PDA

View Full Version : OpenRocket 1.1.x

CPMcGraw
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
This thread is for announcements and general discussions concerning OpenRocket, a Java-based open-source program similar in features and function to Apogee's RockSim.

OpenRocket is primarily developed by Sampo Niskanen. The program is a SourceForge project, and the main web page is located here:

OpenRocket (http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/index.html)

There are two mailings lists for developers, which may be of interest to everyone here:

OpenRocket-Announce (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrocket-announce)

and

OpenRocket-Devel (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/openrocket-devel)

GregGleason
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Do you know what the enhancements are?

Greg

CPMcGraw
03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Do you know what the enhancements are?

5.3.2011: Version 1.1.4 is released!

This release includes initial printing support, thanks to Doug Pedrick. Printing still has a few issues on some platforms. Various bugs have also been fixed.

Looks like mostly bug fixes.

DaveR
07-08-2011, 03:36 PM
OpenRocket 1.1.5 has been released. The print function now works with Windows and you can save your designs as .pdf files. :cool:

BEC
07-09-2011, 11:36 PM
The printing/saving to .pdf also works on the Mac (OS 10.6 anyway). Yay!

However, in the design data, if you print out simulation results, there are some units errors (if you are using Imperial units, anyway). Altitude is in meters but the report labels it "feet". Velocities are in m/s but the report labels them ft/s. Propellant weights are in grams but the report labels them ounces. Something to be aware of on printed/pdf'd results.

tbzep
07-10-2011, 09:45 AM
The printing/saving to .pdf also works on the Mac (OS 10.6 anyway). Yay!

However, in the design data, if you print out simulation results, there are some units errors (if you are using Imperial units, anyway). Altitude is in meters but the report labels it "feet". Velocities are in m/s but the report labels them ft/s. Propellant weights are in grams but the report labels them ounces. Something to be aware of on printed/pdf'd results.
That should be a quick and easy fix for Sampo if the bug gets reported. Report a bug. (http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/report.html)

76gunner
07-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Is this Linux based?

Gunner
NAR# 18493

CPMcGraw
07-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Is this Linux based?

Gunner
NAR# 18493

It's Java-based, so it will run on all three platforms. You just need the latest Java RT for your OS. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04, and downloaded the J6 environment via "Software Center". You have to create a "Launcher" manually, but other than that, running it is a breeze.

BEC
07-10-2011, 12:57 PM
That should be a quick and easy fix for Sampo if the bug gets reported. Report a bug. (http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/report.html)

Will do. Thanks.

added: it turns out it's already been reported, but I did add a little specific detail to the report.

BEC
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
and the units conversion bug in the simulation results printout is fixed. The release notes just say "numerous bug fixes" so I don't know what else has been taken care of - at least not yet.

Ltvscout
07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Craig,

Maybe make a number of posts in this sub-forum for the various software programs, but don't reference the exact version number. In the first post put the link to the software download page. As new versions are released people can reply to the message with the latest release number. I'll make the posts sticky. You could edit this one by putting the link to the software in your original post. I believe that you as moderator can edit the title as well and make it say something like OpenRocket 1.x or 1.1.x. You may even be able to make the thread sticky yourself with your access.

Ironnerd
07-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Just got 1.1.6

Hooray for scaling!

This is really turning into a fantastic product.

GregGleason
07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I just got the new version, having used the older version.

It is fairly intuitive and I was able to make a rocket with several parts in less than an hour.

Greg

CPMcGraw
07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Craig,

Maybe make a number of posts in this sub-forum for the various software programs, but don't reference the exact version number. In the first post put the link to the software download page. As new versions are released people can reply to the message with the latest release number. I'll make the posts sticky. You could edit this one by putting the link to the software in your original post. I believe that you as moderator can edit the title as well and make it say something like OpenRocket 1.x or 1.1.x. You may even be able to make the thread sticky yourself with your access.

I'll see what I can do. It's been some time since I fiddled with any of the features of this forum, I'm a bit rusty... :o

Ltvscout
07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll see what I can do. It's been some time since I fiddled with any of the features of this forum, I'm a bit rusty... :o
At the top of the beginning of the thread page you should see a drop-down link called Thread Tools. That's where the magic happens. ;)

CPMcGraw
07-23-2011, 12:03 PM
At the top of the beginning of the thread page you should see a drop-down link called Thread Tools. That's where the magic happens. ;)

I think I got it :D

The first entry now has some of that "important stuff' mentioned...

nukemmcssret
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I downloaded the program opened it from the download, but it does not seem to be on my HDD. Do you have to run it every time? Thanks

mwtoelle
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
What OS are you running? You should save the .jar file to your computer's hard disk before running it. It does not install to your hard disk like most Windows programs. The OpenRocket file should be in whatever directory that it was downloaded to. To make it easier to find, try copying it to your desktop.

CPMcGraw
09-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I downloaded the program opened it from the download, but it does not seem to be on my HDD. Do you have to run it every time? Thanks

You need a Java RTE (run time environment) to run the file. Go to the Sun Java Download Page (http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp) and download the current RTE, install it. Then, you just create a desktop link to the OR *jar file. When you click the link, it will auto-start the RTE which will run OR.

CPMcGraw
09-12-2011, 10:55 PM
OpenRocket 1.1.8 is available (as of August 25)...

Changes include:
25.8.2011: Version 1.1.8 is released!

This release contains bug fixes to the optimization methods. It also contains a workaround to a JRE bug that prevents running OpenRocket on some builds of Java 7.

The web pages have also been somewhat updated and Boris du Reau has created a separate site for coordinating the localization efforts for OpenRocket.

12.8.2011: Version 1.1.7 is released!

This release includes automatic rocket design optimization support (Analyze → Rocket optimization). You can optimize any amount of rocket parameters for apogee altitude, maximum velocity or a number of different values.

While the automatic optimization is a powerful tool, it is very easy to optimize against particulars of the simulation methods, instead of true physical phenomena. Always keep common sense at hand and take the results with a grain of salt.

CPMcGraw
09-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Also remember, if you're on a LINUX platform to set the permission bit for running the file as an executable.

K.M.Knox
09-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to show the velocity at laundry ejection in the simulation line. I go into the plot and can check it out but I was hoping there was a way to add it to the data listed when you run the simulation. I did notice that it is set to warn you at 75 or 100 I think, but that seems a bit high to me.

DaveR
11-30-2011, 03:54 PM
OpenRocket 1.1.9 was released on 11/24/11. News blurb from the OpenRocket website below:

24.11.2011: Version 1.1.9 is released!

For this version Richard Graham has implemented geodetic computation methods, which take into account the curvature of the Earth and the coriolis effect. The computation method is selected by the Geodetic calculations option in the simulation options. It's not (yet) a full spherical computation model, but should be accurate enough for almost all sub-orbital needs.

Doug Pedrick has also enhanced the printing system with the ability to print fin positioning guides, transition templates and nose cone profiles. Other smaller enhancements and bug fixes are also included.

OpenRocket Website: http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/

Oliver
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
A nice feature of the new version is the translation into German, French and Spanish!

It works fine on my PC.

Oliver

DaveR
04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
New version of Open Rocket now available.

10.3.2012: Version 12.03 for desktop and Android is released!

In this release the version numbering scheme has been changed. From now on the version number is YY.MM indicating the year and month of the release. Bug fix releases are indicated by an added ".1".

This also marks the first release for Android devices. In this first release you can open files and examine existing simulations, stability data and motor files. The Android port is thanks to work by Kevin Ruland.

Enhancements in the desktop version include saving designs in RKT format thanks to Doug Pedrick, freeform fin set import form images by Jason Blood, configurable stage separation events, guided help tours and displaying the computed motor designation class. The application has also been translated to Italian by Mauro Biasutti and Russian by the Sky Dart Team.

OpenRocket Website: http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/

Oliver
04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
There is a Beta version available including even a 3D viewer comparable to RocSim:

http://openrocket.trans.free.fr/download/beta//OpenRocket3D-2012-04-05.zip

It works fine on my machine even it´s Beta.

Oliver

Ironnerd
04-27-2012, 06:26 AM
There is a Beta version available including even a 3D viewer comparable to RocSim:

http://openrocket.trans.free.fr/download/beta//OpenRocket3D-2012-04-05.zip

It works fine on my machine even it´s Beta.

Oliver

Very nice! It works!

Solomoriah
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Wow. Just, wow. Hadn't worked with the new OpenRocket 12.03 until yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to find Deployment Velocity on the simulations table (I asked for that a long time ago when the support forums were elsewhere). But then, I tried the PDF generator.

WOW. I like it. Just simmed a rocket for my daughter, 2x18mm, almost 30" long, and the parts list alone blew me away.

The only things I'd ask for are (a) DV with the sign, so I know if it's going up or down, and (b) some way to instantly reverse the fins (so the trailing edge becomes the leading edge and vice versa). But these are very, very minor things.

snaquin
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow. Just, wow. Hadn't worked with the new OpenRocket 12.03 until yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to find Deployment Velocity on the simulations table (I asked for that a long time ago when the support forums were elsewhere). But then, I tried the PDF generator.

WOW. I like it. Just simmed a rocket for my daughter, 2x18mm, almost 30" long, and the parts list alone blew me away.

The only things I'd ask for are (a) DV with the sign, so I know if it's going up or down, and (b) some way to instantly reverse the fins (so the trailing edge becomes the leading edge and vice versa). But these are very, very minor things.

I agree, the new OpenRocket 12.03 save as PDF feature is great. I like the clean lay out of the parts list and flight details with the motor table, especially the fin marking guide templates! It even provides launch lug placement marks. Very nice.

I've been using the program a little more lately and I really like it.

:)

FastCargo
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
OpenRocket is up to version 12.09. Includes the 3D viewer previewed in the beta version.

OpenRocket for Android is also at 12.09, you can now create and run simulations ... great for when you are 'in the field' and conditions don't match what you had 'simmed' at home.

FC

CPMcGraw
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
The new version has a serious bug in the 3D section. It will lock up the program (not the computer, thankfully) and generate a continuous-loop exception error.

This bug may only affect certain systems. I am running Linux Mint 13 x64 ("Maya") on a dual-core Athlon 64, with an nVidia GT520 graphics card. It may also be related to the version of JAVA; I'm using OpenJRE 1.6, but I'll try the newer 1.7 release and post later.

DaveR
10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I had to update my graphics driver in order for the newest version to run, which needed to be done anyway. No problems now - other than the 3D feature is a bit of a resource hog.

CarlosMc
04-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Our club president, Tim C., sent me this "".ork" file which features "parabolic foreward fuselages" and "ogive aft fuselage," There are compaund nose cone parts, and nose cone rings, which I don't find in my version of OR (15.03, I believe).

I found that if I go up to "tools," I can click "custom expressions," but I don't see any of these above mentioned custom expressions. So how do I access them when I am designing my own rockets? I have tried.

When I click custom expression, a blank grau box appears, with a "new expression" button. I click that, in the upper left corner of OR, another balloon appears with multiple entries possible" expression, operator, varible, symbol, and units. if I place my cursor in certain boxes, a table appers with a list of functions and operators - but I am not sure how they work, what they do, how to use them, what order do I put them, etc.

Do I need to go back to school to learn programming?

CarlosMc
04-26-2020, 07:09 AM
I want to upload the ".ork" file for "The Rocket
Formerly Known as Black."

It looks likeits done.

Comments?

GregGleason
04-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Wow. Talk about reanimating an old thread.

I would say post the question on TRF. The Rocketry Forum has way more users familiar with the program.

Greg

aeppel_cpm
04-27-2020, 07:10 AM
It’s possible the creator of the file was using a version of OpenRocket after 15.03. There are unreleased test versions if you know how to compile them. A few of the beta testers have shared them. None have gotten bug free enough to release generally.

neil_w
05-13-2020, 10:51 AM
The file CarlosMC posted up there opens fine in the current release version of OR, It's a bit rough (the fins especially) but probably close enough.

I don't see anything custom in it, just an assortment of nose + transitions using standard options.