PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Terrier Orion?

jspitza
03-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi guys:
While reading the new issue of Sport Rocketry I could not help notice the Terrier Orion printed in the Semroc page spread and could not find anything on the website. Any info about this kit? Thanks and take care, Jeff.

hcmbanjo
03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
I think you might mean the upcoming Nike Tomahawk kit. It's part of the Deci/Scale line.

Check out this page and scroll down for all the upcoming kits:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/Kits.asp

jspitza
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, hcmbanjo. I can't wait to build this one! Take care, Jeff

Ltvscout
03-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Quest has a very nice Terrier-Orion designed by Matt Steele. You can find it here:

http://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=2015&eq=&Tp=

foamy
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
I like Semroc's Deci-Scale kits (actually, most anything they produce) and have the IRIS and IQSY Tomahawk. I noticed two more Deci-Scale's in the works besides the Terrier Orion (which I guess I'm going to have to get. )—an Aerobee 150 and an Arcas. Joy!

I was considering the Quest model, but I'll wait for Semroc.

I need to build more.

Bill
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
I think you might mean the upcoming Nike Tomahawk kit. It's part of the Deci/Scale line.

I was wondering when Carl was going to notice that any Nike based on a BT-60 qualifies for Deci-Scale.

Bill

stefanj
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Wait . . . Terror Onion?

Oh.

I'd better clean off my glasses.

Spaceclipper
04-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Noticed the first Semroc Micro Max motor rocket on the list- Micro Arcas, also a "Baby Orion". Both on the must buy list. Also looking forward to "The Visitor" kit which I think was announce quite awhile ago I think. Still would like the Saturn V even with the Estes kit out would like a Semroc version...

Earl
04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Noticed the first Semroc Micro Max motor rocket on the list- Micro Arcas, also a "Baby Orion". Both on the must buy list. Also looking forward to "The Visitor" kit which I think was announce quite awhile ago I think. Still would like the Saturn V even with the Estes kit out would like a Semroc version...

I had suggested to Carl, and maybe he had thought of it already, that maybe they should look at a smaller Saturn V offering, much like the smaller scale version Estes had from the late 60s till the late 70s. I know the Estes kit goes for quite a pile of cash when they come up on ebay, and it would seem to be a pretty straightforward one to develop, partswise.

I never had one that size (I just have the Centuri Saturn V from back in the day, and a number of unbuilt Estes 30th anniversary Saturn Vs ) but it would seem the smaller version would certainly be a quick build and a 'convenient' size Saturn V to fly on a regular basis. Plus, I'm not away of another commercial Saturn V offering in that size currently.

Earl

mwtoelle
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Semroc already has most of the unique parts except for the clear plastic pieces in stock. The wrap-ons and patterns just need to be downloaded from the JimZ site.

Bob H
04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I had suggested to Carl, and maybe he had thought of it already, that maybe they should look at a smaller Saturn V offering, much like the smaller scale version Estes had from the late 60s till the late 70s. I know the Estes kit goes for quite a pile of cash when they come up on ebay, and it would seem to be a pretty straightforward one to develop, partswise.

I never had one that size (I just have the Centuri Saturn V from back in the day, and a number of unbuilt Estes 30th anniversary Saturn Vs ) but it would seem the smaller version would certainly be a quick build and a 'convenient' size Saturn V to fly on a regular basis. Plus, I'm not away of another commercial Saturn V offering in that size currently.

EarlI think the Dr. Zooch kit is this size.

Initiator001
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
It looks like Semroc has quite a few models in the pipeline.

I'm waiting for the Enerjet Athena! :)

Crocodile
04-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I have my credit card sitting by the computer...waiting for the new SEMROC releases...... Hehehehehehehehe........ It is just so cool getting all the stuff I was unable to afford when I was in high school & college. It's like being 15 years old....

Earl
04-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Semroc already has most of the unique parts except for the clear plastic pieces in stock. The wrap-ons and patterns just need to be downloaded from the JimZ site.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking of it not so much for a personal build, but as a market oppportunity for Semroc possibly.

I know they probaby put a great deal of work into their 1/100 Saturn V offering, only to have Estes somewhat 'upstage' their offering by announcing the re-re-release of the Estes Saturn V late last summer. I think Carl even commented that they had somewhat tempered their efforts on their Saturn V in light of the Estes release.

I was thinking that Carl & Co could take the opportunity to offer a Retro-Repro, so to speak, of the Estes smaller scale Saturn V (in a quality kit for, true to Semroc's offerings) and at least get some market sales there, if they are not going to release their 1/100 scale version (or even if they DO release their 1/100 scale size).

As mentioned, those vintage Estes smaller scale Saturn Vs seem to attract a pretty penny or two when put up on ebay.

Earl

Bill
04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I think the Dr. Zooch kit is this size.

That is correct...BT-60 for the lower stages.

Saturn Press (Peter Alway) has a slightly larger one, but it is more detailed and much more expensive, so the pucker factor is still there when flying that one.

Bill

mwtoelle
04-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I was kinda thinking of it not so much for a personal build, but as a market oppportunity for Semroc possibly.

The K-39 could use a few improvements. I'm sure if Carl released a 1:242 scale Satrun V, it would be significantly improved from the Estes version. However, Dr. Zooch addressed the deficiencies of the K-39 in both of his Saturn V kits.

I was thinking that Carl & Co could take the opportunity to offer a Retro-Repro, so to speak, of the Estes smaller scale Saturn V (in a quality kit for, true to Semroc's offerings) and at least get some market sales there, if they are not going to release their 1/100 scale version (or even if they DO release their 1/100 scale size).

As mentioned, those vintage Estes smaller scale Saturn Vs seem to attract a pretty penny or two when put up on ebay.

I picked up an opened one about ten years ago on YORS for less than $100. It was the kit used for the scans on JimZ. :D I haven't built it, yet. My father built an early production kit back in 1976. The earliest kits came with a piece of PST-60 or 65 that needed a piece removed from it to fit inside the main body tube.

hcmbanjo
04-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Earl

The Dr. Zooch Saturn V is the same size as the old Estes smaller semi scale model.
The Estes version
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes74/74est32.html
had larger clear plastic fins and no nozzles.
The Dr. Zooch Saturn has no clear fins and nozzles that stay on during flight!
The printed wraps are better and include a detailed command module tube wrap.

The Zooch version is a definate step up from the old kit and a favorite flyer.
I did a picture review of it on my blog at:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/11/model-profile-dr-zooch-saturn-v.html

Ltvscout
04-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I picked up an opened one about ten years ago on YORS for less than $100. It was the kit used for the scans on JimZ. :D
Ah yes. Those were the days... ;)

Earl
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
The Dr. Zooch Saturn V is the same size as the old Estes smaller semi scale model.
The Estes version
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes74/74est32.html
had larger clear plastic fins and no nozzles.
The Dr. Zooch Saturn has no clear fins and nozzles that stay on during flight!
The printed wraps are better and include a detailed command module tube wrap.

The Zooch version is a definate step up from the old kit and a favorite flyer.
I did a picture review of it on my blog at:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/11/model-profile-dr-zooch-saturn-v.html

I was not sure of the exact size of the Dr. Zooch kits. While I've not built one of their kits, I guess I kinda thought the Dr. Zooch kits were somewhat of an Internet/Ebay 'joke' offering...some of the details look a little overdone to me and seems I've a copy of one of their kit instruction sheets or something from them and it sounded like some kind of a joke or something out of Mad magazine (just my impression). So, I really was not sure exactly WHAT their kits were like.

In any event, I'd like to see what kind of kit offering Semroc could turn out for this model, seeing the quality of their prior stuff.

Earl

Jeff Walther
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I have my credit card sitting by the computer...waiting for the new SEMROC releases...... Hehehehehehehehe........ It is just so cool getting all the stuff I was unable to afford when I was in high school & college. It's like being 15 years old....

Yes, well....

I kind of went crazy my own self. Then I got busy with life again (not getting to many club launches because my son is playing two seasons of baseball and basketball in between each year) and decided that until I had time to build them, I should put these unbuilt kits in the attic. And soon discovered that I had six largish boxes of unbuilt kits that I had somehow purchased in the last year and a half.

It is cool to be able to afford the stuff we couldn't when we were kids, but is there really a point to buying kits faster than one can build them? I guess to get them before they become unavailable, but then there are always more kits coming down the pike.

I'm leaning toward an alternate philosophy of only buy what I'm about to build right now, and don't worry about the stuff that came and went -- except those Estes Saturn V's at the new lower price...

To be vaguely on topic, I did build the Terrier Orion from Quest. I have a lot of trouble with that model tangling in its parachute during recovery.

jbuscaglia
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
It is cool to be able to afford the stuff we couldn't when we were kids, but is there really a point to buying kits faster than one can build them?

That way, we have them for when we can no longer afford to buy them after retirement. :D

Just kidding. (I hope!)

Bill
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
That way, we have them for when we can no longer afford to buy them after retirement. :D

Just kidding. (I hope!)

Think of them as something to give your offspring or other relatives when they BAR.

Bill

ghrocketman
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Had the same problem with my Terrier-Orion from Quest as well-chute tangling.
I now recover it in two pieces.

Jeff Walther
04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Had the same problem with my Terrier-Orion from Quest as well-chute tangling.
I now recover it in two pieces.

That's a good idea. I should have thought of that. I would worry about additional recovery effort, but I've noticed in actual launches, that multi-part rockets seem to touch down in a smallish region. Even the Heliocopter using a parachute on one piece and a helicopter nose cone on the other manages to put both of its components within about 30 yards of each other in my experience.

I've been tempted to buy another Terrier Orion and modify it to gap stage...

But I will not submit that order until the bench is clear and waiting. No really. :-)

Besides, the bench is covered in electronic bits right now. I owe a guy in the UK an electronics module for a never-sold proto-type Macintosh. I told him it would take a really long time, but 1.5 years is probably pushing it. In my defense, it's not for pay, and I did do the initial build a year ago and some parts he supplied didn't work as we both expected. Sigh. The little time available since has been spent on experimenting on work arounds.