PDA

View Full Version : Scale/Sport Scale YORF forum?

blackshire
06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello All,

What do you think about adding a Scale/Sport Scale forum to YORF (provided that it's acceptable to the YORF managerial staff, of course)? I just posted scale data on the South Korean Naro-1 SLV (Satellite Launch Vehicle, see: www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?p=93827#post93827 ) in the "FreeForAll" forum because it has the closest subject "fit" among the existing forums. (The "Plans" forum is for rocket kit plans that *may* be [but usually aren't] plans for scale rocket kits.) The Scale/Sport Scale forum would encompass scale data of all kinds (including measurements taken from full-scale rockets on display) as well as provide a venue for scale data swapping among model rocketeers, coverage of Scale and Sport Scale model rocket competitions, photos of builders' Scale and Sport Scale models, discussion of F/F (Future/Fiction) scale model rockets, etc.

What d'y'all think?

GregGleason
06-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I love scale rockets, because you can tell the good builders from the great builders (I am not sure I qualify as a good one, yet BTW). I love to see the work of craftsmen.

Whether they are kits are scratch built, I like to see them.

Regardless, I want to know what Scott thinks.

Greg

luke strawwalker
06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I like that idea... so long as it encompasses "sport scale" as well as the months-long projects... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Mark II
06-14-2010, 01:26 AM
You mean the "years long" projects, don't you? In some cases it has taken me much longer to build a scale version than it took to develop the original. :rolleyes:

blackshire
06-14-2010, 02:46 AM
I like that idea... so long as it encompasses "sport scale" as well as the months-long projects... :)

Later! OL JR :)Indeed, and I would even welcome Semi-Scale in such a forum along with Sport Scale, Scale, Super Scale (scale rockets launched from scale launchers), Scale Altitude, and F/F (Future/Fiction Scale), which includes models of proposed-but-never-built rockets, models of as-yet unlaunched rockets that are in development, and models of fictional rockets and spaceships.

blackshire
06-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Speaking of F/F (Future Fiction Scale), here is a science fiction spaceship that I'd wager has never been built and flown as a scale model rocket: www.starshipmodeler.com/other/cl_vf.htm . Imagine the RockSim file for this one! Probably the only F/F Scale model that would be more "un-aerodynamic" than the Valley Forge space freighter is the Earthship Ark from "The Starlost."

Ltvscout
06-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Create a poll and see how many people would be interested in one. If enough people show interest, I have no problem making a scale area for you guys.

ghrocketman
06-14-2010, 01:42 PM
That Valley Forge ship looks like it would fly about as well as a full-scale GARBAGE TRUCK powered by an A8-3.
The awful "SALVAGE-1" is MUCH more aerodynamic.

mojo1986
06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Great idea! I am 100% in favor of a 'Scale' category. Dunno why I didn't think of it!

Joe

blackshire
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Create a poll and see how many people would be interested in one. If enough people show interest, I have no problem making a scale area for you guys.Thank you, Scott! Is there some kind of online template or format needed to create the poll, or do folks just post their "yeas" and "nays" here as replies to this thread?

Ltvscout
06-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Just go to the FreeForAll section. Create a new post. Give the subject a catchy phrase so people know what the poll is about. Describe the poll with a short blurb in the text area. Then scroll down to the Additional Options area. You'll see where you can choose to create a poll. Check it off there and set the poll up. Voila!

Eagle3
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7190

Eagle3
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Polling open for one week

blackshire
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Just go to the FreeForAll section. Create a new post. Give the subject a catchy phrase so people know what the poll is about. Describe the poll with a short blurb in the text area. Then scroll down to the Additional Options area. You'll see where you can choose to create a poll. Check it off there and set the poll up. Voila!Scott, thank you for this information! I'll set it up this afternoon (I have to get ready for a physical therapy appointment now).

Ltvscout
06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Scott, thank you for this information! I'll set it up this afternoon (I have to get ready for a physical therapy appointment now).
I see that Buzz just set one up for you in the Forum Info area. You're good to go.

blackshire
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7190Never mind--Eagle3 has already set up the poll here--Thank you!

Ltvscout
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Hello All,

What do you think about adding a Scale/Sport Scale forum to YORF (provided that it's acceptable to the YORF managerial staff, of course)?
What do you want me to name this new forum?

GregGleason
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
How about Scale Rocketry, with a perhaps a sub-title of Scale, Sport Scale, Super Scale, Static Scale, etc.. If it is scale related, it goes here.

Greg

blackshire
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM
What do you want me to name this new forum?Hmmm...how about something like:

Scale Rocketry
(All aspects of modeling full-size actual, proposed,
and fictional rockets, spaceships, and launchers)

(I like the name "Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry" too, but it might not fit within the name space constraint.)

blackshire
06-15-2010, 06:55 PM
(ADDENDUM: I like the name "Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry" too, but it might not fit within the forum name space constraint.)

GregGleason
06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
(All aspects of modeling full-size actual, proposed,
and fictional rockets, spaceships, and launchers)

I like this. It covers just about everything related to scale.

Greg

blackshire
06-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I like this. It covers just about everything related to scale.

GregThank you--this is almost like getting to name my own foal. :-)

Ltvscout
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Ok, the Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry forum is now on the air. You can find it in the Workbench section. I moved Blackshire's recent scale post from FreeForAll to that forum to get things rolling.

Ltvscout
06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
If any of you created a post about scale or sport scale rockets that you would like moved into the new scale forum area, please send me a PM with a link to your post(s) and I'll gladly move it for you.

ghrocketman
06-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Okay, somebody is already going BER-freakin'-ZERK on the scale forum padding their post count. :p :rolleyes: :D :chuckle:

Ltvscout
06-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Okay, somebody is already going BER-freakin'-ZERK on the scale forum padding their post count. :p :rolleyes: :D :chuckle:
I don't have a problem with Blackshire getting things rolling. Actually, his list of "sources" should all be placed in one message. I can then make it a sticky so it's easily available at all times in that forum.

I'm happy to see that forum getting utilized. Unlike the Rocket Glider forum people asked for and now rarely gets used.

ghrocketman
06-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Scott,
It was just meant as a joke as he seemed to explode with postings as soon as it was created. ;)
Agree that it is good someone is actually utilizing a forum they suggested.

CPMcGraw
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Having one central thread with the links is a good "sticky" for this area. The posting of several message threads within the body of the forum doesn't hurt, though. It allows us a bit of flexibility to discuss topics found at those sources, rather than having to hunt around for a subject within a larger single thread.

Let's just play this by ear and see what works. I'm sure Blackshire will be watching to see how it all falls.

blackshire
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't have a problem with Blackshire getting things rolling. Actually, his list of "sources" should all be placed in one message. I can then make it a sticky so it's easily available at all times in that forum.

I'm happy to see that forum getting utilized. Unlike the Rocket Glider forum people asked for and now rarely gets used.Thank you. I just wanted to give folks something to use and perhaps comment on (and/or add to). This afternoon or evening I'll combine the links in the postings into an alphabetical listing for the sticky, plus I'll see what other Scale and Sport Scale material I can find online to add to the list.

blackshire
06-17-2010, 03:43 AM
Thank you. I just wanted to give folks something to use and perhaps comment on (and/or add to). This afternoon or evening I'll combine the links in the postings into an alphabetical listing for the sticky, plus I'll see what other Scale and Sport Scale material I can find online to add to the list.It'll have to be tomorrow--I'm beat. Time to hit the hay and dream about buxom draft mares...