PDA

View Full Version : Estes Air Commander

Bill
05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Will the Air Commander reuse decals from the Interceptor or is it only the catalog model? The serial number FC-803 looked awfully familiar...

Bill

JumpJet
05-17-2011, 08:55 AM
The Decals will be what they will be. I don't know if they have changed much since this show model was created. Estes has always reused decals on models over the years.

John Boren

Chas Russell
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the reply John. Always good to get feedback from a good source. I was amused that there was a thread on how the mini Honest John has a "U.S. Military" decal instead of Army, but the Air Commander has the "U.S. Air Force" Decal.

Chas

Bill
05-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the reply John. Always good to get feedback from a good source. I was amused that there was a thread on how the mini Honest John has a "U.S. Military" decal instead of Army, but the Air Commander has the "U.S. Air Force" Decal.

Hmm, I never noticed the lettering on the Little John before.

Bill

JumpJet
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
but the Air Commander has the "U.S. Air Force" Decal.

Not any more!

John Boren

foamy
05-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Of the new Estes releases, the Air Commander and QCC Explorer are the two that pique my interest. If I could only buy one of the two—it would be the Air Commander. I just like it's look and two stages.

I'd like to buy them both but can't justify it at the moment as I have too many kits to build right now and there are a couple of scratch builds (three or four, really) that I'd like to get to as well. All of that and my build times are awfully slow.

ghrocketman
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I can't think of ANY actual vehicle that was ever labeled U.S. 'MILITARY' anywhere on the vehicle.
Humor aside, that makes as much sense as the jets in "Hot Shots" labeled "THE Navy"

Bill
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Not any more!

John Boren

You can fix that but not see fit to give us an unique serial number?

Bill

Bill
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I can't think of ANY actual vehicle that was ever labeled U.S. 'MILITARY' anywhere on the vehicle.
Humor aside, that makes as much sense as the jets in "Hot Shots" labeled "THE Navy"

Actually, thank you, Estes, for using "MILITARY' instead of some other word .

We can convert "MILITARY' to "ARMY" with letters left over. We have the technology...

Bill

sandman
05-17-2011, 02:36 PM

We can convert "MILITARY' to "ARMY" with letters left over. We have the technology...

Bill

And scissors! :D

LeeR
05-27-2011, 10:01 PM

Bill

I've been away from rockets for maybe 6-9 months (bought a lathe and did woodturning all winter ...). Anyway, I bought a Mini Honest John at Hobby Lobby for $6 using a coupon, and just noticed the "U S Military". Thought the same thing -- rearrange the letters!

Wow, what the heck is going on? Is our government demanding licensing fees now on old military products?

Bill
05-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow, what the heck is going on? Is our government demanding licensing fees now on old military products?

No, because it would have been no kit instead of just a different decal. The government has trademarked phrases like "US ARMY", "US NAVY" and "US AIR FORCE" though. I suppose we can look forward to Estes kits bearing "US VANY" and "UC ARSE FIRO" in the future...

There is also an ongoing fight over "Seal Team 6" between the Navy and Disney.

Some aerospace contractors have trademarked or copyrighted, not sure which, the designs of aircraft and rockets. I believe some airlines have done the same with their names or aircraft paint schemes, which is why I have never seen a kit of a Boeing 737 in Southwest Airlines decor.

Bill

Digitalastro
05-28-2011, 10:28 AM
No, because it would have been no kit instead of just a different decal. The government has trademarked phrases like "US ARMY", "US NAVY" and "US AIR FORCE" though. I suppose we can look forward to Estes kits bearing "US VANY" and "UC ARSE FIRO" in the future...

That sounds like a new contest, design the UC ARSE FIRO, the first chili powered rocket!