PDA

View Full Version : Original Designs For Estes Longshot & Eliminator Fin Cans

snaquin
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I will have a couple of extra fin cans left over after I run out of EnerJet sounding rockets to clone :D

But what to do with those fin cans instead of just another carbon copy of the Estes Maniac or Eliminator design?

I tweaked a file I used for my "Reunited Ripper" rocket that placed 3rd in the EMRR Reunion Virtual Rocket Contest. (Well Nick said it looked like a worm so I figured it needed a makeover).

http://www.rocketreviews.com/virtual_contest8.shtml

I call it "Wormloader". I dropped two fins and added a parachute to the sustainer. Basic EnerJet 1340 with a transition to the sustainer for a total of three transitions. Would need electronics in the sustainers worm-like payload section to stage it so I guess that's what it's there for :) A new variation on the fin can color too - bright green!

Any of you guys have any other design suggestions for what to do with those fin cans? Since I didn't use the RockSim "subassembly" feature to make the fin can a single part, you would have to copy and past these three parts from the design file to use them: Fin Can Molded Launch Lug, Fin Can Sleeve Only & Fin Can Fin Set (4).

tbzep
04-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Any of you guys have any other design suggestions for what to do with those fin cans? Since I didn't use the RockSim "subassembly" feature to make the fin can a single part, you would have to copy and past these three parts from the design file to use them: Fin Can Molded Launch Lug, Fin Can Sleeve Only & Fin Can Fin Set (4).

I built a Challenger-II clone. It's the official unofficial D powered booster for the Astrocam.

Catalog Link 1981. (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/81est026.html)

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I built a Challenger-II clone. It's the official unofficial D powered booster for the Astrocam.

Catalog Link 1981. (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/81est026.html)

This was also what I had planned, but the Enerjet kits are too cool to ignore. :cool:

snaquin
04-29-2006, 08:45 PM

I didn't remember the Challenger-II. Funny you should mention that one. Earlier this month I had read the article Bill sent to EMRR for his Challenger-1. The decal scheme looks to be about the same as the smaller Challenger-1.

Black fin can, white body tube & yellow nose cone. Was the nose cone molded in yellow or do the catalogs just show it that way?

John Brohm
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Black fin can, white body tube & yellow nose cone. Was the nose cone molded in yellow or do the catalogs just show it that way?

Molded in Yellow; photo of my Challenger II kit-in-bag, below.

snaquin
04-30-2006, 02:32 PM

I just reread the catalog link and with the molded colors for the nose cone and fin can with the pre-colored white tubes it was one of those "less than one hour" builds.

My thanks to all of you for your suggestions. This is do-able. I have a fin can from the Longshot, a nose cone from the Eliminator and the white tubes from an Eggspress. I have all the engine mount parts from the Eliminator too. I pretty much have everything I need.

John your built Challenger-II looks great! I guess I'll have to put this one in the build queue too. Did you clear coat the nose cone along with the rest of the rocket to get it looking so nice? I noticed you sent a .tiff decal scan to YORS for this one as well :D

Also, is it a single 18" length of BT-56? All I have are short 12" sections unless I cut what I need from some Semroc ST-13 I have on hand.

John Brohm
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
John your built Challenger-II looks great! I guess I'll have to put this one in the build queue too. Did you clear coat the nose cone along with the rest of the rocket to get it looking so nice? I noticed you sent a .tiff decal scan to YORS for this one as well :D

Also, is it a single 18" length of BT-56? All I have are short 12" sections unless I cut what I need from some Semroc ST-13 I have on hand.

Thanks Steve - the nose was taken from an Estes NC-56 nose cone pack. It was one of the canary yellow ones (same one that goes with the Eliminator). I sprayed it with Testors #1214 Gloss Yellow, as this color is a good match to the orignal (you can see this in the photo). Out of the bag, the Eliminator nose cone is a bit bright and light by comparison.

The body tube is a single 18" length of BT-56 per the original - I believe it came from the now hard to find (at least around here) BT-56 Tube Packs that Estes used to produce. Sunward, ARG, and others offer direct equivalents.

