PDA

View Full Version : New renderings up at Semroc website

rraeford
06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, my bi-weekly check of the Semroc website revealed new images of the forth coming SLS Explorer and SLS Aero-Dart. Still no image of the Taurus though.

I suppose these will be making their debut at NARAM. Anyone know?

The backgrounds for these images are getting more and more elaborate. Nice work Semroc.

Romie

dwmzmm
06-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, my bi-weekly check of the Semroc website revealed new images of the forth coming SLS Explorer and SLS Aero-Dart. Still no image of the Taurus though.

I suppose these will be making their debut at NARAM. Anyone know?

The backgrounds for these images are getting more and more elaborate. Nice work Semroc.

Romie

Was just checking the images...the Aero-Dart shows that the D12-3 will take the model to
only 50'. Is that right?! Please tell me this is a typo...

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
I can tell you that both the 1972 Enerjet Aero-Dart, ans the pre '72 "pointy-nose" Aero-Dart most definitely fly higher than '50 on a D12-3.
I fly both versions in my backyard and they fly to around 500' on a D12-3.
Sounds like you are off by a factor of 10.

I sure hope all the "In the works" (which used to be coming soon...what gives?) kits shown on the Semroc site are released at NARAM. I think the LJII, Saturn 1B, and Hustler have been "coming soon" for around 6 months. "Soon" for a rocket kit is not 6 months....that is soon for a NEW Chevrolet Corvette to come out.
The last word I had on those kits was the only thing that prevented them from coming out at NARCON was the instructions....seems a long time for a pamphlet.

Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient as I have had a gift cert burnin' a hole in my pocket since well before last X-mas when these kits were announced.

rraeford
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
ghrocketman wrote:

... Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient...

Yeah, me too. The kits are so nice though I feel a little guilty complaining. I've been waiting since 2003 for the Arcon-Hi and Centurion kits to be released. So, I just ordered the parts and built them anyway. Having written and illustrated a few catalog/instruction booklets in my career, I do understand how tedious and difficult this process can be.

Romie

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Perfection in illustration/writing of catalog/instructions is not needed or even wanted by the vast majority of those who buy Semroc kits.
When was the last time you actually had your decision to buy a particular kit made or broke based on the above ?
Geez....that illustration is fuzzy or "I heard they have lousy instructions".....let's be real !
Those items don't even weigh into my decision to buy a kit.

I wish Carl would release all of his kits as a "JTP" (just the parts) pak like they did earlier this year with the Hustler. I see that on the website the proposed price of the Hustler increased from $41.00 to $53.00....I was going to pay the $41 for a Bagged Hustler for my collection but $53 is too steep.....that's $8 over the S1B proposed price for FAR fewer parts.
I will definitely be purchasing an Explorer and Aero Dart kit though.

Most BARs do not need the instructions for anything but all the most complex builds (Mars Lander, Saturn 1B), but even those could be fairly BASIC for BARs.

stefanj
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Carl has good taste:

The renderings of the Hustler and Aero-Dart have the same paint-job as my models!

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_jones/aerodart_pose.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Estefan_jones/hustler_pose.jpg

These are from the inside back cover of the 1971 Centuri catalog.

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Same paint jobs as my Hustler and '72 Enerjet Aero Dart also !
If ya clone it, there should be a law forcing one to finish it AS SHOWN IN THE CATALOG !

rraeford
06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Carl is obviously busy today because the Taurus illustration is now up and the Hustler image now has a new background.

Didn't notice the new price on the Hustler (ouch!).

Romie

rraeford
06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Also, what happened to the V-2?

JRThro
06-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Also, what happened to the V-2?
That's what I wanted to know, too.

SEL
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Same paint jobs as my Hustler and '72 Enerjet Aero Dart also !
If ya clone it, there should be a law forcing one to finish it AS SHOWN IN THE CATALOG !

Ahhhhh yes... "Regulate paint jobs, not motors!" :-)

Sean

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I want ALL model rocket motors (LPR, MPR and even the HUGEST High-Power) totally deregulated....if it is classed as a model rocket motor, the ONLY regs should be certification by NAR/Tripoli, which should REMAIN certified for the life of the MOTOR, not the life of motor production.
No storage, shipping, usage or any other useless regs that currently exist....and force this upon all the famously over-regulatory states such as commiefornia and taxachusetts.

Tweener
06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
<snip> such as commiefornia <snip>Shouldn't that be Commiefornica? :D

JSP
06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure why the SLS Hustler is so pricey. I just bought the SLS Laser X and the two optional mounts for less... I'm sure there's a very good reason, though.

Ltvscout
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure why the SLS Hustler is so pricey. I just bought the SLS Laser X and the two optional mounts for less... I'm sure there's a very good reason, though.
Maybe it's a typo?

Initiator001
06-28-2006, 06:19 PM
It looks like I had better save room in my car to bring back all the new Semroc kits that will be released at NARAM! :D

Carl, save one of every new kit for me to pick up! ;)

Bob

stefanj
06-28-2006, 06:53 PM
"I'm not sure why the SLS Hustler is so pricey."

The shock cord secure cable is made of a 3% Unobtanium alloy.

Initiator001
06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
The Semroc website NOW features the SLS Lil' Hustler.

Price: $41.00

Good thing I went to MapQuest and printed out the locations of my bank's ATMs/branches near the NARAM Hotel. :D

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure why the SLS Hustler is so pricey.

Actually that seems about right. I saw this at NARCON and was impressed as hell with the way it went together. It's a monster. A little out of my league, engine-wise, but I might make an exception in this case. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman
06-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Looks like I'll haveta add the Lil' Hustler to my must purchase as soon as released list !

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Still no image of the Taurus though.Should be there now. Getting those decals on right when the instructions do not match the photos has taken many starts over the past few months.
Taurus page (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-42)
I suppose these will be making their debut at NARAM. Anyone know?We are sure trying!The backgrounds for these images are getting more and more elaborate. Nice work Semroc.

RomieThanks!

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Was just checking the images...the Aero-Dart shows that the D12-3 will take the model to
only 50'. Is that right?! Please tell me this is a typo...Thanks for catching that!
It should be 450'.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Should be there now. Getting those decals on right when the instructions do not match the photos has taken many starts over the past few months.
Taurus page (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-42)
We are sure trying!Thanks!

Glad to see that the Taurus has the white pods and rounded pod cones. Buzz might not like it, but I do. :rolleyes:

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I sure hope all the "In the works" (which used to be coming soon...what gives?) kits shown on the Semroc site are released at NARAM. I think the LJII, Saturn 1B, and Hustler have been "coming soon" for around 6 months. "Soon" for a rocket kit is not 6 months....that is soon for a NEW Chevrolet Corvette to come out.
The last word I had on those kits was the only thing that prevented them from coming out at NARCON was the instructions....seems a long time for a pamphlet.

Carl's kits are always great and worth the wait, but I admit I'm gettin' impatient as I have had a gift cert burnin' a hole in my pocket since well before last X-mas when these kits were announced.The SLS Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart, and SLS Explorer have been "in the works" for over three years now. The design goal has been to make the motor mounts interchangeable between 24 and 29 mm mounts between all three kits. We have that now with a similar twist-lock mount system similar to the SLS Laser-X.

I apologize for the delay and not being able to nail down what "soon" is. I responded to a question on the "other" forum about how soon we would produce motors.

That has been our dream since we started Semroc back up four years ago. Every dollar we have taken in has gone back into the company to expand our product line while maintaining the best quality and service that we can provide.

There are only three of us, each working 70-90 hours a week. We have to carefully plan our time and resources for maximum return. Estes sells more kits in one day than we have sold in the last four years, so we have to be more careful how each minute and each dollar is invested. Since we have always limited ourselves to the "Made in USA" philosophy, our profit margins and volumes will always be much lower when compared to companies that can take advantage of much more cost effective offshore labor and manufacturing costs.

