PDA

View Full Version : I've found a few old kits...

foamy
01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi folks, first time poster here. I've uncovered a few old kits that I never built: Two 70's era Centuri kits: Nova Payloader and Javelin and an Estes E.R.A. Nomad (the twin gliders on a booster rocket)? I'd like to build 'em—should I? Is there any value in having the kits?

I really like the two-color display card art in the two Centuri kits—great stuff and I'll be mounting those. That brings up another question: The (modified) display card art would make great T-shirts, that and I found an old T-shirt transfer decal of the Centuri logo in the same box of stuff. Would recreating the display cards for T's, along with the Centuri logo be unethical and more importantly—plagerisim and/or copyright infringement? Even if it wasn't for profit? I'm very tempted to do a couple of shirts just for myself (if no one else). I'd like to have your opinions on that as I see from reading the forum (been lurking a while) that these are concerns for old-school rocketeers—and I'm glad of that and I'd value your opinions.

This is my third go-round as a model rocket builder. I started in the early seventies as a young teen, picked it up again when I had children and now again, just because I found a handful of kits and decided it'd be fun to do again (and it is).

Cheers!
Steve

ghrocketman
01-05-2011, 08:59 AM
None of those are particulary rare or valuable.
Build and enjoy.

Brain
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Welcome, Steve!

I only chimed in because your history is a duplicate of mine. I think there's a LOT of that around here! :D

gpoehlein
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Welcome back to the hobby, Steve!

In regards to your question, I vote with GH - build them and enjoy. Before you do build them, though, take measurements of all parts, scan the fins and any other parts that are paper or card and will be used in the construction (transitions, shrouds, wraps or fin guides) and keep with the instructions - that way, you can always clone or repair the rocket at a later date using parts from Semroc, BMS and others.

My other suggestions is to find a club to fly with. I, like you, flew as a youngster. Then I flirted with it briefly about 20 years ago but dropped back out because finding a launch field was so difficult. Then, just about 5-6 years ago, I got back in again. This time I hooked up with the local NAR chapter and having regular launches, a great launch site and others who share my insanity have kept me in it. I'm going just as strong in rocketry today as I was when I first came back and I credit most of that to the camaraderie of my peers!

Greg

foamy
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Brain and thanks! Funny how that works, huh? Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks ghrocketman, I didn't think so, but I had to ask. The fins in those kits are a far cry from the laser-cuts of today (none match very well), but I'm gonna build 'em anyway.

Hi Greg, thanks to you too and those are some very good suggestions which I will heed. I never thought about the NAR, but it would be good to find some like-minded folks like myself (a knucklehead) to share the hobby with. Thanks again.

Anyone have thoughts on the second half of my query?

jetlag
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Welcome, Steve!
While I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV!), I would think if you printed a few shirts for your and a few of the mates' here pleasure, it would be OK. Personal use kind of thing. However, if you want to duplicate an image from a card or catalogue and sell a bunch of'em, there might be a copyright issue.
But I think if the quantity is limited, to you and a few of us, there should not be too much of a problem. You can change the image slightly (colors, orientation, etc.), and then it would be yours to do with as you please!

My 2 cents!
Allen

foamy
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the reply Allen. That's just about what I was thinking. Unless anyone has particularly contrary views/logic, I think I may do that.

I'm an old Centuri fanboy—it's the brand they sold at the hobby shop of my youth. I was sad to learn of their demise. I was also saddened when they wised-up and quit packing their motors in conveniently sized tubes.

Bazookadale
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
They're not rockets until they have been flown - so get busy building.

dyaugo
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Welcome back to the hobby, Steve!

In regards to your question, I vote with GH - build them and enjoy. Before you do build them, though, take measurements of all parts, scan the fins and any other parts that are paper or card and will be used in the construction (transitions, shrouds, wraps or fin guides) and keep with the instructions - that way, you can always clone or repair the rocket at a later date using parts from Semroc, BMS and others.

My other suggestions is to find a club to fly with. I, like you, flew as a youngster. Then I flirted with it briefly about 20 years ago but dropped back out because finding a launch field was so difficult. Then, just about 5-6 years ago, I got back in again. This time I hooked up with the local NAR chapter and having regular launches, a great launch site and others who share my insanity have kept me in it. I'm going just as strong in rocketry today as I was when I first came back and I credit most of that to the camaraderie of my peers!

Greg

Same story as Greg....I'm also insane. Not only do I collect rockets, but have an extensive collection of road cones and garden tools

foamy
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
They're not rockets until they have been flown - so get busy building.

Never thought of it that way... you're absolutely correct.

I did build the easiest of the lot I'd re-discovered. An Estes Outlaw (not a real build) and it's companion Black Diamond, er, Viking or whatever else they've called that kit over the years. First time dealing with paper fins. Not so keen on them, but it went together all right. It took more time to paint it than it did to build it.

foamy
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Same story as Greg....I'm also insane. Not only do I collect rockets, but have an extensive collection of road cones and garden tools

Geez, I didn't think anyone was as bad as me. I'll collect almost anything. Believe it or not I do have a nice new road cone (ah, it was "collected" a couple of years ago) and plenty of garden tools, many of the same kind—just different vintages. I also collect playing cards, lighters, tiki mugs, matchbooks, tin robots, NASA mission stickers and patches (actually got to design the C.O.L.B.E.R.T. patch) plastic model car kits which I will never get around to building, any art that really strikes me that I can afford and stuff that just isn't coming to mind right now. I'm gonna have to purge sometime soon.

Solomoriah
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I did build the easiest of the lot I'd re-discovered. An Estes Outlaw (not a real build) and it's companion Black Diamond, er, Viking or whatever else they've called that kit over the years. First time dealing with paper fins. Not so keen on them, but it went together all right. It took more time to paint it than it did to build it.
I re-started with that set. I gave the Outlaw to my daughter, then managed to lose the Black Diamond on a C6-7.

Now I have a truckload of rockets, more than I ever had as a kid, and they look better (since my crappy building skills have been upgraded by experience, patience, and guidance from others on this forum).

I don't think you said... what part of the world do you call home? Possibly some of us are near you.

ghrocketman
01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Road Cones ????
Gotta give a WTH to that.
I can understand collecting items that may only have a SLIM chance of increasing in value that may have a personal functional use, but see no sense in collecting items that have ZERO personal use nor any chance of appreciating in value.
Unless one owns their own personal go-kart or race car track, not only are road cones WORTHless, they are also USEless for anything but taking up space. Holding onto a SINGLE cone just for humor value I can understand.

ROAD CONES ???
Is this for real ?
C'mon now....I could see more use in collecting vintage bags of peat moss.

jeffyjeep
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Geez, I didn't think anyone was as bad as me. I'll collect almost anything. Believe it or not I do have a nice new road cone (ah, it was "collected" a couple of years ago) and plenty of garden tools, many of the same kind—just different vintages. I also collect playing cards, lighters, tiki mugs, matchbooks, tin robots, NASA mission stickers and patches (actually got to design the C.O.L.B.E.R.T. patch) plastic model car kits which I will never get around to building, any art that really strikes me that I can afford and stuff that just isn't coming to mind right now. I'm gonna have to purge sometime soon.
Aye, carumba! Where do you keep all of this stuff? The Hindenburg hangar at Lakehurst? :D

foamy
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think you said... what part of the world do you call home? Possibly some of us are near you.

Ah, the Land of Pleasant Living—the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Moved back here about eight years ago after spending 25+ years in Philly and South Jersey. Realized what a lovely place this is to live and have decided to stay. Now, if I could just find work around here. As it is, I commute to DC which leaves a lot to be desired. Alas.

I heard ya about that C6-7. Anticipating such a recurrence (if there's one of those motors around—it 'll happen), I painted it dark purple and fluorescent orange so that I might be able to find it next Winter when all the foliage is gone. Oddly, I've found quite a few rockets that I thought were gone for good—some, years afterwards. Not that they were flyable, mind you.

foamy
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Aye, carumba! Where do you keep all of this stuff? The Hindenburg hangar at Lakehurst? :D

Well... it's problem. Those things don't take up too much space. It's the bicycles (one of the things I forgot) that are the pain in the butt. The missus is very patient with me, but as I mentioned—gotta do a purge here soon.

As far as the traffic cone goes, I just have the one. Whenever our crew goes to a regatta, we take it with us. It's sometimes very useful.

Bill
01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Road Cones ????
Gotta give a WTH to that.
I can understand collecting items that may only have a SLIM chance of increasing in value that may have a personal functional use, but see no sense in collecting items that have ZERO personal use nor any chance of appreciating in value.
Unless one owns their own personal go-kart or race car track, not only are road cones WORTHless, they are also USEless for anything but taking up space. Holding onto a SINGLE cone just for humor value I can understand.

ROAD CONES ???
Is this for real ?
C'mon now....I could see more use in collecting vintage bags of peat moss.

Some people have been known to fly those...

Bill

UCBadger
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Same story as Greg....I'm also insane. Not only do I collect rockets, but have an extensive collection of road cones and garden toolsAs to the road cones, just how do you "collect" them? :chuckle:

Spaceclipper
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi Foamy,
I'm right up the road a'piece from you on the Eastern Shore in Cecil County. I fly at MDRA too.
I've seen road cones turned into rockets and fly quite well. I think I first saw one in a Rocketman LDRS or Balls video, don't remember now will have to re-watch all of my rocket videos now :D
I too have various collections to the large frustrations of the wife. Model cars, planes, ships (wood and plastic), dinosaurs, Sci-Fi, figures, comic books, horror and science fiction movies, VW items (air cooled era), and of course rockets everywhere.... oh well..also tea pots, I know that's a weird one....!

foamy
01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Foamy,
I'm right up the road a'piece from you on the Eastern Shore in Cecil County. I fly at MDRA too.

snip.... oh well..also tea pots, I know that's a weird one....!

Tea pots? I guess that's no different than shot glasses, which is another little collection I have going.

Spaceclipper, where and what is MDRA?

Solomoriah
01-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Collections... comic books, 30's and 40's era black desk phones, and of course rockets...

foamy
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Collections... comic books, 30's and 40's era black desk phones, and of course rockets...

You have good taste.

I don't collect comic books (threw 2 large boxes of them away before I was aware they were collectable), but I still have a box load and I really like the old desk phones—particularly the ones with the metal dailers and white number spots with red numbers.

Spaceclipper
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Yep, tea pots. They're miniature ones, ceramic, metal, etc. I have no idea how I got started with that. I love tea, so that was the start of it.
Comics I collect are Super Duck from the 40's, all manner of EC comics from the 50's- Tales from The Crypt, Vault of Horror, Incredible Science Fiction, Mad, etc.

MDRA is Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association, really good group. They will be hosting the 1:9th scale Saturn 1B launches of Steve Ives and Vern (forgot last name :( ) this spring.
We're having a launch this weekend. All modes of rocketry from micro-max to P motors , commercial and exp . Also home field to Dr. Zooch! (or one of his home fields).
Link:: http://www.mdrocketry.org/

jeffyjeep
01-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Yep, tea pots. They're miniature ones, ceramic, metal, etc. I have no idea how I got started with that. I love tea, so that was the start of it.
Comics I collect are Super Duck from the 40's, all manner of EC comics from the 50's- Tales from The Crypt, Vault of Horror, Incredible Science Fiction, Mad, etc.

MDRA is Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association, really good group. They will be hosting the 1:9th scale Saturn 1B launches of Steve Ives and Vern (forgot last name :( ) this spring.
We're having a launch this weekend. All modes of rocketry from micro-max to P motors , commercial and exp . Also home field to Dr. Zooch! (or one of his home fields).
No "FREAK BROTHERS" comics?

foamy
01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
No "FREAK BROTHERS" comics?

Hmmm, I found a "Zap" in a box in the attic a couple of months ago. Great stuff. I know I had some "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers," "Tales of the Leather Nun" and various and assorted other underground comics, but dogged if I know what happened to them. Maybe they'll turn up one day.

I posted in "Wanted Dead or Alive" for anyone that might have late sixties, early seventies Centuri kit cards from their packaging. I'd like to mount four and frame them. If anyone possesses one or some, I'd be glad to buy 'em from you. That, or if you could do high-res scans, that 'd be cool as well. Anyone?

Ordered some kits from Semroc—those buggers are the Katz PJ's! First time I've bought a kit since the early nineties and man—what a difference twenty years make.

foamy
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Hey Spaceclipper, thanks for the link! I'm not far at all from Higg's farm. I'd like to come up this Sunday (if obligations permit) and bring my gal to watch you folks have some fun. I had looked but didn't find any MD/DE clubs. I've never been to an organized launch before, let alone see any HPR's. I'm gonna try to work this out. Thanks again!

kevinj
01-13-2011, 12:03 PM
NARHAMS is the Maryland NAR club, but we're not all that convenient to the ES. We fly in Frederick County right now.

kj

foamy
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
NARHAMS is the Maryland NAR club, but we're not all that convenient to the ES. We fly in Frederick County right now.

kj

Yeah, I found you folks on the NAR club listings, but you're right—it 'd be a bit of a hoof for me.

Spaceclipper
01-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Your welcome ! Tommy serves up barbecue too, worth the price of admission for his barbecue chicken... :D It's a great field , lots of model rockets as well as mid and high power.
I have some Fabulous Furry Freak brothers comics and Zap! comics as well. Robert Crumb turned out some great comics and has an unmistakable art style.

foamy
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Your welcome ! Tommy serves up barbecue too, worth the price of admission for his barbecue chicken... :D It's a great field , lots of model rockets as well as mid and high power.
I have some Fabulous Furry Freak brothers comics and Zap! comics as well. Robert Crumb turned out some great comics and has an unmistakable art style.

Crumb has released an illustrated "Book of Genesis" just a few months ago. Classic R. Crumb style (his signature thick-limbed women) and amazingly—it's not irreverent at all. He sticks to the story line. Still wish I had my old "Stoned Again" poster.

foamy
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Went to the field yesterday to see if your club was flying (about a half hour from my home). They were. Saw my first mid and high-power flights, not to mention flying Christmas trees and a multi-colored rocket motor bonfire (quite warm). Spoke with Tommy and some other club members. What a great bunch of folks. They made us (my gal and me) feel welcome and patiently answered my uninformed questions. It's no wonder you're a member—really cool people who have their act together, like to have fun and know how to go about it. And what a nice local for launching rockets. I had no idea. 17 or so thousand feet of airspace? No wonder the big rockets show up. I thought that stuff only went down in the western deserts. I got something of an education and was mightily impressed. We'll be back next month with (hopefully) some younger minds to impress and warp.

Thanks again for mentioning them.