PDA

View Full Version : All-Centuri LArge Scale launch

stefanj
06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Went to a backyard picnic and jam session at co-worker's house out in the sticks.

I brought a bunch of rockets with and launched most of 'em. As it happens, everything that flew was from the Large Scale Rocketry section of the old Centuri catalogs.

* SLS Scorpion: Flew on a C11-5. Nice high flight. The beautifully finished nose cone (rubbing compound and wax) got a nasty half-moon ding from snapping back into the body tube. I'll need to lengthen the shock cord before the next flight.

* Scratch-built Jaguar, C11-7. The delay was just a bit long. Streamer recovery let it come back alive. Recovered by a kid for the cost of a buck.

* Same Jaguar, on a E9-8. Whew! Really, really high flight. Neighbor on a ATV and his kid recovered what turned out to be just the nose cone and streamer. The fact that there were fields of tall grass didn't deter the same guy and his daughter from looking for the body. And they found it! Classic core sample, but the BT was intact.

* Scratch-built Hustler on a 24mm Aerotech RMS reload . . . F29 I think it was. Had to borrow the party host's spare battery to ignite the hand-dipped igniter. The reload kit was really old and took a few seconds to ignite. When it did, the model moved surprisingly fast. A nice straight, stable flight. Nose cone popped off (internal pressure?) but was easily recovered. Rest of model drifted down the road a bit.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Cool idea, but where are the pics? ;)