In other (fewer) words, our customers are investing in the development of products we will produce in the future.

We are hurrying as fast as our resources allow, but if I push Sheryl and Bruce any harder, they might QUIT! :D

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Carl is obviously busy today because the Taurus illustration is now up and the Hustler image now has a new background.

Didn't notice the new price on the Hustler (ouch!).

RomieIt is still $45.00 for all that reserve before it is released.

Since we did the initial estimates of the cost of the Hustler and others, there has been some major increases in balsa, tubes, basswood, postage, and freight. :eek:

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Also, what happened to the V-2?We still have the parts for the V-2, but it is so close to Thrustline's and ASP's, that I hate to go up against them.

Ltvscout
06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
It is still $45.00 for all that reserve before it is released.

Since we did the initial estimates of the cost of the Hustler and others, there has been some major increases in balsa, tubes, basswood, postage, and freight. :eek:
So, I should probably reserve another 1B and LJ II then for my "building" kits? I'm assuming at least the 1B final price will be higher then as well.

Speaking of reserve...Carl is pretty quick on stuff. I mentioned to him earlier tonight that the reservation page hadn't been updated since the end of March. Take a look at it now. ;)

http://www.semroc.com/documents/reserve.asp

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
The Semroc website NOW features the SLS Lil' Hustler.

Price: $41.00

BobThat was a mistake. The fins were added twice in the Bill of Material. It should be $35.00.

Carl@Semroc
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
...A little out of my league, engine-wise, but I might make an exception in this case. :rolleyes:
E9-6?

tbzep
06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Most BARs do not need the instructions for anything but all the most complex builds (Mars Lander, Saturn 1B), but even those could be fairly BASIC for BARs.

I've been to launches and talked with people that had been into rocketry for years and their rockets that looked like they had been built by 2nd graders. Some people need instructions (and help) for even the simplest of things. :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I've been to launches and talked with people that had been into rocketry for years and their rockets that looked like they had been built by 2nd graders.

Come on, man. That's a little harsh. I've at LEAST progressed to a 4th to 6th grade level. It's been WEEKS since I used a crayon to paint a rocket. :rolleyes:
BTW, I don't eat the glue sticks anymore either. They're worse than cheese. :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2006, 10:14 PM
E9-6?

Somehow I missed that. I could have sworn that they were all reloads.
Yeah, I like the E's a lot. That's most of what I flew on Sunday. :cool:

tbzep
06-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Come on, man. That's a little harsh. I've at LEAST progressed to a 4th to 6th grade level. It's been WEEKS since I used a crayon to paint a rocket. :rolleyes:
BTW, I don't eat the glue sticks anymore either. They're worse than cheese. :eek:

:p :D :p :D

Ltvscout
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Heh, remember the glue paste in kindergarten that smelled like wintergreen or something like that?

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Heh, remember the glue paste in kindergarten that smelled like wintergreen or something like that?

Yeah. Gave a whole new meaning to the term "toothpaste". ;)

JSP
06-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Carl is VERY quick. I ordered my SLS LAser X late Monday and it was shipped Tuesday. Very good service!

rraeford
06-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey Carl,

Good to hear from you. The Lil Hustler rendering looks really cool. Didn't think of yellow. How did you figure out the tube lengths for this kit? There was a thread a while back and we bounced around about the lengths of the tubes. Just curious.

Can't wait to see the new stuff.

Romie

JRThro
06-29-2006, 08:59 AM
We still have the parts for the V-2, but it is so close to Thrustline's and ASP's, that I hate to go up against them.
Carl,

That's a good point. How do you make a decision like this? I assume Thrustline sells fewer kits overall than Semroc, and I assume ASP sells more. These are just my gut feeling.

ghrocketman
06-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Who is ASP ?
Never heard of them.....

tbzep
06-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Who is ASP ?
Never heard of them.....

