PDA

View Full Version : RockSim on Linux

CPMcGraw
10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
OK everyone, this is to let you know that I've finally got RockSim 9.0.9.87 running on Ubuntu 10.04, under WINE Beta. In fact, I'm sending this post from the same Linux box, using the (native Linux) Chromium browser.

I pulled down the Exoteria file as a test, and it opened without a hitch.

So, to make it clear what I'm doing, I'm running the Windows version of RockSim 9.0.9.87 (latest build) under WINE (recent beta version) on a Ubuntu 10.04 installation. The machine is NOT a fancy 64-bit machine, either, but is actually a 9-year-old 1 GHz (original) Athlon system with a half-GB of ram. The mobo is from Jetway. This configuration is quite zippy for such an old machine. It even feels as fast if not a tad faster than my Athlon 3200+ machine with 2 GB of ram and Win7 Pro.

brianc
10-05-2010, 07:34 PM
OK everyone, this is to let you know that I've finally got RockSim 9.0.9.87 running on Ubuntu 10.04, under WINE Beta.
How's the animation on the 2D flight profile? That's where I always ran into challenges- creating the sprite files and showing the 'video'...

'Course I was using junk hardware and crappy video cards.

CPMcGraw
10-07-2010, 10:50 PM
How's the animation on the 2D flight profile? That's where I always ran into challenges- creating the sprite files and showing the 'video'...

'Course I was using junk hardware and crappy video cards.

Well, let me start out by saying the 3D renderings when static, not in motion look good, but that on the 10-yr-old hardware I'm using the rendering speed is just about neck-and-neck with an old tortoise.

I'm setting up a somewhat faster U10.04 box (a 3-yr-old eMachine) tonight, and I'm going to see what happens on it. Getting Wine to run at all has been a big issue on every other Linux install I've worked with. Using the 1.2 beta has given me the first real shot at it.

I'll post a report on the faster box as soon as I can...

CPMcGraw
10-07-2010, 11:55 PM
So, I'm now on the 'new' Linux machine for this post, and I have to say, it's much better than the older one. Even with mobo graphics (GeForce 6100 series), this Sempron 3400+ isn't shabby at all... :)

Firefox, however, sucks, but that's another issue... :(

Addendum: Installed Chromium (Google Chrome), and that took care of the slow browsing issue. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Now, to the question about the Flight Profile simulation video. Works as intended, but with one caveat: RockSim cannot "see" the installation location for Wine's "C:" drive folder. It's a hidden, or 'stealth' drive from Linux's POV. You will need to create a folder somewhere in the 'real world' and save the sprites there. RockSim can see those folders, and has no problem either reading or writing to them. You would need to do the same when creating folders for designs.

On to the 3D rendering issue, it's still slow, but not much slower than if it were running native under Windows. The images drop down to wireframe while in motion, but immediately come back up to fully 'fleshed out' when the button is released.

There is a modest slow-down for any rendering job, but the number-crunching jobs are as fast as under Windows. Almost seems like it's a bit faster. :D