PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Semroc Mini Omega owners

Bill
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
I was starting to build my Semroc Mini Omega when I noticed a minor error in the instructions. I notified the McLawhorns and they told me of a more serious error they detected. So serious, in fact, that they took down the Mini Omega until they have new instructions ready.

For those of you who already have the kit:

The problem is in two places. The first is step 14. You should mark the motor mount for the sustainer 1/4" from the end instead of 3/8"

The second is in step 29. Glue the coupler into the booster so that just under 1/2" remains exposed.

Carl said that his prototype was correct, but the proper dimensions did not make it into the instructions. Built according to the wrong instructions, the booster would not fit onto the sustainer properly because the coupler contacts the rear centering ring of the sustainer mount before the body tubes meet.

The error I noticed is a duplicate of the text of step 27 replacing part of the text for step 28. I just figured I would do step 28 like step 18, but would notify Semroc so that they can get it into their next revision.

The corrected instructions may be found at:

www.semroc.com/documents/pdf/mini omega.pdf

Happy building...

Bill

kenobi65
09-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I hadn't started on this one yet!

chanstevens
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Too late for me, but I just hacked a little bit off the coupler and it fits well enough to get by. I was building all 10 of the new releases together, just assumed somewhere along the line I got a dimension wrong or motor mount mixed up. There's enough similarity between most of them that I had to pencil the kit name on them as I was working.

--Chan Stevens

Bill
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Too late for me, but I just hacked a little bit off the coupler and it fits well enough to get by. I was building all 10 of the new releases together, just assumed somewhere along the line I got a dimension wrong or motor mount mixed up. There's enough similarity between most of them that I had to pencil the kit name on them as I was working.

I would have missed it too. My attention was on making sure the slots for the fins remained clear and not at all on the booster coupler. Lucky for me I talked to Semroc in time.

I also bought the Cherokee-C and the Mini Hustler and should probably gang build them too.

I am not sure if I should say this, but Carl told me that he has sustainer parts ready to ship to anyone who messed theirs up.

Bill

Bill
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
I just heard from Sheryl that they just put up nine Mini Omega kits with corrected instructions.

After that, there may be a bit of a wait while they make more parts.

Bill

jharding58
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
I picked up the little inaccuracy on the third read through the instructions. Just one of those habits that I never got rid of. To be fair, that is an awful lot of copy to have to go through with a small staff. I hereby nominate myself as a pre-production assembler... No really... I'd do it for nothing...

Perhaps a little tangential (but then aren't we all?) shouldn't we have a Mike Dorffler launch at NARAM? It would be a nice way to say "hi" by sending a few smoke trails his way. Perhaps even a Semroc Mini-Omega - with coordination with Hobbico of course. Also, does anyone know if there is a charity bequeathed by Mike or his widow that is accessible through ebay? I would like to send a portion of proceeds to his nominated charity.

jharding58
09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I just heard from Sheryl that they just put up nine Mini Omega kits with corrected instructions.

After that, there may be a bit of a wait while they make more parts.

Bill

You can also download the corrected manual in pdf from the website.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-29

You just gotta love Semroc.

jharding58
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
One other addition to the Mini Omega, well actually to the faux Cineroc capsule. I added a small piece of 3/16 square and sanded it down to the shape of the lens fairing. Looks remarkably average and does require that you place this opposite the LL when you put it on the pad.

Bill
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
One other addition to the Mini Omega, well actually to the faux Cineroc capsule. I added a small piece of 3/16 square and sanded it down to the shape of the lens fairing. Looks remarkably average and does require that you place this opposite the LL when you put it on the pad.

That is what I plan to do with mine since I do not intend to fly it with a camera yet.

Bill

Bill
09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
I have made further progress with my build. There is one more change from the updated instructions which I failed to notice before.

In step 25, the laser-cut edges of the spacing tabs should be glued to the motor tube. In other words, you want the width of the tabs to span between the motor tube and the outer booster tube. The thickness of the tabs is not enough.

Bill

jharding58
09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
I have made further progress with my build. There is one more change from the updated instructions which I failed to notice before.

In step 25, the laser-cut edges of the spacing tabs should be glued to the motor tube. In other words, you want the width of the tabs to span between the motor tube and the outer booster tube. The thickness of the tabs is not enough.

Bill

Good catch. I think Semroc got that one too. The new instructions on the web contain the urgent bold instruction to:

"Glue the eight spacing tabs on the lines drawn. Apply glue to the laser-cut edges!"

Bill
09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Good catch. I think Semroc got that one too. The new instructions on the web contain the urgent bold instruction to:

"Glue the eight spacing tabs on the lines drawn. Apply glue to the laser-cut edges!"

Yes, Semroc caught that one too. I did not print the revised instructions to replace the original, but just used the PDF for reference where I knew there were problems.

BTW, I am thinking of building the Cherokee-C and Mini Hustler motor mounts the same way as the slightly modified Mini Omega sustainer. It may not be historically faithful, but it will still be fun to fly those with the Mini Omega booster some day...

Bill