ASP and ye shall receive... Aerospace Specialty Products (http://www.asp-rocketry.com/)

Carl@Semroc
06-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Who is ASP ?
Never heard of them.....Aerospace Specialty Products (http://www.asp-rocketry.com/) has been around for a while. Andy Jackson has a full line including some great scale models in all sizes. We look forward to seeing him again at NARAM-48.

rraeford
06-29-2006, 10:18 AM
How about doing a CC only kit of the V-2?

Romie

dwmzmm
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
How about doing a CC only kit of the V-2?

Romie

A clone of the Centuri V-2 would be nice. Just recently built and flown mine using the balsa
nosecone & tailcone from BMS:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000010

Good size, too. Not too big; not too small.

snaquin
06-30-2006, 11:25 PM
The SLS Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart, and SLS Explorer have been "in the works" for over three years now. The design goal has been to make the motor mounts interchangeable between 24 and 29 mm mounts between all three kits. We have that now with a similar twist-lock mount system similar to the SLS Laser-X. *snip*

Carl I'm very interested in this interchangeable mount system. Will you offer a parts kit for this so it can be incorporated into other new builds. I'd love to have the option to fly some of my EnerJet clones or scratch builds on 24 and 29mm motors since access to the HPR field in Louisiana is only a few times a year and where black powder D and E engines are preferred.

I'll buy them ..... please, please please :D

dwmzmm
06-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Carl I'm very interested in this interchangeable mount system. Will you offer a parts kit for this so it can be incorporated into other new builds. I'd love to have the option to fly some of my EnerJet clones or scratch builds on 24 and 29mm motors since access to the HPR field in Louisiana is only a few times a year and where black powder D and E engines are preferred.

I'll buy them ..... please, please please :D

If you can look through your leftovers of spare parts I'm sure has been accumulated over
a period of time, you should have enough to build your own interchangeable motor mount.
I built one (to use 18 mm motors in models designed for 24 mm motors) so models like the
Squirrel Works Gremlin, Estes StormCaster & Citation era Patriot can use a variety of motors.

snaquin
07-01-2006, 04:47 PM
If you can look through your leftovers of spare parts I'm sure has been accumulated over
a period of time, you should have enough to build your own interchangeable motor mount.
I built one (to use 18 mm motors in models designed for 24 mm motors) so models like the
Squirrel Works Gremlin, Estes StormCaster & Citation era Patriot can use a variety of motors.

I realize the three kits Carl mentioned all use the LT-175 airframes but I'd like to see what he comes up with. I'm sure it will have laser cut parts, fit perfectly and be a breeze to install and use since he mentions it will "twist-lock" like the SLS Laser-X and that's a really smart design.

I'd like to have something for use in smaller airframes like the LT-125 or ST-13 so I don't sail my EnerJet clones out of smaller flying fields. A 24mm interchangeable motor mount isn't out of the question with PEM nuts and a small machine screw but 29mm in that small of a dia airframe would need to twist lock made with a cut piece of coupler tubing to work or just build up and friction fit a 29mm in the LT-125 (plenty of tape). I've been tossing around ideas but haven't come up with anything yet I've really felt I could move from rocket to rocket. Maybe even something with hooks cut into the front of a longer engine tube that could twist-lock into slots in the back one of the Semroc baffles ..... just a thought :)

Tau Zero
07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Perfection in illustration/writing of catalog/instructions is not needed or even wanted by the vast majority of those who buy Semroc kits.
When was the last time you actually had your decision to buy a particular kit made or broke based on the above ?
Geez....that illustration is fuzzy or "I heard they have lousy instructions".....let's be real !
Those items don't even weigh into my decision to buy a kit.GH,

Carl has repeatedly said it takes about 200 hours *per model* before the kits are ready to go. (chuckling) I know, that doesn't help WHEN YOU WANT THEM *RIGHT NOW!*

But it'll be worth the wait. No, really! (For the record, I *can't* always wait, so I place a big parts order to keep me busy in the meantime.)

And I'll be finding out first-hand how long it takes to write the instructions for just a *simple* rocket. :eek: (Note the link in my .SIG.)