My fin can came from either a Maniac or an Eliminator (I can't quite recall), so it had to be painted. A quick word about the fin can - unlike the nose cones, which are ABS, the fin can is a type of polystyrene, so Krylon is a big no-no. You have to go with a non-lacquer based paint, like Testors, or Rustoeleum, or perhaps Duplicolor - I think it's Duplicolor Gloss Black that was used on my Challenger.

The decals were printed directly from that TIFF file you found on YORS on Expert's Choice clear decal film. I think Expert's Choice is one of the best decal films around to work with - thin, but tough, so it can take a little handling during the application process without breaking up, like some other thin films tend to do. The whole rocket was clear coated with Testors Gloss Cote.

When building my clone, I went ahead and made the motor mount the right length to take an E9 size (or F21!) motor. Haven't tried that impulse in this model yet - so far it's been flying great on a C11.

Make sure you post some photos of your Challenger II when you have it done!

snaquin
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
John thanks for all your great tips and advice. I do appreciate it.

A closer look at your photo and I see what you described concerning the yellow color.

You know I never really thought about it but I did use Krylon spray on my fin cans and thinking back using a lacquer based paint on that styrene fin can could have caused problems. I may have gotten away with the two I painted because I used two very light coats of Krylon white before I shot the heavier final coats and the thin base coats seemed to dry in an instant. I've used Duplicolor and Testors in the past with good results so I'll probably go that way on future builds with those parts.

Challenger-II was a great suggestion for a project. It's something you don't see everyday since it was only offered from 1980-1985 according to the list at YORF. My personal preference is to build something a little less common and I like the way it looks. I have a couple of other projects to finish up first but I do want to build this one and having most of what I need makes it that much easier.

Thanks again!

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Are the Challenger II decal scans available anywhere?

snaquin
04-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Are the Challenger II decal scans available anywhere?

John sent the Challenger-1 and Challenger-II decals up to YORS

I found them here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/decals.htm

CPMcGraw
05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
...what to do with those fin cans instead of just another carbon copy of the Estes Maniac or Eliminator design?

Although this isn't the most original plan around, I was able to get some interesting performance out of it.

I call it "Hyper Loader"...

G35EM-10......3490'......Dv 18 FPS......60" Tower
H165R-14......4290'......Dv 21 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
H238T-14......4350'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
H220T-14......5300'......Dv 18 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia

Length: 43.1"
Diameter: 2.34" (ST-225 payload, ST-125 main body)
Weight: 15.53 oz

Enjoy!

snaquin
05-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Although this isn't the most original plan around, I was able to get some interesting performance out of it.

I call it "Hyper Loader"...

G35EM-10......3490'......Dv 18 FPS......60" Tower
H165R-14......4290'......Dv 21 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
H238T-14......4350'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
H220T-14......5300'......Dv 18 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia

Length: 43.1"
Diameter: 2.34" (ST-225 payload, ST-125 main body)
Weight: 15.53 oz

Enjoy!

Very cool Craig! You used the big 10.3" "Fat-Ogive" cone from Semroc and the new BR-125-225 :D

Not a Centuri Hustler and not an EnerJet 1340/20 either but definably EnerJet-Ish because of the fin can. I like this one! I'm surprised with the large cone and transition that the dry weight still comes in under a pound.

I've only used the RockSim subassembly feature once or twice and it's been a while. Can I add the molded plastic launch lug for that fin can into your subassembly or do I have to create an entire new subassembly?

CPMcGraw
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Very cool Craig! You used the big 10.3" "Fat-Ogive" cone from Semroc and the new BR-125-225 :D

Not a Centuri Hustler and not an EnerJet 1340/20 either but definably EnerJet-Ish because of the fin can. I like this one! I'm surprised with the large cone and transition that the dry weight still comes in under a pound.

I've only used the RockSim subassembly feature once or twice and it's been a while. Can I add the molded plastic launch lug for that fin can into your subassembly or do I have to create an entire new subassembly?

Thanks, Steve...

You only need to add the launch lug component, specify the material as poly PS, and save the subassembly locally on your computer. Then you can call it up at any time, as RS saves it into a folder which you specify for subassemblies.

I knew it had a Centuri-ish look about it. Maybe that's why it popped into my mind so quickly...:rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
05-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I named this one as a sequel to the Estes Challenger II. It may be a little more useful with the payload section...

Length: 35.875"
Diameter: 1.34" (ST-13 / BT-56)
Weight: 5.08 oz

C11-0 / C11-5.......700'......Dv 23 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
C11-0 / D12-7......1130'......Dv 20 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
D12-0 / D12-7......1500'......Dv 10 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
C11-0 / E9-8.......1639'......Dv 38 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
D12-0 / E9-8.......1973'......Dv 24 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
E9-0 / E9-8........2336'......Dv 10 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Borrows a few ideas from the EIRP Starship Excalibur to keep it from being bland and ho-hum...

Imagine those bulkheads as being 1.5" long BC-5 ogive nose cones, cut down and shaped to conform to the ST-13 tube. Also, those ST-5 tubes are cut down their lengths to be glued up against the ST-13 tube...

Length: 23.3"
Weight: 3.47 oz

C11-5.......500'......Dv 5 FPS.......36" rod 3/16" dia
D12-7......1170'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
E9-8.......1900'......Dv 16 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw
05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
The GoonerJet 1340!

Why build that same tired, stale, albiet stylish and sophisticated, EnerJet clone, when you can "Get Goony" with this classic plastic fin unit? Go play "chop-chop" with that body tube and get started!

Length: 13.6"
Diameter: 1.34"
Weight: 2.62 oz (includes 0.5 oz ballast)

B6-4......265'......Dv 18 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia
C6-5......740'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" rod 3/16" dia

Enjoy!

tbzep
05-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I named this one as a sequel to the Estes Challenger II. It may be a little more useful with the payload section...

I take busted up Generic E2X rockets from the school launches and make two stagers out of them to use for demo flights the next year. I have always intended on painting them up and calling them Challenger III's to pay homage to my first purchased rocket, but I never do. Since we almost always lose the sustainer, I just leave the bodies painted as the kids had them when they were single stage rockets.

I'd post some pics from the last few years, but I don't have signed waivers from school. These days, I'd get fired and sued for every rocket penny I have just for posting a picture of a kid having fun on rocket day. :mad:

snaquin
05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Borrows a few ideas from the EIRP Starship Excalibur to keep it from being bland and ho-hum...

Imagine those bulkheads as being 1.5" long BC-5 ogive nose cones, cut down and shaped to conform to the ST-13 tube. Also, those ST-5 tubes are cut down their lengths to be glued up against the ST-13 tube...

Length: 23.3"
Weight: 3.47 oz

C11-5.......500'......Dv 5 FPS.......36" rod 3/16" dia
D12-7......1170'......Dv 14 FPS......36" rod 3/16" dia
E9-8.......1900'......Dv 16 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia

Enjoy!

Now that's creative. Very cool Craig! :)

I saved your Challenger III 2-stage file as well. You have a 2.5" bulkhead thickness/length with about 1.5" exposed in the design file. Would a Semroc BC-514 or BC-517 work or is that what you had in mind? Those are 1.4 and 1.7" exposed length plus whatever the shoulders are.

I was going to add the molded launch lug into the fin can subassembly later tonight and I noticed you already did that ..... thanks! Now I can save that subassembly with my other design files. I hate having to move all those individual components around.

snaquin
05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
The GoonerJet 1340!

Why build that same tired, stale, albiet stylish and sophisticated, EnerJet clone, when you can "Get Goony" with this classic plastic fin unit? Go play "chop-chop" with that body tube and get started!

Length: 13.6"
Diameter: 1.34"
Weight: 2.62 oz (includes 0.5 oz ballast)

B6-4......265'......Dv 18 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia
C6-5......740'......Dv 8 FPS.......36" rod 3/16" dia

Enjoy!

Shame on you ..... ;)

I guess the urge to "Get Goony" with the 1340 was just too much to resist :p

snaquin
05-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I take busted up Generic E2X rockets from the school launches and make two stagers out of them to use for demo flights the next year. I have always intended on painting them up and calling them Challenger III's to pay homage to my first purchased rocket, but I never do. Since we almost always lose the sustainer, I just leave the bodies painted as the kids had them when they were single stage rockets.

