PDA

View Full Version : Bigger text?

blackshire
11-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Hello All,

I don't know if it was accidental or intentional, but this morning the text size here on YORF is slightly but noticeably larger, and I like the change!

Rocketflyer
11-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Hello All,

I don't know if it was accidental or intentional, but this morning the text size here on YORF is slightly but noticeably larger, and I like the change!

'Tis easier on the ol' eyes for sure. :D

sandman
11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
???

It looks the same to me.

tbzep
11-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Hello All,

Hold down the CTRL button and move your scroll button on the mouse. It changes the font size in Firefox and Chromium. Probably works on IE too.

You most likely did that accidentally and didn't notice at the time.

blackshire
11-26-2010, 09:42 AM
No, it doesn't make any difference. (I never use the scroll knob because it's in such a location that I can't bend either adjacent finger to reach it without great effort.)

tbzep
11-26-2010, 10:35 AM
No, it doesn't make any difference. (I never use the scroll knob because it's in such a location that I can't bend either adjacent finger to reach it without great effort.)

Most people who accidentally change text size, accidentally drag their hand across the scroll button while their other hand is resting on the CRTL button.

You can also hold down CTRL and push the + or - key to do the same thing, BTW.

If your text size doesn't change using either method, something is screwy about your computer. I never use IE, but I looked it up and text size can be changed using the same methods as Firefox and Chromium.

Mark II
11-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Most people who accidentally change text size, accidentally drag their hand across the scroll button while their other hand is resting on the CRTL button.

You can also hold down CTRL and push the + or - key to do the same thing, BTW.

If your text size doesn't change using either method, something is screwy about your computer. I never use IE, but I looked it up and text size can be changed using the same methods as Firefox and Chromium.

.The text size looks the same to me as well. But if anyone is having difficulty reading YORF's text at its default size, using their browser's zoom function (as you have described) is an easy fix. (That's why they all include it.) My laptop has a multi-touch track pad and no scroll wheel. I inadvertently zoom the screen in or out sometimes when I am trying to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other. Just as with other inadvertent actions that are triggered by a careless flick or gesture, I'm not really sure what I do to invoke it, but I just hit Control-0 to bring it back to default. Firefox apparently has a number of actions that can be invoked by making certain moves on the trackpad. I wish I knew what those gestures were so that I could use them deliberately for a change.

Ltvscout
11-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Hello All,

I didn't change anything.

tbzep
11-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I didn't change anything.

That's what Dr. Frankenfurter said, too. http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9444.gif

Ltvscout
11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
That's what Dr. Frankenfurter said, too. http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9444.gif
Ya, but I'm not a sweet transvestite, from transexual Transylvania! :eek:

Mark II
11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Brad? ...

Janet?...

... Rocky???

blackshire
11-26-2010, 08:43 PM

You can also hold down CTRL and push the + or - key to do the same thing, BTW. -SNIP-That did the trick--Thank You!

RandyT0001
11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Brad? ...

Janet?...

... Rocky???

Oh, what a picture show.
The horror.

Gingerdawg
11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
It looks the same to me!

luke strawwalker
11-26-2010, 11:58 PM
You can change the text side as well by going to the "Page" tab and click on the arrow, which drops the menu down, and in the third group of commands about 3/4 of the way down the menu, you'll see "Text size" and a side arrow, click the side arrow and another menu box pops up beside it with the choices, usually set to "smaller" or "medium" as the browser default. I usually click "larger" for most pages and it will enlarge the text without actually zooming in on the page-- which is nice because zooming widens the frame beyond the borders of your monitor screen and requires you to constantly slide the frame back and forth to see the text since it runs off the side of the screen. Enlarging the text keeps the window frame the exact same size and simple enlarges the text, so it shortens the sentences but makes the paragraphs longer, so they all still fit within the same frame.

Works like a champ! I use it all the time on websites like nasaspaceflight.com/forums because their font is VERY small and I don't like it... makes for VERY tiring reading! I think virtually ALL text should really be larger on the internet-- makes for less eyestrain and easier reading.

My pet peeve is when people choose extremely "busy" backgrounds that make reading the overlying text nearly impossible, or overly complicated webpage designs that take forever to load or work with, or is too "busy" on the screen to make heads or tails of... and ESPECIALLY when people choose a LOW CONTRAST between their background and their text, which can make reading the text nearly impossible... red text on a black field or yellow text on a red background or green text on blue is usually EXTREMELY difficult to read and tends to "run together" or look smudged...

