PDA

View Full Version : Jay's "Tau Zero"

Tau Zero
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
It seems like the server for Ye Olde Rocket Forum (YORF) has been busy a *lot* lately, so late Sunday night, I actually picked up a project which had lain fallow for a year.

Last year, I sketched out the fin patterns for my original "Tau Zero" design onto graph paper, and "guesstimated" the width of the inner fins. I glued the outer fins to the ring fin, and didn't run into any problems. But gluing the the inner fins onto the main body tube, I suddenly discovered that 1/2 an inch is a *long* ways from 0.4," AND THE RING FIN *DIDN'T FIT!*

So a couple of weeks ago, I finally figured out how to cut the inner fins down (changing the front and back angle, as well as the width), so Sunday I marked, cut, and then sanded accordingly.

I'm always intrigued to see where rocketeers take pictures of their rockets, so I figured the glass-topped table on my back patio would add a new and different background texture. (In the fourth picture, my 8 year old daughter's basketball seems to approve.)

Bill E. and John Thro should also be glad to see that I'm *finally* making progress on this design. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Coo-ell. When do we see the flight report? :D

James Pierson
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Very nice design Jay, and also where is that Rocksim file? :rolleyes:

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Coo-ell. When do we see the flight report? :D(chuckling) After it's glued and painted, silly! :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I just dryfit the parts together for the pics. Then I shot them with the first coat of primer. :eek: (I know, I started on this one way back in March of last year, *before* I settled on the "'Fill N' Finish' first, then sand, *then* apply primer" method I've been using lately.)

So at least I'm actually *building* something, Bill. ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Very nice design Jay, and also where is that Rocksim file? :rolleyes:It's um, er, (clears throat) ...Classified. :eek: :confused:

In other words, I could *tell* you... ;) :eek:

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-02-2006, 10:47 PM
(chuckling) After it's glued and painted, silly! :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I just dryfit the parts together for the pics. Then I shot them with the first coat of primer. :eek: (I know, I started on this one way back in March of last year, *before* I settled on the "'Fill N' Finish' first, then sand, *then* apply primer" method I've been using lately.)

Cheers,

--Jay

Yeah, that's a step in the right direction. :rolleyes:

JRThro
05-03-2006, 09:00 AM

Cheers,

--JayWhich is more than I've been doing lately...

All I've done in the last few months is a 175% upscale of the Quest Totally Tubular that I put together from 35 mm body tubes from 2 or 3 Quest kits like the Big Rage and ... um, the Icarus, I think. No finishing required, since the tubes are already blue, black, and... white?

DeanHFox
05-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Way cool design, Jay. Was the name and design inspired by the Poul Anderson novel? Always liked that book (although current cosmological theory says, "No way the universe will contract and be reborn"). :)

Tau Zero
05-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Way cool design, Jay. Was the name and design inspired by the Poul Anderson novel? The design came out of my twisted little noggin, but yes, the name is indeed from that very book. (My original working name for this rocket was "Biff Pau" -- most likely a reference to the 1960's "Batman" TV show starring Adam West. :eek: )

I even consulted a friend of mine who's an astrophysicist at the nearby college, and he said, "Yes, the closer you get to lightspeed, the value for 'Tau' in the equations gets closer to zero." IIRC, he also said that when Tau equals zero, you've reached the speed of light. And then he muttered something to the effect of "then all the rules change," or somesuch astrophysical mysticism. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Always liked that book (although current cosmological theory says, "No way the universe will contract and be reborn"). :)Don't worry. Wait a few years, and another (clarifying? opposing?) theory will come along. They always do. :p

Cheers,

--Jay

DeanHFox
05-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Don't worry. Wait a few years, and another (clarifying? opposing?) theory will come along. They always do. :p

If that ain't the truth. As a layman, I could barely grasp string theory...then along came superstring theory...and now the rage is "M" theory (really fascinating, but even the layman explanations are getting so technical they're hard to follow!). What's cool about "M" theory is that (finally) there is math to support where the energy came from to create the Big Bang in the first place...and how our universe seems to exhibit both quantum effects at the micro level and chaos effects in the macro level. Or, so it does if I'm reading the articles correctly. :D

I always thought a Bussard ramjet as described in Tau Zero (and again later in Niven's "A World Out of Time") would make a cool rocket design...and you've gone and done it! Booyah! :)

JRThro
05-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I always thought a Bussard ramjet as described in Tau Zero (and again later in Niven's "A World Out of Time") would make a cool rocket design...and you've gone and done it! Booyah! :)
Yeah, Larry Niven used Bussard ramjets all over the place in his stories. In fact, aren't the rim motors on the Ringworld Bussard ramjets? Or am I totally misremembering that?

Nuke Rocketeer
05-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Niven seems to have had an obsession with Bussard ramjets in his early novels, not that I can blame him. When the concept first came out, it seemed to provide a realistic method of interstellar travel for the near future. Later, as more detailed analysis of the theoritical performance came out, his interest waned. He is in a tie for first as my favorite science fiction author with Heinlein and Poul Anderson.

Joe W

EchoVictor
05-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Jay,

sweet design! Is that a custom turned nose cone, or a BMS special?

Later,
EV

DeanHFox
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
... He is in a tie for first as my favorite science fiction author with Heinlein and Poul Anderson.

Joe W

Don't forget one of "our boys"...G. Harry Stine, aka "Lee Correy", the founder of the N.A.R. His "Starship Through Space" remains my favorite hard SF novel of all time, and "Rocket Man" isn't shabby, either.

Someone in WOOSH built a Fafnir (one of GHS's designs), I believe...and I've got a USS Latona (another GHS design) on the drawing board...a classic "50's cigar shape". :)

Seriously, if you've never checked out either story (or any of GHS's works)...I highly recommend them. In fact, in a cool bit of synchronicity, GHS and his wife were friends with Bob & Ginny Heinlein...they dedicated books to each other (Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is dedicated to GHS & his wife, GHS's "Starship Through Space" is dedicated to the Heinleins). :)

(GHS also wrote for many of the pulp mags of his day...read anything you can of his...the science is always accurate --- or as accurate as they knew about in the 50's and 60's) ;)

Tau Zero
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Sweet design! Is that a custom turned nose cone, or a BMS special?Dear Eric,

Thanks, yes, and no. :eek: ;)

I tried to piece two Semroc parts together: a BC-1052 nose cone, and a BR-710 reducer (transition). Unfortunately, I didn't get them perfectly aligned (the tip of the nose cone makes a 1/2" circle when you rotate the cone at the base), so I shot off an "Emergency!" e-mail to Carl McLawhorn. He was kind enough to turn me a couple of them. :cool:

The first picture is a blurry close-up, but you can still see the seam where I glued the two pieces together.

Wondering about the off-center toothpick? After applying wood hardener, I stick my balsa nose cones into the styrofoam block I call my "Nose Cone Forest," in picture two.

Shot number three shows how the wood hardener expands the balsa grain, as well as any flaws in the balsa, which can show through even a coat of primer. I'll need to putty the holes, sand them, and hit the cone with more primer before painting.

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I have to admit, the main body tube and inner fins assembly in the first picture looks like... *not* a whole lot. But I discovered with this particular design that when you take a bunch of little "differently" shaped sections, they really do contribute to a very different "overall look."

Picture two shows the inner fins masked for painting. The outer edges will be glued to the inside of the outer ring fin, so I didn't want paint *there!* :eek: :o I left a gap of 1/16 to 1/8 inches "out beyond the fin" on the body tubes. I'll sand down the edge of the paint away from the fins, and then re-mask directly on the fins for a different body tube color.

The third shot shows the inner fins painted, while the fourth picture is the ring fin and outer balsa fins.

CPMcGraw
05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
...I shot off an "Emergency!" e-mail to Carl McLawhorn. He was kind enough to turn me a couple of them. :cool:

Is Carl going to be adding this cone to his parts list?

Tau Zero
05-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Is Carl going to be adding this cone to his parts list?I've been thinking I need to suggest that he do just that. :o

At NARCON, he said, "I was going through my nose cone designs, and I found one marked BC-763CG, and went, 'Oh, I remember that one.'"

I replied, "Oh, yeah, 'CG.' -- 'Custom Goemmer.'" ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I've been thinking I need to suggest that he do just that. :o

At NARCON, he said, "I was going through my nose cone designs, and I found one marked BC-763CG, and went, 'Oh, I remember that one.'"

I replied, "Oh, yeah, 'CG.' -- 'Custom Goemmer.'" ;) :D :cool:

Is that pronounced "Gamer"? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Tau Zero
05-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Is that pronounced "Gamer"? :eek: :rolleyes:Only if you pronounce your last name "Gable"... and your first name isn't "Clark." :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :D :p

Carl@Semroc
05-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Is Carl going to be adding this cone to his parts list?
I don't have a "release" from the designer! ;)

Ltvscout
05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Someone in WOOSH built a Fafnir (one of GHS's designs), I believe...and I've got a USS Latona (another GHS design) on the drawing board...a classic "50's cigar shape". :)
That was probably either Pavel Pinkas, Mark Smeiska or Mike Vande Bunt.

Nuke Rocketeer
05-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't forget one of "our boys"...G. Harry Stine, aka "Lee Correy", the founder of the N.A.R. His "Starship Through Space" remains my favorite hard SF novel of all time, and "Rocket Man" isn't shabby, either.

Seriously, if you've never checked out either story (or any of GHS's works)...I highly recommend them. In fact, in a cool bit of synchronicity, GHS and his wife were friends with Bob & Ginny Heinlein...they dedicated books to each other (Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is dedicated to GHS & his wife, GHS's "Starship Through Space" is dedicated to the Heinleins). :)

(GHS also wrote for many of the pulp mags of his day...read anything you can of his...the science is always accurate --- or as accurate as they knew about in the 50's and 60's) ;)

I have several of Stine's books, but somehow (for me) his books never hit a chord with me. IMHO, he needed to work on his characterization and dialogue a little more. It always seemed a little stiff.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
That was probably either Pavel Pinkas, Mark Smeiska or Mike Vande Bunt.

I always thought that was Kevin.

DeanHFox
05-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Has anybody ever done (a) the Rocksim for the Fafnir, or (b) an upscale that you're aware of? The Fafnir picture I saw seemed about the size of an Alpha or a Constellation...and the Latona has so much fin area, it's almost a BG. ;)

DeanHFox
05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I have several of Stine's books, but somehow (for me) his books never hit a chord with me. IMHO, he needed to work on his characterization and dialogue a little more. It always seemed a little stiff.

I'd agree with that assessment for some of his work --- the Metalaw and Star Driver books come to mind. I always thought his juveniles (i.e. Starship and Rocketman) were pretty well fleshed out characterizations (although I'm pretty sure I saw an article somewhere that mentioned that R.A.H. had assisted him with "notes" on both manuscripts, which may account for them being a little more polished than some of his other work).

Nevertheless -- they were fun. I enjoyed the concept of "Shuttle Down"...after all, how many writers would tackle a Shuttle TAL? :)

Tau Zero
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I used Squadron Putty to fill the imperfections in the "Tau Zero" nose cone. I discovered that you want to squish it down so that it matches the profile ("curve" or "outline") of whatever it is you're filling. Otherwise, you'll have to sand down a *ton* of putty, which may not turn out so well. :mad:

In the first picture, the putty has been applied, but in the second one, you can see how much *extra* sanding I had to do to get it down to the desired level. :mad: Yep, I managed to sand the surrounding wood filler right off, and I should have stopped to re-fill it right there. :rolleyes: :mad: :o

Picture three shows the nose cone after a coat of primer, but the area where I shot primer over bare wood is still rough. Looks like I'll have to fill and then prime again before hitting the cone with paint. (heavy sigh)

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
When I first designed my "Tau Zero," I intended for the color scheme to have "Centuri" orange (i.e., Krylon "Pumpkin Orange") fins, with the rest of the rocket painted silver. However, after noticing how the Testors metallic silver paint made all of the finishing imperfections on my Estes Wolverine 1.36X BT-55 upscale "pop out," I decided to forgo (sp.?) silver on this bird.

I masked the fins as described in a previous article in this thread, and here's how they turned out, in the first two pictures below. I sanded the down the edge of the paint where the masking met the body tube with 320 grit, and I discovered that you want to use a *small* piece of sandpaper, instead of the whole sheet. :o That way, you can avoid noticeable "dings" in your newly finished paint job. (Notice the lower left fin in the first picture. :eek: )

The final picture in this series happened when I picked up my camera to move it, and accidentally had the "business end" pointed my direction. So that shot is for Paul Kinzer, who was concerned that people didn't see enough of me.