I'd post some pics from the last few years, but I don't have signed waivers from school. These days, I'd get fired and sued for every rocket penny I have just for posting a picture of a kid having fun on rocket day. :mad:

That's a good idea to recycle the E2X rockets into two stagers. I'll bet the pics are interesting.

I wonder if anyone has tried any of the new Quest T-Minus 5 RTF kits. Those are pretty inexpensive .....

CPMcGraw
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Now that's creative. Very cool Craig! :)

I saved your Challenger III 2-stage file as well. You have a 2.5" bulkhead thickness/length with about 1.5" exposed in the design file. Would a Semroc BC-514 or BC-517 work or is that what you had in mind? Those are 1.4 and 1.7" exposed length plus whatever the shoulders are.

Any Series-5 ogive nose cone that doesn't extend up to the edge of the tube would be fine. I wasn't looking at the spec sheets when I added those in, and that shoulder is obviously too long for any of them. You could even use a longer one at the top and a shorter one at the bottom (or the reverse)...

I was going to add the molded launch lug into the fin can subassembly later tonight and I noticed you already did that ..... thanks! Now I can save that subassembly with my other design files. I hate having to move all those individual components around.

Each time you use that subassembly, though, it will throw the lug out-of-sync with the shroud, because RS doesn't allow you to link the lug to the shroud. Dumb and illogical. You can only link it to an outside tube. Just be aware.

CPMcGraw
05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Shame on you ..... ;)

I guess the urge to "Get Goony" with the 1340 was just too much to resist :p

Dirty job, but someone had to do it first...:D

CPMcGraw
05-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I take busted up Generic E2X rockets from the school launches and make two stagers out of them to use for demo flights the next year. I have always intended on painting them up and calling them Challenger III's to pay homage to my first purchased rocket, but I never do.

With a full 18" length of BT-50 on the sustainer, and a short 1.5" length at the top of the booster, you've built yourself a clone of the Estes Scorpion...

How well do your 2-stagers fly?

tbzep
05-03-2006, 07:48 AM
With a full 18" length of BT-50 on the sustainer, and a short 1.5" length at the top of the booster, you've built yourself a clone of the Estes Scorpion...

Yep. That's why I didn't fool with testing for stability. I just looked at the Scorpion dimensions and knew the rockets were long enough to be stable.

The crash bashes fly great. I use streamer recovery and I've still only gotten one back in the four or five years I've been using them. It doesn't cost me anything to lose them, and it takes minimal effort to slap one together. I've been useing the same booster stage every year. I use C6-0 to C6-7 and don't expect them back. I just want the kids to see some high altitude flying. Our playground is small, so my demo flights are heavy, fat, noisy rockets to keep them in the recovery area.

snaquin
05-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Each time you use that subassembly, though, it will throw the lug out-of-sync with the shroud, because RS doesn't allow you to link the lug to the shroud. Dumb and illogical. You can only link it to an outside tube. Just be aware.

I noticed this. I thought I was doing something wrong :confused:

Subassembly is a great feature but if all of the subassembly components can't be linked to each other to form an "independent subassembly", it sort of defeats the purpose to have to copy and paste or move one of the components around. Just another RS quirk ..... :rolleyes:

Still better than moving ALL of the components in every design file :)

CPMcGraw
05-03-2006, 07:37 PM
I know I've used a similar design before, but I think it was a smaller model. I cannot remember which one...:confused:

This one uses that nose cone from the Estes Cyclone and the Centuri Taurus and Space Shuttle.

D12-5......800'......Dv 14 FPS......48" rod 3/16" dia
E9-6......1340'......Dv 9 FPS.......60" tower

Length: 29.6"
Weight: 4.61 oz

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw
05-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Here's an improved drawing for the EnerJet fin can, with everything in-sync. I added a 3.75" length of ST-13 as a reference tube in the subassembly. The easiest way to use this is to simply lengthen the reference tube as needed. All of the components take their position from the base of this tube.

Enjoy!

snaquin
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Here's an improved drawing for the EnerJet fin can, with everything in-sync. I added a 3.75" length of ST-13 as a reference tube in the subassembly. The easiest way to use this is to simply lengthen the reference tube as needed. All of the components take their position from the base of this tube.

Enjoy!

:D A brilliant solution for simulating the EnerJet fin can Craig! :D

That's a much needed work around to simplifying building this part into the design files.

Thanks for sharing!

Green Dragon
05-04-2006, 03:33 PM

I belive the yellow cones are still included in the PNC-56 cone paks, at least they were in the last one I got a year or so back.

Then if someone wanted a true ' no painting' clone - Semroc tubes are white , get a black fin can , and have at it .

~ AL

( unopened Longshot kit sitting here next to me, awaiting it's sacrafice to make a Challenger II, plus likely an Enerjet 1340 - I already have a Maniac in non-stock paint, just don;t try it on a G200 ... :D

Green Dragon
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Unless I;m mistaken, the Estes Mongoose is an exact copy of the Scorpion as well.

Been wanting to do a Scorpion clone for years, as a few friends had em in the day ( never had one myself) - but the decals are not posted, anyone have those * beg * :-)

~ AL

(Please sned em to Scott and Phred, too, if someone has em :-)

John Brohm
05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Unless I;m mistaken, the Estes Mongoose is an exact copy of the Scorpion as well.

Been wanting to do a Scorpion clone for years, as a few friends had em in the day ( never had one myself) - but the decals are not posted, anyone have those * beg * :-)

~ AL

Hey Al;

I dug through the archives here, and it does appear I have a set of Scorpion decals. Not in the greatest of shape because of their age, but workable. I'll get them scanned and off to Scott; he'll take it from there.

Concerning the Scorpion vs. Mongoose - almost identical. The difference is mainly in the length of the BT-50 used in the booster. The Scorpion booster has a BT-50AE (1.5"); the Mongoose booster has a BT-50 that's 1.875" (1-7/8") long. As for the parts that matter (the nose and the fin cans), yep, they are identical: the nose is a PNC-50YR and the fin can is the same as the Generic E2X - it's characterized by the slight wedge-shape airfoil in the fins, unlike the Challenger I fin can, whose fins have a slight diamond profile.

Vanel
05-04-2006, 10:03 PM

~ AL

I just bought a Mongoose, intending to use the fin cans and nose to clone a Scorpion. The decals were what was holding me back. I can't print white :(

* Gets down on knees beside Al and begs *

Green Dragon
05-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I just bought a Mongoose, intending to use the fin cans and nose to clone a Scorpion. The decals were what was holding me back. I can't print white :(

* Gets down on knees beside Al and begs *

Bill,

Do you have the decals / artwork ? ( but just can't print white ?)

Maybe we could beg more and someone could print a few :-)

~ AL

ps: funny to see your post, as I mistakenly emailed Bill E about the Centuri Thunderbird clone we'd discussed before ( that you posted on EMRR), my swiss-cheese brain thought Bill E had posted it, lol ... wanted to ask about the Semroc decals that you wound up not using, went to use mine the other night and theyp;re on white paper, not good over the orange ( Carl notified and looking into it, Semroc = good people :-)

Vanel
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Bill,

Unfortunately, no. All I have is one sad old booster that has followed me across 3 states to remind me of my Scorpion.

~ AL

I'm all for that - would love to have another Scorpion around; it was a sharp looking rocket!

CPMcGraw
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
All I have is one sad old booster that has followed me across 3 states to remind me of my Scorpion...

I'm all for that - would love to have another Scorpion around; it was a sharp looking rocket!

Did the Scorpion have waterslide decals, or a large body wrap?

Green Dragon
05-05-2006, 08:46 PM

From what I remember the Scorpion had waterslide decals, and had to be painted red and black .

I did ,however, always think it had the Challenger 1 fin cans, but it was mentioned they were,in fact, the 'newer' style.

can someone check an original to verify this ?

~ AL

tbzep
05-05-2006, 08:59 PM
From what I remember the Scorpion had waterslide decals, and had to be painted red and black .

I did ,however, always think it had the Challenger 1 fin cans, but it was mentioned they were,in fact, the 'newer' style.

