PDA

View Full Version : The Potatohead Rocketry Tau Zero Memorial Launch

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Late start, but I still managed to get in 10 flights today. The first four were something different, something I call a catalog page brace. I flew the rockets on pages 22-23 of the 1977 Estes catalog, the Cherokee D, A-20 Demon, Renegade and Sky Raider. All but the A-20 Demon were veterans, and even that had a couple on it. All four flights were great and all four landed in almost exactly the same place, a nice short walk from the pad. After that I made two flights with the Tau Zero, a B6-6 first flight, followed by a pull all stops C6-7 flight. Both were perfect and I even managed to get a launch pic while pushing the button myself. After that it was all gravy, so I flew my U.S.S. Atlantis Deux on a pair of C6-7's, Centuri Orion clone on an E9-6, Q-Modeling Rogue on an E9-6, and the Estes Sentinel clone on an E9-6, (had a lot of E9-6's on hand.) A great day of flying and a three way to finish things off. Can't ask for more than that. :eek: ;) :D

Vanel
06-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Bill,

I love the Demon - is she a scratch build, or a kit? If a scratch, where did you get the foil wrap?

Very nice set of birds, and I like the launch theme! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Bill,

I love the Demon - is she a scratch build, or a kit? If a scratch, where did you get the foil wrap?

Very nice set of birds, and I like the launch theme! :D

I should have mentioned that the A-20 Demon is a Pimp Daddy Rocketry bird. My favorite so far. I finished it on Saturday morning. I've also got the SS Cassiopeia and USS Atlantis. I flew the Cassiopeia before it was completely finished and landed it on the road, which crushed the ring fin and the fin fins. I've fixed it, but I've never gotten around to the decals. The A-20 Demon decals were great, but my latest kit from PD, the USS Atlantis, has a terrible set of decals. I e-mailed PD, but they're on vacation until after the holiday.

snaquin
06-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I should have mentioned that the A-20 Demon is a Pimp Daddy Rocketry bird. My favorite so far. I finished it on Saturday morning.

They all look nice Bill, but the PD A-20 Demon is really fine :D I always loved the way the foil looked on that kit. You can't tell it's not an Estes original in your pictures :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
They all look nice Bill, but the PD A-20 Demon is really fine :D I always loved the way the foil looked on that kit. You can't tell it's not an Estes original in your pictures :cool:

The Demon is brand new. The others have some miles and some body damage on them. (Quite extensive in some cases.) I always thought the payload section on the Estes A-20 Demon was much less foil-like. I had been cleaning up the decal on the JimZ scan and had planned to make the silver decal all white and black, then apply it over a silver painted payload tube. That's how the original always looked to me in the catalog.
That said, Pimp Daddy did a nice job with this kit, and my review will say just that. The only thing I find fault with is the 1970's shock cord setup. :cool:

Aeronautical
06-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I like them all. I like the wings on the Tau zero rocket. I always got a kick out of that style, otherwise there all nice.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I like them all. I like the wings on the Tau zero rocket. I always got a kick out of that style, otherwise there all nice.

Thank Jay (Centuri Guy) for that one. It's his baby. ;) It really ripped on that C6-7. :cool:

Aeronautical
06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Thank Jay (Centuri Guy) for that one. It's his baby. ;) It really ripped on that C6-7. :cool:

Yo, a C engine, that's what I like... :cool: ...I always found rockets like that facinating, it's a different style.

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
"The Potatohead Rocketry Tau Zero Memorial Launch"

Bill, that may be the coolest thing you've ever written... so far. ;) :D

I made two flights with the Tau Zero, a B6-6 first flight, followed by a pull all stops C6-7 flight. Both were perfect and I even managed to get a launch pic while pushing the button myself. After that it was all gravyThat's pretty cool, and Bill, I think I can officially say that you're the *first* person ever to build and fly one of my designs. :p :D :cool:

BTW, in the glamour shot, do I spy an engine hook? :eek: (That qualifies as a "mod," I think.)

Oh, and did you go with a chute, since the motor actually stayed in (as opposed to *my* prototype's initial flight :o )?

Thanks, buddy!

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
"The Potatohead Rocketry Tau Zero Memorial Launch"

Bill, that may be the coolest thing you've ever written... so far. ;) :D

That's pretty cool, and Bill, I think I can officially say that you're the *first* person ever to build and fly one of my designs. :p :D :cool:

BTW, in the glamour shot, do I spy an engine hook? :eek: (That qualifies as a "mod," I think.)

Oh, and did you go with a chute, since the motor actually stayed in (as opposed to *my* prototype's initial flight :o )?

Thanks, buddy!

Nope, the only mod I made was in the paint. I taped the engines in on both flights. (You know how I HATE external engine hooks.) The C6-7 flight was impressive, especially since I never lost sight of it AND it landed within ten feet of where the B6-6 flight came down. :cool:

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Nope, the only mod I made was in the paint. I taped the engines in on both flights. (You know how I HATE external engine hooks.)You and me *both.* :mad: Remember the Scram-Jet photo with the gouge in the tube? *That's* why I shelved that particular project. :mad:

The C6-7 flight was impressive, especially since I never lost sight of it AND it landed within ten feet of where the B6-6 flight came down. :cool:(chuckling) I may tie with David J. Miller [of Sirius Rocketry] for "King of High-Drag Designs." (I'd pinky-wrestle him for the title, but somebody would get hurt, and I'm sure it would be me. :eek: )

Shouts out to ya, Dave! :cool:

Cheers,

Tau Zero
06-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Thank Jay (Centuri Guy) for that one. It's his baby. ;)Aero,

Here's some reading you might want to catch up on, since you joined just recently. :D

Jay's "Tau Zero" build thread

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=834

"Tau Zero" maiden flight pics:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=8227&postcount=10

Oh, and you may want to cast a vote, too. Go here first:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gomero/rocketdesigns.html

(I may be the King of Cross-References, as well. :o )

Enjoy!

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
You and me *both.* :mad: Remember the Scram-Jet photo with the gouge in the tube? *That's* why I shelved that particular project. :mad:

(chuckling) I may tie with David J. Miller for "King of High-Drag Designs." (I'd pinky-wrestle him for the title, but somebody would get hurt, and I'm sure it would be me. :eek: )

I left the fins squared off just to increase the drag. Seemed to work. I used no shock cord at all, just Kevlar like in my MRS Rogue. (Which stripped its chute on Sunday, in case I forgot to mention it.)

Bruce Temple
06-29-2006, 10:27 PM
May have to break down and get a few of those PDR's now. A-20 at least!

Cheers, Bruce

JRThro
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
May have to break down and get a few of those PDR's now. A-20 at least!

Cheers, Bruce
And I may have to break down and get a PDR Trident, if I can ever get past the semi-offensive name of the company. This is, of course, assuming they even make a Trident and I'm not totally confused, since their website doesn't list or show any of the kits they sell.
:rolleyes:

dtomko
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
And I may have to break down and get a PDR Trident, if I can ever get past the semi-offensive name of the company. This is, of course, assuming they even make a Trident and I'm not totally confused, since their website doesn't list or show any of the kits they sell.
:rolleyes:

Hmmm. The site used to have a complete listing of the kits with photos and prices. I'm not sure why that would be taken down during their vacation. The note on the site says you can email if you want a kit before they come back from vacation.

JRThro
06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Hmmm. The site used to have a complete listing of the kits with photos and prices. I'm not sure why that would be taken down during their vacation. The note on the site says you can email if you want a kit before they come back from vacation.
Yeah, I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a Trident kit priced at $29.99.

ghrocketman
06-30-2006, 11:21 AM
try this link....

http://www.pdrocketry.com/rocket.htm

PDR reccommends the B14-5 for this kit in the engines list.....try finding those nowadays !

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
try this link....

http://www.pdrocketry.com/rocket.htm

"The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

:confused:

snaquin
06-30-2006, 04:44 PM

I just checked it the other day to take a look at the A-20 Demon when Bill posted his images and it was working at that time. Maybe it's down to temporarily disable the shopping cart feature of the site?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I just checked it the other day to take a look at the A-20 Demon when Bill posted his images and it was working at that time. Maybe it's down to temporarily disable the shopping cart feature of the site?

Maybe a large, corporate foot squashed the server. :confused: :eek: :(

barone
06-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I was planning on purchasing the A-20 also but couldn't get past the home page. I just figured they had set it up so nothing could be ordered while they were on vacation. Makes sense if you don't want a backlog of orders to fill as soon as you come back from vacation....Then again, after spending a bunch of money on vacation, would be nice to have some orders to fill......

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I was planning on purchasing the A-20 also but couldn't get past the home page. I just figured they had set it up so nothing could be ordered while they were on vacation. Makes sense if you don't want a backlog of orders to fill as soon as you come back from vacation....Then again, after spending a bunch of money on vacation, would be nice to have some orders to fill......

Don
NAR 53455

I'm hoping that's the case. I still have the Atlantis decal situation to iron out.

barone
06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
By the way Bill.....seeing your A-20 convinced me to buy one. I've been wanting to for a while but wasn't sure about the decals. Your's turned out GREAT.

Don
NAR 53455

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-01-2006, 04:59 AM
By the way Bill.....seeing your A-20 convinced me to buy one. I've been wanting to for a while but wasn't sure about the decals. Your's turned out GREAT.

Don
NAR 53455

Clearly a case of a model selling itself. I think they did a great job on it. :cool: The chrome decals (and to a lesser extent that nose cone,) have put a lot of people off of this project. Having them done for you makes this no-brainer.

snaquin
07-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Clearly a case of a model selling itself. I think they did a great job on it. :cool: The chrome decals (and to a lesser extent that nose cone,) have put a lot of people off of this project. Having them done for you makes this no-brainer.

I just read your review today on EMRR :)

You should send that same image from your review to PDR for the PDR website. Your A-20 looks like it just like it just jumped off the pages of the Estes catalog. IIRC before the site went down there were two kits still without images, the A-20 Demon being one of them.

CPMcGraw
07-01-2006, 05:16 PM
"The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

:confused:

Try this link:

http://www.pdrocketry.com/index.htm (http://www.pdrocketry.com/index.htm)

This link works right now...

Addendum: But only to the first page. His "Rockets" page is currently pointing at the main page.

The link to his "/rockets.htm" page is obviously not on the site.

snaquin
07-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Try this link:

http://www.pdrocketry.com/index.htm (http://www.pdrocketry.com/index.htm)

This link works right now...

You can get to the site but the links to the rockets section still isn't working :(

Bob H
07-03-2006, 09:59 AM
...... but my latest kit from PD, the USS Atlantis, has a terrible set of decals......Bill,

Do you need a scan of the USS. Atlantis decals?

I have a 300 x 300 dpi .tif file of these decals all cleaned up.

PM me with an email address and I'll send them to you.

PS. I also have a scan of these for a downscale using a BT-5 body tube.

I needed to do that for my cardstock model USS Atlantis

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I should have mentioned that the A-20 Demon is a Pimp Daddy Rocketry bird. My favorite so far. I finished it on Saturday morning. I've also got the SS Cassiopeia and USS Atlantis. I flew the Cassiopeia before it was completely finished and landed it on the road, which crushed the ring fin and the fin fins. I've fixed it, but I've never gotten around to the decals. The A-20 Demon decals were great, but my latest kit from PD, the USS Atlantis, has a terrible set of decals. I e-mailed PD, but they're on vacation until after the holiday.

Getting back to this, I e-mailed PDRocketry today when I got home from work, explained the problem, and included a scan of the decal. When I woke up there was a reply agreeing that the decal had problems and promising to deliver another. With two weeks until the next Quark launch, (I had a funeral on Saturday and was sick on Sunday this past weekend, :mad: ) I should be able to get the Atlantis finished, painted and decaled. (Which is good because I just started an Estes Strikefighter that I bought from the Beer Skunk, and just last night ordered my first Dr. Zooch kit, the Little Joe that I've been lusting after ever since I first heard he was kitting one.) :cool: