PDA

View Full Version : flutter-by

motley16
08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I just got the word that the "flutter-by" kit will hit the streets on 8/25/10 ,word up boys. :) My word is gold.

foose4string
08-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Golden Boy has spoken! :D

JRThro
08-16-2010, 02:39 PM
For some reason, Golden Boy, I've been looking on ebay lately for a Flutter-By.

Since your word is gold, I will now wait for someone to mention here that they've seen a new one somewhere.

Doug Sams
08-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Golden Boy has spoken! :DPaul Hornung is on this forum? :D

Doug

Ltvscout
08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Paul Hornung is on this forum? :D
All the Packers are here, in spirit. ;)

Go Pack!

Shreadvector
08-16-2010, 03:30 PM
All the Packers are here, in spirit. ;)

Go Pack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gracQf60DrE&feature=player_embedded

Ltvscout
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gracQf60DrE&feature=player_embedded
Heh, I saw that the other day. I can tell you there's a few problems with that commercial though. We don't talk like that in WI. That's more of the MN/ND accent as used in the movie Fargo.

Secondly, we don't have anything against the 49er's. It's the Vikings and Bears that we hate. ;) Detroit? :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

raohara
08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
For some reason, Golden Boy, I've been looking on ebay lately for a Flutter-By.

Since your word is gold, I will now wait for someone to mention here that they've seen a new one somewhere.
I'll be one of the first to get them when they are released. If I remember, I'll post here on the day they come in. Then we'll see how good Golden Boy REALLY is.

foose4string
08-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't see any evidence of the Flutter By shipping out today.

o1d_dude
08-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Today being 8/25 I spotted several at my LHS, held them in my hands, and put them all back.

What can I say? They didn't do anything for me.

foose4string
08-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Today being 8/25 I spotted several at my LHS, held them in my hands, and put them all back.

What can I say? They didn't do anything for me.

I like the retro look and am looking forward to the not-so-standard recovery method. Interesting that you saw them on the street. All of the online vendors including Estes aren't showing any stock yet.

JRThro
08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
If and when I buy one, I'm thinking of connecting the two sections with a shock cord to make them easier to find and recover.

o1d_dude
08-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't get me wrong. They're a fine kit.

The thing is they're a little bit small but the price wasn't.

rokitflite
08-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Ahhh yes! I have advanced knowledge of mysterious Estes rocket releases too! It's called "I checked our backorder list from Great Planes". Ooooooo! Mystical! The Flutter-By and 3 others are gonna be in our next order :eek: :rolleyes: .

Shreadvector
08-26-2010, 07:42 AM
If and when I buy one, I'm thinking of connecting the two sections with a shock cord to make them easier to find and recover.
I suggest buying two. Build and fly the first one as designed and see how you like the cool maple-seed recovery. you may or may not want to build the seond one with a connecting cord since it will not recover as 'cool'.

Either way, let us know what you think if and when you do it.

I love the two part maple-seed recovery rockets. They are also a good way of teaching beginners about stability and instability. An excellent 2nd or 3rd rocket for students.

ghrocketman
08-26-2010, 09:34 AM
+1 to what Fred just said above.
The rocket will "flop around" during recovery if the two pieces remain attached via a cord (just like any other "nose blow" recovered no-streamer/chute rocket), but will not look nearly as neat as the "maple seeds" spinning down as intended.
Agree that the price of these is WAY above what I'd expect to pay for such a simple small rocket though... :mad:

GregGleason
08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Ahhh yes! I have advanced knowledge of mysterious Estes rocket releases too! It's called "I checked our backorder list from Great Planes". Ooooooo! Mystical! The Flutter-By and 3 others are gonna be in our next order :eek: :rolleyes: .

:chuckle:

You, sir, are a funny guy.

http://www.acus.org/files/images/johnny-carson-carnak.jpg

Greg

JRThro
08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Ooooooo! Mystical! The Flutter-By and 3 others are gonna be in our next order :eek: :rolleyes: .
That IS amazing!
:eek:

And hey, what are the other 3?
:confused:

dcastle
08-26-2010, 02:20 PM
The original Centuri version was one of my early rockets when I was but 11 or 12. I remember putting on the school roof once when demoing for a class and the teacher wouldn't let us go out on the athletic field to launch. I'm looking forward to building another memory from my youth.

Ltvscout
08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
The original Centuri version was one of my early rockets when I was but 11 or 12. I remember putting on the school roof once when demoing for a class and the teacher wouldn't let us go out on the athletic field to launch. I'm looking forward to building another memory from my youth.
Did you do what GH probably would've done as a youth and kicked him in the nads for losing your rocket? :chuckle: ;)

Bill
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Did you do what GH probably would've done as a youth and kicked him in the nads for losing your rocket? :chuckle: ;)

Nah...that was the one who inspired him to make hammered motors...

Bill

motley16
08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
I just got the word that the "flutter-by" kit will hit the streets on 8/25/10 ,word up boys. :) My word is gold.
Well I was off by a few days but the "flutter-by" is out. Get yours today boys. :) My word is gold. I am golden boy. :chuckle:

o1d_dude
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
For the third time I picked up a Flutter-By at the LHS and just couldn't bring myself to pay $12.95 for such a small rocket.

Spent the $13 on the LDRS 29 issue of rockets and a PNC80H nosecone instead.

LeeR
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
For the third time I picked up a Flutter-By at the LHS and just couldn't bring myself to pay $12.95 for such a small rocket.

Kit,

I guess the Flutter By is so expensive, because it has almost twice the number of parts as a $6.99 Quark ... actually, it might just be a steal!

:rolleyes:

chrism
08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Kit,

I guess the Flutter By is so expensive, because it has almost twice the number of parts as a $6.99 Quark ... actually, it might just be a steal!

:rolleyes:
Don't forget its a two-part rocket. $6.50 per part?

foose4string
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM

They are averaging about 8 bucks from online sources. Of course, you'd have to order 100 bucks worth of stuff to actually get that price. I added a few more rockets when I ordered my Saturn V and this was one of them. It was on back order but shipped out early this morning.

From the build pics, it's small, but not tiny. It's generally cheaper to scrounge parts and clone something like this, but I didn't mind paying the kit price online. Sometimes it's hard to justify kit prices when you know what the actual materials cost that go into it, but there is something to be said for hearing the bag crinkle, seeing the colorful graphics on the header, laser cuts, and pre-cut tubes, etc. :)