Cheers,

Tau Zero
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Glad to see that the Taurus has the white pods and rounded pod cones. Buzz might not like it, but I do. :rolleyes:Make that "Jay and Buzz." :mad:

Seriously, I've got BC-517's set aside for my "pre-kit" clone.

Cheers,

JRThro
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
And I'll be finding out first-hand how long it takes to write the instructions for just a *simple* rocket. :eek:Why aren't you finding out *already*, Mister?!?!
:mad: :eek: ;)

Tau Zero
07-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Why aren't you finding out *already*, Mister?!?!To paraphrase Dean Fox, "Don't make me come over there and pinch you." :eek: :rolleyes:

You may be happy to know that between 12:30 and 2:30 a.m. this morning, I worked extensively on my Tau Zero review intended for EMRR. Then when I hit a mild case of writers block on that, I laid out the steps for the instruction booklet. :D

John, if you behave yourself, I *may* include a brief science fiction story. :cool:

*If* you're good. :rolleyes:

Now, back to your corner, young man! Your "time-out" isn't over yet! :mad: ;) :D

Cheers,

JRThro
07-03-2006, 09:15 PM
To paraphrase Dean Fox, "Don't make me come over there and pinch you." :eek: :rolleyes:

You may be happy to know that between 12:30 and 2:30 a.m. this morning, I worked extensively on my Tau Zero review intended for EMRR. Then when I hit a mild case of writers block on that, I laid out the steps for the instruction booklet. :D

John, if you behave yourself, I *may* include a brief science fiction story. :cool:

*If* you're good. :rolleyes:

Now, back to your corner, young man! Your "time-out" isn't over yet! :mad: ;) :D

Cheers,
Jay, I'm ecstatic to hear that you were awake until at least 2:30 in the morning!

And hey, I *am* good. *And* well-behaved. Usually.

Tau Zero
07-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Jay, I'm ecstatic to hear that you were awake until at least 2:30 in the morning!Only because I took an hour and a half long nap Sunday afternoon. :p

You *may* be even more ecstatic to hear that tonight I managed to draft my Tau Zero review all the way to the part that involves decals. (No, I haven't drawn them yet, which could be why I stopped right there.) I'll probably have to skip ahead to the test-flying portion first.

So there you are. (At least now you're sitting still instead of wiggling around in one place.) ;) :D

Cheers,

Eagle3
07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Glad to see that the Taurus has the white pods and rounded pod cones. Buzz might not like it, but I do. :rolleyes:

I'll just order three of the "right" ones. :D

BTW - here's a photo of my clone from Semroc parts at the last JMRC launch. Very nice flight on a C6-5.
http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jmrc_6-25-06/P6250631?full=1

DeanHFox
07-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I've been following this thread with interest, as I have my original Taurus (with its "I was a 12 year old and didn't know any better so I painted it the way I liked it but it only vaguely resembles the original artwork" color scheme), and I was planning to buy a couple Semroc Taurus kits...so I could actually build one according to the "correct" paint scheme...but now you've all got me wondering...:

What the heck's this "Admirality" paint scheme that's being bandied about? It is just if the pods are black or white?

Does anyone have the reference work (or photos, whatever) to show the diff?

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I've been following this thread with interest, as I have my original Taurus (with its "I was a 12 year old and didn't know any better so I painted it the way I liked it but it only vaguely resembles the original artwork" color scheme), and I was planning to buy a couple Semroc Taurus kits...so I could actually build one according to the "correct" paint scheme...but now you've all got me wondering...:

What the heck's this "Admirality" paint scheme that's being bandied about? It is just if the pods are black or white?

I believe all three of mine have that scheme:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/sem_taurus.html
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/cen_taurus.html
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/scratch/upscale_tarus.html

The name came from the instruction sheet. I think the pod colors are a matter of choice. White pods are for the good guys. :cool: ;) :D
Same with the pointy cones vs. rounded cones issue. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-07-2006, 03:37 PM

And where are the pics of this beauty? I'd love to see a 12-year-olds interpretation of the "original artwork". Bet I'm not alone. :cool:

DeanHFox
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
And where are the pics of this beauty? I'd love to see a 12-year-olds interpretation of the "original artwork". Bet I'm not alone. :cool:

I brought it to NARCON this year. If you can ignore the awful guy in the NASA jacket (i.e. me), my original Taurus is on the right side of the picture (along with my SST Shuttle and Spacemaster):

http://www.cv41.org/personal/gallery/jg_narcon2k6/34_DeanHFox_DSCF0691

(I still *like* that paint job, but I'd like to do it "right", too, if you know what I mean). :D

tbzep
07-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I brought it to NARCON this year. If you can ignore the awful guy in the NASA jacket (i.e. me), my original Taurus is on the right side of the picture (along with my SST Shuttle and Spacemaster):

(I still *like* that paint job, but I'd like to do it "right", too, if you know what I mean). :D

It looks good. So do the other models for that matter. :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-07-2006, 08:30 PM

I remember this rocket. How'd I miss the Spacemaster? (And WHAT was CenturEstes thinking with that color scheme?) ;)

Tau Zero
07-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Does anyone have the reference work (or photos, whatever) to show the diff?From the JimZ Centuri Taurus Page (http://www.dars.org/jimz/kb-3.htm): Download the specific instruction sheet (http://www.dars.org/jimz/centuri/kb-3b.tif) and/or consult the image below (hopefully it's readable enough).

The paint scheme was enough to intimidate me from even *buying* the Taurus "back in the day." :eek:

I think the pod colors are a matter of choice. White pods are for the good guys.
Same with the pointy cones vs. rounded cones issue.What, pointy cones are for the good guys? :rolleyes: :eek:

Actually, the original Centuri instructions picture both the PNC-51 (round) and PNC-54 (pointy) pod cones in different places. I'm just interesting in making my Taurus look like the catalog pictures, which seem to show pointy cones that are *much* shorter than the PNC-54's. As mentioned elsewhere, Buzz and I prefer the Semroc BC-517's. :D

Just 'cause. ;)

Cheers,

tbzep
07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
They say to put black down as a base coat. That's interesting because even using primer grey as a base will change the hue of light colors that are applied over the top. I start with the lightest color and work to the darkest.

DeanHFox
07-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Jay, thanks for the specs. I've got my original Taurus instructions laying around somewhere (in this mess, who can tell where?), and if I hadn't been helping my son with his Quest Proteus..... :)

The point about the pointy vs. rounded cones on the pods is interesting to me. My original Taurus has rounded plastic cones, but the illustrations also show the pointy ones, too...I wonder if anyone else's original kit *came with* pointy cones, or if the artwork / illustrations were of a "prototype" that had differing cones from the production run(s)?

Looking at that painting sheet brought back another chuckle. As a 12-year-old, I took one look at that roll pattern on the tube behind the nose and thought, "No way!". But, you know, I had this roll pattern from the decal sheet left over from my MPC Titan IIIC...and with a little trimming...voila! :D

Can't wait to build another one of these beauties and try out my 45-year-old painting skills...hopefully they're a little better than 30-odd years ago. :D

(and Bill has totally jazzed me to do an upscale of this beast. HawksHobby, are you listening?) :)

Tau Zero
07-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Jay, thanks for the specs.

I wonder if anyone else's original kit *came with* pointy cones, or if the artwork / illustrations were of a "prototype" that had differing cones from the production run(s)?

Can't wait to build another one of these beauties and try out my 45-year-old painting skills...hopefully they're a little better than 30-odd years ago. :DNo problem! Good questions, all of them.

I have most of the parts laid aside for a Semroc pre-kit Taurus clone. (Oddly enough, I had problems cutting 3 4-inch long ST-5's that were all exactly the same length. :o :confused: )

(and Bill has totally jazzed me to do an upscale of this beast. HawksHobby, are you listening?) :)I've got a rough RockSim file for a 175% upscale SLS Taurus. I could probably come up with a parts list of Semroc LT- tubes, etc., if you want it. Lemme know!

Cheers,

hawkshobby
07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
(and Bill has totally jazzed me to do an upscale of this beast. HawksHobby, are you listening?)

We are always watching and listening. :D
Evenwhen you don't see us we are here. LOL

Loretta

JSP
07-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Spoooooky...... :D

rraeford
07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Jay, thanks for the specs.

I wonder if anyone else's original kit *came with* pointy cones, or if the artwork / illustrations were of a "prototype" that had differing cones from the production run(s)?

I built three of these back in the early to mid 1970s and all of them had the pointy (or ogive) nose cones. The instructions, card and catalogs showed this also.

Romie

DeanHFox
07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I built three of these back in the early to mid 1970s and all of them had the pointy (or ogive) nose cones. The instructions, card and catalogs showed this also.

Romie
Very interesting! Romie, were they balsa or plastic?

I'm wondering if Centuri started with the pointy cones, then "ran out" for some # of kits...and sub'bed in rounded cones while they got more of the pointy cones in?

I suppose it's goofy of me to obsess about a detail like this...it's just an interesting little mystery about a very popular kit from my youth. Too bad Lee P. doesn't monitor this forum...but I'd be willing to bet he's forgotten the possible "why" of this, as well (unless it was some kind of major "oopsie" in Centuri manufacturing history) . It's amazing what he *did* remember about those days when he spoke at NARCON. :D

rraeford
07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
The cones were plastic. I had all the plastic parts to my first Taurus up until recently when they mysteriously disappeared during a move. The round cones were a running change in the kit probably because the others were discontinued (my theory). The instructions and catalog photos were altered in later kits. I have a built Taurus that I got in the late 1980s before Centuri ceased production. It has rounded cones and the instruction sheet looks kind of hacked up where the canges were made. It's clear to me the change was intentional.

Romie

JRThro
07-08-2006, 09:58 PM
I suppose it's goofy of me to obsess about a detail like this...it's just an interesting little mystery about a very popular kit from my youth.
Hey, Dean, isn't obsessing about a detail like this exactly the kind of thing that all of you BARs and other old rocketeers DO???
;) :rolleyes: :D

rraeford
07-08-2006, 10:12 PM
While on the subject of obsessing...I just went through all the Centuri catalogs which offered the Taurus. The pod cones are the longer ogive shape in all of them. The photo used from 1972 - 1979 is the bascially the same though it appears in color and black and white.

Even in other group pics the Taurus has the longer cones. Interesting that the rounded ones seem to be what people remember.

Romie

Tau Zero
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey, Dean, isn't obsessing about a detail like this exactly the kind of thing that all of you BARs and other old rocketeers DO???(mock suspicion) What's this "you," John!? :confused:

(stage whisper) It's "*us,*" remember? ;) :D

Even though you don't have any "old school" Centuri memories, I still consider you one of them. :cool: I mean, "us." :o

Cheers,

DeanHFox
07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey, Dean, isn't obsessing about a detail like this exactly the kind of thing that all of you BARs and other old rocketeers DO???
;) :rolleyes: :D
Well, given that my doctor told me it was either "keep discussing and building rockets" or "get an automatic weapon and start firing", I think it's probably for the best that I'm continuing to obsess about my rocketry...

(besides...having met many of my fellow BAR's at NARCON...I suspect that THEIR doctors have offered similar diagnoses!) :D :eek: :p

JRThro
07-09-2006, 10:33 AM
(mock suspicion) What's this "you," John!? :confused:

(stage whisper) It's "*us,*" remember? ;) :D

Even though you don't have any "old school" Centuri memories, I still consider you one of them. :cool: I mean, "us." :o

Cheers,
Jay, I may be old, but I'm not a BAR and I'm not an old rocketeer since I've only been a rocketeer for 2 years.

