PDA

View Full Version : For all you Star Wars fans...

K.M.Knox
10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/tag/1986426319.html

Am I that out of the loop that this kit is worth $160 to collectors? I'm guessing someone is fishing? Some poor sucker may just grab that hook, line, and sinker... Then again maybe not.

ghrocketman
10-04-2010, 09:08 AM
That thing is barely worth $16, let alone $160.
Somebody fishing for a major SUCKER is all this is.
More like hook, line, and STINKER is what the poor fool would get.

jadebox
10-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Years ago, I bought 5 or 6 assorted Star Wars starter sets at KB Toys for about $5 each after they tossed them in the discount bin.

I suspect that set is worth maybe $30 now. Unfortunately, you can't sell them on eBay or ship them because they contain "propellant and fuses" ... err ... I mean "motors and igniters."

-- Roger

jetlag
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Years ago, I bought 5 or 6 assorted Star Wars starter sets at KB Toys for about $5 each after they tossed them in the discount bin.

I suspect that set is worth maybe $30 now. Unfortunately, you can't sell them on eBay or ship them because they contain "propellant and fuses" ... err ... I mean "motors and igniters."

-- Roger

Folks sell motors all the time on Ebay, now.

ghrocketman
10-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Seems ebay pulls a lot less of the motor auctions now.

Bill
10-04-2010, 03:21 PM

I guess they are too busy enforcing "Paypal only."

Bill

jadebox
10-04-2010, 04:15 PM

They catch most of them. I see the listings appear and disappear daily through the scripts I use for PayloadBay.com's "Auction Browser."

And, they inflict some collateral damage, too. We had a listing for a motor mount kit pulled once. Even though eBay accepted my explanation that the item isn't prohibitied, it remained as a black mark on our account for a few months and could have affected our Power Seller status.

-- Roger

jharding58
10-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Am I that out of the loop that this kit is worth $160 to collectors? I'm guessing someone is fishing? Some poor sucker may just grab that hook, line, and sinker... Then again maybe not.

I think you may find that a "Star Wars" collector may be that interested as opposed to a rocketry collector. Given the recent announcement of the re-release of the original 3 films to 3D theatrical release you never know what may happen. That Trade Federation Battleship you have been sitting on for years might just get red hot!

Geez... is Lucas really that hurting for money?

LeeR
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
But wait, there's more ...

included are pre-assembled re-entry "shoots" for each rocket!

ghrocketman
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Buttheads in charge of ebay should allow motor sales as they do not have liability in how they are shipped.
They should take the "none of my STINKIN bizzness" stand and just butt out.

One CAN even buy lots of vintage firecrackers/fireworks on ebay (even REAL silver salutes, M80's, and cherry bombs that were produced when they were legal up to the 60's) if one knows how and what to look for. Expect to pay a HEAVY price for the vintage stuff though. A half-gross (72) of vintage United Salutes Cherry Bombs went for about $275.00 sometime in June.

Doug Sams
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Buttheads in charge of ebay should allow motor sales as they do not have liability in how they are shipped.
They should take the "none of my STINKIN bizzness" stand and just butt outAs long as they don't know about something, it's hard to hold them liable. But once they become aware of it, they take on part of the burden of enforcement whether they like it or not. If it can be shown they knew something illegal was occurring (inside their purview) and they didn't make a reasonable effort to prevent it, they can be held liable.

I agree with you in principle, but once ignorant facilitators become informed, they can no longer plead ignorance. So now they err on the side of caution, to a seemingly idiotic level. We've seen cases where they killed an auction despite the clear labeling that no motors were included. It's very frustrating when the ebay automatons don't even read the listing before killing it.

At that point, we all share the frustration.

Doug

cas2047
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM

The guy has got to be dreaming. :chuckle:

ghrocketman
10-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Ebay has no way of determining if the seller is legally or illegally shipping the motors.
I would argue they are only a transaction facilitator.
I see them as having no duty at all regarding the policing of how said seller physically transfers the goods. Best policy would be to stay out of it.
They cannot police shipment of motors any more than they police shipment of octane booster, R/C fuel, car paint, or aerosol cans.
I just don't buy the argument that they have any duty to discover if the shipper is able to ship the sold goods.
Now if someone intentionally disclosed that they intended to ship said goods illegally, then it would be a totally different story where they would have to distance themselves from the transaction completely to avoid liability.

One can get ALL SORTS of Goodies through ebay that they would never allow on the site if one blatantly stated what was actually for sale. Possibly persons need to start listing motors as "propulsion modules" as in the old Semroc vernacular.

I'm sure some WEENIE person that likes to play JUNIOR Shipment COP will weigh in here with 2 cents worth of condescention and chastisement.

Rocket Doctor
10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Ignorance of the law will only get you in more trouble than it's worth.

If the rocket motors manufacturers have to abide by the rules and regulation, so should us hobbyists.

The rules and laws are there for a purpose. SAFETY

Think of the legal ramifications if something were to happen, motors are not allowed on aircraft, must be sent by ground transportation and if "motors" happen to get onboard and something were to happen, then what. And with groud transportation, you must have the proper documents and the proper type box as well.

Our hobby doesn't need any headaches, we have enough problems just to find a flying field and come up with an insurance policy to make the land owner happy.

I don't agree with chemicals being sold on eby and motors cannot, but, under the shipping rules of the USPS, this is what we have to abide by.

And, by Ebay looking the other way, they would be liable, in my opinion if something were to happen.

It's just not worth the potential domino effect to ship motors and say you didn't know.

Our hobby has come this far on our safety record, we need not blemish that record.