PDA

View Full Version : Estes Trident (K-33) Dimensions?

JRThro
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions (mostly lengths) of the parts used in the Estes Trident (K-33)?

I seem to remember a cross-reference between Estes part numbers and tube lengths, etc., but I'll be darned if I remember where it is.

I've got the instructions and templates from JimZ's site already, btw.

The Trident looks like a really cool kit, and I'm semi-seriously considering cloning one.

Thanks!

tbzep
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Body tube length refrence chart on Ninfinger's site. Tube Chart (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html)

JRThro
06-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Body tube length refrence chart on Ninfinger's site. Tube Chart (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/body_tubes.html)
Thank you, sir!

JRThro
06-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Similarly, I believe there's a nose cone cross-reference out there as well. But does it give dimensions? Or does it just say, basically, "this particular nose cone was used in these kits"?

JRThro
06-27-2006, 03:29 PM
How the heck can the Trident II even have the word "trident" in its name, when it has just 2 ejection ducting tubes and *4* fins??
;)

Eagle3
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
How the heck can the Trident II even have the word "trident" in its name, when it has just 2 ejection ducting tubes and *4* fins??
;)

I always called it the "Bi-dent" ;)

tbzep
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Similarly, I believe there's a nose cone cross-reference out there as well. But does it give dimensions? Or does it just say, basically, "this particular nose cone was used in these kits"?

It's on the YORF website. Hang on while I find the link...

There's two versions located on this page plus pictures of nosecones. Click right here (http://www.rocketshoppe.com/tips.htm#Nose%20Cone%20Small) and scroll down a bit for your info.

hawkshobby
06-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions (mostly lengths) of the parts used in the Estes Trident (K-33)?

I seem to remember a cross-reference between Estes part numbers and tube lengths, etc., but I'll be darned if I remember where it is.

I've got the instructions and templates from JimZ's site already, btw.

The Trident looks like a really cool kit, and I'm semi-seriously considering cloning one.

Thanks!

Would you like a list of all the specs?? We can give you a list with all the sizes and nose cones
(where to get the actuall nose cones and part #) . I just built a clone of this ....my very first rocket ever... about a month ago.

Let me know.
Loretta

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I just built a clone of this ....my very first rocket ever... about a month ago.

Get back, Loretta! (I bet you NEVER hear that, eh?)
This was your first rocket?! Why didn't you pick something easy like a scratch Saturn or a Mercury Redstone? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

hawkshobby
06-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Get back, Loretta! (I bet you NEVER hear that, eh?)
This was your first rocket?! Why didn't you pick something easy like a scratch Saturn or a Mercury Redstone? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

The First rocket I built EVER was mid May ( about a month ago).
At the same time I was building the Trident I was also building Red River's Predator
for a drag race at NSL and then I built a clone of the Mars Snooper.
Got a little help from Mark on the fins of the trident and predator. Got a little carried away on the snooper pods ( wasn't paying attenting to the instructions :eek: ) and put the main fin on the pod in the wrong place. Then I went on a mini brute kick . So as of now I have built 15 kits including one of my own the Super Sprite . Now I just have to paint them all .
Oh Ya lets not forget the 433% up-scale Javelin that I'm building for my L1 Cert.

Pictures of my builds will soon be on my web-site under family builds.
Loretta

P.S. I NEVER do anything the easy way. :D

ghrocketman
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
The Trident II was a joke.
Typical modern Estes trying to fix something that was not busted....it was a Turd.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Typical modern Estes trying to fix something that was not busted....it was a Turd.

Bet THAT would take a few flushes and some time with a coat hanger! :eek:

Tweener
06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Typical modern Estes trying to fix something that was not busted....it was a Turd.I agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it, like the Astrocam 110. The "new improved" shutter mechanism was hard to keep from slipping and triggering the shutter as I inserted the cone. After it broke during a shock cord failure I put my old string 'n' slot Astrocam on the LV and finished out the film cartridge. When the pictures were developed, I saw no difference between the two. I also liked the fact that the old AC110 needed to be assembled. I was able to understand exactly how it works that way. ;)

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
The newer Astrocam 110 allows any mechanically-DECLINED numbskull to launch a rocket that takes pictures....part of the ongoing "dumbing-down"/catering to JUNK-mart that Estes insists on doing while alienating real rocketry hobbyists that actually make repeat purchases instead of impulse-buy fire-n-forget rockets.
I agree that I enjoyed the building of the original Astrocam....I also enjoyed that Estes used to offer two other Astrocam motors....the B8-5 and B8-7 (the B14-5 and -7 work well too but very few people will still burn them)

JRThro
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I was wondering about the Trident II, and now I think I have an answer. Which is, I shouldn't build one.

