PDA

View Full Version : V-2 at White Sands video

MarkB.
09-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm a big fan of supporting local small businesses. A couple of days ago, in a small print shop, I ran across a DVD: V-2 Rocket at White Sands Missile Range, NM for $24.00. It's complied and produced by Capstone Productions and distributed by elpasogold.com, both of whom are local companies. Run time is 65 minutes and my player says its at 720p. I rushed home and the kids and I popped it in:

The video is a collection of U.S. Government and German war footage plus new footage from 2002 and 2004 detailing the rebuild by the Kansas Kosmosphere of the V-2 held by the range museum. The rebuild was painted in the yellow and black markings of the partially successful #2 launch. There's footage of the successful #3 launch and there's also a segment on the "Buy Bonds" flight with the special atmosphere collection nose cone.

Lots of cool stuff for about the price of a book. Scale guys will love it.

Two thumbs up

GregGleason
09-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I may have to get it. :D

Also, if you don't mind, posting a few pics of the V2 you are working on.

Greg

MarkB.
09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Wish granted.

Pic 1 is the rebuilt fin can; the red on the fin joints is Bondo; it was originally 29mm powered but I'm considering returning it to 24mm and using reloads. The sheets in the foreground are .015 plastic sheet glued between the fin halves. As I posted elsewhere, this is a fabulous way to reenforce these flimsy parts and adding only negligable weight.

Pic 2 is the rebuilt and stripped rocket mocked up.

Pic 3 is the 1/19th mocked up behind my slow project 1/40th (BT-60/#16) V-2s which are Bumper, Blossom (with the one-diameter extended tube) and #3. They are BMS nose and tail cones with Semroc laser cut fins. I've been tinkering with these since April.

GregGleason
09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
That's great stuff Mark and what a nice fleet!

Greg