks great....kinda partial to that color scheme myself. ;)

Carl would be proud of all the tributes to him. I've got a USS America that I am about to put final decals on that I'd like to rename the USS Carl McLawhorn. He did another great job with that kit....don't know how he did so much in such a relatively short time.

Post some pics of the flight after NARAM if you can. What motor arrangement do you plan to use for the first flight?

Earl

foamy
05-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Excellent. Real nice build of a cool rocket. I'm partial to the design.

Anyone have insight as to why it was only produced for one year? I know it was an Enerjet offering the next year—but that's a different rocket.

Gus
05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Very nice, Bob!

Initiator001
05-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Looks great....kinda partial to that color scheme myself. ;)

<SNIP>

Post some pics of the flight after NARAM if you can. What motor arrangement do you plan to use for the first flight?

Earl

Thanks, Earl.

I will post pictures of my Egg Crate NARAM flight. I plan to be posting from the NARAM hotel.

Still not decided on what motor(s) to use. My Egg Crate has a weight/mass of 3.8 oz w/o motor(s). I don't want the model to get away from me.

Initiator001
05-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Very nice, Bob!

Thanks, Steve.

Your Egg Crate turned out pretty nice also.

You'll be able to see mine fly at NARAM-56.

BTW, don't forget to pack your Initiator! ;) :D

Initiator001
05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Anyone have insight as to why it was only produced for one year? I know it was an Enerjet offering the next year—but that's a different rocket.

I have contacted 'someone' who may have the answer to this question. ;)

I will post the response if I get a reply. :)

Ltvscout
05-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Still not decided on what motor(s) to use. My Egg Crate has a weight/mass of 3.8 oz w/o motor(s). I don't want the model to get away from me.
Go for mission points and put an egg in it!