I call it "Unintentional Self Portrait #1." :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-07-2006, 08:11 PM
The final picture in this series happened when I picked up my camera to move it, and accidentally had the "business end" pointed my direction. So that shot is for Paul Kinzer, who was concerned that people didn't see enough of me.

I call it "Unintentional Self Portrait #1." :rolleyes: ;) :D

We called these the "Mom, turn the camera around" shots. Lots of pics of mom's nostril over the years. :eek:

Tau Zero
05-07-2006, 09:34 PM
I peeled the masking tape off the fins tonight, and here's the result in the first two shots below. The Krylon (medium) Smoke Gray definitely makes the Krylon Pumpkin Orange "pop," but almost too much. It's a little gaudy, so on any future versions, I think I'd use Krylon (light) Classic Gray instead.

For this go-around, I'll use the Classic Gray for the "transition/reducer" part of the nose cone, and Smoke Gray on the rest. Future "revised editions" will probably use White and Classic Gray instead.

Shots three and four are the original images from RockSim (over a year ago :o ).

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I peeled the masking tape off the fins tonight, and here's the result in the first two shots below.

Now for the acid test, Jay...

Give us some flight shots and a report on how close RS came to predicting the flight profile.

Looks good!

JRThro
05-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Only if you pronounce your last name "Gable"... and your first name isn't "Clark." :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :D :p
Frankly, Jay, I don't give a...
;)

Tau Zero
05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Frankly, Jay, I don't give a...
;)A SCARLET LETTER? :eek: ;) :D :p

--Jay

P.S. The phrase "Gone with the Wind" *doesn't* have a very positive connotation for model rocketry, does it? :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
05-08-2006, 09:28 PM

Give us some flight shots and a report on how close RS came to predicting the flight profile. (gnawing on fingernails) Yeah, I'll have to do that. I think I'll use a 10" nylon chute for the first few flights. RS says it weighs 0.8 oz. I'll have to find a scale and see how much the paint and glue contribute to the overall weight.

Looks good! Thanks! ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

PaulK
05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I peeled the masking tape off the fins tonight, and here's the result in the first two shots below. The Krylon (medium) Smoke Gray definitely makes the Krylon Pumpkin Orange "pop," but almost too much. It's a little gaudy, so on any future versions, I think I'd use Krylon (light) Classic Gray instead...
The orange/gray combo looks great, I wouldn't change a thing. Ok, maybe I could do without that picture of your arm :p

-Paul

JRThro
05-09-2006, 08:32 AM
(gnawing on fingernails) Yeah, I'll have to do that. I think I'll use a 10" nylon chute for the first few flights. RS says it weighs 0.8 oz. I'll have to find a scale and see how much the paint and glue contribute to the overall weight.
And then to follow up on and memorialize your flights, a review on EMRR would be just wonderful.

Tau Zero
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
The orange/gray combo looks great, I wouldn't change a thing.The flash makes the gray appear lighter than it actually is.

Ok, maybe I could do without that picture of your arm"Pthttt" back atcha. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

And then to follow up on and memorialize your flights, a review on EMRR would be just wonderful.Man, you guys don't ask very much, do ya? :mad: ;)

I mean, *what* are you gonna want *next?*

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=940 :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Man, you guys don't ask very much, do ya? :mad: ;)

I mean, *what* are you gonna want *next?*

http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=940 :cool:

A full kit from Carl?

Carl@Semroc
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
A full kit from Carl?Not exactly...yet. (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=957)

CPMcGraw
05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Not exactly...yet. (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=957)

Hey, Carl!

Jay did ask...

BTW, Thanks for producing Jay's cone, and for adding those 853's earlier. I've got several plans calling for that one, now, and I'm putting together an order for a few.

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Not exactly...yet. (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=957)

Wow. That's cool. Jay has a legacy now. :cool:

Tau Zero
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Jay did ask...Yes, but it was technically a *rhetorical* question. :rolleyes: :p

Besides, I wasn't asking Carl. (THICK LOWER CLASS BRITISH ACCENT) "It was *you* lot, awright?" :mad: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay :eek:

Tau Zero
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Wow. That's cool. Jay has a legacy now. :cool:(holding head in hands) Oh, *great.* Now I have to figure out what to do with it. :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Not exactly...yet. (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=957)To quote what I said when I heard my first "J" motor at NSL 2001 in Rush Valley, Utah...

"Oh. My. GOD!" :eek:

I'm speechless.

Carl@Semroc
05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
To quote what I said when I heard my first "J" motor at NSL 2001 in Rush Valley, Utah...

I'm speechless.Now Jay has to do the instructions!!! Believe me, I did the EASY part.

Tau Zero
05-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Now Jay has to do the instructions!!! Believe me, I did the EASY part.(deep breath) I can do that. In fact, they'll probably begin:

"BEFORE YOU START

The Semroc [*Yeah, baby!*] "Tau Zero" isn't a difficult rocket to build, but it will require painting *as you go along,* rather than waiting until after you've completely assembled it."

*Thank you,* Carl! I appreciate the chance! :D

Ecstatic, :cool:

--Jay

P.S. Carl, have I ever admitted that the whole reason I bought RockSim was so I could (clears throat self-consciously) collaborate with you? :o

P.P.S. And *yes,* I *did* vote for it (only once!) on the URL listed earlier? Wouldn't *you* do it, if you were me? :D

ghrocketman
05-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I find squadron putty to be a horrible choice for filler when working with balsa....much harder to sand/shape than Elmer's filler....I used to use it but it was awful. Works great as a PLASTIC filler as it was intended though.

JRThro
05-09-2006, 11:43 PM
To quote what I said when I heard my first "J" motor at NSL 2001 in Rush Valley, Utah...

I'm speechless.
Now where's that EMRR review??
:rolleyes: ;) :) :eek:

That's fantastic, Jay.

JRThro
05-09-2006, 11:45 PM
(deep breath) I can do that. In fact, they'll probably begin:

"BEFORE YOU START

The Semroc [*Yeah, baby!*] "Tau Zero" isn't a difficult rocket to build, but it will require painting *as you go along,* rather than waiting until after you've completely assembled it."

*Thank you,* Carl! I appreciate the chance! :D

Ecstatic, :cool:

--Jay

You'd better be very explicit about how and when to paint which piece, or I'll screw it up.

Or... I *would* screw it up if I ever painted anything.
;) :rolleyes: :eek:

Tau Zero
05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
I *would* screw it up if I ever painted anything.At NSL 2002, Joel Corwith (Joel.phx on rec.models.rockets) told me, "Only pretty rockets crash." :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
(holding head in hands) Oh, *great.* Now I have to figure out what to do with it. :rolleyes:

I'm in for two when the time comes. One a low number keeper and the other a builder for review.

PaulK
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
..."BEFORE YOU START
The Semroc [*Yeah, baby!*] "Tau Zero" isn't a difficult rocket to build, but it will require painting *as you go along,* rather than waiting until after you've completely assembled it."...
That is the method I used to build the Semroc Hydra VII, even though the instructions don't call for it. It is the only way to get a decent paint job on the inner fins & engine tubes for designs like this. Good call.

-Paul

Tau Zero
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Now where's that EMRR review?? :rolleyes: Aren't you paying attention? Carl says I have to write the instructions! :rolleyes: ;)

That's fantastic, Jay.I agree. Too cool! I noticed even the laser-cut fin set is already available from Semroc. :eek: :cool:

(But on my prototypes, I've had the grain running lengthwise on the inside fins, like on the Estes Star Rider. Although cutting fins with a laser instead of an X-Acto knife would most likely decrease the chances of hacking the "anti-leading" corner off, like I did in the first place. :eek: )

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm in for two when the time comes. One a low number keeper and the other a builder for review.*Mumble, mumble* Got some parts in a box *cough, wheeze* I've been meaning to *hack, choke* send you for some time *sneeze*.

No, I'm fine, really.

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-25-2006, 12:03 AM
I noticed even the laser-cut fin set is already available from Semroc.When I heft my Tau Zero, it seems *very* light... almost *too* light for a parachute. RockSim 8 says this design only weighs 0.8 oz (compared to the Semroc Javelin, at 0.6 oz.).

I'm thinking about switching over to streamer recovery, just 'cause it's so stinkin' light.

Okay, tonight I took care of some post-NARCON business (mostly involving photos). Next up, I have to decal and clearcoat my Sirius Rocketry 18mm "Interrogator," as well as throw together a short article for my writing group's newsletter.

And finish the "Interrogator" reviews. (Big evil grin, followed by maniacal laughter)

*Then* I can get back to this Tau Zero thread. :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Minor web page revamp (for good reason, I think) ;) :D :cool: :

http://home.earthlink.net/~gomero/rocketdesigns.html

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

Revamp? I didn't even know you vamped it the first time. :confused:

CPMcGraw
05-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Jay,

Just wanted to let you know I placed the order for parts to build Prometheus a few minutes ago. I want to build a TZ soon, but I'm trying to get a bunch of in-progress models completed before taking on too many new ones.

How are you looking on your P and TZ models?

JRThro
05-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Minor web page revamp (for good reason, I think) ;) :D :cool: :

Cheers,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"
I can't say that I've ever read "Downbelow Station." C. J. Cherryh, isn't it?

Tau Zero
05-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Revamp? I didn't even know you vamped it the first time. :confused:Yeah, it's not very convincing when I don't have big, dark eyes. :o :rolleyes:

And *black* eyes... well, that's just *not* the same effect. :eek: ;) :D

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
How are you looking on your P and TZ models?Re: the "P": My artist buddy friend is currently working on a computer animation intro (which I did an announcer's voice for) that will "run" before a live action musical locally. I threatened him with $25, but maybe I need to wave the cash in front of his face. :p :D

As I've alluded elsewhere, I need to test-fly my 18mm Sirius Interrogator :cool: (I'm hoping to get that done along about Thursday), and finish the reviews for that, before moving on to the Tau Zero.

That's all I got for now.

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I can't say that I've ever read "Downbelow Station." C. J. Cherryh, isn't it?Yes. I named my website after the novel, but years before I actually read it. Actually, the name is a "punnish" ("punny?") reference to the fact that "my space" is in the basement of my house. ;) :D :p

"Tau Zero," "Downbelow Station." -- Stay tuned for Jay's next "inside" science fiction reference. :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

DeanHFox
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
"Tau Zero," "Downbelow Station." -- Stay tuned for Jay's next "inside" science fiction reference. :eek: --Jay

I'm telling you...if you even MENTION "The Adolescence of P-1", or "Enemy Mine"...ooooo, the next time I see you, I'll give you *such* a pinch! :)

Tau Zero
05-31-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm telling you...if you even MENTION "The Adolescence of P-1", or "Enemy Mine"...ooooo, the next time I see you, I'll give you *such* a pinch! :)(Looking at Dean's .sig) "And it's *powered* by an... (sneaky look)

...OSCILLATING OVERTHRUSTER!" :eek: ;) :D :p :cool:

(Heh, heh, heh.)

--Jay

"Red Lectroids from Planet Ten!"

EchoVictor
05-31-2006, 07:27 PM
"Where are we going?"

"PLANET TEN!!!"

"When we gonna get there?"

"REAL SOON!!!"

Frakking classic! :D

Later,
EV

DeanHFox
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
So long as no one asks me to change my forum handle to "John BigBooty", I'm content to watch the Banzaisms fly... :D

Tau Zero
06-01-2006, 12:27 AM
So long as no one asks me to change my forum handle to "John BigBooty"Or "John SmallBerries." :eek:

"John Parker," maybe. :rolleyes: :D :p

JSP
06-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Big BOOTE' Big BOOTE" !!!

If there's one thing I hate it's to be mistaken for somebody else...

Why is there a watermellon there?

JRThro
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Aren't you paying attention? Carl says I have to write the instructions! :rolleyes: ;)
That probably means it'll be a while till I can buy an actual "Jay Goemmer Signature Tau Zero" from Semroc, huh?

Tweener
06-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Big BOOTE' Big BOOTE" !!!

If there's one thing I hate it's to be mistaken for somebody else...

Why is there a watermellon there?"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

Tau Zero
06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
That probably means it'll be a while till I can buy an actual "Jay Goemmer Signature Tau Zero" from Semroc, huh?(sly look) From Semroc, yes. (laughing maniacally at "inside" joke)

See, I got this box of stuff I've been meaning to send Bill, and last night he ordered parts for the Tau Zero, and... (giggling senselessly)

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Give us some flight shots and a report on how close RS came to predicting the flight profile.

