PDA

View Full Version : Semroc logo rocket kit?

blackshire
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello All,

I was just looking at the "rocket-transecting-sign" Semroc logo on the Semroc web site www.semroc.com when a thought came to me:

Since Semroc produces a kit of the "Launch Missile" (from the logo [or is it called the "masthead?"] on the front cover of each issue of "Launch" magazine), how about if they produced a kit of the rocket that appears in their own logo? From the look of it, an Astro-1/Astrobee 350 nose cone with a 1.04" diameter ST-10 body tube would be a good "fit."

What d'y'all think?

Carl@Semroc
01-24-2011, 11:35 PM
The logo rocket is unremarkable when not in high perspective. It is a BT-20 13" long with sort of Explorer fins.

blackshire
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM
The logo rocket is unremarkable when not in high perspective. It is a BT-20 13" long with sort of Explorer fins.But simple *is* beautiful! (Thank you for posting the "non-perspective, perpendicular" view of the Semroc logo rocket.)

Doug Sams
01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
The logo rocket is unremarkable when not in high perspective. It is a BT-20 13" long with sort of Explorer fins.It looks like a stretched, 4-finned Astron Mark :)

Doug

BEC
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I agree with Jason ... There's beauty in simplicity. I'm thinking "Carlisle mini"...:)

CPMcGraw
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Here's a quick interpretation of that design. It may be a little longer than what Carl mentioned, but I think I got the proportions right. I worked up the graphics in Corel DRAW.

Length: 15.25"
Diameter: 0.736" (BT-20)
Fin Span: 2.74"
Weight: 0.4 oz

1/4 A3-3T......134'......Dv 12 FPS
1/2 A3-4T......318'......Dv 9 FPS
A3-4T..........640'......Dv 20 FPS

This model doesn't need full-tilt 18mm engines. 13mm A3's are plenty enough to lose it.

Enjoy!

Carl@Semroc
01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
It is deceptive. The fins are somewhat smaller and the nose cone is an ogive 3.0" long (which we don't have right now.)

It was tweaked to get the right look in perspective mode. Even the decal was stretched to make it look right. I agree on the 13mm engines. BT-20 and ST-7 models are getting too small for 18mm engines in the fields that are still available around here.

Thanks Craig. You are fast with the Rocksim and Corel. :D

BEC
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Well, let us know when the nose cone and the laser-cut fin set is available and we'll take it from there <GD&R>! For that matter, the fins are simple - we can cut 'em. And a 2.95 inch ogive (BNC-20G4) oughta be plenty close enough! :D

Here's an OpenRocket file with a "T" motor mount in it, based on the .rkt file Carl posted. An "A" is plenty.

Fins changed to rounded edges, nose cone changed to 2.95 inch BNC-20G4, along with the mini motor mount with hook.

CPMcGraw
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
So, here's the fin sheet for Carl's 'death ray'... :D

CPMcGraw
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Three versions, one each for CDR 10 and 12, and one PNG...

blackshire
01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow--I feel like a shaggy-hoofed unicorn...I just expressed a thought, and now it's manifest!

Thank you all VERY much for creating the detailed design, the fin pattern, and the decal sheet design, and for calculating the performance specifications & recommended motors list for the "Death Ray!" Besides being sharp-looking, this rocket would also be a good kit for schools, Scout troops, 4-H Clubs, and Camp Fire USA groups. It is amply over-stable, it can fly either high or low, as needed (depending on the flying field size) *and* cheaply on 13 mm mini motors, and it is large enough to be visible throughout its flight profile.

Semroc's "winged spaceship logo" (see Carl's avatar in Replies #2 and #7) could also yield an interesting kit (and a boost-glider, no less!). I had always thought that it was a recent design akin to the horizontal takeoff & landing, jet/rocket powered Pioneer Rocketplane suborbital spacecraft/reusable satellite launch vehicle first stage, but with outward-angled vertical stabilizers on its wing tips instead of the single fuselage-mounted vertical stabilizer in the Pioneer Rocketplane design. Looking through Danny Sagstetter's "Rocketeer Collector's Journal" (RCJ) issues, I found this "winged spaceship logo" on the cover of Semroc Astronautics' "1969 Model Astronautics Catalog," which was reproduced on the cover of the January 1997 issue of RCJ, so Carl was ahead of his time!

I'm not requesting another kit design "instant manifestation"--iridescent gold cloven hooves and a spiral-wound allicorn look great, but they would look out of place on me. :-)