PDA

View Full Version : A New Old Ranger

Phred
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, I have been working on this ESTES Ranger clone for a few years now. It was one of my first clones, and I originally built it in 2002, painted it with a yellow bottom section, a white payload section, and a red NC.

I managed to lose the payload section at a club launch in 2003. The bottom section sat in the basement since the... awaiting a new payload section.

A few weeks ago, I was digging through my parts box, and found an original ESTES BT-60 payload section with a balsa block and original balsa nose cone. So I started finishing the Ranger.

I painted this puppy about two weeks ago in Damon era yellow, black, white and red, and did the black stripes as decals.

Finally, I gave it a coat of Future two night ago.

To ensure I get it back, I attached the payload and main airframe sections, and rebuilt an old pre-damon ESTES chute from the parts box.

I really like this older noseconde shape, which is longer than the present Big Bertha style plastic NC.

Now if the weather will hold, I intend to launch it on Saturday at he club launch on 3 C6-5s !!

Phred

Vanel
05-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Very nice, Phred! Thumbs way up :D

stefanj
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Original parachute! Very commendable.

You can buy the balsa cone from BMS. It took a while to convince Bill that the balsa predecessor to the blunt "Bertha" plastic cone was longer and more conical.

The Ranger really moves even on three B motors. You might reconsider using Cs for your first flight. Three B6-6s should give a good flight with a hope of recovery. Consider that this is the equivalent of a "D18"!

Tau Zero
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I painted this puppy about two weeks ago in Damon era yellow, black, white and red, and did the black stripes as decals. [SNIP]

To ensure I get it back, I attached the payload and main airframe sections, and rebuilt an old pre-damon ESTES chute from the parts box.*Veddy* nice, Phred. Nicely done! :D

I really like this older nosecone shape, which is longer than the present Big Bertha style plastic NC.(stroking chin) I wonder if young Mr. McLawhorn has replicated the "old-school" version. Hmm...

Cheers,

--Jay

Phred
05-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Stefan: I luanched my COBRA clone a two weeks ago on 3 C6-5s at our local section launch, and the flight was fantastic!! The COBRA is a bit more aerodynamic than the Ranger, so I see no problem with a load of three C6-5s at our club field.
Anywhere else... and we are going with Bs... I have flown the COBRA on A8-3s, but that was kind of a waste....

Ph

ghrocketman
05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
I say dig up some old B14-5's or B8-5's.....that'll get that thing moving in a HURRY !
I launched my Ranger last year on 3 B14-5's and it took off in a blur !

dwmzmm
05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Was talking to John Pursley on the phone late last night about the good old days of model
rocketry, and he just happen to mention digging up parts to build a clone of the Estes Ranger. We were talking about what neat Estes models we liked from the 1960's catalogs &
he specifically mentioned his enjoyment of building and flying the Astron Ranger back in
those days...

A while back, I purchased the Baby Bertha at half price at Hobby Lobby with the intent of
using it to build a clone of the Astron Ranger. However, my very first cluster model built and
flown in 1969 was none other than the Estes 1/100 Saturn - V. Tried using the paperclip
method of wiring the igniters; only two of three C6's ignited, but the model still flew ok.