Looks good!

Here's a cross-reference to my "Tau Zero's" maiden flight over in the "Mission Control" section:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=8227&postcount=10

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-06-2006, 04:47 PM
My Semroc box arrived today, just in time for my vacation, which starts tonight. I plan to spend part of the time building the Tau Zero, hopefully to finish it in time for this weekend's Quark launch.
Man, this thing is going to be tiny. It's going to scream on a B6-4. :cool:

JRThro
06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
My Semroc box arrived today, just in time for my vacation, which starts tonight. I plan to spend part of the time building the Tau Zero, hopefully to finish it in time for this weekend's Quark launch.
Man, this thing is going to be tiny. It's going to scream on a B6-4. :cool:
Don't get me thinking about an upscale before the actual kit even exsits!!
:D

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Don't get me thinking about an upscale before the actual kit even exsits!!

I was thinking about that during the dry-fit. :rolleyes: :cool:

Tau Zero
06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Man, this thing is going to be tiny. It's going to scream on a B6-4. :cool:Better use a streamer instead of a chute. ;) :D And make sure you tape the motor up good, in case your potential "core sample" occurs on much less forgiving ground. :eek:

RockSim figures the altitude at 628 feet. :p

Good luck! :cool:

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Don't get me thinking about an upscale before the actual kit even exists!!I was thinking about that during the dry-fit.Too late. I've already got you both beat. :rolleyes:

The original TZ is 15" long, and weighs 0.8 oz. An SLS 175% Tau Zero would be close to 26" long. :eek:

I've already got the roughed-out RockSim file to prove it. :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Better use a streamer instead of a chute. ;) :D And make sure you tape the motor up good, in case your potential "core sample" occurs on much less forgiving ground. :eek:

RockSim figures the altitude at 628 feet. :p

Good luck! :cool:

--Jay

When do we get to see the review on this one?

Tau Zero
06-06-2006, 11:56 PM
When do we get to see the review on this one?Well, now that I've got the 18mm Sirius "Interrogator" stuff done, I guess the Tau Zero is next in line. :eek: :p :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Carl@Semroc
06-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Too late. I've already got you both beat. :rolleyes:

The original TZ is 15" long, and weighs 0.8 oz. An SLS 175% Tau Zero would be close to 26" long. :eek:

I've already got the roughed-out RockSim file to prove it. :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay
BC-125105???

Tau Zero
06-08-2006, 11:20 PM
BC-125105???Carl,

As my dad would say, "You're Johnny on the spot." ;) :D :cool:

I reworked the "Tau Zero" nose cone file slightly, to make it the OFFICIAL RELEASE, :eek: :cool:
and then upscaled it 175 to 177% (depending on the specific dimension) for the SLS (Semroc Large Scale) version.

Carl, I rounded off the SLS lengths a little bit (9.1875" + 1.3125" = 9.2" + 1.3") just to make your life easier. :D

Gentlemen, I also "tweaked" the information contained in the files (specifically on the "Save to database" tab) from BC-763 (Carl's initial "custom" designation) to BC-760. Please consider this THE *OFFICIAL* BC-760 RockSim file.

The BC-125105 (fits LT-125 tube and is 10.5" long) has been similarly modified.

Thank you for your kind attention. Dismissed!

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Not finished yet, but I wanted to work in some black to Jay's Tau Zero design. If it keeps raining like it is today, I should find time to finish it tomorrow. :cool:

Tau Zero
06-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Not finished yet, but I wanted to work in some black to Jay's Tau Zero design.Nice! The black cockpit decals I had planned wouldn't show up, but hey... They're not even remotely *close* to being ready for use on this particular TZ. So go for it!

If it keeps raining like it is today, I should find time to finish it tomorrow. :cool:Just one brief question: Did you mask off the "glue lines" on the outside of the ring fin where you plan to glue the outer fins? :confused:

Inquiring minds want to know. :eek: :cool:

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Just one brief question: Did you mask off the "glue lines" on the outside of the ring fin where you plan to glue the outer fins? :confused:
--Jay

No, but I had to resand the ring fin anyway. :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Hijacked from the "Jay's in the air" thread under Mission Control:

I did finish the Tau Zero over the weekend,
Jay, how did you mount the launch lug? Does it have a standoff or is it mounted on one of the inner fins?On the inner fin, just inside the ring fin, like this:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2508

You'll have to look more closely here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2697

The 1.75" launch lug should be 1/4" (*not* 1/8", like I originally posted) from each end of the 2.25" long ring fin. It's an odd mounting place, but extremely effective. It may be the Tau Zero's most innovative feature. ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

EchoVictor
06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Jay,

I'm quite fond of that trick myself. I used it on my Sunward Galactic Wave / Scorpion homage...

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=983

Later,
EV

Tau Zero
06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm quite fond of that trick myself. I used it on my Sunward Galactic Wave / Scorpion homage...Eric,

Yep! There it is! ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

P.S. Did you ever make the plans available for your "Scarab" design? Now *that* one's *cool!* :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
OK, I'm done. I didn't think to line up the fins, so they're a little off. :o

Tweener
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
OK, I'm done. I didn't think to line up the fins, so they're a little off. :oJust like it's Daddy. :D ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Just like it's Daddy. :D ;)

Hey, that was an unnecessary cheap shot at Jay. :rolleyes:
He's not that off, just tall.

Tau Zero
06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
OK, I'm done.It looks good, Bill! Say, are you going "streamer" or "parachute?"

I didn't think to line up the fins, so they're a little off. :oI had the same problem on "Prototype I" (see below), even *with* an Estes fin alignment guide. :eek: :rolleyes: :o

I think I have some ideas that will help minimize this problem. :D They'll be in the instructions. :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, NOW you've got ideas.
You're timing is a little off.

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Hey, that was an unnecessary cheap shot at Jay. :rolleyes:
He's not that off, just tall.Well, I *am* sick and twisted... :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

Tweener
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, I *am* sick and twisted... :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,Perhaps I should have said a "little off" like the builder, as this was my meaning since Bill definitely seems to march to the beat of a different drum ;) . But hey, if it flies straight - who cares? :D :D :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Perhaps I should have said a "little off" like the builder, as this was my meaning since Bill definitely seems to march to the beat of a different drum ;) . But hey, if it flies straight - who cares? :D :D :D

I think we got it. ;)

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Bill definitely seems to march to the beat of a different drum ;) .You mean "drummer." That would be Neil Peart. (At least part of the time.)

(Jay pantomimes the drum fills from toward the end of "Tom Sawyer") *Ouch.* I'm definitely not in shape for *that.* :rolleyes:

But hey, if it flies straight - who cares?You should have seen the simulation spin end over end :eek: until I got the RockSim file to work. ;) :D

(I figured it would probably fly okay in the real world. I just wasn't sure which engine to use at first.)

Chuckling,

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 10:25 PM
(I figured it would probably fly okay in the real world. I just wasn't sure which engine to use at first.)

Chuckling,

C6-7. :cool:

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 10:52 PM
C6-7. :cool:(holds head in hands) Come time for the 175% SLS upscale, I'm sure you'll be slapping an "F" in it. (heavy sigh of mock resignation) :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 11:08 PM
(holds head in hands) Come time for the 175% SLS upscale, I'm sure you'll be slapping an "F" in it. (heavy sigh of mock resignation) :rolleyes: ;) :D

Nah, I pretty much stick with E's unless the rocket specifically calls for the F. Don't care all that much for the expense or the PITA getting a Copperhead to light. (I only have two F flights in my life. One each in 2001 and 2002.)

Tau Zero
08-03-2006, 11:10 PM
From the Jay's Tau Zero A-C Launch (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=9995&postcount=31) thread:I just replaced the Tau Zero's SE-10 with an SE-14. *Now* when I heft the TZ, it's pretty beefy.Here's the original 15" long Tau Zero Prototype I next to the 175% Semroc Large Scale (SLS) BC-125105 nose cone. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
From the Jay's Tau Zero A-C Launch (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=9995&postcount=31) thread:Here's the original 15" long Tau Zero Prototype I next to the 175% Semroc Large Scale (SLS) BC-125105 nose cone. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

Jay,

Have you drawn up the SLS version yet on RockSim? That's one stout-looking cone. My only concern, looking at the image, is the short shoulder length, relative to the overall length. Have you had any issues with keeping it straight in the tube?

Tau Zero
08-04-2006, 12:13 AM
That's one stout-looking cone. My only concern, looking at the image, is the short shoulder length, relative to the overall length. Have you had any issues with keeping it straight in the tube?It hasn't *been* in the tube. :o I just checked my SLS Javelin, and the shoulder for the BC-12561 cone is the same length -- roughly 11/16". In my RockSim file, I had originally specified that as 1". (Hmm...)

My "rough file" for the SLS Tau Zero says it weighs 9 oz. :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

JRThro
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
It hasn't *been* in the tube. :o I just checked my SLS Javelin, and the shoulder for the BC-12561 cone is the same length -- roughly 11/16". In my RockSim file, I had originally specified that as 1". (Hmm...)

My "rough file" for the SLS Tau Zero says it weighs 9 oz. :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay
Jay,

9 oz. divided by 1.75 cubed is... 1.7 oz. Did the original Tau Zero gain that much weight, even with the bigger screw eye? Earlier in this thread, you said it weighed 0.8 oz., but that was before you found that you needed to increase the nose weight.

Or are there other things that I'm not considering? (No way!)

CPMcGraw
08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Jay,

9 oz. divided by 1.75 cubed is... 1.7 oz. Did the original Tau Zero gain that much weight, even with the bigger screw eye? Earlier in this thread, you said it weighed 0.8 oz., but that was before you found that you needed to increase the nose weight.

Or are there other things that I'm not considering? (No way!)

JRT,

It's the fin material that's adding up. The rest of the model is only a fraction of the total weight. The fins are probably the heaviest single items in the list.

Tau Zero
08-05-2006, 01:26 AM
It's the fin material that's adding up. The rest of the model is only a fraction of the total weight.Craig and John,

I spent some time with RockSim files of Carl's SLS Javelin. The 29mm version weighs 3.3 oz, and the 24mm version weighs 1/2 an ounce more.

Apparently the materials weights are also designated a *lot* heavier with RockSim 8. I reworked my "rough" SLS Tau Zero file, and managed to get the weight down to about 6.5 oz.

Or are there other things that I'm not considering? (No way!)*Way.* :D Actually the "improved" 100% Tau Zero now weighs in at 1.16 oz, according to RockSim. I haven't weighed it in "the real world" yet to see if that's accurate.

Your math is a good beginning, but I think there's a little more to the equation. (taking mathematics into my own hands):

1) Figure that basswood weighs roughly 3 times as the same amount of balsa. (3)
2) Consider that I'm going from 3/32" balsa fins to 1/8" basswood. (1.33)
3) *Now* use your upscale factor. (1.75)

In other words, 3 x 1.33 x 1.75 = 6.9825 (or ~7). :eek: And that's *just* the fins. :rolleyes:

But the body tube weights seem to be way off, and it's *amazing* how much heavier "Paper" is than "Spiral/Glassine" is in RockSim 8. :mad:

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Jay (and all)...

I finally got the two sections of my TZ Kilzed today. This was something I had planned two weekends ago, but weather and other factors got in the way.

On my fins, I label-stickered them to pre-seal the grain, and I think this is going to be one of my standard methods from now on. I've got a clone Estes Laser that's been sitting finished for about two years with not even a hint of delaminating...

This TZ has the added 1" of body tube compared to the first prototype. I'm glad to hear the heavier screw eye brings the margin back to the safe zone, so this will be a comparison on how well the longer version flies. No promises on using a "C" motor, though. I'll have to use the streamer 'fer sure' to keep it inside the boundaries. Hopefully I'll have the first sanding done by Wednesday, and maybe some color by Friday, and if all goes according to plan, first flight by next Sunday.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
if all goes according to plan, first flight by next Sunday.

Where might this be taking place? I'll be in Gulf Shores next week. Maybe I'll be able to see you across the bay. ;)

CPMcGraw
08-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Where might this be taking place? I'll be in Gulf Shores next week. Maybe I'll be able to see you across the bay. ;)

Mobile County, downtown Tillmans Corner, west on Three Notch Kroner Road about 1 mile. Griggs Elementary School on left (south side of TNK), across from Mobile Memorial Gardens.

