PDA

View Full Version : New 1:70 Saturn V LUT Model

mperdue
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Since we now have this new Paper Modeling Forum I thought I'd start a thread on my first paper model build. I'm currently working on the EDU-Craft Saturn V Crawler and LUT. Since I can't leave well enough alone, I've been replacing some of the parts with custom made replacements. I'm currently building the Crawler and will be replacing the hand rails and stairways with more detailed parts. My thanks to Carl @ Semroc for his help in making many of these parts possible.

The first photo is of a crawler track. This is built using only parts included in the paper model.

The second photo is a prototype walkway and stairway.

The last photo shows a walkway actually built for the model. This part is ready for painting and weathering.

Mario

luke strawwalker
02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
VERY nice! OL JR :)

mperdue
04-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Starting on the undercarriage. This is being built using a combination of paper and plastic parts. I want the i-beams to be durable enough to be taken to model rocketry events for display. One half of the undercarriage is shown here.

dlazarus6660
04-02-2011, 05:43 PM
If I ever get that ambitious, I would like to try this someday.
Good job, it would be cool to have it made radio control to the launch site. :D

mperdue
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
The entire undercarriage is now together and ready to have the main structure built on it. The final model will also have mufflers and other equipment added to this side.

mperdue
04-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Making some progress now...

mperdue
04-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm also working on a test floor...

AcroRay
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
There's a crawler papercraft kit for sale at Hobbylink Japan right now. Are these the kit you're building?

1/116 Crawler:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TVC00006

1/116 Saturn and Tower:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TVC00007

mperdue
04-16-2011, 05:41 PM
There's a crawler papercraft kit for sale at Hobbylink Japan right now. Are these the kit you're building?

1/116 Crawler:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TVC00006

1/116 Saturn and Tower:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TVC00007
I started with the Edu-Craft kits (http://educraftdiversions.org/) but everything I've posted here, except the track, is made from scratch (with a lot of help from the good people at SEMROC.) The final product will be a combination of the Edu-Craft model and my custom parts.

John Brohm
04-16-2011, 06:05 PM
...but everything I've posted here, except the track, is made from scratch (with a lot of help from the good people at SEMROC.) The final product will be a combination of the Edu-Craft model and my custom parts.

It's coming along nicely, Mario. And it's an impressive undertaking. Will be looking forward to the end result.

What does a guy move onto after this - a vacation?

Ltvscout
04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
What does a guy move onto after this - a vacation?
Kitting it! :chuckle:

AcroRay
04-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I started with the Edu-Craft kits (http://educraftdiversions.org/) but everything I've posted here, except the track, is made from scratch (with a lot of help from the good people at SEMROC.) The final product will be a combination of the Edu-Craft model and my custom parts.

Oh, wow! Those are great looking kits!

mperdue
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Kitting it! :chuckle:
You couldn't afford it... :)

mperdue
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Oh, wow! Those are great looking kits!
They are very nice looking kits without the mods I'm making but, IMHO, I'm improving them. At the very least, they will be stronger.

Gus
04-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Mario,

Beautiful work.

I presume from your mention of Semroc that it is Carl who is doing the laser cutting. I was up at Gordy's last week and saw the latest laser cutting Carl did of the Soyuz and Vostok interstage pieces on Gordy's kits. In looking at your pieces I'm reminded of just how unbelievably good Carl has gotten at laser cutting really intricate and delicate pieces. Just amazing stuff.

Looking forward to more of your build (as always :)).

Steve

mperdue
04-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Mario,

Beautiful work.

I presume from your mention of Semroc that it is Carl who is doing the laser cutting. I was up at Gordy's last week and saw the latest laser cutting Carl did of the Soyuz and Vostok interstage pieces on Gordy's kits. In looking at your pieces I'm reminded of just how unbelievably good Carl has gotten at laser cutting really intricate and delicate pieces. Just amazing stuff.

Looking forward to more of your build (as always :)).

Steve
Yeah, Carl is amazing.

I design all the parts and provide the cutting files in the proper format and Carl does the cutting for me. Quite frankly, I couldn't do the changes I'm doing without Carl's help. Each basic floor has about thirty parts that need to be the same size for each floor to insure a straight tower. There are eighteen floors so cutting everything by hand is not an option.

I'm hoping to get it all together and bring it out to NARAM later this year. I've got a lot to do...

Bill
04-17-2011, 10:20 AM
You couldn't afford it... :)

I'll bet the cost per build hour is less than that for cases of bulk packs from the scout store.

Methinks this thread no longer qualifies as cardstock rocketry and should be moved to projects...

Will this thing end up strong enough to hold an Apogee Saturn-V? Or a milkstool and a Saturn-1B?

Bill

mperdue
04-18-2011, 05:26 PM
A little color helps.

mperdue
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Bill,

It will absolutely hold an Apogee Saturn V as will the unmodified kit, after all, that's what it was designed for.

Mario

mperdue
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Been working on the cab for the crawler.

mperdue
04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Back to the main body of the crawler. The structural girders are all in place and the supports for the tracks are being attached. Now I have to figure out how to get the fuel tanks installed in that tight area... :confused:

mperdue
04-29-2011, 07:11 PM
It's starting to come together now. Having the legs on makes it look a little bit like a crawler.