PDA

View Full Version : Will the SEMROC 1/70th Apollo Capsule fly by itself?

sandman
03-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Maybe it can. :rolleyes:

I read a post about a week ago about the new SEMROC Apollo Capsule kit where the poster wondered why it was just a static model.

To me this sounds like a challenge.

My idea won't be "exactly" to scale but it should work.

If you've seen my Apollo Pad Abort Test thread you may have figured out where I'm going.

4 Micro Maxx motors...let's see is 1/8A each so that would be 4/8A or 1/2A...YEP! That'll lift it!

Now I have to make a base, 3/16" balsa spun on my lathe should do it, the paper pattern is all wrong for the pad abort, the motor flare is gonna need quite a bit of changes to get it to work.

I did a set of drawings for 1/70th scale as well as a set of four Micro Maxx motors as the escape rockets.

The motors stick out so they aren't to scale but...they don't make anything smaller than Micro Maxx.

The motor mount will simply be four motor tubes glued to wedges of the proper angle and the gaps filled in with tissue and glue.

The motor tubes will be short so that without the motors the model will retain a scale look but the motors will stick out when installed.

The drawing on the right is a blow-up of the motor mount.

sandman
03-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I worked all day on these drawings!

Here's a pattern set for the Pad Abort vehicle to use on the SEMROC 1/70th Apollo capsule to convert it to a Pad Abort test vehicle.

The capsule is the same for both but the heat shield and tower roll pattern are different.

OK, the MMX conversion is an "option".

sandman
10-28-2006, 05:36 PM
I've made some progress today on the Micro Maxx version of the capsule and I'll post some pics as soon as I can get my workbench cleaned up a little bit.

Ltvscout
10-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I've made some progress today on the Micro Maxx version of the capsule and I'll post some pics as soon as I can get my workbench cleaned up a little bit.
Looks very cool! I missed the original posts back in March because we were gone on our cruise. I can't wait for a flight report!

sandman
10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
The motor mount was a ral PIA to make! :eek:

The motors are going to be a bit oversize but they don't make anything smaller that I know of.

sandman
10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Finished!

A Micro Maxx powered Pad Abort. Actually it's PA-2 with the blast shield.

I think I can make a parachute out of the center section of a 12" chute.

Like with just the "SEMROC" logo.

Now I just have to get 4 MMX motors to light at the same time.

4 MMX motors would be 1/2 A. That should work. ;)

Now I have to make two more. One for my LJ II and one for the Saturn 1B.

Gus
10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I love it.

That's absolutely fantastic!

Can't wait to see it fly.

sandman
10-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I love it.

That's absolutely fantastic!

Can't wait to see it fly.

Unfortunately...The parts are sooooooooo smalll...I think I'm going blind! :eek:

I have to make another one for my Little Joe II and one more for my Saturn 1B. :(

Let's just hope the tower gets easier to make the more I make.

I have the wraps to reproduce them if anybody else is as crazy as I am.

Now if anyone want to make a Little Joe II and gets the vacuform parts from Paul Graf, I can make you some wraps for the upper body and capsule for round A-004.

They are printed with an inkjet printer, just take them someplace with a laserjet printer and copy them on nice presentation paper and glue them on. It'll save a ton of masking!

Just email me and I can send them to you as a pdf.