I spent my trip two weeks ago to Gulf Shores to take a crash course in mortgage origination. Four days from 9 to 4 on the top floor of Meyers Real Estate building, class taught by HHP Mortgage. (I usually work on these guys' computers, trying to keep them running...) I could see the $300K condos being built in the distance, but that was as close to the beach as I got...

Sunday is "weather permitting", which it hasn't in a few weeks now...

Tau Zero
08-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I finally got the two sections of my TZ Kilzed today. This was something I had planned two weekends ago, but weather and other factors got in the way.

On my fins, I label-stickered them to pre-seal the grain, and I think this is going to be one of my standard methods from now on.Cool, isn't it? ;) :D

This TZ has the added 1" of body tube compared to the first prototype. I'm glad to hear the heavier screw eye brings the margin back to the safe zone, so this will be a comparison on how well the longer version flies. No promises on using a "C" motor, though. I'll have to use the streamer 'fer sure' to keep it inside the boundaries.Yeah, I'm going to officially designate this design as "streamer," instead of "'chute." Keep us posted! My next tentative launch is Saturday, August 19th, and the "new, improved" bigger screw-eye Tau Zero is slated for a "C" flight, if I can make it up to Tripoli Idaho's summer flight range again.

Craig, I was thinking we may have to call your version "Tau Zero, +1." :eek: :rolleyes: :D BTW, are you using the bigger screw eye (SE-14), or not (yet)? Just wondering.

Tonight I got the flight summary (so far) written for my Tau Zero EMRR review, so that's *some* progress, at least. Earlier this summer, I hoped I'd have the review *and* the instructions written by the end of July. Oh, well. "Real life" happened instead. :o

Cheers,

Tau Zero
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
9 oz. divided by 1.75 cubed is... 1.7 oz.6.5 oz. divided by 1.75 cubed is... ~1.213. Or about 0.05 oz heavier than the 100% version's 1.16 oz. :D

Additional comments?

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
08-08-2006, 01:14 AM
BTW, are you using the bigger screw eye (SE-14), or not (yet)? Just wondering.

No, just the standard SE-10.

Tonight I got the flight summary (so far) written for my Tau Zero EMRR review, so that's *some* progress, at least. Earlier this summer, I hoped I'd have the review *and* the instructions written by the end of July.

I've still got instruction sheets to write dating back to the earliest BARCLONEs. How are you writing yours? Like Carl's "booklet-style", with illustrations? Or just a list of written steps, with no illustrations?

Tau Zero
08-08-2006, 01:18 AM
How are you writing yours? Like Carl's "booklet-style", with illustrations? Or just a list of written steps, with no illustrations?When I start, :eek: it will be the former, like traditional Centuri-style instructions. Or vaguely reminiscent of the BARCLONE Mk III layout, IIRC. :cool:

Cheers,

JRThro
08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
6.5 oz. divided by 1.75 cubed is... ~1.213. Or about 0.05 oz heavier than the 100% version's 1.16 oz. :D

Additional comments?

Cheers,

--Jay
That's amazingly close. Scarily close, even.

Your math is a good beginning, but I think there's a little more to the equation. (taking mathematics into my own hands):

1) Figure that basswood weighs roughly 3 times as the same amount of balsa. (3)
2) Consider that I'm going from 3/32" balsa fins to 1/8" basswood. (1.33)
3) *Now* use your upscale factor. (1.75)

In other words, 3 x 1.33 x 1.75 = 6.9825 (or ~7). And that's *just* the fins.
Actually, let's see...

Taking mathematics back into my own hands:
The density of basswood is 3 times that of balsa.
The volume of the upscale fins is 1.33 (upscale fin thickness factor) x 1.75 (upscale fin span factor) x 1.75 (upscale fin length factor) = 4.08 times the volume of the original fins instead of the 1.75 cubed, or 5.36, that I assumed. But I didn't take the density difference between basswood and balsa into account.

So, the weight of the upscale fins is 3 x 4.08 = 12.24 times the weight of the original fins!

CPMcGraw
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
When I start, :eek: it will be the former, like traditional Centuri-style instructions. Or vaguely reminiscent of the BARCLONE Mk III layout, IIRC. :cool:

Cheers,

Those instructions would be vague, indeed, since I haven't written anything for it yet... :o

Are you thinking of the Blue Sneek?

CPMcGraw
08-12-2006, 07:34 PM
...Well, it could use a few touch-ups here and there...

I've decided to keep this model painted in a very traditiional black-and-yellow combination, but I'm going to chrome the fins for some added sparkle. It shouldn't look too bad; it's certainly not the master-finish I wanted to do, but that's what second prototypes are for...

I'll try to shoot some photos of it before I glue the fin-ring subassembly to the main body. The fin-ring piece needs the most work to get it right, as my paint didn't shoot well, and I just don't feel like sanding it all back down to the primer.

Found one serious "gotcha" with the label sheet layer. If you don't get it sealed completely under the primer, the painter's tape will peel it right off the wood. I had to press the labels back down on all three fins, near the tips. Hopefully the chrome paint will finish the seal-down and I won't have to worry about it after that.

The weather kept me from finishing before this weekend, so now I'm looking at next weekend for the maiden flight.

Tau Zero
08-12-2006, 11:51 PM
...Well, it could use a few touch-ups here and there...

I've decided to keep this model painted in a very traditiional black-and-yellow combination, but I'm going to chrome the fins for some added sparkle.Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it! :D

It shouldn't look too bad; it's certainly not the master-finish I wanted to do, but that's what second prototypes are for...Indeed. :o

Found one serious "gotcha" with the label sheet layer. If you don't get it sealed completely under the primer, the painter's tape will peel it right off the wood. I had to press the labels back down on all three fins, near the tips. Hopefully the chrome paint will finish the seal-down and I won't have to worry about it after that.(wincing) Ooh... sorry to make you the guinea pig with that. :( Unfortunately, I hadn't gotten to masking any of my "label-covered" fins yet, so I didn't realize that might happen.

Did you seal the edges of the label paper with thin CA? (I'm sure you did, I'm just asking you to spell it out specifically.)

I'm hoping to get a *stable* Tau Zero flight next weekend. Since I can't make any progress on *that* in the meantime, I managed to start writing the TZ instructions this morning. :D :cool:

Tonight, I'm gluing used 18mm motor casings to four 18" long dowels for paint wands. Otherwise, I'd be priming right now. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
08-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Those instructions would be vague, indeed, since I haven't written anything for it yet... :oUm... I was thinking of your latest format, and apparently misremembered it as something like "Series III."

BTW, what are you calling the layout that your "Prometheus" instructions have?

Curious, as always,

CPMcGraw
08-13-2006, 07:23 AM
BTW, what are you calling the layout that your "Prometheus" instructions have?

I haven't even started working on them yet, Jay. Instruction writing is so far behind for the BARCLONE line it's pathetic. RockSim makes the job so much easier, since most of us know how to build motor mounts in our sleep, with one hand and one eyeball tied behind our pillow...

CPMcGraw
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
...But still need developing (35mm disposable)...

My TZ is now ready for final assembly, and might actually get to fly this weekend, weather permitting!

Sitting here on the computer desk, the model doesn't look too bad, all things considered. I think it's flyable, anyway, and should be easily seen. An "A" motor flight, maybe a "B" flight, but I don't know about the "C" flight yet. I need to find some 1.5" wide streamer material at Lowes...

CPMcGraw
08-17-2006, 10:36 PM
OK, I was using a cheap Kodak with 800 film, and I took it this afternoon to Wal Mart for their 1-Hour Photo Lab to have at it...

Looks like they did...

The four Tau Zero shots I took were at the end of the roll, and guess which ones got schnockered?

Right, the last four...

I'm including two images which I've tried to correct with PhotoShop, but it didn't help much.

I had two cameras in one pack, so the next one will get sent to Walgreens for their 'regular' process. It's hard to tell if this was a failure in the camera itself, or just p**s-poor developing. Probably a bit of both...

Tau Zero
08-17-2006, 11:44 PM
The four Tau Zero shots I took were at the end of the roll, and guess which ones got schnockered?

Right, the last four...

I'm including two images which I've tried to correct with PhotoShop, but it didn't help much.Yeah, well, at least your grass is green. :rolleyes:

I think it's interesting that you and Bill both went for a black nose cone. Your yellow, black, and silver color scheme is pretty striking! :cool: It looks good!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm hoping to get my "heavily nose-weighted" TZ up in the air on Saturday with the Tripoli Idaho guys. (crosses fingers)

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
I've given a flight report of my extended-length version in the other thread in this message:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=10753&postcount=39

Tau Zero
08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
I'm hoping to get a *stable* Tau Zero flight next weekend.And so I did. :D

I also figured out how to draw the cockpit design for the decals last night. Here are photos of a printout of said cockpit taped onto Tau Zero Prototype I, now retired after 7 flights. :cool:

Overall, I'm pretty happy, since I usually lose rockets instead of officially retiring them!

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw
08-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Jay,

You might want to check the final diameters for the openings and the fin slots, but here is an image for those alignment guides I told you about some time back. Print these out on cardstock, trim out only the areas in RED (leave the rest of the sheet in place) and they will hold the fins in their proper alignment until the glue dries. Use two identical guides, front and back. If you have some thicker cardboard, even better, but cardstock will do in a pinch.

Tau Zero
08-27-2006, 11:16 PM
here is an image for those alignment guides I told you about some time back.Thanks! I've printed them out, but still have to actually *use* them. :o

The extended-length (10" long ST-7, instead of Jay's original 9" tube) Tau Zero has flown, and it was arrow-straight on the A8-3. Recovery was a 1" x 10" streamer, and was nearly without incident.Bill Eichelberger used a 15" streamer with good results. After my 7th test flight, I realized that my 1.75" x 36" streamer (folded in the middle) was *way* too long (i.e., "effective"), and *that* caused the "tail first" impact. I still have to see what just an 18" long streamer will do.

Great job, Jay! An interesting design, a simple build, and a great-flying model. It should make an equally great SEMROC kit when we get all of the first-flight wrinkles ironed out.Off-forum, Craig suggested that I shift the balsa and ring fins forward 1/4". As you can imagine, it did *nasty* things to the stability, especially when I added an engine hook and exterior tube coupler. However, RockSim said that extending the main ST-7 body tube 1" would almost exactly equal the calibers (1.52 vs. 1.56) :D of the original 9" tube on a C6-5.

And it increases the "cool factor" slightly. The Tau Zero looks a little more elegant (more like a classic spaceship :cool: ), but a *lot* better than a 12" long main body tube! I've attached A/B comparison pictures below.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw
08-28-2006, 11:10 AM
...RockSim said that extending the main ST-7 body tube 1" would almost exactly equal the calibers (1.52 vs. 1.56) :D of the original 9" tube on a C6-5.

And it increases the "cool factor" slightly. The Tau Zero looks a little more elegant (more like a classic spaceship :cool: ), but a *lot* better than a 12" long main body tube...

I agree, the 12" tube was too long for a good appearance.

DeanHFox
08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Jay, I really like this design so far, but the sci-fi geek in me is screaming, "it needs fin-tip laser cannons!".

I'm thinking "launch lugs with dowels in them" ala the Canaroc Scorpion. :)

I'll show you mine when Carl kits it and I get done mod'ding it. Maybe an Astron white/red paint scheme, with Interceptor-style decals? Whee! The possibilities are endless! :D

Tau Zero
08-29-2006, 12:10 AM
Jay, I really like this design so far, but the sci-fi geek in me is screaming, "it needs fin-tip laser cannons!".

I'm thinking "launch lugs with dowels in them" ala the Canaroc Scorpion. :)

I'll show you mine when Carl kits it and I get done mod'ding it. Maybe an Astron white/red paint scheme, with Interceptor-style decals? Whee! The possibilities are endless! :DYou were thinking of something like *this,* maybe?

The fin "tip chord" (?) is 1" long, so cut a 3/16" launch lug to match, and the 3/32" dowel measures 1.75" long.

How about it?

CPMcGraw
08-29-2006, 12:18 AM
You were thinking of something like *this,* maybe?

I like that modification, Jay. I was thinking along the same lines, about how it gives it a pseudo-Klingon-Bird-Of-Prey-ish appearance to it from certain angles.

I'll work this into one of the simulation files tomorrow... in the morning :eek: ...

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-29-2006, 12:21 AM
:cool: , but those kinds of things often get hung up with the recovery gear. I like the look though.

