PDA

View Full Version : Super Alpha question for JumpJet

Bill
04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I noticed last week that newer Super Alpha kits have been packed with a plastic nose cone like the ones used with the Der Red Max and Mean Machine kits instead of the more similar (to the regular Alpha) one of the Stormcaster or Patriot missile kits.

The longer, round-tipped cone does not look right to me at all.

Is this a permanent situation or just temporary until Estes can ramp up production of the shorter cones?

In other words, is the current version of the kit destined to become a collector's item?

Bill

JumpJet
04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I can't answer about the shape of the plastic cone in the Super Alpha kit but I will look into it.

I would say any Estes kit that currently uses a balsa wood nose cones won't have balsa wood nose cones if them for very long.

John Boren

Shreadvector
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll assume that means that an investment in a 55 gallon drum of Balsa Fillercoat was a bad idea.....;)

Doug Sams
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I noticed last week that newer Super Alpha kits have been packed with a plastic nose cone like the ones used with the Der Red Max and Mean Machine kits instead of the more similar (to the regular Alpha) one of the Stormcaster or Patriot missile kits.

The longer, round-tipped cone does not look right to me at all.I had a streak when I was a kid that had an ogive nosecone on it. As I recall, it hung out over the sides a little like it was a BNC30 cone fit into the BT-10 mylar tube.

I want to say I was building another kit at the time, either the Scout or Sprite, and have often wondered if I somehow got the cones swapped. Those birds are long gone so I can't check to see if the Scout/Sprite ended up with the rounded Streak nosecone. But I don't recall either of them being not having a pointed cone.

In light of the Super Alpha substitution, I'm wondering if that was indeed the case with my Streak. While the Sprite and Scout cones are not the same size as the Streak tube, it doesn't take much work to fit the BNC-30 into the BT-10 tube. So it's not a far-fetched substitution. Now I'm thinking I didn't mix 'em up after all, that the Streak probably came that way with the pointed cone :)

Doug...thinking I need to build another Streak to emulate that one ;) (And also needing to build a BT-60 upscale Alpha :D)

Royatl
04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I had a streak when I was a kid that had an ogive nosecone on it. As I recall, it hung out over the sides a little like it was a BNC30 cone fit into the BT-10 mylar tube.

That was due to the plunge grinder (or the pattern on it) getting worn down after making so many nose cones. I can't tell you how many Big Bertha's and Alphas I saw with "expanded nose cones", and the BNC-20N and BNC-5W also had the problem to a certain extent.

Doug Sams
04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
That was due to the plunge grinder (or the pattern on it) getting worn down after making so many nose cones. I can't tell you how many Big Bertha's and Alphas I saw with "expanded nose cones", and the BNC-20N and BNC-5W also had the problem to a certain extent.If it was only bigger 'round, I'd buy that, Roy. But it was a different shape, on the order of the BNC-30D. Could the worn dies have affected that, too?

(BTW, I ain't complaining - I have nothing but fond memories of my Estes experiences back then :D )

Doug

Carl@Semroc
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
For the next few weeks, we will supply your choice of a BNC-60K or BNC-60KP balsa nose cone free with your next order to upgrade your Super Alpha from plastic to balsa.

Just put a note in the comments section like "Super Alpha Upgrade BNC-60K" (or KP.)

Ltvscout
04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
For the next few weeks, we will supply your choice of a BNC-60K or BNC-60KP balsa nose cone free with your next order to upgrade your Super Alpha from plastic to balsa.

Just put a note in the comments section like "Super Alpha Upgrade BNC-60K" (or KP.)
Whoa! Now that's what I call service!

This is a very generous offer. The cost of balsa has been skyrocketing. My guess is that is one of the reasons why Estes is now moving away from balsa cones again in their kits.

mrhemi1971
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I saw a few of the super alphas at Michaels here in NJ, I didn't get one because of that plastic cone not looking right. With Carl's upgrade and my coupon......Hmmmmm...

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I didn't like the looks of the plastic cone in the Super Alpha, (too generic looking,) so I picked up a balsa cone from Carl. Here are pics of the two cones on the primered bird. You be the judge.

Vanel
05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
2nd one definitely looks more "Alpha" ish.

Well done Bill!

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
2nd one definitely looks more "Alpha" ish.

Well done Bill!

More like "Well done, Semroc". ;)

Initiator001
05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I've been searching locally to find any 'original' versions of the Super Alpha kit. I did pick up a Super Alpha with the plastic nose cone for my collection as it will probbly be collectible in the future.

I finally did find a few of the balsa nose cone Super Alphas. It took awhile. I guess that just points to the popularity of this kit.

CJU
05-17-2011, 09:43 AM
One of my LHS had three balsa cone Super Alpha's and 3 with plastic. The local Hobby Lobby has one with plastic.

ghrocketman
05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
2nd pointy cone all the way in Bill's pics; way to go Semroc !
Typical going WAAAYYYY beyond the call of duty supporting a product that is not even of their brand !!!

I need to place an order for a BT-5 motor mount from Semroc so I can get free new cones for the 47 Super Alpha kits I just bought.... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Kudos to Carl & co !

Royatl
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
I didn't like the looks of the plastic cone in the Super Alpha, (too generic looking,) so I picked up a balsa cone from Carl. Here are pics of the two cones on the primered bird. You be the judge.

While the plastic cone is obviously not the right shape, it brings the model to about the right length, so it actually looks more "right" to me.

As it was originally, the kit was too short to look like an Alpha to me. If you paint part of the nose red, you can get an illusion of extra length, but not that much.

The Semroc cone does make the second look right, but the shorter length hurts it overall.

STRMan
05-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Just when I'm convinced there is nothing Semroc could do to make me like them better, I read something like this. So many other businesses would do well to follow your example Carl.

LeeR
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
While the plastic cone is obviously not the right shape, it brings the model to about the right length, so it actually looks more "right" to me.

As it was originally, the kit was too short to look like an Alpha to me. If you paint part of the nose red, you can get an illusion of extra length, but not that much.

The Semroc cone does make the second look right, but the shorter length hurts it overall.

I turned my own balsa cone for the Super Alpha over the weekend. Scaled up to the proper length, it should be 4.6" in length (exposed length). I picked up the kit at Hobby Lobby today for 40% off, and decided to check body tube length. It is 12" long, and scaled up it should be 13" long.

I guess besides the decals, I'll use the motor tube, launch lug, and fins (assuming they are scaled correctly).

Looks like the body tube AND nose cone go to the spare parts bin ...

JumpJet
07-06-2011, 11:34 PM
I guess besides the decals

I am not sure Dorffler's intent was to make an exact Scaled up Alpha. I know the Alpha has had a lot of different color schemes over the years. Are the decals included in this Super Alpha representative of one of the old color schemes or is this something that needs to be put into the parts bin as well.

John Boren

Bill
07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
I am not sure Dorffler's intent was to make an exact Scaled up Alpha. I know the Alpha has had a lot of different color schemes over the years. Are the decals included in this Super Alpha representative of one of the old color schemes or is this something that needs to be put into the parts bin as well.

I like the decals fine, though I would also like them if they were an upscale of the current "Alpha" name and fin stripes of the current regular Alpha kit. As far as the nose cone, I have been wanting to clone a Citation Patriot anyway.

Bill

BEC
07-07-2011, 01:31 AM
John, I like the kit's decals as well. My completely stock balsa-nosed Super Alpha (except for fitment of a Semroc BT-60 baffle assembly and static ports for use by an AltimeterOne) is a favorite flyer of mine. It goes to a bit over 1000 feet on an Aerotech D10.

I did manage to catch a second kit with the balsa NC at a Michael's store locally a few months ago. They had both types at the time.

LeeR
07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Here is the plastic nose cone from the Super Alpha, next to the balsa one I turned. I didn't make it super-sharp at the point, but ever so slightly rounded. I found an old 50K nose cone, and approximated the shape as I turned it.

Finished with thin CA prior to final shaping, to toughen it, then sanded it on the lathe. I used a thin slice of BT-60 on the dowel, between chuck and balsa block, so I could slip it onto the shoulder to get a good fit and a good match from nose cone to body tube.

dyaugo
07-08-2011, 12:14 AM
I like the balsa nose cone better....great job!!

space_bus
07-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Hello Carl, I'm wondering if Semroc is still honoring this extremely generous offer?

It's obviously been more than just a few weeks...

I just received an Estes Super Alpha kit with the plastic cone (so I'd like to get a proper balsa one for it).

By the way, I'm also curious if anything came of the Semroc BT-42-based 20 mm motor mount (for Quest D5's) mentioned in this thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6626&page=1&pp=10&highlight=d5-6)?

I have an Estes Big Daddy that I modified to optionally take two extra 24mm motors in a cluster (some pics in this old thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3735) ). I've only ever used D11-P's with it so far, but wouldn't mind trying it with a couple of Quest D5-0(P) motors if I get the chance. [I think the D5-0 is a bit shorter than the D5's with delay, so the adapter might not work anyway.]

Thanks!

timmwood
07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
I e-mailed Quest about D5 parts and they said they are in the warehouse but not in the web page. They promised to send me info and prices next week.

space_bus
07-24-2011, 04:56 AM
I e-mailed Quest about D5 parts and they said they are in the warehouse but not in the web page. They promised to send me info and prices next week.
I contacted Quest also, but haven't heard back. I was able to find 20mm tubes and centering rings to fit 20mm tubes inside Quest's 25mm tube on their website.

Carl@Semroc
08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Hello Carl, I'm wondering if Semroc is still honoring this extremely generous offer?

It's obviously been more than just a few weeks...

Still doing it! Just put it in notes.

5x7
11-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Just a heads up, Michaels on Street Rd. in Feasterville PA has two Super Alpha kits with the Balsa nosecones. They had three . :) When you check out they will give you a 40% off coupon that starts on 11/27.