PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Rocketry: News Release 051606-New Products

Sirius Rocketry
05-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Sirius Rocketry announces the release of the new Interrogator, in two different sizes!

Shown at NARCON 2006, the Interrogator is now available at Sirius Rocketry!

We originally prototyped this kit in two different sizes.

Since we really could not decide on which size to release it in (and both sizes were popular at NARCON), we released it in both sizes!

The Interrogator is a unique new design that also pays homage in many ways to the great Near-Space Fighter Plane designs of both yesterday and today, and includes TONS of waterslide decals that make it another Sirius Rocketry signature kit.

The standard Interrogator and the Mid-Power Interrogator (limited 1st edition) are both available now at our website along with other new products introduced at NARCON, including several new decal sheets. If you have not stopped by in a while, stop by our new and improved webstore and look around!

Both editions of the Interrogator available for a limited time in numbered editions.

http://www.davidjmiller.net/Interrogator11.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2006, 12:55 AM
SOLD!
(Keeping up with the Goemmer's. ;) )
:cool:

Tau Zero
05-16-2006, 01:39 AM
SOLD!
:cool:I saw Dave's "Official Press Release" post on Monday night, and went, "Gulp! Gotta get back to building the "advance release" 18mm version that Dave sent me last week!" :eek:

I got the construction about half done either Friday or Saturday night. (With Mother's Day this weekend, the days all blurred together.) My Interrogator is now about 3/4 done. :cool:

But lemme tell ya... those decals are gonna be a *major* endeavor! :eek: ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

P.S. And *yes,* I'll be letting pretty much the entire planet know about it! In the meantime, just "Hold yer horses!" :p

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2006, 02:58 AM
P.S. And *yes,* I'll be letting pretty much the entire planet know about it! In the meantime, just "Hold yer horses!" :p

With some nice, sunny pics of the build, eh?

BTW, I almost got the 18mm one, but I figured I'd be happier with the upscale in the long run. (The inevitable creep toward high power? :confused: )

Sirius Rocketry
05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
SOLD!
:cool:

LOL!

BTW Bill, you were so quick on the trigger that you were shipped the MP Interrogator #1...

Congrats and thanks for the order, it is already on the way...

Dave

Bob H
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
LOL!

BTW Bill, you were so quick on the trigger that you were shipped the MP Interrogator #1...

Congrats and thanks for the order, it is already on the way...

Dave

WOW Bill, You're Number 1. :eek:

Actually, I don't care which number I get, as long as I get one. :)

I ordered a MP version also since it's the limited edition and might go back and get the little one later.

Sirius Rocketry
05-17-2006, 06:33 PM
WOW Bill, You're Number 1. :eek:

Actually, I don't care which number I get, as long as I get one. :)

I ordered a MP version also since it's the limited edition and might go back and get the little one later.

Bob, you are being taken care of right at this moment! You do get one! :-) Although at the rate these things are going, I would advise folks hurry up on the MP version. It is going faster than I thought it would. This may just inspire us to work on the HPR edition we were thinking about.

The regular standard version is nothing to sneeze at either, and it also includes a couple of neat shortcuts and helpers to make it a relatively quick build.... remember the initials PRM? How about PPPRM?

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-17-2006, 06:46 PM
:( I can't build kit #1! My name would be cursed for all eternity.
Ah, well. Back to the penny jar. :rolleyes:

Bob H
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
:( I can't build kit #1! My name would be cursed for all eternity....

I think you're over reacting..... Most people will forget about it in 50 - 60 years. :p

Sirius Rocketry
05-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I think you're over reacting..... Most people will forget about it in 50 - 60 years. :p

And so will I, I plan on being dead by then!

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM

I'm 43. If that's not my eternity, I need to start taking better care of myself. :eek:

DeanHFox
05-17-2006, 09:45 PM
We should have Scott H. do a scattergram of the ages of the folks on this forum. Somehow, I suspect there'd be a big clump of us in the 40-50 range. :)

Sirius Rocketry
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
We should have Scott H. do a scattergram of the ages of the folks on this forum. Somehow, I suspect there'd be a big clump of us in the 40-50 range. :)

I'll scattergram right in there about six months behind Bill. Which is why some of those kits that have been coming out of my shop have the flavor that they do...I was just that age when....

DeanHFox
05-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh, lordie. David's numbering his kits, now, too. Great. If either of my Interrogators has a low number, I'll need to buy another one to keep the original stashed for those hypothetical future hordes of kit collectors! :)

David, you were just parked too close to Carl at NARCON! He's giving you all those good ideas for making more money! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-17-2006, 10:05 PM

The high school class of '80 seems to be a pretty popular one in the hobby. (God knows it had to be good for something.)