Tau Zero
08-29-2006, 12:33 AM
:cool: , but those kinds of things often get hung up with the recovery gear.Yeah, and I'd be concerned that they'd break off on impact with the ground. :eek:

I like the look though.Me, too. We could call it the Dean H Fox "Sci-Fi Geek" Ion Cannon Mod. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,

JRThro
08-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah, and I'd be concerned that they'd break off on impact with the ground. :eek:

Me, too. We could call it the Dean H Fox "Sci-Fi Geek" Ion Cannon Mod. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Cheers,
But Dean asked for *laser* cannons. If you install *ion* cannons, you'll have to reroute the warp manifold at the very least.

DeanHFox
08-29-2006, 08:38 AM
But Dean asked for *laser* cannons. If you install *ion* cannons, you'll have to reroute the warp manifold at the very least.
Hey, "Ion" cannons, "Laser" cannons, "Thermal-Phaser-Pulse-Tuned-Plasma" cannons, they're all the same when you're looking down the barrell of one! :D :eek: :p

Jay, that's EXACTLY the look I was seeing in my head while looking at the design. I agree with Bill's concern about recovery stuff tangling up in them, but I like to build my birds primarily for looks...if I'm going for performance and beautiful flights, I build a 3FNC. :D

BOY, those tip-cannons make that design sexier. If they make it to Semroc's "production" version, I'm glad to have contributed a little something. You even got the LENGTH I was thinking about right on the money! :D

sandman
08-29-2006, 08:48 AM
How about fin pods similar to the old Estes Excalipur?

Not as big, more like the fin pods on the Astron Constellation but reversed.

Something smoother and more elegant than "ion cannons". ;)

Sirius Rocketry
08-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I like both!

CPMcGraw
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey, "Ion" cannons, "Laser" cannons, "Thermal-Phaser-Pulse-Tuned-Plasma" cannons, they're all the same when you're looking down the barrell of one! :D :eek: :p

Jay, that's EXACTLY the look I was seeing in my head while looking at the design. I agree with Bill's concern about recovery stuff tangling up in them, but I like to build my birds primarily for looks...if I'm going for performance and beautiful flights, I build a 3FNC. :D

BOY, those tip-cannons make that design sexier. If they make it to Semroc's "production" version, I'm glad to have contributed a little something. You even got the LENGTH I was thinking about right on the money! :D

Dean, Jay, and all...

Take a look at this treatment I worked up in RockSim. I don't know if this is possible to duplicate in a full-up rendering of the model, but this gives you the general idea...

CPMcGraw
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM

These are collectively known as "Mega-Hurts"... :D

The hand-held models are the ones known as "Kill-O-Zaps"...

James Pierson
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
I really think that some Ping Pong Ball's are called for as well, at least two. :D

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Tau Zero
09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
You might want to check the final diameters for the openings and the fin slots, but here is an image for those alignment guides I told you about some time back.Craig,

*Very* handy! :D However, I just wanted to let you know that while the ST-16 outer fin guide works nicely, the ST-7 diameter isn't quite as big as it should be. (mock serious look) Are you sure you didn't draw a BT-20 tube instead? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

At any rate, I just wanted to let you know about that, in addition to saying "thanks" for drawing those up.

Thanks and cheers,

Tau Zero
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I really think that some Ping Pong Ball's are called for as well, at least two.(ruffling JP's hair) You *would.* :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :p

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
09-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Craig,

*Very* handy! :D However, I just wanted to let you know that while the ST-16 outer fin guide works nicely, the ST-7 diameter isn't quite as big as it should be. (mock serious look) Are you sure you didn't draw a BT-20 tube instead? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

At any rate, I just wanted to let you know about that, in addition to saying "thanks" for drawing those up.

Thanks and cheers,

They're sized in PhotoShop to the OD of ST-7, but when they get printed out they seem to shrink a few thou. I usually increase the size of the image a few pixels to compensate, but I may not have with these before posting. Just increase the W and H of the whole image equally by about 8-12 pixels, and it should come out correct.

You really need to use a stiff cardboard on these, and use more than one of each. Both of my prototypes came out slightly skewed just using one. Remember to trim out the fin-base corners to keep from gluing them in place... :o

What you might consider is sliding the guides in place over the fins before applying glue, getting them aligned first, then applying a thinned layer of glue with a small brush. If you've already hit the tube and fin edge with one layer, then this glue can wick itself into the joint. It's a little more work setting it up, but it seems to have worked OK on a few others I've tried it on. YMMV...

Tau Zero
09-02-2006, 11:43 PM
They're sized in PhotoShop to the OD of ST-7, but when they get printed out they seem to shrink a few thou. [SNIP]
Just increase the W and H of the whole image equally by about 8-12 pixels, and it should come out correct.

You really need to use a stiff cardboard on these, and use more than one of each. Both of my prototypes came out slightly skewed just using one. [SNIP]

What you might consider is sliding the guides in place over the fins before applying glueI tried messing with the size (even adding as many 60 pixels), but it didn't work out. I ended up "printing my own" ST-7 fin guide using Gary Crowell's VCT 1.00, which worked just fine. (See first and second photos.) :eek: --Yes, I *know* the grain's going the "wrong" way. That's why I'd like Carl to move the position of the "slot" on the inner fins' root edge forward a quarter of an inch. --Don't worry, we'll take care of it! :rolleyes:

However, I used a custom VCT Estes-style fin wrapper to make sure the outer fins are lined up perfectly straight. Then as I glue the fins on, I put each fin to the "right" of line I drew on the body tube (since I'm right-handed, and with the nose of the rocket pointed upward), :cool: instead of centering the fin on the line. (You *will* notice in the third photo that my method added to Craig's larger fin guide is quite effective, despite using just one "disc." :D )

IRemember to trim out the fin-base corners to keep from gluing them in place... :o Yeah, that would be *too* embarrassing, and was the main reason I hadn't done it before. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-03-2006, 02:01 AM
cut a 3/16" launch lug to match [1" long], and the 3/32" dowel measures 1.75" long.Cut a Semroc LL-330 (3/16" diameter, 3" long) into thirds.

Use a 1/8" diameter WD-212 wood dowel instead of my erroneous 3/32" suggestion. Carl has 1/8 and 1/12" dowels currently available on his website.

[For the technically curious, 3/32" is ~0.094 in diameter, while 1/12" is 0.083".]

*My* Ion Cannon prototypes are below. ;) :D :cool:

Enjoy,

CPMcGraw
09-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Jay,

These are going to dress it up nice. Glad the alignment guide idea worked out for you (even if it wasn't my pattern...); I use these on all my designs in some form, and had been including patterns in all of the PDF plan sets. They work remarkably well when I get them sized right...:rolleyes:

Tau Zero
09-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Glad the alignment guide idea worked out for you (even if it wasn't my pattern...)Like I said off-forum, leave it to me to figure that out *after* I'd glued the inner fins onto the main body tube... and they *weren't* aligned correctly! :mad: :rolleyes: :o

However, the outer/ST-16 ring fin guide worked nicely. So I created an ST-7 version, and late Sunday night I began building a "correctly" aligned version of the main tube and inner fins. While I'm not designating these "practice runs" as my official prototypes, I guess I could call them "pre-production prototypes." :rolleyes: ;)

As is the case when you build the same model more than once in somewhat immediate succession, the second go-around went quicker than the first. This time, I actually managed to get the engine hook positioned 180 degrees away from one of the inner fins. :p

So to conclude, construction on Tau Zero Pre-Production Prototype "A" is under way. It'll be interesting to see how Carl "kits" the fin guides. I'm thinking fiber, but we'll have to see how they fit into the bag. Hmm...

Although I can't help but wonder if Sheryl will hate me for making her cut those 1" long LL-310 launch lugs and the accompanying dowels for the "Ion Cannon" option. :o

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Tau Zero "pre-production Prototype A" is structurally complete.

I didn't glue the ring fin to the inner fins, so Carl and crew will be able to slide the alignment guides over each set of balsa fins to see how the guides work. (I left off the "ion cannons" for the same reason, but I'll be including a sample of one when I send it to Semroc.)

I used double-stick tape to attach the cockpit mockup to the nose cone. I didn't bother attaching an 18" streamer, but that can wait, since I plan on *actually flying* "PP" Prototype B.

Now I just need to figure out what the heck I'm going to include on the rest of the decals. Any suggestions are welcome, as long as I can use early 21st century technology to create them. (Sorry, I'm "clean out" of 3D matter replicators and spacefolding tesseract-y thingums. :o )

Tau Zero
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
...since those other 4 files took up 1.01 MB on that last message. :rolleyes:

Here ya go! It's an "up close and personal" view of the engine hook positioning:

DeanHFox
09-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Jay --- here's some suggestions for decals:

1. Maybe some hatches on the "bottom" as it's stitting on your table...one on the main tube just aft of the nose cone, and two more on the underside of the "big tube", in between the two bottom fins (so the effect is that there are "landing skids" hidden under the "hatches").

2. Maybe some "triangular sections" on the fin surfaces...ala Estes Big Daddy (sorta) or Canaroc's Starfleet designs (sorta)...add some nice extra color, there.

3. If it was me, I'd move the "Tau Zero" to be on either side of the longer tube, and add some extra details (radiators?) where you have the "Tau Zero" on the big tube... but I'm conflicted on that, as I also like where you have the "Tau Zero" now! :)

Just some ideas (after all, you asked!) :D

Tau Zero
09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Tau Zero "pre-production Prototype A" is structurally complete.I *have* to admit, I feel a little self-conscious about this, :o but I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

(Do you think anybody'll care 25 years from now?) :rolleyes: ;) :D

Tau Zero
09-07-2006, 12:13 AM
1. ...(so the effect is that there are "landing skids" hidden under the "hatches").

3. ...I'd move the "Tau Zero" to be on either side of the longer tube, and add some extra details (radiators?) where you have the "Tau Zero" on the big tube... but I'm conflicted on that, as I also like where you have the "Tau Zero" now!Dean,

I'm identically conflicted as well! ;) :D --I like the hatches suggestion, and I'll keep that in mind.

2. Maybe some "triangular sections" on the fin surfaces...ala Estes Big Daddy (sorta) or Canaroc's Starfleet designs (sorta)...add some nice extra color, there.That reminds me a little of the Centuri Stiletto fins, as well.

Just some ideas (after all, you asked!)Thanks for delivering! :cool: :D

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Your fin alignment guides look surprisingly familiar to the way I usually cut mine -- removing the bulk around the edges between the fin tips...:)

With cardstock, they are very flimsy and don't give nearly as much rigidity to the purpose, but Carl's 0.05" material should do wonders, especially since his version would be laser-cut and much straighter than we get by hand. I think it might even be possible to reduce the amount of material by half with his material.

Tau Zero
09-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Tau Zero "pre-production Prototype A" is structurally complete. [SNIP]

(I left off the "ion cannons" for the same reason, but I'll be including a sample of one when I send it to Semroc.)Whew! The box went out in the mail this morning.

Now we wait. (pretending to chew fingernails) :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Chuckling,

JRThro
09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Tau Zero "pre-production Prototype A" is structurally complete.

I didn't glue the ring fin to the inner fins, so Carl and crew will be able to slide the alignment guides over each set of balsa fins to see how the guides work. (I left off the "ion cannons" for the same reason, but I'll be including a sample of one when I send it to Semroc.)

I used double-stick tape to attach the cockpit mockup to the nose cone. I didn't bother attaching an 18" streamer, but that can wait, since I plan on *actually flying* "PP" Prototype B.

Now I just need to figure out what the heck I'm going to include on the rest of the decals. Any suggestions are welcome, as long as I can use early 21st century technology to create them. (Sorry, I'm "clean out" of 3D matter replicators and spacefolding tesseract-y thingums. :o )
Jay, if you're still looking for decal suggestions, you might take a look at the various Rokitflite Odyssey pictures here at YORF and over on TRF for some ideas.

Do you want windows on the Tau Zero's body? Or a stripe along the body, with the "Tau Zero" decal in the middle of it? Or something that somehow simultaneously indicates infinitesimal thickness and infinite mass? Um, what about a wrap with a series of rings around the body tube, starting with a relatively thick one and continuing with sucessively thinner rings getting successively closer together?

