PDA

View Full Version : Chili

Nuke Rocketeer
06-08-2006, 07:34 AM
It seems to me that there was a thread last year on chili and some Ohio yankees commented about some pap made around Cincinatti called 'chili' that they seemed to like. Well, due to my varied interests (yes, I do like other things besides rockets), I found an article on the origins of chili, and yes, it was invented in Texas.

The National Dish of Texas
by C. F. Eckhardt
Chili con carne is the national dish of Texas. It was invented in Texas by Texas natives-literally-and it's made right only in Texas.

Chili was born in San Antonio in the mid-18th Century. Christianized Indians at the missions and private soldiers at Presidio San Antonio de Bejár didn't get the best cuts of meat. Those went to the presidial officers and the priests and 'puros españoles' in the hamlet of San Fernando de Bejár that was growing up around the presidio and closer missions. What the 'po' folks' got was, mostly, poor doe and old goat. Poor doe is an old, tough deer-female-and her meat is tough as a boot. Meat from old goats is not only tough, but it tastes terrible. Something had to be done both to tenderize the meat and to kill the taste.

The solution was to stew the meat with spices until it was tenderized and tasted only of the spices, their taste completely masking any taste the meat itself might have. Oregano, garlic, the native chiles that grew wild in the area, cumin, and perhaps a dozen other spices were used to kill the taste of meat from an old goat. Stewing the meat for hours on end tenderized it.

Chili, as it is called today is properly chiles con carne-peppers with meat. Notice there is no mention of frijoles-beans here, nor of spaghetti, nor of macaroni, nor of any of the many things outsiders have added to chili. A proper bowl of chili is meat and the spices necessary to turn it into chili, nothing more.

The first commercial bowls of chili ever sold were sold on the streets of downtown San Antonio, beginning in the early 1880s. San Antonio's Chili Queens were a fixture in downtown until 1943, when health concerns-mainly on the part of Army medical personnel-shut them down.

A Chili Queen was a young, attractive Hispanic girl who served as the draw. There was a cast-iron pot of chili on a bed of coals and sand in the back of a mule drawn wagon or later Model T truck, and a supply of bowls and spoons. For a nickel or later a dime, you could buy a bowl of chili, which would be ladled out of the open-top pot into a crockery bowl and handed to you by the Chili Queen. There was, admittedly, little in the way of sanitation in Chili Queen chili. Other towns, most notably Austin and Athens, had tamale vendors, but only San Antonio seems to have had the Chili Queens.

There is very little similarity between the chili made by the mission Indians and Chili Queens and what is served as 'chili con carne' by restaurants that serve true chili. The best chili, however, is home made. This is how to make it.

First, start with good meat. Forget hamburger, ground round, or even 'chili grind.' Buy a couple of pounds of beef stew meat. Trim the fat and sinew off the stew meat and cut it into chunks about the size of the end of a large man's thumb. This is the carne-the meat. From here on you turn it into chiles con carne-peppers with meat.

Put just enough olive oil-or lard if you choose-into a heavy skillet so that you'll coat the bottom of the skillet. Tear up an ancho pepper-the big, dry, dark red one-and add the skin but not the seeds to the pan. Then take about half a tablespoon of whole comino-cumin seeds-not ground cumin, and crush them by rubbing them between your hands over the skillet, letting the broken and crushed seeds fall into the skillet. Turn on medium heat beneath the skillet and add the meat, stirring and turning it to get all parts of it into the oil you've seasoned with ancho pepper skin and crushed comino.

Into a large cast iron pot-or a slow cooker, they work too-put about 4 ounces of prepared chili powder-Bolner's, of San Antonio, is best, Gebhardt's a close second, and brand-name chili powders go downhill from there. Add another torn-up ancho-skin only-and another tablespoon or so of crushed comino. Chop a medium onion and put it in the pot. You can add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic if you choose, an extra teaspoon or so of oregano. The beauty of chili is it's an individual's dish, and as long as the very basics are adhered to, it's possible to add spices to individual tastes.

Last comes the liquid. Some people use a can of tomato sauce, some a couple of small cans of tomato paste and additional liquid, some diced tomatoes. My personal preference is for RoTel diced tomatoes with green chiles, but not the kind with added cilantro and lime juice. One of the 10oz cans is perfect, though more liquid will be needed.

Now you decide how hot your chili's going to be. The RoTel tomatoes will give it a base of chemical heat, and that may be enough for some people. The idea is to make the chili hot enough that you feel the heat about halfway down your esophagus, but it doesn't burn your mouth. If it burns your mouth, you've overdone it. In my chili, I add-sparingly-dried chiles pequeños or chilipitines, as they are often called. A half-dozen or so, broken and added to the ingredients, is about right. If you don't have chilipitines growing in your yard and you can't find the dried ones on the grocery shelf, about half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper will be enough.

Once the meat is brown on all sides, add it to the pot or cooker. Check to see how thick the mix is once you've stirred it. A large spoon should stand at first, then slowly topple if it's thick enough. If it's too thick and the spoon doesn't topple, add about half a tomato can of either water or beer. Cover the pot or slow cooker and put the on a back burner with a very low heat under it or turn the slow cooker to low. You'll have to watch the pot fairly closely over the next four or five hours, but if you're using a slow cooker just forget about it for about 12 hours. The slow cooker's not going to burn the stuff, but if enough liquid escapes the cast-iron pot over a fire or electric element, the stuff inside will burn. If, after you remove the chili from the fire, it seems a little thin, there's a right way and a wrong way to thicken it. The right way is to take masa-either corn or harina (wheat), though masa de maize works best-add enough water to it to make a thick but flowable mixture, and add that to the chili, stirring it in thoroughly. Then put the chili back on the heat for another half hour or so.

OK. It's twelve hours later and you've turned off the slow cooker. Now it's time to eat the chili, right? WRONG! This is where all chili-cookoff chili and 99 out of every hundred pots of home-made chili are not exactly ruined, but are denied the opportunity to taste as good as they can taste. Don't eat that chili yet! Let the iron pot or slow-cooker liner cool, then put it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. This sets the spices and allows the full flavor of the chili to develop. Then reheat it and serve it. The only additions to the chili are the traditional one-saltine crackers, crumbled and stirred in-and a non-traditional but popular one. That's Fritos corn chips, crumbled and stirred in.

Now-where did the idea of putting beans in chili get started? Probably during the First World War. There were 'meatless' days-usually Tuesdays-during WW I, and somehow the fact that people at home weren't eating meat was supposed to help the war effort. Beans are, sometimes, a mediocre substitute for meat. It's entirely possible that, even in San Antonio, when meat was in short supply, pinto beans were substituted for meat in a chili-seasoned dish, or even that the meat supply for the chili was stretched by adding beans. However, this was only a temporary, stopgap measure until meat was again available. It is possible that some servicemen from the North got hold of chili that had its meat supply 'stretched' with beans and thought that was the way chili was supposed to be made. This would certainly have taken the idea of chili with beans in it to the North, from which it would return to Texas many years later.

What about the other 'additives'-in particular macaroni and spaghetti? These seem to be strictly a Yankee invention. It's pretty much certain that the inventors of chili, the mission Indians and poor soldiers of the presidio, had no idea what either was. During the Chili Queen period macaroni was mostly 'macaroni and cheese,' served in homes. Spaghetti was found only in Italian restaurants, of which there weren't a lot in Texas in the period. Northern-born soldiers, having served in San Antonio and at other South Texas bases often fell in love with chili. It's by no means impossible that they took ingredients for chili back home, gave them to Mama Italiana, and said "Can you make stuff with this?" Mama Italiana, being Mama Italiana, is going to add either spaghetti or macaroni to the concoction, both to stretch the meat supply and because spaghetti and macaroni were and are staples in Italian homes. It wouldn't be a far step from that for the same stuff to show up in Papa Italiano's corner café, at which point Northerners are going to get the idea that chili is supposed to have macaroni or spaghetti in it.

JSP
06-08-2006, 08:32 AM
As a Texas native, I've often heard people argue about chili deep into the night...Ok, maybe not often, but at least a couple of times. The "beans" issue is usually the biggest debate, seconded by the "how hot should it be?" issue. While I agree with the previous article in almost every instance, I would say that REALLY good chili should burn all the way down. You should be able to still feel the warmth a while after eating a bowl, and perspiration isn't a bad sign. No, we Texans aren't insane (at least not because of hot chili) It turns out that the hotter the chili is, the more endorphins (sp?) are released. Couple that with a few really good margaritas (or tequilla shots for the purist) and you're in a chemically induced Heaven like no other. True, later you'll feel like crud, but at the time it's wonderful. But I digress...
I can honestly say that I've never even heard of anyone putting any type of pasta in chili, and if anyone tried around here they would probably be hanged. We Texans are a bit touchy about our chili. Especially if tequilla is involved...

ghrocketman
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
I say the lower ranks are SUPPOSED to get meat TOUGH AS A BOOT !
One can't expect a Corporal to eat the same chow as a Colonel on a daily basis can we ?
That gives them incentive to increase their rank !
Pasta in Chili ? That's pure blasphemy....even us northerners up here in Michigan know that.
I gotta vote for beans in Chili (I use four different kinds in mine). I use lots of LEAN ground sirloin/round in my Chili also.
I gotta vote for the heat/spiciness....I use a combo of habanero, chili, and cayenne peppers.
Most Northerners up here think one tablespoon of McCormick Chili powder in a whole pot of Chili is hot....what a joke.
After a bowl, I like to have just a few drops of sweat on the forehead....then it is hot enough.

JSP
06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Actually I've seen chili made with good cuts of steak. I'm not sure why. Maybe they're trying to prove that they've "increased their rank." Personally, I think most people are rank enough already...

Nuke Rocketeer
06-08-2006, 10:10 AM
The best chili not only burns all the way down, but will also still be burning the next day at the other end. My yankee wife is among those who think one teaspoon of McCormick chili powder is enough spice and likes to dish it out over a bowl of pasta. At least she does not put it in the chili pot any more.

Joe W

ghrocketman
06-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Now that seems like a waste of perfectly good steak....you should have your steak ALONGSIDE your bowl of chili !
Some folks around here make turkey or chicken versions of chili....that's baloney if you ask me.
I can get into moose, elk, caribou, or buffalo in addition to or in combination with good old ground BEEF for chili, but no non-RED meat belongs in anything called Chili !

My wife thinks my chili is too spicy but she does like it....it is one of the few dishes that I have refused to tone down for her....if you don't cook it with the spices in and try to add them to each bowl, the flavor is nowhere near the same.

I'm not surprised that in Texas hangin' is a word contained in the same sentence as Chili with pasta. That word should be in there....chili is NOT Italian !

JSP
06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I totally agree with the steak thing... I like to actually taste mine.

On the "Yankee" thing, I was once in a Mexican food restaurant in Dallas and I overheard a bunch of yahoos from New York totally reaming out the manager because, and I kid you not, they said it should be against the law to serve food that spicy and they might even sue. Ok, let's look at the situation here:

1. They're in TEXAS.
2. It's a MEXICAN FOOD place
3. THEY ordered the food with the little chili pepper printed next to it on the menu.

The manager was totally nice, but I think the laugher from the other patrons who overheard the exchange rather got to them. They left in a huff...and are probably still complaining about how rude people from Texas are.... :p

ghrocketman
06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
New Yorkers complainin' about how hot food is in Texas....what a huge JOKE !
YAHOO (or YAYHOO depending on which one prefers) is about the NICEST thing I would have called them before I would have thrown them out.
Getting mild Chili in Texas is about as likely as getting Pizza in New York City without a quart of grease/lard on it (which I find TOTALLY DISGUSTING).

No offense intended to New Yorkers, but anytime one has to fold a slice of pizza to prevent a greasy mess, there is something OBNOXIOUSLY WRONG !
Everybody knows to get real Pizza one goes to CHICAGO anyway.
(Slightly off topic)

JSP
06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Actually the reason these guys were in Texas may have been because they were kicked out of New York ;)

I agree thay you can't beat Chicago pizza. I'm not sure what the difference is, but you just can't get it anywhere else. You know, I'm getting a little hungry here...

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I live Texas chili. I like Cincinnati chili. I like Chicago pizza. I like New York pizza. I like Ft. Thomas pizza.

Bob H
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I live Texas chili. I like Cincinnati chili. I like Chicago pizza. I like New York pizza. I like Ft. Thomas pizza.

You like White Castles. ;) You like Krystals. ;)

Do I detect a trend here? Would it be easier for you to tell us what you don't like? :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
You like White Castles. ;) You like Krystals. ;)

Do I detect a trend here? Would it be easier for you to tell us what you don't like? :rolleyes:

Lima beans.

DeanHFox
06-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Lima beans.

Hey, Bill --- is that a crack about people from Lima, Ohio? :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Hey, Bill --- is that a crack about people from Lima, Ohio? :)

Nah, it's a great place. They have a Skyline right off the exit. (IIRC.) ;)

Texas Charley
07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm very pleased that my article on Chili con Carne from TexasEscapes.com got a favorable reception here. I might add that I've been served things called 'chili' even here in Texas that I wouldn't feed even to the worst example of a Yankee. I got a bowl of chili in an 'upscale' restaurant in San Antonio, of all places--the home of chili con carne--that had a dollop of SOUR CREAM atop it. The 'chef' must have come from California--that's where they ruin everything by dumping sour cream on it.

In Louisville, Kentucky, at a place called Old El Paso Chile Bowl, in downtown, I--being a Texan and a long way from home--ordered a bowl of chili. They brought me a vaguely chili-powder flavored thin stew with hamburger meat in it. I dipped my spoon in and some long, sort of whitish things came up. I said 'What's this in the chili?" The proprietor said "Spaghetti, of course." In Cincinnati I was served something they called 'chili.' It had a little more body and spice to it than the Louisville stuff--not much, but a little--but it was full of macaroni. In Oregon in 1989--I was there for the Western Writers of America convention--I was served something they called 'chili.' I don't know what it was, but it was SWEET ! Chili ain't s'pos'd ta be SWEET! I told those folks "I don't know what this is, but chili it ain't."