PDA

View Full Version : "Quick Fly" B/G kit?

blackshire
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Hello All,

Has anyone here ever tried the ModelRockets.us Quick Fly boost-glider (see: www.discountrocketry.com/level-1-model-rocket-kits/modelrocketsus-quick-model-rocket-p-2304.html )? It is a canard glider, similar to the Quest Q E-Z boost-glider (see: www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=2016&eq=&Tp ), but it has a poplar plywood fuselage boom instead of a sheet balsa profile fuselage as in the Q E-Z kit.

Solomoriah has mentioned his 100% lack of success with boost-gliders (similar to Charlie Brown's success rate with kites), and my B/Gs have required much trimming to work properly (except the Estes foam Space Shuttle, see: www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/95est04.html ), which flew perfectly "out of the box" for me. The Quick Fly might be the closest thing to a "no-trim" boost-glider available in kit form.

Doug Sams
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Has anyone here ever tried the ModelRockets.us Quick Fly boost-glider (see: www.discountrocketry.com/level-1-model-rocket-kits/modelrocketsus-quick-model-rocket-p-2304.html (http://www.discountrocketry.com/level-1-model-rocket-kits/modelrocketsus-quick-model-rocket-p-2304.html) )? It is a canard glider, similar to the Quest Q E-Z boost-glider (see: www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=2016&eq=&Tp (http://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=2016&eq=&Tp) ), but it has a poplar plywood fuselage boom instead of a sheet balsa profile fuselage as in the Q E-Z kit.

Solomoriah has mentioned his 100% lack of success with boost-gliders (similar to Charlie Brown's success rate with kites), and my B/Gs have required much trimming to work properly (snip) which flew perfectly "out of the box" for me. The Quick Fly might be the closest thing to a "no-trim" boost-glider available in kit form.Black,

You might try Edmonds (http://edmondsaerospace.com/) if you're looking for some easy boost gliders and rocket gliders. The Tinee and Geminee are great rocket gliders for getting easily trimmed. I haven't flown any of their boost gliders yet, but I have the Deltie Thunder and Dee Cee Thunder in my stash :) The smaller Delties would be the starting point. Looks like they only make the Dee Cee in the Thunder size now, but it's similar to the Quick Fly you cited.

These kits are intended to be glued up quickly without airfoiling. A little clay applied on the bird takes care of any imbalance fore or aft, or side to side. Just hand toss it in the yard. Only takes a few minutes.

HTH.

Doug

blackshire
08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Black,

You might try Edmonds (http://edmondsaerospace.com/) if you're looking for some easy boost gliders and rocket gliders. The Tinee and Geminee are great rocket gliders for getting easily trimmed. I haven't flown any of their boost gliders yet, but I have the Deltie Thunder and Dee Cee Thunder in my stash :) The smaller Delties would be the starting point. Looks like they only make the Dee Cee in the Thunder size now, but it's similar to the Quick Fly you cited.

These kits are intended to be glued up quickly without airfoiling. A little clay applied on the bird takes care of any imbalance fore or aft, or side to side. Just hand toss it in the yard. Only takes a few minutes.

HTH.

Doug

.Doug, I've never heard or read anything but glowing praise for Rob Edmonds' F/F and R/C boost-glider designs, especially his Deltie family of B/G kits. I was curious about the Quick Fly because the "forward-positioned" box of rocket kits that I sent ahead to England contains two of them along with two Quest Q E-Z boost-glider kits. (Bill Eichelberger, Chan Stevens, and others have had good results with the Q E-Z, see: www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/searchall.cgi?Q+E-Z .)

JRThro
08-08-2010, 09:24 PM
A few years ago, the boys in my son's Cub Scout den, who were maybe 8 at the time, built Edmonds CiCi's for our pack's annual rocket launch. They all did well, and one that I know of actually flew away, so I can vouch for the simplicity of the CiCi.