Tau Zero
09-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Jay, if you're still looking for decal suggestions, you might take a look at the various Rokitflite Odyssey pictures here at YORF and over on TRF for some ideas.Y'know, I've already got Scott Branche paying attention to my fillets, so maybe that's *not* such a good idea. :eek: ;) :D (Although I *do* have a mostly unassembled Shrox Icarus "in the box." Maybe I should take another look at *that* decal sheet. :p

Do you want windows on the Tau Zero's body? Or a stripe along the body, with the "Tau Zero" decal in the middle of it? Or something that somehow simultaneously indicates infinitesimal thickness and infinite mass?*Ooh.* I *like* that last idea. :cool:

Um, what about a wrap with a series of rings around the body tube, starting with a relatively thick one and continuing with successively thinner rings getting successively closer together?That vaguely reminds me of the Estes Yellow Jacket (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est2008.htm), if I recall the name correctly.

Good suggestions all. I appreciate the input, and I figured that you guys could provide some good feedback (if *anybody* could). :D Keep it coming!

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
09-08-2006, 11:54 PM
That vaguely reminds me of the Estes Yellow Jacket (http://www.dars.org/jimz/est2008.htm), if I recall the name correctly.

I also thought about the main body wrap decal from the Warp II, which is a double chevron. What if you took multiple chevrons of varying thickness, getting thinner from fore-to-aft, with the points on the sides toward the front, and the 'valleys' on top/bottom? That way, the nose cone and forward tube sections could be black, and the rear sections could be yellow, or white, or perhaps some combination of chrome and copper. Even a pearlescent white would look good, with other black decals to trim it out.

JRThro
09-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Good suggestions all. I appreciate the input, and I figured that you guys could provide some good feedback (if *anybody* could). :D Keep it coming!

Cheers,
Or the equation "tau=0," using the lower-case Greek letter instead of the word, somewhere on the body or a fin? Or how about "tau=0 or bust!"

Tau Zero
09-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Or the equation "tau=0," using the lower-case Greek letter instead of the word, somewhere on the body or a fin?(smacks forehead) I'd *meant* to do that, so I'm glad you caught my "telepathic vibe" and bounced it back to me! Thanks so much! :D :cool:

Or how about "tau=0 or bust!" :D(lengthy chuckle) Yeah, I like that one too... especially if it's hand-lettered... or looks like it's *spray*-painted on! :rolleyes: :D

*Excellent suggestions.* Even better than your last ones, I think. :p

Cheers,

Carl@Semroc
09-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Jay,

We got the package yesterday, finally. We were right. The Post Office was trying to justify higher rates to pay for storage of undelivered mail. Turns out that they forgot to put a notice in the P.O. box. I personally think they had an office pool to see when someone would ask about it!

As I pulled peanuts out of the box, Sheryl was watching. I think to make sure I did not get styrofoam all over the place like I usually do. But as I put the various pieces together, she kept saying, "That's neat!" I put the outer fins, wrongly, swept to the back. She said. "That's neat!" I realized my mistake and turned it around. She said, "That's better."

I think she likes it.

Tau Zero
09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
As I pulled peanuts out of the box, Sheryl was watching. [A]s I put the various pieces together, she kept saying, "That's neat!" I put the outer fins, wrongly, swept to the back. She said. "That's neat!"(chuckling) As you can see by the pictures I enclosed, the outer fins are glued to the ring fin "backward" so the outer fin alignment guide can be used. But you have to make sure you *don't* glue the ring fin on first! :eek: :rolleyes:

By the way, look for the letter "T" on the body tubes just to the right of the fins (as you're looking at the rocket from the rear). Line those two up, since "T" stands for "top" (as opposed to "Tau" :rolleyes: ;) ). Turn the nose cone so the cockpit lines up with that "top" fin, and that's how the pieces fit. :cool:

I realized my mistake and turned it around. She said, "That's better."

I think she likes it. :cool: Hopefully that'll still be true after she has to kit one. :o

--Hey, what do you guys think about the "ion cannon" option?

Cheers,

DeanHFox
09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
--Hey, what do you guys think about the "ion cannon" option?
I like it! I like it!

Oh, wait. You weren't talking to me. :p

(chuckling) Why, Carl, I can't *begin* to tell you how much Jay's "Ion Cannon" option dresses up the Tau Zero. It just creates such a "Sci-Fi Geek Cool Option" that no Tau Zero should be without it!

(...and I'd say that even if I *hadn't* suggested it in the first place!) <grin, duck, and run> :eek:

We now return you to the saner members of the forum. :D

CPMcGraw
09-17-2006, 07:09 AM
...We now return you to the saner members of the forum. :D

Sanity is outlawed in this territory, mister, and will be duly confiscated from anyone crazy enough to be found possessing it!

Tau Zero
09-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I like it! I like it! Oh, wait. You weren't talking to me. :p

(chuckling) Why, Carl, I can't *begin* to tell you how much Jay's "Ion Cannon" option dresses up the Tau Zero. It just creates such a "Sci-Fi Geek Cool Option" that no Tau Zero should be without it!Well, I knew *you'd* like it! :rolleyes: ;) :p

JRThro: But Dean asked for *laser* cannons. If you install *ion* cannons, you'll have to reroute the warp manifold at the very least.
DeanHFox: Hey, "Ion" cannons, "Laser" cannons, "Thermal-Phaser-Pulse-Tuned-Plasma" cannons, they're all the same when you're looking down the barrel of one!
(Aug 2006)

We now return you to the saner members of the forum.Sanity is outlawed in this territory, mister, and will be duly confiscated from anyone crazy enough to be found possessing it!Hmm. This has the real makings of a Outer Space Western.

Dadgum Martians in the Old West? :eek: Why the heck not? :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1149

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Earlier in this thread, I test-fit pieces together for Prototype II. Yesterday, I "customized" an early laser-cut TZ fin set by cutting notches for the "outside coupler" so the grain would line up correctly.

In effect, it will be my now "standardized" layout, as seen here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=11230&postcount=146

(Don't worry, Dean. I plan on adding the ion cannons *after* a few test flights. :cool: )

However, last night I added computer label paper to seal the fin surface (and on two sets of Prometheus fins I'd stack-sanded some weeks ago). Just now, I finished up a wrestling match with thin CA to seal the fin edges. The inner fins were a bear, especially. :mad:

(*But* I found out that you can "cut" the CA that runs onto your fingers :o with 100 grit sandpaper. No, really!)

I'll let the fins dry this afternoon, and maybe I can start gluing tonight, since the body tubes are already sanded. :D

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I added computer label paper to seal the fin surface (and on two sets of Prometheus fins I'd stack-sanded some weeks ago).

I'll let the fins dry this afternoon, and maybe I can start gluing tonight, since the body tubes are already sanded.I had to build some new fin alignment guides for Tau Zero Prototype II, since I sent the prototypes for the fin guides to Carl. :eek: (Notepads with cardboard backing are quickly becoming an endangered species at my house.) Even so, I managed to get the inner and outer fin sets glued onto their respective body tubes. :cool:

I also started building Prometheus Prototype II, but managed to botch the payload section. :eek: Even using TB-7's (instead of TR-7's) for CR-57's, there's still too much "play" without gluing a strip of computer paper to the ST-5 tube. :( Oh, well. I'd planned on building two of them (Prometheii?) anyway.

BTW, Craig, I had to consult the Prometheus .PDF file you sent me in summer of last year. :rolleyes: (P.S. I like your cool new avatar. :D )

Off to bed now,

CPMcGraw
09-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I had to build some new fin alignment guides for Tau Zero Prototype II, since I sent the prototypes for the fin guides to Carl. (Notepads with cardboard backing are quickly becoming an endangered species at my house.) Even so, I managed to get the inner and outer fin sets glued onto their respective body tubes.

Remember to save the cardboard stiffies from shirts and underware packaging. Think of it as an excuse to restock your drawers and your workbench of vital supplies...:D

I also started building Prometheus Prototype II, but managed to botch the payload section. Even using TB-7's (instead of TR-7's) for CR-57's, there's still too much "play" without gluing a strip of computer paper to the ST-5 tube. Oh, well. I'd planned on building two of them (Prometheii?) anyway.

Is that how I put mine together??? I really don't remember if I had to do that or not; probably did...

BTW, Craig, I had to consult the Prometheus .PDF file you sent me in summer of last year. (P.S. I like your cool new avatar.)

Off to bed now,

Did I actually finish that PDF, or was that a partial copy? :confused:

I looked through all of the designs that I've run through RockSim, trying to find one that was distinctly BARCLONE, and this one popped out louder than some of the others. The Antares was my first real attempt at something SciFi and not so 4FNC-ish. I still need to build one for myself and see how it flies.

Tau Zero
09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Is that how I put mine together??? I really don't remember if I had to do that or not; probably did...

Did I actually finish that PDF, or was that a partial copy? :confused:Nope! It was partially partial. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

I looked through all of the designs that I've run through RockSim, trying to find one that was distinctly BARCLONE, and this one popped out louder than some of the others. The Antares was my first real attempt at something SciFi and not so 4FNC-ish. I still need to build one for myself and see how it flies.Chas Russell should build one, too, since his daughter is named Antares. :D :cool: (No, *really.* ;) )

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
I had to build some new fin alignment guides for Tau Zero Prototype IIOops! :o The last inner and outer fins that I installed weren't correctly aligned, so I had to "break" the glue joints, sand the old glue off, re-mark the lines as best I could, and re-glue them back on (while checking the alignment *much* more carefully than last night :mad: ).

So much for hitting both sections with primer tonight. :rolleyes:

I also started building Prometheus Prototype II, but managed to botch the payload section.I put the second of three fins on the lower tube tonight, and began cutting more ST-5 and -7 body tubes. Oops, forgot the ST-10! Gotta shove all the needed parts into the official "Prometheus Ziploc" bag I'd filled months ago, too.

Das ist alles,

Tau Zero
09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
So much for hitting both sections with primer tonight.That's okay. I took care of it this evening. Pre-primer shots are below.

The paint job should be *veddy interesting.* (Good old Arte Johnson. ;) :D :cool: )

Gotta shove all the needed parts into the official "Prometheus Ziploc" bagDid that last night after I signed off here. (Did I mention that I was building two of them?) Forgot the remaining ST-10. :o

This morning I glued the final fin on. Tonight I attached the launch lug to the now-completed ST-10. Also this evening, I sanded the ST-5's and -7's (two "payload sections"), and glued a 1" x 1.75" strip of computer paper to the end of each ST-5.

Oh, and Dean? You'll be happy to know that I ordered a used copy of Poul Anderson's Tau Zero from Amazon last night, along with Lester del Rey's Runaway Robot. :cool:

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
09-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I had to cut a new set of fins and another BT-60 tube for my second prototype TZ; the one I built earlier was horribly skewed and didn't line up with the inner fins at all. Now the fins look much better and line up as they should. Also, I managed to get an engine hook attached without that coupler, borrowing a page from the old Astron Scout. I simply covered it with a layer of cardstock (not nylon mesh), glued it down over the hook and allowed to dry. I then covered the hook area with a thin strip of label stock and glued the edges down with CA. It's not as strong as that coupler would be, but it will do in a pinch.

Didn't get to fly the 10" TZ this past weekend as I had hoped; too much yard duty. I hope to get in another flight this coming weekend, maybe on a C6 if I can get my helper.

Tau Zero
09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I managed to get an engine hook attached without that coupler, borrowing a page from the old Astron Scout. I simply covered it with a layer of cardstock (not nylon mesh), glued it down over the hook and allowed to dry. I then covered the hook area with a thin strip of label stock and glued the edges down with CA. It's not as strong as that coupler would be, but it will do in a pinch.I forgot to mention, but I took some "E" engine hooks and cut them down from 3.75" long to 3" long (plus 1/16"), and cut the body tube slot *AHEAD* of the 3/16" long TB-7, instead of behind it. (How's *that* for thinking outside the box?)

The extra 1/16" (which Carl had also added to the original 3.75" length) allows for a small but needed amount of "play" to insure that 2.75" long motor casings will fit.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I always thought a Bussard ramjet as described in Tau Zero (and again later in Niven's "A World Out of Time") would make a cool rocket design...and you've gone and done it! Booyah! :)I found this while I was poking around tonight looking for information on the concept of "Tau Zero":

From the "Innovative Technologies from Science Fiction for Space Applications" website:

Propulsion Techniques: Ram Scoop Devices

http://www.itsf.org/brochure/ramscoop.html

And for the record, Shrox had a "Bussard collector" on his now-OOP Icarus (http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/shx_icarus.html) *well* before I came up with my Tau Zero. :rolleyes: :cool:

Cheers,

DeanHFox
09-21-2006, 11:59 PM
You got me thinking about Poul Anderson's Tau Zero again with that post, and I just wanted to share with the other forum members his description of the starship from that book:

From Chapter 2:

Seen from one of the shuttles that brought her crew to her, Leonora Christine resembled a dagger pointing at the stars.

Her hull was a conoid, tapering toward the bow. Its burnished smoothness seemed ornamented rather than broken by the exterior fittings. These were locks and hatches; sensors for instruments; housings for the two boats that would make the planetfalls for which she herself was not designed; and the web of the Bussard ramjet, now folded flat. The base of the conoid was quite broad, since it contained the reaction mass among other things; but the length was too great for this to be particularly noticeable.

At the top of the dagger blade, a structure fanned out which you might have imagined to be the guard of a basket hilt. Its rim supported eight skeletal cylinders pointing aft. These were the thrust tubes, that accelerated the reaction mass backward when the ship moved at merely interplanetary speeds. The "basket" enclosed their controls and power plant.

Beyond this, darker in hue, extended the haft of the dagger, ending finally in an intricate pommel. The latter was the Bussard engine, the rest was shielding against its radiation when it should be activated.

Thus Leonora Christine, seventh and youngest of her class.

I've never been able to get that imagery out of my head. :)

JRThro
09-22-2006, 08:12 AM
And for the record, Shrox had a "Bussard collector" on his now-OOP Icarus (http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/shx_icarus.html) *well* before I came up with my Tau Zero. :rolleyes: :cool:

Cheers,
I particularly like this quote from Bill's review of the Shrox Icarus:
"I made sure to coat the inside of the 'Bussard Collector' tube well because I wanted to spray the inside with a fluorescent orange to give the impression that all of the Bussards that had been collected were aflame."

Solomoriah
09-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I particularly like this quote from Bill's review of the Shrox Icarus:
"I made sure to coat the inside of the 'Bussard Collector' tube well because I wanted to spray the inside with a fluorescent orange to give the impression that all of the Bussards that had been collected were aflame."
:eek:

Bussards... wonder what THEY look like! :)

sandman
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
:eek:

Bussards... wonder what THEY look like! :)

I'm not a trekky but i did a quick search on Yahoo and came up with this page.

It has all of the info I'll ever need on this topic. :rolleyes:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Bussard_ramscoop

Solomoriah
09-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh, please...

Bussard ramjets were proposed years ago as a real-world interstellar drive. The works of Larry Niven are full of them; such devices keep his Ringworld stable.

For real information, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet

Tau Zero
09-23-2006, 10:37 PM
:eek: Bussards... wonder what THEY look like!Hey, Solo!

Aren't they those really ugly birds that circle in the sky over dead (or dying) people or animals in the desert? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Y'know, like Trigger and Nutsy below, from Disney's movie "Robin Hood" (1973). :rolleyes: :p

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-28-2006, 12:36 AM
The paint job should be *veddy interesting.*From the "Kentucky Fried Rocket" thread :D :

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=11929&postcount=27

Oh, and Dean? You'll be happy to know that I ordered a used copy of Poul Anderson's Tau Zero from Amazon last night, along with Lester del Rey's Runaway Robot.Both books came in the mail on Monday, and I started reading the latter a couple of nights ago. :cool:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
From the "Kentucky Fried Rocket" thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=11929&postcount=27

"If all goes well, the new, improved Prototype II launches tomorrow."Things didn't go so well. I had the day off, and just before 8 a.m. I called the office of the guy who now owns Mom and Dad's old farm. I waited most of the day (and finally took a nap about 2 p.m. -- which I don't get to do on a normal news day :rolleyes: ), but he never called me back.

On the other hand, I still need to spray-paint the "forward" section of the nose cone light gray, *and* the work on the decals seems to be coming along nicely. :cool:

I'm out of town for the next two days attending the annual Idaho Writers League conference in Boise. See ya!

Cheers,

DeanHFox
09-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Both books came in the mail on Monday, and I started reading the latter a couple of nights ago. :cool: Cheers,
I *love* LDR's "Runaway Robot"...I always wanted a robot like Rex. Heck, I would have been happy to BE a robot like Rex! :)

I read quite a bit of LDR's stuff as a kid.

Did you ever read the Winston SF series of books? I collected all 33 of them many years ago, and they're such a treasury of "50's Sci-Fi"... Authors like Clarke, del Rey, Wolheim... and great titles like "The Secret of Saturn's Rings", "Rockets to Nowehere", "Moon of Mutiny" --- they are just so much fun. Some are a little dated...some are a LOT dated...but all good reads and good fun.

P.S. Just re-read Tau Zero, myself...Poul can really conjure up some great imagery!

Tau Zero
10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
TI still need to spray-paint the "forward" section of the nose cone light gray, *and* the work on the decals seems to be coming along nicely.I made it back from Boise in one piece late last night, but didn't get back to rockets until well into this afternoon.

Craig, kudos on the TZ flight today (and to you, Bill, on yours awhile back)! :D :cool:

I managed to spray a third coat of light gray on the nose cone today. I had also sprayed a couple of *very* :rolleyes: light mist clearcoats on the decals. I just now tried to apply the first set, and the inkjet ink ran when I put them in water. :eek:

So I sprayed a rather thick clearcoat on the remaining "test" decal sets, and I'll have to try it again later this week. :o :mad: :(

Thanks, and cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I made it back from Boise in one piece late last night, but didn't get back to rockets until well into this afternoon.

Craig, kudos on the TZ flight today (and to you, Bill, on yours awhile back)! :D :cool:

I managed to spray a third coat of light gray on the nose cone today. I had also sprayed a couple of *very* :rolleyes: light mist clearcoats on the decals. I just now tried to apply the first set, and the inkjet ink ran when I put them in water. :eek:

So I sprayed a rather thick clearcoat on the remaining "test" decal sets, and I'll have to try it again later this week. :o :mad: :(

Thanks, and cheers,

Send me a scan of the decal and I'll give my version the treatment. I'm flush with decal paper and I'm curious as to how the new printer works.

Tau Zero
10-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Send me a scan of the decal and I'll give my version the treatment. I'm flush with decal paper and I'm curious as to how the new printer works.Did you ever figure out that whole 150 vs. 300 dpi scenario? (Granted, that was a couple of printers back...) :rolleyes:

I need to finalize the whole decal sheet, so let me take care of that first... :o

Cheers,

JRThro
10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Did you ever figure out that whole 150 vs. 300 dpi scenario? (Granted, that was a couple of printers back...) :rolleyes:

I need to finalize the whole decal sheet, so let me take care of that first... :o

Cheers,
Jay, any chance you could give us a peek at the preliminary decals?

Tau Zero
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Jay, any chance you could give us a peek at the preliminary decals?I *could,* but it would actually be quite embarrassing, since the only decals on the model *right now* are the cockpit (which you've already seen) and the name "Tau Zero" on the side of the main body tube (but shrunk from the example taped to the ring fin of TZ Pre-Preproduction Prototype "A" elsewhere in this thread).

And then consider the fact that I just bought Paint Shop Pro X earlier this week, and I have to figure out what the heck "vector" images are. :eek: ("What do you mean, I can't use the 'Fill' paint bucket on a Vector layer?" :mad: )

So the bad news is, I'll just have to keep you waiting for awhile. :( The *good* news is, it'll look *way* cooler than it does right now. ;) :D :p

Cheers,

Tau Zero
10-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Send me a scan of the decal and I'll give my version the treatment. I'm flush with decal paper and I'm curious as to how the new printer works.Check your e-mail inbox.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I need to finalize the whole decal sheet, so let me take care of that first...Jay, any chance you could give us a peek at the preliminary decals?I'm getting closer. I think just a roll pattern is holding me up now. :D

Aw, heck, who'm I kidding? I've thought I was already done *twice* now! :eek: :rolleyes:

Still working on it,

Tau Zero
10-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm getting closer. I think just a roll pattern is holding me up now.

Aw, heck, who'm I kidding? I've thought I was already done *twice* now!Well, plenty of you have been waiting for this, so I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves. :p

Except for the fact that I used several characters from the "Interlac" alphabet for some of the initial detailing. (Remember DC Comics' "Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes?" Yeah, that's where Interlac orginally came from.)

However, because I don't want to be the object of a copyright infringement lawsuit, :eek: I'm going to have to radically mutate and otherwise alter those symbols. :rolleyes: At any rate, here's your decal preview. :cool:

Incidentally, the letters in Picture #5 (also visible on the top fin in Picture #2) spell... :rolleyes: "Jay." :o

Chuckling,

CPMcGraw
10-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Well, plenty of you have been waiting for this, so I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves. :p

Tau Zero Or Bust... :rolleyes:

I like it, Jay. Those Interlac characters are convincing, but didn't Estes also use them (or something like them) for one or more of their alien-race models?

Tau Zero
10-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Tau Zero Or Bust... :rolleyes:John Thro's responsible for that one. Both he and I (separately!) managed to come up with "t = 0". ;) :D

I like it, Jay. Those Interlac characters are convincing, but didn't Estes also use them (or something like them) for one or more of their alien-race models?At first I thought the Torellian Invader might use Interlac characters:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1343.htm

But the Xarconian Destroyer is closer:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/est1903.htm

Any others?

Cheers,

Tau Zero
10-26-2006, 01:02 AM
From the "Jay's Tau Zero A-C Launch (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=12394&postcount=52)" thread:Tau Zero Or Bust...I just finished kitting the parts I'll need to build Tau Zero Prototype III... with festive 1.75" x 24" (folded in the middle) crepe paper streamer. :cool:

The third round of test flights with Prototype I in August revealed that a 36" long streamer folded in half provided too much drag for the nose cone, and the "tail first" landing was prone to breaking off the outer fins. :mad:

The C6-5 flight last Saturday (21 Oct) proved that an 18" (non-folded) streamer didn't have *enough* drag to protect the nose cone, but the tail section appeared to be undamaged. :D Hence the intermediate length for *this* go-around.

Wish me luck, eh? :eek:

Bleary-eyed,

Tau Zero
11-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I posted the following response over on TRF:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/printpost.php?s=&threadid=20058&postid=367202

Cheers,

Tau Zero
11-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I posted the following response over on TRF:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/printpost.php?s=&threadid=20058&postid=367202

I just did an old-school "cut and paste" mockup layout for the instruction book cover. (I needed to take a break from writing copious amounts of copy.)I made some more progress on the instructions tonight. I'm taking my source material from SEMROC's ThunderBee and Javelin booklets, and here's a sneak peek of what I've cobbled together so far.

My apologies for the shaky "Middle Aged" camera shots. :o The "release date" is NOT official, but it's Mike Jerauld's birthday, and two years to the day after I designed it.

Can anybody catch the "over the top" joke on the front cover closeup in Picture #2? :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

CPMcGraw
11-13-2006, 12:13 AM
I made some more progress on the instructions tonight. I'm taking my source material from SEMROC's ThunderBee and Javelin booklets, and here's a sneak peek of what I've cobbled together so far.

My apologies for the shaky "Middle Aged" camera shots. :o The "release date" is NOT official, but it's Mike Jerauld's birthday, and two years to the day after I designed it.

Can anybody catch the "over the top" joke on the front cover closeup in Picture #2? :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

Looks like I need to try my hand at working up a few instruction booklets this way. Your joke might not be too off-the-wall for that larger SLS version...:eek:

I also need to finish up my TZ MkII and get some more flying done (and some better photos...). Just need another NC and those tips to get it completed.

You're in the "home stretch" now, Jay! :D

Question: Are you going with the paper-laminate-over-balsa finishing step as an official instruction sequence? Or just leaving that up to the builder?

Carl@Semroc
11-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Can anybody catch the "over the top" joke on the front cover closeup in Picture #2? :p :rolleyes: ;) :DSheryl likes that I am sure! She will want you to help us set prices. :D

They look good so far, Jay! I have to get busy on the 3d model.

ghrocketman
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
If this thing actually goes for the $56.00 as depicted in the second pic above, count me OUT ! :rolleyes:
If it sells for a typical, normal, REALISTIC Semroc price, I will probably order two ! :D

JRThro
11-13-2006, 05:12 PM
If this thing actually goes for the $56.00 as depicted in the second pic above, count me OUT ! :rolleyes:
If it sells for a typical, normal, REALISTIC Semroc price, I will probably order two ! :D
You did see this part of Jay's post, right?

Tau Zero
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Looks like I need to try my hand at working up a few instruction booklets this way.It's actually kind of fun, because when you get tired of typing text, you can go mess with pictures, etc.

Your joke might not be too off-the-wall for that larger SLS version.*Especially* if I go larger than the standard 175%! :eek: :rolleyes:

Bill Eichelberger told me I should get my Level 1 on a 3" Tau Zero. :eek: :cool: (I don't know if Carl's lathe can turn a nose cone big enough to match.)

You're in the "home stretch" now, Jay!It doesn't quite feel like it, Craig! Redrawing the decals could take me a little bit! (And then there's that well-mannered publisher from New York City who keeps gently pestering me for "The REST of the [Tau Zero] Story!) ;) :D

Question: Are you going with the paper-laminate-over-balsa finishing step as an official instruction sequence? Or just leaving that up to the builder?On this kit, I'll just leave it as an unspecified option. But you can be sure that all of *my* Tau Zeroes will use it! :p

Cheers,

Tau Zero
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Happy birthday, GH! :D

If this thing actually goes for the $56.00 as depicted in the second pic above, count me OUT!(straight face) Actually, I *was* thinking about offering the Tau Zero Special GH Rocketman "Inflated Price" Option... but if you *don't* think it's a good idea... ;) :p (chuckling)

The prices on my ThunderBee and Javelin instruction sheets were $5.00 and $6.00, respectively. I just did a little creative editing. ;)

You did see this part of Jay's post, right?(stage whisper) I think he *did,* John. But I was just testing him. :rolleyes: ;)

If it sells for a typical, normal, REALISTIC Semroc price, I will probably order two ! :DThe final price will be up to Carl and crew. But if all goes well, it probably *won't* be $56.00... unless Sheryl REALLY insists on it! :eek:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
I made some more progress on the instructions tonight.After two months in the doldrums, I was finally able to buckle down and make some more progress. A couple of weeks ago (on my birthday, don'tcha know ;) :cool: ), I managed to get pages 6-8 laid out. (Photographic evidence is below.)

Tonight I wrote out assembly steps 16 through 23, which brings us to the Dean H. Fox "Ion Cannon" option, :D followed by the pre-assembly paint section. :rolleyes:

Anyway, maybe I'm over the hump at last. :p

Cheers,

PaulK
01-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Tonight I wrote out assembly steps 16 through 23, which brings us to the Dean H. Fox "Ion Cannon" option, :DLooking good Jay. In my book, the Ion Cannons will be required; and maybe a couple small auxiliary laser cannons too. :cool:

DeanHFox
01-17-2007, 08:51 AM
After two months in the doldrums...<snip>...Tonight I wrote out assembly steps 16 through 23, which brings us to the Dean H. Fox "Ion Cannon" option, :D followed by the pre-assembly paint section. :rolleyes:

Anyway, maybe I'm over the hump at last. :p (sound of Dean chanting in the background, "Go, Jay! Go, Jay, Go!")

I want to fly one of these at NSL, buddy, so hang in there! :D

Tau Zero
01-17-2007, 05:47 PM
After two months in the doldrumsJust in case you missed this bit of creative expression:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=15350&postcount=6

Cheers,

Tau Zero
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
(sound of Dean chanting in the background, "Go, Jay! Go, Jay, Go!")(chuckling) Thanks, buddy! :D

I want to fly one of these at NSL, buddy, so hang in there!Yeah, no pressure *there.* :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

I was hoping to have all of *my* Tau Zero stuff done well before NARAM. --But NARCON's *another* story! (Sorry, all!) And NSL? That will be up to Carl and crew.

Looking good Jay. In my book, the Ion Cannons will be required; and maybe a couple small auxiliary laser cannons too.The auxiliaries will have to implemented by your local Rocket Customizing Shop. :rolleyes: :cool:

Better book that appointment *now,* Paul. ;)

Cheers,

Tau Zero
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
After two months in the doldrums, I was finally able to buckle down and make some more progress. [SNIP]

Anyway, maybe I'm over the hump at last.Rush drummer/lyricist Neil Peart's comments about running into creative roadblocks rang especially true for me:

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/june_06.html

Cheers,

JRThro
01-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Rush drummer/lyricist Neil Peart's comments about running into creative roadblocks rang especially true for me:

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/june_06.html

Cheers,
Jay, I love reading Neil Peart's website!!! Thanks for linking to it. I just spent about 10 minutes reading his entry from last June, which you linked to, and then of course I *had* to read everything else up till his latest entry. Boy, he's a good writer, besides being the best rock drummer on the planet.

And get this: "...all ten drum tracks for Test for Echo had been recorded in two days." That's amazing!

And here's a snipped from his December 8, 2006, entry, describing something he saw during his motorcycle trip from Los Angeles to Toronto:
"Des Moines seemed to be hosting a big vintage tractor event, and I liked seeing all the flatbed trucks and trailers in the opposite lanes carrying shiny old International, John Deere, Allis-Chalmers, Case, Ford, Massey-Ferguson, and Minneapolis-Moline tractors, and even a few massive old combines freshly restored. (You can take the boy out of the barn and the farm equipment dealership, but . . . )"

Does this remind you of anyone in particular who has an interest in Old Rockets?

Jay, I hope you don't mind this *major* excursion off the actual topic.

Tau Zero
01-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Jay, I love reading Neil Peart's website!!! Thanks for linking to it. [SNIP] Boy, he's a good writer, besides being the best rock drummer on the planet.

"...John Deere, Allis-Chalmers, Case, Ford, Massey-Ferguson, and Minneapolis-Moline tractors, and even a few massive old combines freshly restored. (You can take the boy out of the barn and the farm equipment dealership, but . . . )"

Does this remind you of anyone in particular who has an interest in Old Rockets?[/i](holding head in hands) Dear God, *please* don't mention Persian Orange. :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Oops, I've gone and done it myself. :p

Hands down, Neil's my favorite drummer. And lyricist. (Notice my .sig. :o )

Cheers,

Tau Zero
12-08-2008, 01:06 AM
(sound of Dean chanting in the background, "Go, Jay! Go, Jay, Go!")

I want to fly one of these at NSL, buddy, so hang in there! :DWe'll have to see *which* NSL the Tau Zero will be available for.

(Announcer's voice) "Stay tuned right here to YORF for *official* announcements." ;) :cool:

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Hands down, Neil's my favorite drummer. And lyricist. (Notice my .sig. :o )

Cheers,

"Jay's SEMROC "Tau Zero" -- Coming Real Soon Now"
Neil wrote that? Which song is that from? :rolleyes: ;)

Tau Zero
12-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Neil wrote that? Which song is that from? :rolleyes: ;)I don't recall the title, but I think it had to do with the wacky contradictions that you run into while time traveling. :confused:

Or something like that. :eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers,

JRThro
12-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Neil wrote that? Which song is that from? :rolleyes: ;)
Isn't it from "Countdown"?

Tau Zero
12-15-2008, 01:26 AM
So earlier tonight I had this compulsion to rebuild my "Tau Zero" design from scratch in RockSim 8. In recent months I've accumulated some new and different techniques for designing rockets in RS, and I used them during the reconstruction effort. :cool:

In the process, I found that RS actually found this TZ version stable, :eek: even though I didn't use Bruce S. Levison's technique for simulating ring fins. (That would probably add some drag to this design, thereby lowering the overall altitudes as well as the deployment velocities.)

Oh, *sure.* *Now* I think of some variables that I should have added. :o :rolleyes: At any rate, here are some screen captures of the results, as well as a preview of a similar version in RS9. (I ordered the $40 v.8 to v.9 upgrade on Friday, and having a CD-ROM shipped to me only cost an additional $7.40. :cool: )

Cheers,

tbzep
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
:p LOL! Where's Jay? :confused:

I'm going to burst his bubble and report that the Tau Zero is available now! :cool:

Tau Zero (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KN-2)

DeanHFox
12-16-2008, 09:29 PM

I'm going to burst his bubble and report that the Tau Zero is available now! :cool:

Tau Zero (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KN-2)

.Yup, already ordered my first one. Poul Anderson would be proud. :D

Tau Zero
12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Yup, already ordered my first one. Poul Anderson would be proud. :DDean,

I included a special science fiction short story just for you. :o

Well, okay, you and everybody else who buys the kit. :rolleyes:

Thanks, buddy! You are the "Ion Cannon Man!" :eek: :cool:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Tau Zero (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KN-2).Dang! Now I have to edit my .sig file that says, "Coming Real Soon Now!" :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :chuckle:

Cheers,

pantherjon
12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
When did Carl make it active??:confused: I was just on the site Monday and it said 'coming soon' still..But, regardless, I was going to ask when it would be available!:chuckle::cool:

Guess a SEMROC order is in the works for very shortly!:D

Tau Zero
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Jon,

When did Carl make it active??:confused:Actually, it was Sheryl, about 4 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesday, December 16th. ;) :D

I was just on the site Monday and it said 'coming soon' still..But, regardless, I was going to ask when it would be available!:cool:

Guess a SEMROC order is in the works for very shortly!I recommend that you get at least *one* of everything. :eek: :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Cheers,

tbzep
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Jon,

Actually, it was Sheryl, about 4 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesday, December 16th. ;) :D

I recommend that you get at least *one* of everything. :eek: :rolleyes: :chuckle:

Cheers,

Just how many times an hour have you been clicking on that Semroc page, Jay? :eek: :D

Tau Zero
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Just how many times an hour have you been clicking on that Semroc page, Jay? :eek: :DTim,

*All* of them. (The hours, I mean. :eek: ;) :D )

Cheers,

Tau Zero
12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
For those of you who are building a SEMROC "Tau Zero," please drop me a line at the following address, if you would, please:

tau (underscore) zero (at) earthlink (dot) net

Thanks!

pantherjon
12-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Line dropped! ;)

Tau Zero
05-06-2020, 11:29 PM
Given your YORF "handle," a Concept Scale model rocket kit of *this* [SNIP] famous starship, the Leonora Christine, might interest you. Semroc, Sirius Rocketry, Rocketarium, Morerockets.com, or another manufacturer (even Estes or Quest, if they fancy her as a Concept Scale subject) could produce a good-looking (and flying) Leonora Christine kit.My question is would those versions even resemble the description in the book? I defer to my compatriot Dean Fox:
You got me thinking about Poul Anderson's Tau Zero again with that post, and I just wanted to share with the other forum members his description of the starship from that book:

From Chapter 2:

Seen from one of the shuttles that brought her crew to her, Leonora Christine resembled a dagger pointing at the stars.

Her hull was a conoid, tapering toward the bow. Its burnished smoothness seemed ornamented rather than broken by the exterior fittings. These were locks and hatches; sensors for instruments; housings for the two boats that would make the planetfalls for which she herself was not designed; and the web of the Bussard ramjet, now folded flat. The base of the conoid was quite broad, since it contained the reaction mass among other things; but the length was too great for this to be particularly noticeable.

At the top of the dagger blade, a structure fanned out which you might have imagined to be the guard of a basket hilt. Its rim supported eight skeletal cylinders pointing aft. These were the thrust tubes, that accelerated the reaction mass backward when the ship moved at merely interplanetary speeds. The "basket" enclosed their controls and power plant.

Beyond this, darker in hue, extended the haft of the dagger, ending finally in an intricate pommel. The latter was the Bussard engine, the rest was shielding against its radiation when it should be activated.

Thus Leonora Christine, seventh and youngest of her class.

I've never been able to get that imagery out of my head. :)

Tau Zero
05-07-2020, 12:01 AM
Leonora Christine from Poul Anderson's "Tau Zero," by Manchu
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarshipPorn/comments/3fdhng/the_leonora_christine_from_poul_andersons_tau/

Bob Eggleton's take on it:
http://www.artnet.com/artists/bob-eggleton/tau-zero-hJmPbzstRPmIRzCtP482Bg2

Unknown artist:
https://full-english-books.net/english-books/full-book-tau-zero-read-online

Makoto Kitazawa's vision in yarn:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/m19680621/5672044728

Finally, concepts of "real" Bussard ramjet spacecraft (see attached):

My point is, "Your lightyears may vary" when it comes to trying to model a "real" ramjet craft and trying to make it flightworthy for atmospheric maneuvers. :D

Thanks for playing! :D

snaquin
05-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Hey, Jay ... cool Olde Rocket thread :)
It's been a while ....

Tau Zero
05-07-2020, 06:20 PM
Hey, Jay ... cool Olde Rocket thread :)
It's been a while ....Yes, indeed. The years fly by. :confused:

Newly minted for this thread: "Your lightyears may vary." :eek: ;) :D