PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Scrambler -- Woohoo!

Jeff Walther
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I just noticed that Semroc is offering a retro-repro of the Scrambler. Okay, apparently, I'm a few months late, but still, I'm excited. Especially after putting a fair amount of energy into trying to figure out how to clone the payload section: Payload Tube for K-37/1237 Scrambler (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5462)

Now I'm just sitting here arguing with myself about buying one (or two). I'm trying to stick to a policy of only buying a new rocket when I'm ready to actually build it. But if I stick to that, the Scrambler could come and go before I have bench time available for it, even if it is at the front of the rocket queue. Too much non-rocket life in the way. Sigh.

Jeff Walther
05-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, I did exactly that. Sigh. Waited to buy because I was not ready to build it, and now Carl and Semroc and the Retro Repro Scrambler are gone. Darn. That's what I get for trying to not fill up the attic with unbuilt rocket kits. And no trident either -- was definitely going to buy a few of those.

Sure, it's been three years since my previous post, but in another two years my son will be done with Little League Baseball, will have moved on to High School BB, or not, and with my coaching days behind me, all kinds of rocket time would/will become available....

foamy
05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I did the same thing. Saw the Scrambler, thought: Oh, cool. It's in the line-up, now. I'll have to get that one some time down the road when I'm ready to build it. I said that about quite a few of Semroc's offerings.

When I realized that Semroc would not be manufacturing or realeasing any more kits—I jumped.
Managed a Scrambler, a back-up Centurion, Snipe Hunter, Astro-1 (my favorites) and a few kits that I had been meaning to buy at some point. The Trident got away from me, though. I didn't get interested in it until it was too late.

One other rocket I had hoped to build down the road was the Hustler. I managed to find a Lil' Hustler before it was too late and that will pretty much scratch that itch. I was fortunate, a lot of the Retro-Repro's and more involved Semroc designs pretty much vaporized in the span of a week or so.

If there's anything from Red River that you might want to build—now's the time.

ghrocketman
05-13-2014, 09:36 AM
I have a Scrambler I'm getting ready to build right now. Also have 2 Hustler kits. One was pieced together before they packaged it and one NIB. I also have a prototype Semroc Enerjet Athena kit that Carl sent me gratis when I identified some flaws in his parts list. That one most likely will never get built nor sold. way too valuable to me. Semroc never kitted the Athena due to not being able to find a suitable source for the wraps was my understanding.

dlazarus6660
05-13-2014, 03:02 PM
IThe Trident got away from me, though. I didn't get interested in it until it was too late.

The Trident would be easy to clone. The nose cones/tail cones would be the most expensive parts unless you use plastic NC's.

Jeff Walther
05-13-2014, 05:49 PM
When I realized that Semroc would not be manufacturing or realeasing any more kits—I jumped.
Managed a Scrambler, a back-up Centurion, Snipe Hunter, Astro-1 (my favorites) and a few kits that I had been meaning to buy at some point. The Trident got away from me, though. I didn't get interested in it until it was too late.

I haven't been stopping by often enough....

I actually did see the sad news about Carl, but because the intent at that time was to keep Semroc going, I didn't put together an order. I think I considered it, but I owed a fair bit in taxes this year, so wanted to wait. I just waited a little too long.

I also was going to get an assortment of BT-101 body tube and rings and try some Saturn V experiments -- building the basic SV structure without all the pretties, and experimenting with staging and clusters and recovery. I might still be able to manage that if anyone sells the BT-101 tubing.

But I think Semroc had a balsa cone that would work for an Apollo capsule and one that would work as the cap of the escape tower as well, IIRC. There was a thread where Carl suggested some of their parts for that...

They are definitely going to be missed. I hope that the knowledge of the source for the Scrambler payload tube is passed on by some mechanism. The ideal would be if they can find a buyer for Semroc.