PDA

View Full Version : Estes Cosmic Explorer

Initiator001
09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
There have been several threads from folks building the new Estes kits. I thought I should get with the program and build one, also. ;)

I decided on the Cosmic Explorer.

The build was pretty straight-forward, the thru-the-wall fins were a nice feature. :)

I must have bought one of the first ones off the production line as there were several mistakes in the instructions (Gluing the fins before installing the motor mount?) but I knew better plus Estes has posted updated instructions on their website.

I look forward to flying it.

jeffyjeep
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Very nice! I like the totally retro "label gun" style decal.

Hmmm. Do label guns still exist?

Initiator001
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Very nice! I like the totally retro "label gun" style decal.

Hmmm. Do label guns still exist?

Yes, the 'Name' decal looks like it was made on an old Dymo label gun (I had one back in the 1970s).

Label machines still exist. Dymo is still around but has updated their system. The leading 'home' label machine/label company is Brother with their P-Touch system (I sell them at Staples).

Bob

Captain Ron
03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm working on a Cosmic Explorer right now.... Mine came with a red supplementary page with modified instructions stating to build the engine mount assembly first and installing it before attaching the fins.. I suggest test fitting before gluing to make sure each part is positioned correctly. for example, the fins have a small notch in the root that fits around the clear mylar ring that goes around the engine tube. Make sure the mylar ring is in its correct location before gluing.

I did have a E/D engine mount for a Bt-55 tube and was half tempted to use that instead of the included mount however it was already assembled and the rear ring was in the way of the fins, so it will be used in another project.....

I replaced the included rubber band shock cord with a 1/8 braided elastic from walmart.... I cut mine out at 50" which is twice the length of the rocket when completed.... I used the estes paper tri fold mount and tied a loop on the nose cone... so far so good.... I just wished i could have used my E/D mount.... :cool:

Captain Ron
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Its finished!!!

evo666
03-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Looks good. I've been meaning to pick one up.

tbzep
03-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I must have bought one of the first ones off the production line as there were several mistakes in the instructions (Gluing the fins before installing the motor mount?) but I knew better plus Estes has posted updated instructions on their website.

Centuri used to have you do fins before the motor mount. I guess they copied that part from the Centurion plans without thinking about the TTW alterations. :confused: