PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Pad Abort Test Vehicle.

sandman
03-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I have been sidetracked on my Outlander booster project with this one.

I hope Scott doesn't mind but it would be a LOT to type so I'm just gonna post the link to TRF, again hope you don't mind, Scott.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25121

But you really really have to download the video...it's in Quicktime and only like one meg but really worth it.

There are two PA-1 (Pad Abort -1) and PA-2 (Pad Abort-2)

Can anybody guess the music??? :rolleyes:

http://home.earthlink.net/~skristal/

Ltvscout
03-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I have been sidetracked on my Outlander booster project with this one.

I hope Scott doesn't mind but it would be a LOT to type so I'm just gonna post the link to TRF, again hope you don't mind, Scott.
No problemo, Gordon. Again, another great model!

Say, are you a Badger fan or a UW alumni?

tbzep
03-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Cool stuff!

sandman
03-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Scott,

The sweatshirt was a gift from my daughter.

She got it on sale. :rolleyes:

I"m a Michigan State University alum. :D

sandman
03-16-2006, 08:29 AM
I got it finished and painted.

sandman
08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm trying another experiment with the design construction.

I have reduced the scale to 1/11.7th (BT-70 tower) with 4 x 24mm motors.

Here is a sequence of the capsule construction.

The PA-1 capsule is completed and just needs some wet sanding of the Kilz primer. I still have to drill out the tip of the capsule for the uprights (carbon fiber arrow shafts) and finish the tower parts yet.

The base of the capsule is 13,28" across and 11" high. Thje finished model is 41" tall and extreamly stable!

sandman
06-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Finally got back on this! i'd like to get this completed by NARAM.

I decided to cut off the slopped area of the capsule that was all fiberglass and replace it with a balsa framework and cardstock.

I saved over 9 oz!!!

Gus
09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I have entered a short documentary about the Pad Aborts in this year's EMMR Video Contest.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/contests/video_contest2.shtml

See entry #10.

Let me know what you think.

sandman
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I have entered a short documentary about the Pad Aborts in this year's EMMR Video Contest.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/contests/video_contest2.shtml

See entry #10.

Let me know what you think.

Well, it has my vote!

JAL3
09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
It has my vote as well. This has been an inspiring project.

Gus
10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
John, Sandman,

Thanks for your comments.

Anybody else seen it?

Any other feedback?

JAL3
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Any other feedback?

I heard from Gordon about the reasons but still, this one SCREAMS to be kitted if the logistics of that can be worked out.

puhleeeeeeesze!

sandman
10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I heard from Gordon about the reasons but still, this one SCREAMS to be kitted if the logistics of that can be worked out.

puhleeeeeeesze!

It would be very very hard! :rolleyes:

Digitalastro
10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
John, Sandman,

Thanks for your comments.

Anybody else seen it?

Any other feedback?

I voted for it too!!! This was a much easier choice than the one I will have to make in November!

technical comment--
Audio was a little hot; sounds like the microphone a little too close to your mouth.

brianc
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Any other feedback?

Got a vote from me too! Well done.

Too bad you were limited to only 3 minutes by the rules.

JAL3
10-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Got a vote from me too! Well done.

Too bad you were limited to only 3 minutes by the rules.

Does that mean there is a longer version out there somewhere?

Gus
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Does that mean there is a longer version out there somewhere?
No, there's no longer version. The biggest challenge in making the video was compressing all the info to 3 minutes.

I originally thought I'd just organize all the photos and film clips, arrange them into a 3 minute movie, then do a voiceover as I watched it. But I quickly realized that in order to do that I'd need a movie 8 to 10 minutes long to fit in everything I wanted to say.

So I started to actually write out what I wanted to say for each snippet. It took an awful lot of pruning to get it down to 3 minutes. One of the best examples is the part where I mention reviewing the work of George Gassaway and Peter Alway. I really wanted to include Mike Dorfler too because of a number of his closeup photos of the escape rocket and tower we scrutinized over and over. I spent almost two hours trying every combination of words I could think of to get all three names in in the alloted time, but I couldn't do it, so Mike got left out. Gordy reminded me afterward that I probably should have included Tom Beach as well, so at least now I don't feel so guilty about leaving just Mike out. :o

In retrospect, I think the 3 minute rule made the mini-documentary better in that it forced it to move quickly to tell the story, so it didn't have a chance to linger long enough on any one part to get too boring. I've made lots of short videos but this was the first time I'd done anything like this, with so many still pictures, and including a voiceover. I think I'd probably get sick of it if I had to do it every day but for something like this it was fun and quite a challenge and I learned a lot.

It gave me a whole new appreciation for the RocketAero videos which are similar, but much longer and better produced, and for the incredible Spacecraft Films projects.

I hope seeing the video will spur others to do similar documentaries of their special build projects. But honestly, without something like Nick's contest I never would have taken the time to do it. Also, the fact that my basement rocket building room was/is out of commision due to a recent flood meant I couldn't build anything for awhile. So time I otherwise would have used actually building rockets, I spent on making the film.

Thanks for suggesting a longer version would be welcome, though.