CPMcGraw
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM

The really funny thing about that comment is when you consider how long ago the Trident II was released. "Modern Estes" at this point was still 18 years ago; the Trident II was a 1990 catalog year kit, and was probably developed a year before that...

I'd be happy if Estes were to release this kit again, as long as they did so with the balsa parts like the original, instead of plastic parts. It wouldn't take much to whip it into a true Trident (three components, actually...).

dwmzmm
06-28-2006, 12:48 PM
You can just get this really cool Super Trident from a fairly new vendor here in the Houston
area, Hawks Hobby:

http://www.hawkshobby.com/page11.html

I plan to get his (and many of their other kits) as soon as I can...

JRThro
06-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Would you like a list of all the specs?? We can give you a list with all the sizes and nose cones
(where to get the actuall nose cones and part #) . I just built a clone of this ....my very first rocket ever... about a month ago.

Let me know.
Loretta
Loretta, that would be great! The more information I have, the better. My e-mail addresses are in my signature.

Thanks!

barone
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Loretta, that would be great! The more information I have, the better. My e-mail addresses are in my signature.

Thanks!

If you don't mind Loretta, please send me the info also.....cusdon@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Don
NAR 53455

hawkshobby
06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Loretta, that would be great! The more information I have, the better.

Thanks!

Here is the Trident clone parts.
Quantity, Estes part #, Size, Suppliers part #

Patterns & Plans – Jim Z website

Thrustline Parts
Launch Lug – 1/8 inch –2inches long & 4 inches long – LL-1/8-12 –(pk of 6)
6 Adapter/Centering rings – 20-50 –CR2050-F - (6rings)
1 Thrust ring – CR520-P – ( pk of 6)
( Thrust Ring not on the original Estes but we recommend)

Semroc Parts
1 Engine Tube Holder – BT-20 – 2.75 inches (2 3/4inches) – BT-20J
3 Pod Tubes – BT-5 – 18 inches — BT-5
1 Lower Tube – BT-50 – 4 inches – BT-50S
1 Upper Tube – BT-50 – 9.5 inches ( 9 ½ inches) – BT-50W
1 Hollow Tube Coupler – For BT-50 – JT-50C
1 Standard length Engine Hook – EH-28
3 BNC–5E
3 BNC- 5W
1 BNC - 50J
1 BNC-50K
1 BNC-50Y

Other parts
Balsa Sheet - 3/16 thick x 3 in wide x 18 inches long – for the fins (This needs to be 3/32 balsa sorry. Mark)
Stand off Dowel 1/12 inch Estes recommended or you can use a 1/16 inch (1- 4 inch, 1 - 2 inch)
24 inch elastic
1 small eye screw (Estes way)
2 small eye screws ( Hawks Hobby way)
18 inch Kevler (Hawks Hobby way)
1 Parachute 18 inch
1 Decal –– Exclesior

If you want the white Centering Rings they can be found at AC Supply (http://acsupplyco.com/estes/estesmain.htm) , however they have a $10.00 shipping fee. (
Centering Rings - FCR100 10 PC Flat Center Rings - (20 rings)
Thrust ring - ACCR0520 – (Pk of 20)

I think this is everything.

A couple of Hawks Hobby building tips for the Trident:

1. As you noticed we added a thrust ring.

2. Cut out the pod & body tubes port slots and attach 2 of the pods – before you install any nose cones ...this will make lining up the port slots easier to align. ( See Tip 3) Then install the 2 middle nose cones F & G ( Passenger & Atomic). Install the 3rd pod tube. Now install the rest of the nose cones. Doing it this way you can look into the tubes and make sure that the slots are aligned. ( This is how we did our clones and one of the changes we made to the instructions for our up-scale.)

3. Nose Cones / 2 eye screws / kevler- Install eye screw into the middle upper nose cone ( F Passenger) Tie the kevler shock cord anchor to the eye screw – apply a drop of glue to the knot- feed the cord through the tube -slotted end first. Glue nose cone in place as you normally would.( Finish tip 2) Tie a loop in the kevler and then tie the elastic through the loop and tie the other end of the elastic to the eye screw in the main nose cone as you normally would.
( This is another change we made to the clone and to our up-scales).

Hope the information & tips help.
Loretta

P.S. barone & JRThro check your email.

barone
06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks Loretta....I really like the tip concerning the second screw eye.....tip #3. Guess I need to save some money and get the upscale Trident.... looks awesome.

Don
NAR 53455

JRThro
06-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Here is the Trident clone parts.

/snip/

Hope the information & tips help.
Loretta

P.S. barone & JRThro check your email.
Thanks, Loretta!