Sirius Rocketry
05-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Oh, lordie. David's numbering his kits, now, too. Great. If either of my Interrogators has a low number, I'll need to buy another one to keep the original stashed for those hypothetical future hordes of kit collectors! :)

David, you were just parked too close to Carl at NARCON! He's giving you all those good ideas for making more money! :D

Yes, I was parked too close to Carl... But what a great family to be parked near! I want to adopt them! My wife especially does, and she has been filing the paperwork. She wanted a rush put on for Bruce. But Scott Hansen really is to blame for the numbering thing because I talked to him about this a bit a while back, and really he gave me an answer along the lines of "you can or you can't, you will or you won't" so I just went ahead and did it for the first few anyway...I really can't count that high, so I really did not number that many...

(Please take none of this literally, I have been packing many boxes tonight and am well ready for bed after a day of teenage son angst and stuff... all you 42-43 somethings out there can identify with that! :-) )

As far as making more money, well, I have about 25 other kits along this line in the queue, and if making just a bit of money makes it possible for me to finance the next project, then it will be just like the Saturn financing the Atlantis financing the Interrogator financing the MPR Interrogator financing my son's speeding ticket...

Bill Said:

"The high school class of '80 seems to be a pretty popular one in the hobby. (God knows it had to be good for something.)

High School Class of '81 here.... '80 MUST have had us beat, because everyone I met in the hobby at the time was always 1 year older than me...

DeanHFox
05-17-2006, 11:00 PM
So it's really SCOTT I should be harassing for those extra dollars flying out of my wallet?

I'll get you, Scott...just wait for the next WOOSH meeting. :)

Keep the great designs coming, David...we'll keep buyin' em.

Tau Zero
05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
The regular standard version is nothing to sneeze at either, and it also includes a couple of neat shortcuts and helpers to make it a relatively quick build.... remember the initials PRM? How about PPPRM?Dave,

I ran into some difficulty with the "new" (to me) PRM process. I used (GASP!) yellow glue instead of white, and then piled only one heavy book on top of it, instead of my usual half-dozen. The balsa ended up warping, :eek: so I used the "old-school" fin patterns and cut out replacements last night. I'll have to use card stock to replicate your PRM for this particular "Interrogator." :o

Aside from that, I drove by the field that the summer Science Camp uses for rockets has little tiny shoots coming up... so I'll have to rustle up *another* field. :mad: ;)

Oh, and my home computer's in the shop until Friday, so I'm posting this from work. My boss asked, "It's Thursday *already?*" :p

Cheers,

--Jay

Ltvscout
05-18-2006, 07:54 AM
The high school class of '80 seems to be a pretty popular one in the hobby. (God knows it had to be good for something.)
Heh, the best line we could come up with was, "'80 is greaty." Ughh! :o

Ltvscout
05-18-2006, 07:56 AM
But Scott Hansen really is to blame for the numbering thing because I talked to him about this a bit a while back, and really he gave me an answer along the lines of "you can or you can't, you will or you won't" so I just went ahead and did it for the first few anyway...I really can't count that high, so I really did not number that many...
No one ever blamed me for being able to make up my mind. ;)

DeanHFox
05-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Heh...yeah, I have to admit, it was a lot easier to rhyme '79..."We are tough, we lay it on the line, we're the class of '79".

Now all you 80's young 'uns should quiet down so grandpa can get back to sleep. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-18-2006, 06:27 PM

We batted that around in our journalism class that year. The best one that anyone came up with was "Partyin' hard, havin' babies, we're the class of 1980". The girl who thought that up was always coming up with things like that. She gave the whole class nicknames, most of which remain unprintable.
Then again, to me, "partyin' hard" meant staying out until midnight after a football game. :( ;)

Sirius Rocketry
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=A Fish Named Wallyum]We batted that around in our journalism class that year. The best one that anyone came up with was "Partyin' hard, havin' babies, we're the class of 1980". QUOTE]

Laughing out freakin' loud!

Thanks for making my day on that one, I needed a laugh!

Eighty One, Eighty One, Eighty, Eighty, Eighty One..... Our Cheerleaders were real original....

Bob H
05-18-2006, 07:54 PM
You guys are doing this just to make me feel old. Class of 1966 here. :eek:

When people ask me what it was like before electricity was discovered, I alway tell them that in my day, we had to watch TV by candlelight. :rolleyes: :p

Chas Russell
05-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Heh...yeah, I have to admit, it was a lot easier to rhyme '79..."We are tough, we lay it on the line, we're the class of '79".

Mere puppies.

Hilliard (OH) Class of 1969. "69 is Fine" was our class motto. Not sure if the high school class ever got the reference. After all, we were teenagers and invented everything!

Staring 55 in the eye (and I think it blinked - must have been the beer...)

Chas

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-18-2006, 08:44 PM

Mere puppies.

Hilliard (OH) Class of 1969. "69 is Fine" was our class motto. Not sure if the high school class ever got the reference. After all, we were teenagers and invented everything!

Chas

I was staring 44 in the eye and it started drooling and nodded off. Is this a good sign? :confused:

Sirius Rocketry
05-18-2006, 08:49 PM

Mere puppies.

Chas

WoW!

Chas Russell! I saw your name tons of times while I was growing up in my rocketry world....I must say it is actually an honor having you jump in on this thread....

Now it only Jon Robbins would be around or found somewhere talk to me about Groundhogs, my life would be complete....

My dad first presented me with an issue of George Flynn's Model Rocketry in 1969, and the rest, as they say is history... I absorbes everything I could, and remember a LOT of names I consider Famous.....

Sirius Rocketry
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
WoW!

Chas Russell! I saw your name tons of times while I was growing up in my rocketry world....I must say it is actually an honor having you jump in on this thread....

Now if only Jon Robbins would be around or could be found somewhere talk to me about Groundhogs, my life would be complete....

My dad first presented me with an issue of George Flynn's Model Rocketry in 1969, and the rest, as they say is history... I absorbed everything I could, and remember a LOT of names I consider Famous.....

Pardon the misspellings and such, things are really busy around here at the moment.

Great to meet more and more of the folks I grew up knowing in one way or another...

Ltvscout
05-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Chas is always lurking around here. ;) He was at NARCON this year helping us drink beer at the beerloft. :D

JRThro
05-19-2006, 09:03 AM
You guys are doing this just to make me feel old. Class of 1966 here. :eek:

When people ask me what it was like before electricity was discovered, I alway tell them that in my day, we had to watch TV by candlelight. :rolleyes: :p
Class of '74 here. My six-year-old son asked me the other night what it was like before there was television. He thought that I grew up in the days when there was only radio. I told him that my parents grew up in the radio-only days... but then I realized that when my dad was born (1915) and for several years after that, commercial radio hadn't even been invented yet.

I'm 48, almost 49, btw, and I dread the upcoming years of teenage angst, considering how angsty my 9-year-old son is already. And by the time my 4-year-old son is no longer a teenager (in the year 2022), I'll be... almost 65, for crying out loud.

Boy, I'm tired.
;) :rolleyes: :eek:

Chas Russell
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
David Miller gushed:

"Chas Russell! I saw your name tons of times while I was growing up in my rocketry world....I must say it is actually an honor having you jump in on this thread....

Now it only Jon Robbins would be around or found somewhere talk to me about Groundhogs, my life would be complete....

My dad first presented me with an issue of George Flynn's Model Rocketry in 1969, and the rest, as they say is history... I absorbes everything I could, and remember a LOT of names I consider Famous....."

Actually, David, I was at NARCON and we had a nice chat. Perhaps since my tag read Charles you probably did not make the connedtion. Rant: why do they make the printing so small on name tags that most of Boomers can not read? End Rant <g>. I bought one of your refit USS Atlantis kits just prior to the end of the event and some decals. I was helping John Dyer at the Red River Rocketry table. I will have to see if I have any hobby money left after the NSL to get a MP Interrogator, if they are still available.

I flew against John Robbins at the Ohio meets in the late '60s - early '70s. Build and flew a couple of Groundhog glders. Flew on with Scott Dixon outside of Chanute AFB, IL. Saw the ejection charge fire and Scott and I looked at each other like, did you engage the elastic? Nope. Impressive thud for a small glider!

I have all of the Model Rocketry issues except for the very last one. IIRC, Jan/Feb '72. Matt Steele did get me a photocopy of it, but it isn't the same.

Famous? Goosshhh!

Chas

Sirius Rocketry
05-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Actually Charles, I do remember talking to you, but I did NOT make the connection with the name tag. Well then, nice to have met you! I do wish they would print those names on the tags larger! :-)

I still like to fly one of the Groundhogs that I built once in a while. About the only modification I ever did was to use burn string to deploy the wings rather than that piston and wire stops that Jon used. I always like watching the lazy, circling sailplane glide of that glider.

I forgot to set the elastic on one of mine once as well. The glider survived, just had to build a new pod for it....

Sorry I did not make the connection!

John Brohm
05-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Sirius Rocketry announces the release of the new Interrogator, in two different sizes!

Since we really could not decide on which size to release it in (and both sizes were popular at NARCON), we released it in both sizes!

The Interrogator is a unique new design that also pays homage in many ways to the great Near-Space Fighter Plane designs of both yesterday and today, and includes TONS of waterslide decals that make it another Sirius Rocketry signature kit.

The standard Interrogator and the Mid-Power Interrogator (limited 1st edition) are both available now at our website along with other new products introduced at NARCON, including several new decal sheets. If you have not stopped by in a while, stop by our new and improved webstore and look around!

Both editions of the Interrogator available for a limited time in numbered editions.

David;

The kits showed up today, and all I can say is great kits, coupled with great service, is the right way to do it. Looking forward to getting started.

DeanHFox
05-19-2006, 07:30 PM
My worst fears have come true...David sent me Mid-power Interrogator #2 and LPR Interrogator #6. :)

Doggone it, David, now I've gotta buy two more of these things! :D

Great, GREAT kits! Can't wait to get started on 'em.

Sirius Rocketry
05-19-2006, 10:37 PM
David;

The kits showed up today, and all I can say is great kits, coupled with great service, is the right way to do it. Looking forward to getting started.

John, thank you! We have been trying to do it that way since day one. We are already working on the next three kits, as well as another batch of Saturns over the summer, and with the help of everyone spreading the word, we are growing again this year. I sincerely hope that you enjoy the build!

David

Sirius Rocketry
05-19-2006, 10:49 PM
My worst fears have come true...David sent me Mid-power Interrogator #2 and LPR Interrogator #6. :)

Doggone it, David, now I've gotta buy two more of these things! :D

Great, GREAT kits! Can't wait to get started on 'em.

I thought you had mentioned somewhere that you WERE going to buy two of each! :-)

What you don't know is I numbered them all #2 and #6! :-P (Just kidding)

I hope you enjoy the kits, these really are the sort of things I loved to build in the "Golden years" of Estes and Centuri, and I am trying to bring back some of that feeling in my kits. I love accurate scale, which is why I started the company with the Saturn kit. I also love the kits that had lots of decals and were of the Future/Fantasy variety, thus the Atlantis Refit and now the Interrogator.

I hope that the continued success of these kits is enough to keep me cracking on the next projects! Spread the word if you can!

Let us know how the build goes! I am actually hoping to fly one this weekend if the weather holds.

Thanks again!

David

Tau Zero
05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
My worst fears have come true...David sent me Mid-power Interrogator #2 and LPR Interrogator #6. :)Imagine getting number 0. :eek: ;) :D (Okay, *technically* my 18mm Interrogator *wasn't* numbered. :rolleyes: )

Great, GREAT kits! Can't wait to get started on 'em.*BIG* pointer: *Don't* glue the fin covering material to the balsa (like I did). :o It's "peel and stick" instead.

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-24-2006, 10:11 PM
*BIG* pointer: *Don't* glue the fin covering material to the balsa (like I did). :o It's "peel and stick" instead.
Brief update: I managed to sling the second coat of gloss white on my Interrogator. But the weatherman says to expect rain Saturday and Sunday. :mad:

In a (mild) huff,

--Jay
"Centuri Guy"

John Dyer
05-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Folks, I saw his display models at NARCON. I hope he was able to get my drool off of them - They really are fantastic looking models!

John

Sirius Rocketry
05-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Folks, I saw his display models at NARCON. I hope he was able to get my drool off of them - They really are fantastic looking models!

John

So that was your drool?

Thanks John! I have also just seen seen the pic of your new release... I like!!!!!

Dave

John Dyer
06-01-2006, 06:31 PM
So that was your drool?

Thanks John! I have also just seen seen the pic of your new release... I like!!!!!

Dave

Thanks!
Stratos was a fun model to kit. It's been gettign alot of positive comments! I still gotta size down the photos from last weekend (NSL) so that I can post them on this forum...

John

Tau Zero
06-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Sirius Rocketry announces the release of the new Interrogator, in two different sizes!Posted to The Rocketry Forum (TRF) on Dean H. Fox's "Sirius Rocketry LPR Interrogator" thread:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=311442#post311442

...And reposted here for your viewing pleasure. ;)

+++

At NARCON 2006, David J. Miller of Sirius Rocketry had both 18 and 24mm prototypes of a new rocket called the "Interrogator" that he hadn't released yet. Two months later, Dave said the kits were finally ready, and he shipped me a low power version to build, test-fly, and review. The media onslaught begins *now.*

The Sirius Rocketry "Interrogator" uses standard Estes-size parts, but incorporates several unusual building techniques, including laminating 1/16" balsa fins on both sides with adhesive computer label paper. *MAKE SURE* you read the 12-page assembly manual -- with black and white photo illustrations -- very closely ahead of time to ward off any potential "gotchas." The "Interrogator's" off-center design is a nice change, and the plastic nose cone and paper-covered fins mean no time-consuming sealing is necessary!

