PDA

View Full Version : Booster for the Estes Outlander

sandman
03-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I posted this in TRF but I thought I'd post it here too.

Hope you don't mind.

I was just laying in bed and came up with this idea...I think it will work.

But ya know...the more I look at it, the more I think it may just need an escape tower. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
03-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I posted this in TRF but I thought I'd post it here too.

Hope you don't mind.

I was just laying in bed and came up with this idea...I think it will work.

But ya know...the more I look at it, the more I think it may just need an escape tower. :rolleyes:
Whoa! Great design, Sandman!

How does the Outlander break out of its protective shell upon sustainer ignition?

sandman
03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
"How does the Outlander break out "

I glued a lip at the outermost edge of the Outlander. It looks like a hoop which holds just about 1/8" of the top of the 4 clamshells.

The clamshells are spring loaded and as long as it's moving forward the wind will pop the clamshells the rest of the way...by then the Outlander should be gone!

Bruce Temple
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm really looking foward to some flight video of this project when it's ready Gordon!

Cheers, Bruce

stefanj
03-09-2006, 10:05 PM
All I can say is:

Holy crap!

snaquin
03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
That is a really cool design! Unless I missed it you didn't mention what engines you have planned for the booster.

Very unique.

sandman
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I guess I forgot to mention the engines.

The booster is 6" long with a central D12-0 and 4x C6-3 cluster. Each C6-3 will have it's own 12" parachute. So 4 chutes for the booster.

The Outlander has been modified to take an E9-4.

Ramjet
04-08-2006, 07:10 PM
A Most Excellent idea.
I had toyed with putting it (my Outlander) on a Little Joe II with enlarged fins, but your clamshells will make it much more stable. And More like a real rocket should be, streamlined for initial takeoff, then skip the drag worries once out of atmosphere.

sandman
07-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I finally got back on this!

Between custom jobs and the LTV Scout kits I have been staying away from my build table but I'm back now!

I just finished the launch lug (internal) instullation so now it's back to the clamshell door design.

I'll post pics later tonight.

Tweener
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
I was just laying in bed and came up with this idea...I think it will work.Man! That's pretty awesome. I gotta lay in bed more!! :D

sandman
07-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Well, I said, "I think it'll work."

That has yet to be proven. :rolleyes: