PDA

View Full Version : New Maxi Alpha 3

Royatl
03-19-2011, 03:09 AM
I just picked up a new Maxi Alpha 3, and I'm here to report that it is almost exactly the same as the original Maxi Alpha 3 from 1979 (though the nose cone is white instead of red) and the re-release from 2000 (which differed with stick-on decals).

The only differences from the 2000 version that are significant are the E-sized motor hook, and 1/4" launch lugs.

Bazookadale
03-19-2011, 04:45 AM
At Narcon I asked John (of Estes)if they featured the same easy to break plastic fins - I think he was a little miffed at my question ;)

But they are the same plastic fins that attach to 2 rings in the body

cas2047
03-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Does it have the stick on vs. water slide decals?

Royatl
03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
At Narcon I asked John (of Estes)if they featured the same easy to break plastic fins - I think he was a little miffed at my question ;)

exactly the same. no change at all. (I was hoping, as you said, for thicker fins, or fins that were closer to t he normal Alpha planform)

Royatl
03-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Does it have the stick on vs. water slide decals?

Stick-on, like the 2000 version. The original, indeed, had waterslide (which was a b***h to deal with out in the field when you were building one an hour for a demo flight!)

evo666
03-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I noticed in the 2011 Estes catalog that they are coming out with a starter set for this. Now I am wondering if they are including an E launch set or the regular?

Royatl
03-20-2011, 06:34 AM
I noticed in the 2011 Estes catalog that they are coming out with a starter set for this. Now I am wondering if they are including an E launch set or the regular?

With a 1/4" lug set, and the E motor capability, that almost certainly would be the E pad and controller.

Jerry Irvine
03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
I have flown a LOT of Maxi-Alpha 3's in demos. There are two very easy ways to overcome the breakage problem which also conserves your assembly labor for the next demo.

1. Put a wood 1/4" wood dowel next to the motor mount tube extended out the back and 6" below the fin sweep. The rocket lands on this and reduces or eliminates landing damage. I suggested this for the Maxi-Mars Lander when I went to NARCON San Diego before it was flown and severely damaged on landing. It was displayed there before its maiden flight. I also offered the current owner free motors for a reflight.

2. Put three parachutes on it. By installing three chutes and folding them all together as a single system, deployment is just as reliable and the landing speed is much lower and three chutes tend to drift less due to lift interference and odd side drag.

Repairing them is indeed a problem so a quarter ounce of (wooden) prevention is worth an ounce of cure (-ed epoxy).

Tech Jerry

Captain Ron
03-20-2011, 11:49 AM
That was the issue I had with my Estes Collosus which is similar to the Maxi alpha. I used a D12-5 I believe, yet almost every time it flew upon apogee when the chute would pop, it would break the dot stickers that hold the shroud lines and come tumbling down... It survived the landings with no damage as it tumbled down horizontally, no fin damage. it only went up maybe 200-300ft if that. I had to use two 24" chutes and a longer shock cord to overcome it...

BEC
03-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I am flying a Maxi Alpha 3 from the most recent reissue (the 2000 version) and have actually reduced the 'chute to an 18 incher. I have only once cracked a fin joint. What I did differently is during the build, bond the fins to the body tube sections with Wilhold RC-56 - which makes a strong yet flexible plastic to paper joint. I would expect that the the Pacer or Zinger-branded replacements for RC-56 (look for "canopy glue" in RC-oriented shops/sites) would work as well.

I also put in a Semroc BT-80 baffle system so that I don't have to use huge amounts of wadding - just one square in the upward facing tube in the baffle.

I agree it makes a wonderful demo rocket - it can even be flown on a small field on a C11-3. OTOH it really goes nicely to a little over 1000 feet on an Aerotech E20.

Robobud
03-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I have flown a LOT of Maxi-Alpha 3's in demos. There are two very easy ways to overcome the breakage problem which also conserves your assembly labor for the next demo.

2. Put three parachutes on it. By installing three chutes and folding them all together as a single system, deployment is just as reliable and the landing speed is much lower and three chutes tend to drift less due to lift interference and odd side drag.

Tech Jerry

three of what size chutes? 24"?

just got this kit and was thinking about adding more chutes

thanks!

jadebox
03-20-2011, 03:31 PM
three of what size chutes? 24"?

just got this kit and was thinking about adding more chutes

The distance a rocket drifts is determined by the wind speed and time it takes to descend, not by the type or number of parachutes used. So, if you have one, a single larger parachute would be better than three smaller ones. There would be less tangling of the shroud lines and one 'chute would be easier to pack into less space.

-- Roger

Initiator001
03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm still waiting to receive the Maxi Alpha III I ordered from Hobbylink.

I flew my original 1983 vintage MAIII so often I wore it out. The motor mount tube had a burnthrough from all those AeroTech 24mm 'E' motors. I used quite a few D12s, also.

Shreadvector
03-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm still waiting to receive the Maxi Alpha III I ordered from Hobbylink.

I flew my original 1983 vintage MAIII so often I wore it out. The motor mount tube had a burnthrough from all those AeroTech 24mm 'E' motors. I used quite a few D12s, also.

Is that Mile Square Park and is that me at the picnic table?

ghrocketman
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
The REGULAR Maxi-Alpha was much better than the Maxi Alpha 3 as it had WOOD fins instead of those DUMB easily breakable ring-lok plastic jokes.

The best would be to offer the ORIGINAL Maxi-Alpha (not 3) with either basswood or ply TTW fins that can take some REAL power.

Shredded the fins off my buddy's Maxi Alpha 3 on its 2nd flight with a Compsite Dynamics 24mm Pro-Jet F something in 1988. He was displeased with the 125' on a D12-3 and I handed him the Composite Dynamics 80 n-sec F that stuck out of the mount bottom by like 4". Fins shredded off at about 250' but kept going up fairly straight.
His response was "Geez, thanx !". I told him to GLUE some REAL fins on with epoxy and quit whining.

Doug Sams
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
The REGULAR Maxi-Alpha was much better than the Maxi Alpha 3 as it had WOOD fins instead of those DUMB easily breakable ring-lok plastic jokes.

The best would be to offer the ORIGINAL Maxi-Alpha (not 3) with either basswood or ply TTW fins that can take some REAL power.That's how I plan to finish my MA3, replacing the lower section with TTW wood fins and my interchangeable motor mount system. It'll still have the look of the MA3, but not the plastic fin can. Wood type TBD. Maybe aircraft ply, maybe balsa ply.

Doug

ghrocketman
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I have never seen Balsa ply before, just regular Spruce Aircraft Ply and Poplar Lite(useless) Ply.
Is that something one can order or is it some sort of home-brew balsa ply ?

I think I may turn my MA3 I ordered into a Colossus instead with an additional tube and wood fins for strength.

Doug Sams
03-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I have never seen Balsa ply before, just regular Spruce Aircraft Ply and Poplar Lite(useless) Ply.
Is that something one can order or is it some sort of home-brew balsa ply ?

I think I may turn my MA3 I ordered into a Colossus instead with an additional tube and wood fins for strength.A company called Mach-1 used to make balsa ply. It was available from them and also thru BMS.

It's long OOP, but I still have a some left from a purchase I made years ago.

I also roll my own. I use two outer layers of 1/32" balsa over an inner layer of 1/16". I glue it with yellow glue, then clamp it for a couple days between two very carefully eyeballed (for planarity) pieces of birch. Some aluminum foil makes a good release layer to keep from glueing your balsa to your birch :) (which is not quite as bad as glueing your hand to your special purpose :D )

Doug

John Brohm
03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
That's how I plan to finish my MA3, replacing the lower section with TTW wood fins and my interchangeable motor mount system. It'll still have the look of the MA3, but not the plastic fin can. Wood type TBD. Maybe aircraft ply, maybe balsa ply.

Doug

Well that's what I did, and I also ended up changing the paint scheme as well. Flies great on an E15-4.

Initiator001
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Is that Mile Square Park and is that me at the picnic table?

The picture was taken at Mile Square Park. I still miss that flying site. :(

I'm not sure that is you sitting at the table, Fred. I'm pretty sure that is Martin standing behind whoever is sitting at the table.

gpoehlein
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM

The best would be to offer the ORIGINAL Maxi-Alpha (not 3) with either basswood or ply TTW fins that can take some REAL power.

Shredded the fins off my buddy's Maxi Alpha 3 on its 2nd flight with a Compsite Dynamics 24mm Pro-Jet F something in 1988. He was displeased with the 125' on a D12-3 and I handed him the Composite Dynamics 80 n-sec F that stuck out of the mount bottom by like 4". Fins shredded off at about 250' but kept going up fairly straight.
His response was "Geez, thanx !". I told him to GLUE some REAL fins on with epoxy and quit whining.

What I did was download the Maxi Alpha plans (I think from Jimz) and kitbashed the Executioner into a Maxi Alpha. It was easy to add the TTW tabs to the Maxi Alpha fins, and I went ahead and installed E length motor hook as with the Executioner. Now I can launch my Maxi with Estes Ds and Es, as well as Apogee reloads (the 1" orange spacer to fly D motors in an E mount lets the RMS case fit fine even without modifiying the motor hook). Still want a Maxi Alpha III just because I like Alphas! :D

Greg

Doug Sams
03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Well that's what I did, and I also ended up changing the paint scheme as well. Flies great on an E15-4.John,

Have you shown that pic to Doug Holverson? Ya know, his grandfather had a tractor :D

Doug

BoosterDude
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I have two of the Maxi Alpha 3's that I fly often and have never broken a fin. I tend to only fly them in the warmer weather so maybe that helps. They fly great on Aerotech E18's.

But for a rocket you can throw together and fly, they're hard to beat.

My sons
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/BoosterDude/EstesMaxiAlpha3Spiderman9_07.jpg

My daughters
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd96/BoosterDude/IMG_0442.jpg

tbzep
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I have an old Colossus, which is just a stretched Alpha 3. I never broke a fin with it during the time I was flying it. The plastic is brittle from being stored for years in the attic, so it can't be flown now, but it had quite a few flights on it years ago.

If you don't want to add a second chute, make sure you only fly it where it will land in thick tall grass or on broken ground. Don't recover on pavement, closely cropped lawns, or freshly grazed pastures. The more calm the wind, the better. Yep, I'm repeating stuff that's been said, but that's what everybody else does. :D

gpoehlein
03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
If you don't want to add a second chute, make sure you only fly it where it will land in thick tall grass or on broken ground. Don't recover on pavement, closely cropped lawns, or freshly grazed pastures. The more calm the wind, the better. Yep, I'm repeating stuff that's been said, but that's what everybody else does. :D

Or concrete feed lots and metal roofs... wanna guess how I know that? :rolleyes:

Greg

Captain Ron
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
yeah Ive been upgrading my older Estes chutes by replacing the dot stickers with 1/4" label reinforcement circular stickers that we see on pre-made chutes now. I had several shroud lines pull out upon ejection with the older disk stickers..

cas2047
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Stick-on, like the 2000 version. The original, indeed, had waterslide (which was a b***h to deal with out in the field when you were building one an hour for a demo flight!)

That's what I thought, and I hear you, with that much surface to cover, waterslide could be a pain.

I'm still not a big fan of the stick on decals though. I've got a few Estes Silver Comets laying around and I'd like to build at least one, but without waterslide decals I'm just not too excited about the prospect of building the rocket.

With the Maxi Alpha 3 though I can definitely live with the stick-on's.

John Brohm
03-21-2011, 04:39 PM
John,

Have you shown that pic to Doug Holverson? Ya know, his grandfather had a tractor :D

Doug

So I've heard. But if I understand things correctly, my Maxi Alpha is the wrong color...

Doug Sams
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
So I've heard. But if I understand things correctly, my Maxi Alpha is the wrong color...His color scheme was Allis Chalmers? :confused:

I seem to recall several threads on Old Rockets about tractor paint and rockets, including John Deere, but couldn't remember who liked which brands. But I love the JD color scheme.
When I was a kid, we had a garden in the back yard. There was a small farm, maybe a mile from the house, and the old farmer would come by every spring and turn the garden for us. He had one of the old 2-cylinder diesels from John Deere. Those things were famous for their slow RPM (rate of fire :)) and the loud popping noises they made under load..

Doug

tbzep
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Or concrete feed lots and metal roofs... wanna guess how I know that? :rolleyes:

Greg

You'd think the manure would cushion the fall on the feed lot. :D

gpoehlein
03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
You'd think the manure would cushion the fall on the feed lot. :D

Nope - we fly on a retired dairy farm - there haven't been any cows in these pastures for quite a number of years, nor feed (or other things) in the feed lot. But those metal roofs and the concrete are not kind to fins!

Greg

tbzep
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Nope - we fly on a retired dairy farm - there haven't been any cows in these pastures for quite a number of years, nor feed (or other things) in the feed lot. But those metal roofs and the concrete are not kind to fins!

Greg

I have plenty of manure. You can have all you want. :cool:

Pem Tech
03-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Well bummer....
That was the issue with the original kit. The fins would snap off the rings and the repair would never be as strong as the original joint.

The Maxi Alpha III was my first "Big" D powered kit, back when I was much younger. After all, back then, I was acclimatized to the idea that a Bt-60 was massive.

The memory of that first flight will never fade....
The launch button was pushed and I remember being astounded by the smoke, flame and roar of the mighty D engine. My initial thought was, "Geez, this looks like a real missile!"
:rolleyes:

Dang it! Now I want to scratch one together.
Who started this thread??
Off with their head!!

Bazookadale
03-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Well bummer....
That was the issue with the original kit. The fins would snap off the rings and the repair would never be as strong as the original joint.

The Maxi Alpha III was my first "Big" D powered kit, back when I was much younger. After all, back then, I was acclimatized to the idea that a Bt-60 was massive.

The memory of that first flight will never fade....
The launch button was pushed and I remember being astounded by the smoke, flame and roar of the mighty D engine. My initial thought was, "Geez, this looks like a real missile!"
:rolleyes:

Dang it! Now I want to scratch one together.
Who started this thread??
Off with their head!!

Y'know I told John my issue was not breaking during flight, they broke on the ride back home in the box with my other rockets. Every old Maxi Alpha III I have seen had epoxy fillets the length of the fins as a repair

ghrocketman
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
They would be a lot better off scrapping the JUNK plastic fins from the get-go and gluing and filleting Aircraft Ply fins directly to the tube with quality epoxy. Problem solved before it ever becomes one.
The Maxi Alpha 3 was an unneeded solution to a problem that did not exist with the Maxi Alpha. Yeah, one can build a MA3 in 15 minutes and fly it, but the fin durability has ALWAYS stunk.

Royatl
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Good grief people, the whole point of the Maxi-Alpha 3 is to be a quick-to-build, and fun-to-fly, large rocket.

If you want to replace the fins with through-the-wall hardwood, why not just get an Executioner???

Shreadvector
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Good grief people, the whole point of the Maxi-Alpha 3 is to be a quick-to-build, and fun-to-fly, large rocket.

If you want to replace the fins with through-the-wall hardwood, why not just get an Executioner???

If people did that, then they would not have a reason to complain about virtually everything. After all, the point of life is to be totally consumed with hate and negativity. And dominating all web forums that allow one with such a philosophy to stay and scare off the normal folks. ;) :D :p

BoosterDude
03-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Agreed, way too much discussion for a simple rocket.

stefanj
03-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Good. That's settled.

Now, I want to know why the Moon Mutt doesn't have a 3" fiberglass airframe and a 29mm mount.

ghrocketman
03-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Harsh Negativity is not only more entertaining, it is also much closer to all reality than always trying to find the positive anyway.
Being a villain is far more fun than a hero...the rules are better too.
Hyuk, yuk, yuk, yuk ! :chuckle:

Doug Sams
03-22-2011, 01:33 PM

If you want to replace the fins with through-the-wall hardwood, why not just get an Executioner???Good point, Roy. And I appreciate the irony. But keep in mind, if the fins weren't so flimsy and easy-to-break on this 15-minute E2X bird, then there wouldn't be such motivation to "fix" it. That is, there is some legitimacy to the discussion of beefing it up.

Otherwise, we are largely in agreement that it's easier to start with more sturdy materials if one wants to build a K-powered 2.6" upscale Alpha ;)

Doug

ghrocketman
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Doesn't have to handle a "K", but up to a H250G would be nice.

jdbectec
03-22-2011, 02:29 PM
If people did that, then they would not have a reason to complain about virtually everything. After all, the point of life is to be totally consumed with hate and negativity. And dominating all web forums that allow one with such a philosophy to stay and scare off the normal folks. ;) :D :p

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: Good one!

Royatl
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Good point, Roy. And I appreciate the irony. But keep in mind, if the fins weren't so flimsy and easy-to-break on this 15-minute E2X bird, then there wouldn't be such motivation to "fix" it. That is, there is some legitimacy to the discussion of beefing it up.

Otherwise, we are largely in agreement that it's easier to start with more sturdy materials if one wants to build a K-powered 2.6" upscale Alpha ;)

Doug

In all the flights I've made with Maxi Alpha 3's (hundreds in the 80's, six in recent years) I've never had a fin break. Don't know why... I *have* seen others break theirs.

ghrocketman
03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Have seen several MA3's break fins on landing from even a slightly fouled chute landing on hard earth or worse.

Also, they will shred the fins right clean off with an E28 or higher thrust E unless one attaches the fins more solidly (think roughed up root edges with Epoxy fillets here) to the tube.
Saw one in 1988 shred the fins off with a Composite Dynamics Pro-Jet E20-7 the same day my buddy shredded his fins with a CD Pro-Jet F45 on the same rocket. Same lousy stock attachment method.

Jerry Irvine
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
The CD motors were progressive trace case bonded coreburners and were shredders to begin with, wimpy MA3 aside.

The mold is what it is. It has served the purpose Estes intended, which is an expedient large rocket for flying on common D motors, in smaller fields no less.

If Estes were to do some sort of engineering mod it might be to punch the center tube in a way a tab can be on each side of the fin for 1/2-2/3 its root which itself can be reinforced with glue, perhaps gorilla glue. Those who don't need the punch can ignore it and those who do need it, particularly in cold weather, can enable it.

One part change.

Another possibilty which would be unlike Estes to do, would be to put holes near the root edges of the fins for tube surface and fin side attached index stock tabs whos glue goes through the holes to lock to the tabs reinforcing a plastic fin with paper and wood glue attach.

It has to be Estes cheap and easy to pass muster, but these suggesitions could be addressed in "things you can try if you are adventurous" mode.

Adventurous here defined by not being ARTF or Skill 1 but all the way up the ladder to skill level 2.

Jerry

gpoehlein
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Got mine today. Was gonna build it this evening, but the power went out about a half hour after I got home and only now came back on. Ah well, maybe Sunday.

Greg

tbzep
03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Got mine today. Was gonna build it this evening, but the power went out about a half hour after I got home and only now came back on. Ah well, maybe Sunday.

Greg

You only need about 15 minutes, and 10 of that is finding where you put the plastic cement. You've got time. :p

Rocket Doctor
03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Life is way too short to worry about such trivia............

It sounds like were getting back to the Barry days...............

evo666
04-08-2011, 05:31 AM
I just ordered myself one. Never owned one so I am hoping to having the fun you guys all had back then.
I also recently scratch built a Maxi Alpha using spare parts from the Executioner.

InFlight
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking about buying two and converting one into a Colossus.
Just need to lengthen the BT80 tube. :D

1979 Catalog (http://ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes79/79est34.html)

jeffyjeep
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
So will this Colossus conversion be called................

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

wait for it....

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

"The Forbin Project?" :D

Thank you. I'll be here all week. Stay in school, kids.

InFlight
04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Dr. Charles A. Forbin is the chief designer of a secret government project. He and his team have built an advanced supercomputer, called "Colossus", to control all of the United States and Allied nuclear weapons systems.

:eek:

jeffyjeep
04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I saw that at the Lakes Drive-In in Brighton, MI.

Yes, I'm THAT old.

Pem Tech
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

wait for it....

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

:chuckle:

blackshire
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Dr. Charles A. Forbin is the chief designer of a secret government project. He and his team have built an advanced supercomputer, called "Colossus", to control all of the United States and Allied nuclear weapons systems.

:eek:

.Just last week I heard that a re-make of "The Forbin Project" is in production.

El Cheapo
04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Really??? Hopefully it won't be much more than the decals alone are now...youch

Shreadvector
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I made a reference to that movie in the Commodore 64 thread on TRF. Nobody got it.

"WARN: THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM"

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

wait for it....

wait for it.....

wait for it.....

InFlight
04-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Does Sandman sell a decal for the COLOSSUS? :cool:

I don't see one on the site.

sandman
04-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Does Sandman sell a decal for the COLOSSUS? :cool:

I don't see one on the site.

No I don't.

Nobody ever asked for one. :rolleyes:

I'll draw one up if somebody wants it.

BTW does anybody have a scan of the Colossus decals?

InFlight
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I just bought two Maxi Alpha kits and plan to convert one into a Colossus. :D

So, I would buy a decal set if you offered one.

sandman
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM

I still need a scan of the Colossus decals.

I'll look around and get back to you.

Initiator001
04-15-2011, 01:36 PM

I will need Maxi Alpha and Colossus decals, Gordy. ;)

DaveR
04-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Scigs30 did a build thread on the Colossus a couple of years ago. He scanned the decals but the file was too large to post here. Maybe he could send you the file.

Scigs original build thread here:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5479

sandman
04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I will need Maxi Alpha and Colossus decals, Gordy. ;)

The decal is a freakin' bear to redraw!

The "he-man" or whatever he is is proving tuff to draw.

just give me more time.

sandman
04-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Scigs30 did a build thread on the Colossus a couple of years ago. He scanned the decals but the file was too large to post here. Maybe he could send you the file.

Scigs original build thread here:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5479

Actually if I just had the length and height of "COLOSSUS" I could scale it from that.

I have "COLOSSUS" and the two chains finished. I just need the smaller Colossus with the he-man and the small he-man decals to finish.

Shreadvector
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
The decal is a freakin' bear to redraw!

The "he-man" or whatever he is is proving tuff to draw.

just give me more time.

You'll get sued if you call it "He-Man"(tm). Just call it a Gladiator.

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/001/apl-joey3.wav (http://new.wavlist.com/movies/001/apl-joey3.wav)

Bob Kaplow
04-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Exactly why I cloned a Maxi Alpha years ago. Made it with aircraft ply fins, and an ejection baffle. It's had a couple rough landings over the years, and I really should replace the main tube, but it still flies OK.

mrhemi1971
04-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Harsh Negativity is not only more entertaining, it is also much closer to all reality than always trying to find the positive anyway.
Being a villain is far more fun than a hero...the rules are better too.
Hyuk, yuk, yuk, yuk ! :chuckle:

I love the busting of stones on this forum!!!

I have a couple of the Maxi-3's that I've been flying for years, one had it's fin can rebuilt and reinforced due to chute failure, then the other I built with aeropoxy and I dare it to break! It's all how you build them in my book. I come from the old school of build it better (Can't leave anything alone, I'm an engineer).

They should make that fin can in white or chrome so we can make some Maxi Quasars!! with no fin tip breakage, 'cause they'd be clipped fins!

Royatl
04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Flew the Maxi Alpha 3 yesterday at the SoAR launch. Perfect flight on an E9-4, just starting to tip over at ejection.

Initiator001
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Flew the Maxi Alpha 3 yesterday at the SoAR launch. Perfect flight on an E9-4, just starting to tip over at ejection.

Darn, you flew your Maxi Alpha 3 before me. ;)

I'm building my MA3 right now (I am waiting for some glue to set). I modified mine with a thicker-walled motor tube and ejection baffle system. My original MA3 (circa 1985) last 30-40 flights before the motor tube experienced a burn-through.

I plan to fly it at the local launch this coming Saturday.

dyaugo
04-25-2011, 12:57 AM

I have an extra E launch set if you guys are interested?

dyaugo
04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Darn, you flew your Maxi Alpha 3 before me. ;)

I'm building my MA3 right now (I am waiting for some glue to set). I modified mine with a thicker-walled motor tube and ejection baffle system. My original MA3 (circa 1985) last 30-40 flights before the motor tube experienced a burn-through.

I plan to fly it at the local launch this coming Saturday.

seems like an easy kit just to scratch build...

Royatl
04-25-2011, 02:40 AM
seems like an easy kit just to scratch build...

Sure ...if you can machine a mold for the plastic parts and then have a plastic injection machine available to make a few parts sets.

Now, you *could* easily scratch build a Maxi Alpha. But then that wouldn't be a Maxi Alpha 3.

ghrocketman
04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Yah, you would not have a MA3, but a Maxi Alpha, which eliminates the WEAK LINK of the Maxi Alpha 3, the plastic fins and their goofy attachment method.
The original "catalogue photo model" Colossus used WOOD fins like the Maxi Alpha, not the plastic in the production Colossus.

In my book, if a rocket is this large and cannot handle the kick of an E30/E28 or F39, something is UNDER built or designed.

Flying ANY of the Estes "Maxi Brutes" on a D12-x in any field larger than a typical elementary school playground results in a major HUM-DRUM BOOOORRRRRIIIINNNGGGG result.

The Maxi Alpha 3 has been re-issued AT LEAST twice. While I do like this rocket, it is one that the "New" Estes would have been well served by making it "New and Improved" with an actual fin CAN that could take some real thrust AS DELIVERED.

sandman
04-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Still need dimensions for the Colossus decal.

Anybody?

chrism
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Scigs built a Colossus and posted it on YORF, maybe he can help.

Ltvscout
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Scigs built a Colossus and posted it on YORF, maybe he can help.
I'm way ahead of you. ;) I asked David for his scan the other week, but he has it on a thumb drive that he can't find right now. As soon as he finds it he said he'd send it to me.

DWolman
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I have the Colossus decals if they're still needed; I may be able to scan but it may be easier to just mail them to Sandman....

dan

dyaugo
04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
That MAXI Alpha is a sweet kit...probably be cool to cluster it....

Shreadvector
04-27-2011, 07:49 AM
That MAXI Alpha is a sweet kit...probably be cool to cluster it....

There is no Maxi Alpha kit. There is only a Maxi Alpha 3 kit and it has huge plastic motor mount centering rings which will require massive carving and hacking to accommodate a cluster.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1321_MaxiAlphaIII/est1321.pdf (http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1321_MaxiAlphaIII/est1321.pdf)

Bill
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
There is no Maxi Alpha kit. There is only a Maxi Alpha 3 kit and it has huge plastic motor mount centering rings which will require massive carving and hacking to accommodate a cluster.

Better to kitbash one out of an Executioner. Those TTW fins are just beggin for 24mm motor tubes between those tabs...

Bill

Initiator001
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I just finished assembling one of the new Estes Maxi Alpha 3 kits.

Mine is slightly modified with a thicker walled motor mount tube, ejection baffle and longer shock cord.

Leo
06-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Bob and anyone else who has built the new MA3.

How much does your kit weight without engine?

Mine comes in at 8.5 ounces.

Initiator001
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Bob and anyone else who has built the new MA3.

How much does your kit weight without engine?

Mine comes in at 8.5 ounces.

My MA3 weighs in at 8.6 ounces.

I did not paint the body tube but I did add a baffle, heavier-walled motor mount tube and longer shock cord.

BEC
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I have an MA3 from the prior reissue - unpainted except for the nose cone and with a Semroc BT-80 baffle installed, it is just a hair over 8.0 ounces, FWIW.

Leo
06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks Bob, so ours have the same weight. Good to know.

I get the funny feeling that the nose cone in the new kit is heavier than the original nose cone (I don't have one to compare). I had a lot off left over plastic in my nose cone that I carefully removed with a drill by making little pieces so they would fall out.