PDA

View Full Version : WOW Estes Saros Kit Skill Level Packaging

mojo1986
07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Hard to believe the price that was paid for this kit! Wow!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130404303902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Royatl
07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
lucky guy (the seller, that is). Though it does have the rarest of plastic parts, it isn't in Citation packaging. Now *that* I could see going for a couple hundred. For this I wouldn't have blinked had I seen $125-150 or so.

JRThro
07-03-2010, 09:00 PM
lucky guy (the seller, that is). Though it does have the rarest of plastic parts, it isn't in Citation packaging. Now *that* I could see going for a couple hundred. For this I wouldn't have blinked had I seen $125-150 or so.
What are the rare plastic parts, Roy? The nose cone and fin can?

I'm not a BAR (even though I'm the right age to be one) and I've only been into model rocketry since 2004, so I wouldn't pay a whole lot, say more than $50 - $75 tops, for any vintage OOP rocket kit, but it's interesting to see what things go for.

Der Red Max
07-03-2010, 09:38 PM
lucky guy (the seller, that is). Though it does have the rarest of plastic parts, it isn't in Citation packaging. Now *that* I could see going for a couple hundred. For this I wouldn't have blinked had I seen $125-150 or so.There were only 5 Citation packaged kits;
the Saros was not one of them.
You would never see it packaged as such.
Unlike the Patriot, Bomarc, Quasar, Der Red Max, Starship Vega which came in both types of packaging.

Royatl
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
There were only 5 Citation packaged kits;
You would never see it packaged as such.
Unlike the Patriot, Bomarc, Quasar, Der Red Max, Starship Vega which came in both types of packaging.

I couldve sworn that was one of them.

Royatl
07-03-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm not a BAR (even though I'm the right age to be one) and I've only been into model rocketry since 2004, so I wouldn't pay a whole lot, say more than $50 - $75 tops, for any vintage OOP rocket kit, but it's interesting to see what things go for.

yes, those and the transition, though it was merely a plastic version of an existing balsa part. And SEMROC makes a spot-on version of the nosecone, minus the little stub things.

And you're right about the worth to someone who wasn't interested in it for the nostalgia factor.

tbzep
07-03-2010, 10:25 PM

It had those and a plastic transition section, IIRC. It shared all three components with the Estes Nomad, #1344, which came out around 1980. I had a Nomad and still have the nosecone and transition section for future Saros cloning, but unfortunately the fin can was lost to a tree. :(

LeeR
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
It had those and a plastic transition section, IIRC. It shared all three components with the Estes Nomad, #1344, which came out around 1980. I had a Nomad and still have the nosecone and transition section for future Saros cloning, but unfortunately the fin can was lost to a tree. :(

I still have the Saros I built ~ 1975 or 1976. The plastic pieces are unusual for Estes, because they are two-piece, like plastic airplane model parts (with the little alignment pins that go into matching holes).

I just cannot bring myself to fly this again, it has been maybe 10 years or so..

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/th_estes-saros.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/Miscellaneous%20Rockets/?action=view&current=estes-saros.jpg)

gpoehlein
07-04-2010, 10:10 AM
The parts were available through the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog. This is the entry and drawing of the parts from that catalog.

I too would love a Saros - it was one of my favorite designs back when I first flew in 73. As with so many other models, though, I just couldn't afford more than a handful of rockets then. I'd love to clone this one at some point.

AstronMike
07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I remember this rocket well, even though I did not get mine until around 84, long after it went OOP. It was on the very back of a display peg and quite cheap, likely still with its final price. While not a glider, I was drawn to the coolness of those plastic parts, which I immediantly recognized as also being on the NOMAD.

The NOMAD used full lengths of BT20 and 50, and this sort of 'washed out' the overall appearance. The Saros looked much better, and you gotta admit the roll pattern and decals were fine. Especially the little 'loaded' one and the chromy fin base squares. Not to mention the roll pattern which makes any rocket POP eyewise.

Same place had a BUTTLOAD of old OOP Estes kits even in 85 or so, with most of these being mid to late 70s models. I also got my grubby mitts on the LTV Scout (for the same reasons as the Saros, cool plastic parts and decals), the Vostok, another SkyDart (which promptly glided into the power plant), Wolverine, Solar Sailer, OLD packaged OT, and more. Also had a large tub of *diamond pack* as well as *blue tube* motors from the early 70s, and mostly the cool flavors like 1/4A3-1 18mm standards, A5s (both shortys and full length), B14s, and all the nonstandard booster motors you guys drool for.....all for $1/pak. Yep, you know where my money went back then......

If you had a time machine and set it for 1984 and hit this place......good grief, for $250 back then youd have enough stuff to Ebay today for gobs of money. Oh yeah, did I mention the Citation boxed kits for $4 each that NO ONE ever seemed to buy????

Mark II
07-05-2010, 01:13 AM
I couldve sworn that was one of them.It was first released during the same year (1971), but the K-54 Saros (note: not a Citation Series number) appeared (http://ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes711/711est46.html) in the regular 1971 Estes catalog. In 1971, the Citation kits had their own catalog (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/citation71/71citcat.html).

Cohetero-negro
07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Hard to believe the price that was paid for this kit! Wow!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130404303902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yep, that is a bit much... there a still instances of that kit floating around. I guess the excitement of the aution got to someone or its s shill bid. Either way, too much.

On second thoughts with the economy in the crapper, Wall St. going bust, the U.N. demanding that the dollar be taken out of the I.M.F., collectibles of ANY type are a better investment than stocks and the dollar (we reached new lows just this very morning in international trading of the dollar.)

I have a co-worker who is always askimg me what the stock-de-jure of the day or week is.
I tell him [honestly] that I no longer deal in the U.S. Stock Market ( I have a few shares here and there).

I would rather invest dollars in a Hank Arron or Babe Ruth baseball card, old Jetex or Revell S/H series kit, piece of art work, Pez (without the feet), antique jewelry, or gold coins before I invest in the dollar or U.S. Stocks.

So, perhaps the almost $300 reached for the Saros is just portent for things to come... I know I am dumping dollars (spending) anywhere I can because inflation and the crash of our currency is on the way! If I can buy bulk glue, balsa, covering, paints, motors, engines, radios, servos, magic cards, anime, art, and other collectibles, I am doing it now.

Reasoning: a)if things go really south in America, it will cost $30.00 for a loaf of bread, $15 for a gallon of gas... b)if things turn around, there will be a spike in inflation and the cost of goods and services will sky rocket!

Buy now what I can store for a few years, then wait and see what will happen...

I know I know, dunbar shut the hell up. You don't know anything and you never talk about rockets. So please take your banter somewhere else and leave us to big berthas and Mars Snoopers ... I shall. There I did it for you so you wouldn't have too; now that is efficiency!!! :rolleyes:

But the U.S. has an aggregate deficit of $115 Trillion dollars (sum of the defficits; each year they just start the counter back at zero). Every American man, woman and child owes the world $500,000.00 ... so I think in the not so distant future, more 'collectibles' will be showing up on ebay that probably wouldn't have until the death of their owner. I have a feeling people are starting to pay mortages and credit card debt with their model rocket collectibles due to the rarities that have been showing up over the last 6 months ... some of the offerings are amazing and so are some of the prices; lows and highs :)

Jonathan - Just your friendly neighborhood seuth sayer!

Cohetero-negro
07-05-2010, 09:21 AM

TB,

That Nomad might be worth $125 - $150 now!!! Only one way for you to find out! :o

JD

Bob H
07-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I have 2 sets of the plastic parts.

I bought them for $10 a set a couple of years ago at NEMROC with the idea of cloning the Saros and Nomad.

The seller was just trying to thin out his collection of parts he had lying around and if I recall he had another couple of sets that I didn't buy.

scigs30
07-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, what am I missing with this rocket?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTES-Vtg-SPACE-SHUTTLE-ROCKET-GLIDER-Set-1467-NIB-/330447264947?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf0311cb3

Cohetero-negro
07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTES-Vtg-SPACE-SHUTTLE-ROCKET-GLIDER-Set-1467-NIB-/330447264947?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf0311cb3

Well you are missing out in being a fool : ) This is why ignorance is harmful to one's wallet! Open and motor removed, its worth maybe $30 - $50 max. Noting inside the box is unique except for the foam glider and it's plastic parts. And those could be duplicated with a little casting... or even take the $3.99 Guillow Foam glider, cut it in half, hollow it out, insert a tube with nose block, glue the halves back together, form nozzles from thick card stock or cast from resin... see where I am going with this? The launch pad and controller worth maybe $15.

Jonathan

barone
07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
****....I sold one last year for $30 :(

Ltvscout
07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
There were only 5 Citation packaged kits;
That is correct.

gerryfortin
07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
As I add the recent group of Mountbatten5 ebay listings to the database, it is obvious that some new players are buying these kits and aggressively bidding.

$269 is not out of line for the Saros skill level kit, maybe a bit on the high side, but not out of line.

I've been in the coin collecting business for 23 years and would sometimes scratch my head as folks paid ever increasing prices for coins. Today, properly graded and problem free coins have out performed stocks. My retirement is equally divided between an advanced coin collection and equities. Thank goodness for the coins to balance the equities.....

As most of you know, I believe that early K kits and some skill level kits are under valued if in problem free condition. Reading certain posts about people paying way to much for an early kit for their collection reminds me of past coin collecting days when I also could not justify the prices being paid.

Would anyone believe that we will see $700 or more being paid for one of the rare K kits? It will happen, just matter of when.....

JRThro
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Would anyone believe that we will see $700 or more being paid for one of the rare K kits? It will happen, just matter of when.....
I have no doubt that you're right, Gerry.

Cohetero-negro
07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
As I add the recent group of Mountbatten5 ebay listings to the database, it is obvious that some new players are buying these kits and aggressively bidding.

$269 is not out of line for the Saros skill level kit, maybe a bit on the high side, but not out of line.

I've been in the coin collecting business for 23 years and would sometimes scratch my head as folks paid ever increasing prices for coins. Today, properly graded and problem free coins have out performed stocks. My retirement is equally divided between an advanced coin collection and equities. Thank goodness for the coins to balance the equities.....

As most of you know, I believe that early K kits and some skill level kits are under valued if in problem free condition. Reading certain posts about people paying way to much for an early kit for their collection reminds me of past coin collecting days when I also could not justify the prices being paid.

Gerry,

There have already been 'K kits' that have exceeded the $500/$600/$700 marks ... it was just before your time of following the ebay pricing.

There was an Astron Starlight bid on by deceased Jim Stuckman, that went for $607.

Then there was an Estes K Sat1b that went for $800+.

Then there was a Mid 60's Centuri Starter Set that went for $1200+.

Then there was a MMI Starter set that went for $1400+.

So I am in no way shocked by prices. What I am shocked about is the ignorances made by some people with regards to current pricing but for those who are buy and hold 30/40/50 years ... it makes sense.

Jonathan

P.s. It was nice speaking with you on the phone a few months ago. I haven't forgotten the things I mentioned... I have just been extreemly busy and my time consumed with things other than rocketry ... but the consolidation and organization of my collection has been moving forward ... just slowly.

gerryfortin
07-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Jonathan....thank you for the confirmation.

I've also been very business on the numismatic side of hobby but still manage to keep the Estes database moving forward. Having a free pricing guide will stimulate more collectors in the long term.

I do look forward to another opportunity to chat and develop strategies for cooperation.

Der Red Max
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
There was an Astron Starlight bid on by deceased Jim Stuckman, that went for $607. WHOA!
I've always heard the phrase "you can't take it with you";
but I didn't know once you did go,
that you can then bid for it from the grave!

Initiator001
11-20-2011, 01:47 AM
While digging around in a box of my old rockets, I found my Saros model.

Good flier but I only flew it with A8-3 and B4-2 motors. ;)

I think this would make a great kit for Estes to re-issue! :)

blackshire
11-20-2011, 03:35 AM
While digging around in a box of my old rockets, I found my Saros model.

Good flier but I only flew it with A8-3 and B4-2 motors. ;)

I think this would make a great kit for Estes to re-issue! :)Agreed--I just hope the molds for its plastic parts weren't discarded (as other Estes kit parts' molds were) during the Tunick years...

mwtoelle
11-20-2011, 03:51 AM
I would not be surprised if the molds for those parts were worn out or damaged.