The waterslide decals have enough detail that future cloners will need some *very* high-resolution scans. The decals are practically Shroxian in their sheer quality and quantity (the equivalent of an 8.5 x 11" sheet). However, make sure your decal application technique isn't rusty, because you'll need to apply a couple of tube-circling bands, as well as a rather large single piece to the underside of the intake tube.

The only drawbacks I found are the Mylar (TM) parachute, which some rocketeers generally find somewhat fragile, and the lack of an engine block (but most rocketeers will have an extra one to plug in during assembly). However, Dave has what I thought was a rather innovative but still logical way of reinforcing the shroud line attachment points. You'll have to judge the Mylar chute by your previous experience, if you have any. I found it to be bulkier than the 1.1 oz. ripstop nylon parachute I substituted for my "Interrogator's" first two flights.

Dave (who's Sirius -- no, really, he is) recommends the A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5 motors for the 18mm version of this rocket. However, when I used an A8-3 for the first flight, the "Interrogator" (at its best!) clawed only 100 feet into the sky, and the ejection charge fired *well* past apogee. After a nerve-wracking but successful recovery, I shoved in a B6-4, which gave *much* more satisfying results for this high-drag design, and an altitude of about 250 feet. The "B" motor is great for small field flying, and a C6-5 would also probably keep the "Interrogator" relatively close to the launch pad.

Overall, it's a sturdy design, with lots of cool construction tricks that I've started using while building other rockets. Plus, its skill level is rated 3 out of a possible 5, and while it's probably unlike any rocket you've built before, even moderately experienced rocketeers will find it an enjoyable challenge. (Unless, of course, you end up tearing your hair out because you *DIDN'T* read the instructions first!)

The bad news is now I'll be constantly drooling just trying to imagine what cool new futuristic designs that Dave has yet to exorcise from that imagination of his. (drumming fingers on desk) C'mon, Dave, get crackin'!

Order your Low Power "Interrogator" now!

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/Interrogator01.htm

The "Interrogator" also comes in Mid Power size!

http://www.siriusrocketry.com/Interrogator02.htm

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

(NOTE: The Interrogator pictured below is still on its "paint wand."

The underside shot is a closeup of the intake tube, which also displays some of the highly detailed decals.)

Tau Zero
06-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Posted to The Rocketry Forum (TRF)...while the "Extended Dance Version" is posted elsewhere: :eek:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gomero/rocketreviews.html

Click on "Interrogator." :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Bob H
06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, it stopped raining here long enough so that could stop working on the ARK and finish up my MPR Interrogator.

I didn't have to agonize like some of you with the "low numbers" since mine wasn't even in the first five.

So I built #6 and I think it looks pretty cool. I did mess up one of the decals slightly but you can hardly notice.

Tip: When you apply the PRM (paper reinforcing material) make sure you go over the entire surface to make sure it's stuck everywhere. I didn't and when I primed it, I got little wrinkles in the surface. I burnished them down when the primer dried and you can hardly notice them.

Which got me thinking... Since the paper lifted in those spots, should I have used a pin and made little holes along the line where the rudders attach for "glue rivets"? Or will the glue soak into the paper enough to make sure it's good and solid? I guess time will tell.

Anyways, I really like the looks of this and it's still fairly small for a mid-power rocket. Mine came out at 4.5 oz without the chute. I'm thinking an upscale to BT-60 main body with a BT-70 intake tube.

I think I'm going to use a nylon chute when I fly this. I now have several in various sizes with snap swivels so I just swap them into whatever I'm flying.

Bob H
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I flew the MPR Interrogator yesterday.

It went high and straight on a D12-5.

Unfortunately, upon ejection, the shock cord got tangled around the dowels on the wing fins and both rudders were broken loose.

The shock cord went around one dowel, over the tops of the rudders and around the other dowel so the rudders were most likely broken by the force of the chute opening.

If you use the shock cord that came in the kit, it won't happen because it's too short to wrap around the dowels. The kit shock cord was only about the length of the body tube and I replaced it with one that was twice as long.

You'll also notice in the second picture that the Paper Reinforcing Material also pulled up off of the right wing a little.