~ AL

I don't have a Scorpion, so I'm just doing some deductive reasoning. The Scorpion came out in 1980. The Challenger I, Kadet, and Star Wars Proton Torpedo were all in production that year. I have a feeling it used the older Challenger/Kadet/Proton Torpedo can.

Vanel
05-05-2006, 11:59 PM

The decals were waterslide - can still see them on my booster :)

John Brohm
05-06-2006, 08:37 PM

~ AL

Hi guys;

I have a couple of Scorpions here, and I can verify that the decals are waterslide, and the fin can is the same type as the Generic E2X/Athena/Mongoos/et al. The Challenger I fin can was only used in a handful of kits.

John Brohm
05-06-2006, 09:03 PM

~ AL

Here's a few photos that might help:

John Brohm
05-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Bill,

~ AL

I've scanned the Scorpion decal and have sent it off to Scott (Scott - it's on the FTP site). Maybe Scott can have this posted soon.

One thing to note - the white areas of the decal are very hard to make out in the scan. Hopefully Phred or others can turn this into a workable decal.

Green Dragon
05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I've scanned the Scorpion decal and have sent it off to Scott (Scott - it's on the FTP site). Maybe Scott can have this posted soon.

One thing to note - the white areas of the decal are very hard to make out in the scan. Hopefully Phred or others can turn this into a workable decal.

Hope so :)

Phred ??

~ AL

CPMcGraw
05-08-2006, 12:14 AM

John,

Did you happen to scan the instruction sheet for the Scorpion? This is one of those remaining plan sets that still haven't been posted anywhere...

John Brohm
05-08-2006, 05:31 AM
John,

Did you happen to scan the instruction sheet for the Scorpion? This is one of those remaining plan sets that still haven't been posted anywhere...

Hi Craig;

Sorry; I don't seem to have the instructions, just the decal sheet. If one of my Scorpion kits ever gets opened, I'll be happy to scan the rest of the material for YORP.

Ltvscout
05-08-2006, 08:46 AM

I see it there. Could you send me a jpg version of this as well?

John Brohm
05-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I see it there. Could you send me a jpg version of this as well?

Scott;

Will do, just as soon as I get home. I have a TIFF as well if you'd like this.

Ltvscout
05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Scott;

Will do, just as soon as I get home. I have a TIFF as well if you'd like this.
Sure, that would be great. Thanks.

JRThro
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi guys;

I have a couple of Scorpions here, and I can verify that the decals are waterslide, and the fin can is the same type as the Generic E2X/Athena/Mongoos/et al. The Challenger I fin can was only used in a handful of kits.
Is that the same fin can as the one that's used in the Estes No. 2 Sky Writer as well? It looks really similar on the Scorpion face card.

John Brohm
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Is that the same fin can as the one that's used in the Estes No. 2 Sky Writer as well? It looks really similar on the Scorpion face card.

Yep, indeed it is.

JRThro
05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Yep, indeed it is.
Cool, I have a spare one of those lying around from a damaged No. 2 Sky Writer that I cut it off of earlier this year.

Meatball 1
06-03-2006, 11:59 PM
I was just replying to a post on the subject of the Scorpion plans and decals on TRF...

I can scan my Scorpion plans for Scott... perhaps even my header card if I still have it (I think I know where it is). I'm looking forward to seeing the decal scan once it's posted. The Scorpion is one of my old favorites; I flew it for many years until I lost my upperstage a couple years ago.

Rocketking
06-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I have sent Scott the instructions & header card scans. I gave away the portions of decals I had in the past month or so. I could be an indian giver & ask for them back if no one has a full sheet available.

Let me know if you hit on other difficulties with these requests. You can PM me here or on TRF.

Glen Avalear
NAR 26298 L1

Meatball 1
06-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Glen Avalear, is that you? Do you remember back in the early '90's sending a couple of Aerobee 350 drawings (and a 170) and stuff to Bob Biedron for me, and then another to me directly? Long time it seems.

When I did my NARTS Aerobee 350 update in 2002, you were on my list of acknowledgments. And earlier this year I took a private trip to Garber and measured a real Aerobee 350, so be expecting the full updated scale data treatment in Sport Rocketry in the next year or so. BTW, the data you sent was of immense help.

Thanks again!