PDA

View Full Version : EAC Viper

tbzep
03-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Now that I'm in a holding pattern on my Outlander and ML, I'm doing a few clones and kits that have been on the waiting list for a while.

I decided to clone the EAC Viper the other evening. It's now ready for paint. I was able to dig out the original nosecone and parachute from my old Viper kit. Does this mean I'm restoring or cloning the Viper? :p

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/Vipernaked2.jpg

CPMcGraw
03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I decided to clone the EAC Viper the other evening. It's now ready for paint. I was able to dig out the original nosecone and parachute from my old Viper kit. Does this mean I'm restoring or cloning the Viper? :p

When I built my Estes Cougar, I used the NC from the original kit and wondered the same thing. Since nothing else remained usable, I call mine a clone. If I had saved maybe the engine hook, or even one good fin, along with the NC, I might call it a restoration. You have your original NC and parachute from the kit...

Tough call...

Still, it's a good looking model. It should fly just like the original...

ScooterM
03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Now that I'm in a holding pattern on my Outlander and ML, I'm doing a few clones and kits that have been on the waiting list for a while.

I like the TV babe looking wistfully at your manly rocket! Sorry, it had to be said. :rolleyes: Even with the NC and chute, I vote clone. I agree with Craig that some portion of the airframe/fins would need to exist to consider it a restore.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-27-2006, 02:36 PM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Vipernaked2.jpg

A mose cone AND a parachute? That's a restoration in my neck of the woods. I love those hippy dippy Estes chutes. I'll go take a pic of my Ebay Viper and post it later. Talk about a rocket in need of restoration! :eek:

ghrocketman
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey Bill, what's a MOSE cone ?? :p :cool: :p
Headwear for one of the Three Stooges ? nyuk, yuk, yuk !

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Bill, what's a MOSE cone ?? :p :cool: :p
Headwear for one of the Three Stooges ? nyuk, yuk, yuk !

Oh, a wise guy, huh....... ;)

(Heavy sigh) Well there goes that perfection streak. :rolleyes: :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
This is my EAC Viper, an Ebay refugee that came in a rocket lot I bought several years ago. Anyone see anything a little ODD here?

JRThro
03-27-2006, 05:12 PM
This is my EAC Viper, an Ebay refugee that came in a rocket lot I bought several years ago. Anyone see anything a little ODD here?
Other than the number of fins?
(That was too easy.)

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Other than the number of fins?
(That was too easy.)

Yeah. The fact that it originally had four fins and lost one, so they re-spaced the fins and turned it into a three fin/four finlet rocket. :eek:

tbzep
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I like the TV babe looking wistfully at your manly rocket! Sorry, it had to be said. :rolleyes: Even with the NC and chute, I vote clone. I agree with Craig that some portion of the airframe/fins would need to exist to consider it a restore.

Looks like STNG was on when I took the pic. :)

If you look below her, you can see the Interceptor nosecone practice turning I did the other day, plus a few others that I whipped up out of balsa. There's one behind the Viper that I turned from a broom handle just for the halibut. I might hollow it out and use it on a rocket someday...or not. :D

I most likely still have the original engine hook, but it's probably in another rocket. I know I still have a couple of the stick on decals that I never used, but I'm going to do it in waterslide decals this time. At least I have the original decals so I can try to match the paint.

tbzep
04-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I finally got around to sanding and priming the other night. I put the base coat on this evening. Now comes the fun part. Can you guys help me find the right color purple for this thing?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I finally got around to sanding and priming the other night. I put the base coat on this evening. Now comes the fun part. Can you guys help me find the right color purple for this thing?

Do you need a decal scan or a color suggestion?

tbzep
04-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Do you need a decal scan or a color suggestion?

I need to find the right color paint to match the decals. As you guys know, you can't always trust the cap on the can. There isn't a single can of purple paint in my town, much less the correct shade. If somebody can hook me up with a brand and a color number or name, I can call around to other towns for the stuff.

BTW, I have the decal scans from JimZ's and still have a couple of original stickers to make sure my printed decal color will be fairly close. Is there another scan that's already been cleaned up, or am I going to have to work on JimZ's scan a while?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
I need to find the right color paint to match the decals. As you guys know, you can't always trust the cap on the can. There isn't a single can of purple paint in my town, much less the correct shade. If somebody can hook me up with a brand and a color number or name, I can call around to other towns for the stuff.

Seems to me that one of the "Colors By Boyd" purples was a closr match. I'll try to get over to Johnny's one night this week with my Viper decal. If I can find a match I'll pick up a can.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I can't view this all that well here at work due to my "Joe Rockhead - 2000 B.C." monitor, but you may have better luck at home.
http://www.simplymodelsandmore.com/nss-folder/colorcharts/si_UEw400_ModelMasterCarEnamelsAndColorsByBoyd.jpg
:cool:

tbzep
04-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I've never heard of Colors by Boyd. Purple Pearl or whatever it says looks kinda close.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I've never heard of Colors by Boyd. Purple Pearl or whatever it says looks kinda close.

You forgot to say "Bill, you're a genius!" :rolleyes:

tbzep
04-12-2006, 11:11 AM
You forgot to say "Bill, you're a genius!" :rolleyes:

Bill, you're a genius!

...in a maniacal supervillan kind of way. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Bill, you're a genius!

...in a maniacal supervillan kind of way. ;)

Ooh, that's even better. :cool:

tbzep
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I've found some paint for the EAC Viper, but I've started looking at various pics on the net and in catalogs. The EAC decals are almost red... maybe burgandy or some other feminine version of purple. I can choose from several shades of purple paint...

Should I:

1. try use paint that matches the reddish purple decals?
2. get regular purple paint and change the color of the decals to match the paint?
3. use regular purple paint and keep the reddish purple decals so that it doesn't really match?

Here's a pic of the typical purple paint and reddish/purple decals that I usually see. It's from Bill Cooke's website. Hmmmm...that nosecone doesn't look stock. :p

http://www.billcooke.org/images/Fleet/EACViper.jpg

CPMcGraw
06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm looking at the 1974 catalog page, and that decal color should be purple, not magenta. The decal scan from the web has faded quite a bit. Find a good stock purple, then color-correct that decal scan to match the paint. You won't be able to get a perfect match, but you should be able to come close...

CPMcGraw
06-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Here's what the decal looks like with purple...

PaulK
06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll look at my original tonite, which has been stored more-or-less out of light for ~30 years, and launched only once (last year). My recollection is that the decals (stickers) are magenta, and do not match the purple NC color. Then again, my memory isn't as good as it used to be :rolleyes:

-Paul

PaulK
06-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic I just took of my original EAC Viper, no flash, under full spectrum fluorescent light (similar to daylight). Definitely magenta stickers. Note the high quality brushed on paint job of my youth :rolleyes: .

-Paul

Green Dragon
06-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I always recall those stickers as being magenta myself, I don;t have the bird or the EAC clube box left anymore, but might have a few of those stickers around ( do have one on my range box but very very faded )

~ AL

might have to build one of those someday as well, lol... maybe the Q-modeling version .

SEL
06-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic I just took of my original EAC Viper, no flash, under full spectrum fluorescent light (similar to daylight). Definitely magenta stickers. Note the high quality brushed on paint job of my youth :rolleyes: .

-Paul

Nice looking Hydra there, Paul - have you flown it yet?

Sean

PaulK
06-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Nice looking Hydra there, Paul - have you flown it yet?

Sean

Thanks Sean. I've flown it just twice, both times on 3xC6-5. Here is a maiden launch pic (http://community.webshots.com/photo/549109789/2329303570076552101XQewYK) taken by one of our club members. And just lifting (http://community.webshots.com/photo/549109789/2171321120076552101rAcjGw) off. It is really great to watch, I hope to try it on 5 engines when I'm at a bigger launch site.

-Paul

tbzep
07-01-2006, 02:23 PM
After having troubles with paint craze, I stripped the nosecone and started over. I've finally gotten around to finishing the paint. She's ready for decals now. I've got some old BEL decal paper, probably two years old now. Does the stuff degrade with age as long as it is stored in a dark and dry place?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/P1010003-1.jpg

tbzep
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm ready to do decals. I've got the original scans and cleaned them. I've also done some color alterations to match the paint color. After all the discussion and photos I've seen, along with an old EAC decal I finally dug out of a box here, I've decided that the scans are pretty close to the original color.

Now the delima. Do I go with the origonal magenta color decals, or do I use the color matched decals? I've included a quick test image of the decals and the nosecone.

Lower Left: Original Scan
Upper Right: Cleaned and contrasted Original Scan
Upper Left: Color matched when printed
Lower Right: First color match attempt (didn't fool with deleting it)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/Viperdecalstest3.jpg

CPMcGraw
07-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm ready to do decals...Now the delima. Do I go with the origonal magenta color decals, or do I use the color matched decals? I've included a quick test image of the decals and the nosecone.

Lower Left: Original Scan
Upper Right: Cleaned and contrasted Original Scan
Upper Left: Color matched when printed
Lower Right: First color match attempt (didn't fool with deleting it)

Here's a copy of the 1973 catalog picture which makes me want to suggest the upper left color-matched decal. See if you think the colors are matched to each other in this photo. One would think that if the photo color of the decal has changed, then the nose cone color should have changed, too...

CPMcGraw
07-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Here's a copy of the 1973 catalog picture which makes me want to suggest the upper left color-matched decal...

...And here's a copy of the 1977 catalog page, showing what I would call a match in some of the decals to the nose cone color...

Note that there are color variations even within this one ad photo. I'm not trying to argue that the dark purple color was the only color the decals were printed in. They were probably printed in several colors throughout the life of that program, including the Magenta color. My only point was, the original color as shown in the first advertisements in the catalog, were using the dark purple.

A simple solution -- make one of every color...:D

I'd still start with the dark purple, as I think this color represents the original concept for the model.

tbzep
07-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I still have (actually my son has it) a t-shirt with the iron on EAC decal. It is more purple like the photos you've posted. The old stick on decal I found is more magenta. The stuff came out of the same EAC membership package in the late 70's. I'm leaning toward matching the nosecone color, which is pretty close to the pictures you've posted.

tbzep
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
She's done...

I got the Estes Aerospace Club decal a little crooked, but the two year old BEL decal paper is really fragile now and I could see the ink cracking when I tried to move it. I realized all the other decals would have to be dead straight the first try with minimal touching.

What's the best decal paper for inkjets these days?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/FinishedViper2.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I wish I knew. :(

CPMcGraw
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
She's done...
What's the best decal paper for inkjets these days?

Now I gotta build one!

Tim, that looks great! You matched the color well.

We talked about decal papers some time back, either here or on OldRockets, and I mentioned I had received some really lousy Bel papers on my last order with them. The next paper I bought was from Papilio, and it worked out better on both my Lexmark and Epson inks. I haven't ordered any new paper lately, so I don't know if anything has changed at either one.

tbzep
07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks. If anybody is curious, I used Krylon 1914 Rich Plum Gloss and then took Paint Shop Pro and made several different color decals like in the earlier pic until I got it right.

I may try some Papilo as soon as I run out of this old BEL material. I remember the discussion about it now. The paper I have is quite a bit older than your BEL material, so that is why mine didn't give the trouble that yours did. It's showing it's age now, though. I doubt I'll be able to use the bigger roll pattern decals that I printed.

Vanel
07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Gorgeous Viper! Mine is off hiding in a corner somewhere ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Gorgeous Viper! Mine is off hiding in a corner somewhere ;)

HA! Mine too. A corner of the VOA that I stomped over for an hour and a half one Saturday. :mad: Lost my Cherokee E prototype that day also. ;)

tbzep
07-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks, Bill (Vanel). :)

Bill (F.N.W.), you need to get started building new ones! ;)

Lot's a Bills on this thread...to bad they aren't $100 bills. :D

PaulK
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
...She's done...

Very nice. Now all you need is a clone of the original cardboard stand that came with the kit :)

-Paul

tbzep
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Very nice. Now all you need is a clone of the original cardboard stand that came with the kit :)

-Paul

I have the original stand somewhere. Last time I saw it, the 13mm casing was torn loose and the pad was squished flat in the bottom of a cardboard box. One of these days I'll clean out the attic and sort all the odds and ends out. Hopefully I'll find it then. :)

Rampificeous
07-31-2008, 08:57 AM
After seeing the Discovery Channel special "When we left Earth", I started looking for model rocket sites. I kind of wanted to build one of the Saturn's that I never had the opportunity to 30 years ago. I found this site and came across the EAC Viper, and was hooked all over. Had to order a designer kit and build a new one... Here is a pic of my EAC Viper. Now onto one of the Saturn's.

CPMcGraw
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
After seeing the Discovery Channel special "When we left Earth", I started looking for model rocket sites. I kind of wanted to build one of the Saturn's that I never had the opportunity to 30 years ago. I found this site and came across the EAC Viper, and was hooked all over. Had to order a designer kit and build a new one... Here is a pic of my EAC Viper. Now onto one of the Saturn's.

Now, if you haven't already seen one, go check out the SEMROC Sat1B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KS-1) kit... :D

Welcome to our asylum, Rampificeous. With a handle like that, you'll fit right in. :rolleyes:

Nice job on the Viper, BTW. Finding this forum is a great place to start. Here are some additional sites to gnaw on:

The Ninfinger Files (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/rockets.html)
SEMROC (http://www.semroc.com/)
Balsa Machining Service (http://www.balsamachining.com/)
Ye Olde Rocket Plans (http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/)
JimZ (http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm)

Before you order yet another "Designer's Special", you need to shop where you can get a better parts selection. Many, if not most, of us here prefer to use balsa components in our models. Check with SEMROC and BMS (Balsa Maching Service) for turned components, rings, tubes, and other needed items. You'll find a much better assortment at both of these places.

Again, Welcome aboard!

Rampificeous
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the links.

I did pull the EAC Viper plans from JimZ. Probably got the fins more orange than the Yellow-Orange of my first one. Though about a white Top Fight chute and try to free hand paint it to match the original EAC chute... These new Estes chutes are ugly...

Yea it looks like Semroc is probably my best option for a S-1B, I will have to get it ordered.

I had nothing left from my 30 years ago rocketry and ordered a starter kit to get a launch equipment. It came with two rockets, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the plastic engine mount and fin system...

I understand I did buy a beginning system, but I am saddened :( that this hobby has entered this stage . But on a positive note, looks like there are some serious folks out there whom are attempting to preserve the paper and balsa... :D

Looking forward to getting both a Saturn 1B and V, something I couldn't do 30 years ago...

Thanks for the welcome...

CPMcGraw
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the links.

I did pull the EAC Viper plans from JimZ. Probably got the fins more orange than the Yellow-Orange of my first one. Though about a white Top Fight chute and try to free hand paint it to match the original EAC chute... These new Estes chutes are ugly...

Yea it looks like Semroc is probably my best option for a S-1B, I will have to get it ordered.

I had nothing left from my 30 years ago rocketry and ordered a starter kit to get a launch equipment. It came with two rockets, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the plastic engine mount and fin system...

I understand I did buy a beginning system, but I am saddened :( that this hobby has entered this stage . But on a positive note, looks like there are some serious folks out there whom are attempting to preserve the paper and balsa... :D

Looking forward to getting both a Saturn 1B and V, something I couldn't do 30 years ago...

Thanks for the welcome...

Be sure to also sign up for the Hobby Lobby internet notices (if you live in an area where you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, that is... :o ) so that you can occasionally get their 40% off coupons. It will bring the price of that Interceptor-E down to something more wallet-friendly... :D

One thing you'll notice, we actually have a better supply of parts today than we had 30 years ago. It's sad from a historical viewpoint that the "Big E" isn't the one leading the way anymore, but with SEMROC and BMS around, it's not a big deal. Everything we need, and much of what we want, in the way of construction supplies can be purchased from these two vendors without going anywhere else. Better still, we have one of these vendors - SEMROC - directly represented here on this forum so that we can all communicate with them. They hear directly from us, which lets them know what we want, instead of them "guessing" and getting it wrong.

Needless to say, we show them our appreciation as often as we can by ordering lots of goodies from them! There's nothing quite like receiving one of SEMROC's white boxes in your mailbox, and unloading your cache.

moonzero2
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
You're going to LOVE IT here! :D
Get ready to buy and build all those rockets from long ago you never had the chance. :D

Maniac BAR
08-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Just be VERY careful, these things multiply better than rabbits. :D :p :D

I am almost at the point where I can not build any more until I lose some to make room. :o

And wait till you see Mr. Craig's barclone designs. :eek: :eek:

Have a ton of fun catching up!!!!!!

rosko_racer
05-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Beautiful Vipers indeed. I am in the process of cloning one. I bought the NC and the fins from Semroc. My plan is to build it for 18mm motors. My question to those who have cloned one is: was there a need to add nose weight to correct the CG? Where is the CG on a 13mm version? Thanks.

- Raul

Hunty
05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
That looks like my little one :)

sandman
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Beautiful Vipers indeed. I am in the process of cloning one. I bought the NC and the fins from Semroc. My plan is to build it for 18mm motors. My question to those who have cloned one is: was there a need to add nose weight to correct the CG? Where is the CG on a 13mm version? Thanks.

- Raul
Raul,

You should have told me!

I just finished the drawings for the EAC Viper and for the upscale.

I could have put those in with your order.

rosko_racer
05-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks Gordon... the EAC Viper is a project I just pull out ahead from the Q today because I had nothing to do after finishing the USS Odyssey... You are right, I should have told you about it... :( This is going to take some time so I can order them later from you.

The only thing I did today with it was I paper laminated the fins, marked the BT, assembled the MM, and applied Wood Hardener to the NC... It is back in the back because I am getting ready for tomorrow. Scott, Kevin, Jim, and Jerry are meeting tomorrow at Craig's house and spend the entire day flying rockets, gliders, and RC airplanes/gliders... It will be fun!!! :)

barone
06-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I keep looking at my non-detailed EAC Viper for years. It seems it's a permanent fixture on my desk. Guess maybe I should try to find the decals........wait they were stickers weren't they? Maybe I need to place an order with Gordy....... :o

tbzep
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I keep looking at my non-detailed EAC Viper for years. It seems it's a permanent fixture on my desk. Guess maybe I should try to find the decals........wait they were stickers weren't they? Maybe I need to place an order with Gordy....... :o

Make your own. :)

barone
06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Make your own. :)
Duh.....I should have thought of that! :D

I did mention it has been undetailed for years haven't I? ;)

rosko_racer
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Check these for starts...

I also used the Krylon Rich Plum Gloss as the "purple" for the Viper. I am contemplating on lightly spraying the paint over decal paper to see if I can make the lines for the fins out of the painted decal paper... this way I would match the NC color. Does anyone have a more precise name of the paint (brand, color name, color number) for that Orange-Yellow for the tips? I not I may just go with whatever I find in my stash...

tbzep
06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Check these for starts...

I also used the Krylon Rich Plum Gloss as the "purple" for the Viper. I am contemplating on lightly spraying the paint over decal paper to see if I can make the lines for the fins out of the painted decal paper... this way I would match the NC color. Does anyone have a more precise name of the paint (brand, color name, color number) for that Orange-Yellow for the tips? I not I may just go with whatever I find in my stash...

Look for Caterpillar (as in bulldozer) yellow or school bus yellow. I think I used Plasti-kote school bus yellow. The photos of my Viper in this thread make the yellow have a greenish tint on this monitor. It does not look that way in real life. This color is great for Estes Goblins, Astron Sprints, EAC Vipers, etc. where regular yellow looks too girlish.

rosko_racer
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I am experimenting with Testors Turn Signal Amber Metalic and so far looks good... so far I have done one fin and I am waiting for it to dry for a second coat.

tbzep
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
BTW, painted decal paper will likely flake when you go to apply them. I was able to make a very good matching purple decal. I painted my nosecone, then used the computer to print off different shades of purple until I matched it. Once I got the match, I replaced the color of the decal with the matching color. To get your match perfect, tweak your final test prints on some type of glossy paper or cardstock. If you use regular typing paper, the color will be a little different from the same file printed on the glossy decal material and the final product will be slightly different from the painted nosecone. Yes, I've learned the hard way. :rolleyes:

rosko_racer
06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Hhmm... You got me thinking... I have an ALPS printer that is not working perfectly but I can print .5" wide stripes... I may experiment on photo gloss paper first and once closely match then I can go forward with printing on decal paper... great idea... I am going to try that if the decal paper experiment fails...

rosko_racer
06-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I am finished with my EAC Viper for now...

I coated a piece of decal paper used for ALPS printers with a "wet coat" of Rich Plum Gloss paint and waited 36 hours for it to dry. With a fresh hobby knife I cut the intended decal stripes for the Viper fins and the top and it worked well. I applied two coats of Future for good measure. The decals were very flexible, no flaking or cracking. I think that if I would have waited for the paint to completly cure it may have come off the decal paper but who knows... I still have a few pieces and will see in a week or two if it happens.

The decal paper experiment and the Turn Signal Amber Metallic from Testors worked well on my Viper. I had to apply three thin coats of the Amber color then a fourth thick one and keeping the fin horizontal an level so the paint would not run, this worked fine for me. No decals for now because I am working on redrawing them. I am having problems with the font so I may use another font for an "updated" look. Any suggestions for the font? Once done I will post the PDF file for anyones delight.

rosko_racer
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Redrew the EAC Viper decals but had to use a similar font. I made one set in Magenta and another in Purple. Both are made to be printed on one half of the decal page. The decals are the same size as the original scan except for the smaller "estes aerospace club" decal as it is done to fit between the upper and lower fins. The catalog and instruction pictures show the use of the smaller decals on the BT. But it looks like folks liked the larger decal better. I opted to not include the larger circle because I do not think folks would be using it as a decal but I still have a file with the larger one in case anyone needs a copy. This file can be use to be printed with an inkjet or color laser printer. You may also use it with an ALPS but I do not know how it will turn out.

Let me know what you think. Enjoy!!!

tbzep
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Looks great!

DaveR
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I still have (actually my son has it) a t-shirt with the iron on EAC decal. It is more purple like the photos you've posted. The old stick on decal I found is more magenta. The stuff came out of the same EAC membership package in the late 70's. I'm leaning toward matching the nosecone color, which is pretty close to the pictures you've posted.
So... what color paint did you end up using?

tbzep
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
So... what color paint did you end up using?

I believe it was Krylon "Rich Plum Gloss" #1914 (old formula) and Plasti-Kote "School Bus Yellow". I color matched the home made decals to the nose cone. :)

DaveR
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I believe it was Krylon "Rich Plum Gloss" #1914 (old formula) and Plasti-Kote "School Bus Yellow". I color matched the home made decals to the nose cone. :)
I see, do you still have the matching decal file?

tbzep
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I see, do you still have the matching decal file?

I don't know. I'll poke around and see.