Thank goodness this is white text on a dark blue background... high contrast between the text and background is a GOOD thing!!!

Later! OL JR :)

tbzep
11-27-2010, 08:53 AM
You can change the text side as well by going to the "Page" tab and click on the arrow, which drops the menu down, and in the third group of commands about 3/4 of the way down the menu, you'll see "Text size" and a side arrow, click the side arrow and another menu box pops up beside it with the choices, usually set to "smaller" or "medium" as the browser default. I usually click "larger" for most pages and it will enlarge the text without actually zooming in on the page-- which is nice because zooming widens the frame beyond the borders of your monitor screen and requires you to constantly slide the frame back and forth to see the text since it runs off the side of the screen. Enlarging the text keeps the window frame the exact same size and simple enlarges the text, so it shortens the sentences but makes the paragraphs longer, so they all still fit within the same frame.

Or you can just hit CTRL and spin your mouse wheel....or the + or - key. It's a lot simpler to do and to explain. ;)

luke strawwalker
11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Or you can just hit CTRL and spin your mouse wheel....or the + or - key. It's a lot simpler to do and to explain. ;)

If you like wasting time scrolling endlessly back and forth when you zoom in on the page to enlarge the text...

The other way ONLY enlarges the text-- NO SCROLLING (except down of course).

Later! OL JR :)

Doug Sams
11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
If you like wasting time scrolling endlessly back and forth when you zoom in on the page to enlarge the text...

The other way ONLY enlarges the text-- NO SCROLLING (except down of course).

Later! OL JR :)That's a configuration option. In newer versions of IE, I used to think ctrl-scroll would only zoom the entire page, but there's a config option to scale only the text while leaving the pics and page width unaffected.

I wanna say Firefox has a similar config option, but I can't find it in the menus right now. [Edit: It's in the View menu: View>Zoom>Zoom Text Only .] Either way, I prefer to scale only the text, and that's what my Firefox setup does.

Doug

Thomas Malthouse
12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Hold down the CTRL button and move your scroll button on the mouse. It changes the font size in Firefox and Chromium. Probably works on IE too.

You most likely did that accidentally and didn't notice at the time.

I have a Mac running Safari and that just makes everything (as in the whole screen) to zoom in. Maybe that only works on PCs?

tbzep
12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a Mac running Safari and that just makes everything (as in the whole screen) to zoom in. Maybe that only works on PCs?

I imagine it has more to do with Safari than the type of hardware.
You can try holding the control key while hitting the plus or minus key and see if it acts differently than the scroll wheel, but I imagine it will do the same thing.

According to a quick search, you have a menu tool for zooming text only. You can also install an extension called rightsizer that let's you right click the mouse for changes. Here's a description of it.

Rightsizer Page Enhancer

Rightsizer is for myopic fussy people. It's basically a better replacement for the "zoom text only" feature of Safari. Unlike Safari's built-in feature, Rightsizer lets you zoom text in specific parts of a web page instead of all the text on a page. More precisely, it lets you zoom specific kinds of text on a page. And it can remember your font size settings for a web site and reapply them the next time you visit that site, if the page has the same kinds of text. You use modified right-clicks to tell the extension what to zoom—hence the name "Rightsizer".

Thomas Malthouse
12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I imagine it has more to do with Safari than the type of hardware.
You can try holding the control key while hitting the plus or minus key and see if it acts differently than the scroll wheel, but I imagine it will do the same thing.

According to a quick search, you have a menu tool for zooming text only. You can also install an extension called rightsizer that let's you right click the mouse for changes. Here's a description of it.

It's not Safari. It does that when I'm using Firefox or when I'm using some other app.

tbzep
12-27-2010, 08:55 PM
It's not Safari. It does that when I'm using Firefox or when I'm using some other app.

You said "Mac running Safari" and said nothing about it doing it with Firefox. :confused:

AFIK, today's Mac desktops use regular PC type components such as Intel cpu's, pci-e graphics from ATI, etc. That means that the problem is with the way OS-X implements keyboard strokes and mouse inputs. At one time Asustek made the laptops, so I would guess that the components are similar in them too.