And sure, it's usually "us," but when I refer to BARs, I *have* to say "you."
:)

JRThro
07-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, given that my doctor told me it was either "keep discussing and building rockets" or "get an automatic weapon and start firing", I think it's probably for the best that I'm continuing to obsess about my rocketry...

(besides...having met many of my fellow BAR's at NARCON...I suspect that THEIR doctors have offered similar diagnoses!) :D :eek: :p
Dean, given the alternative, I am reasonably sure you've made the right choice!
;) :eek: :D

Initiator001
07-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I just noticed that the SLS Hustler, SLS Explorer and SLS Aero-Dart kits are posted as now being available on the Semroc website.

Yeah!

I just ordered all three of them. :)

Bob

Vanel
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Money is scarce right now (had to replace a defunct home computer), but I couldn't resist the Aero-Dart. I used to drool all over that page in the Centuri catalog when I was a kid - Imagine a rocket that would fly on F motors! WoW! :D By the time I could afford one, they were OOP :(

Now I'll finally have one in a couple of days! :D

Thanks, Carl!

ghrocketman
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Ordered my Aero-Dart and Explorer today !
Yahoo !!!!

Hoping the Saturn 1B and Little Joe II are ready by NARAM.

stefanj
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Sigh! My from-scratch clones are no longer unique. :-)

The Hustler is a really nice flyer. I've flown in on F22, F39, and F40.

The F22-5J (RMS reload) provides for a slow, elegant flight that really wows crowds.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-10-2006, 03:40 PM

True, but they're still the only ones on my screen saver. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

dwmzmm
07-10-2006, 04:02 PM

The F22-5J (RMS reload) provides for a slow, elegant flight that really wows crowds.

Have you seen the thrust curves of the Centuri Mini-max & Enerjets motors? I was browsing
the Centuri catalog online at Ninfinger (Sven's) website and was marveling those thrust
curves. Really, really cool stuff. Wish someone could manufacturer and market exact duplicates of those motors (AND those of the FSI F100, F7, etc.).

Initiator001
07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I received an e-mail from Semroc that my SLS Hustler, Aero-Dart & Explrer kits have all shipped! :)

They should be here by Friday.

Bob

stefanj
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
An FSI F100 or a Rocketflite F50 would be in the same ballpark as the port-burning Mini-Max motors. Fast and loud!

An Estes E9 is a very close match to one of the Mini-Max E motors (offered for just one year, like many of the motors in the line). Flying a Scorpion, Jaguar, or Explorer on a E9 would be most appropriate.

dwmzmm
07-11-2006, 01:34 AM
An FSI F100 or a Rocketflite F50 would be in the same ballpark as the port-burning Mini-Max motors. Fast and loud!

An Estes E9 is a very close match to one of the Mini-Max E motors (offered for just one year, like many of the motors in the line). Flying a Scorpion, Jaguar, or Explorer on a E9 would be most appropriate.

I've flown my FSI Maverick with the E9-6's a number of times (as well as a two stager using
the D12-0 booster); after about a half dozen flights some of the fins started to show signs
of stress on the bodytube.

The thing about the thrust curves of the Mini-Max and Enerjets is there's a brief spike for
liftoff, then the thrust drops very slightly, then curves upward before burnout. It'll be cool
for a video (like a Cineroc) to be taken using those motors to see what the flight characteristics would look like from the model rocket's standpoint.

snaquin
07-11-2006, 07:09 PM
It'll be cool for a video (like a Cineroc) to be taken using those motors to see what the flight characteristics would look like from the model rocket's standpoint.

..... extremely cool :)

Gary Rosenfield flew a three stage EnerJet powered rocket with a mod he did to a Cineroc that he called the "Mini-Cineroc" at Lucerne Dry Lake back in 1973. Gary used to sell plans for that "Mini-Cineroc" conversion when he was running Composite Dynamics and Al with AAA Model Aviation Fuels used to sell those plans as well.

There's some interesting EnerJet history and pictures of the rocket that Gary R. flew in the first issue of Extreme Rocketry on pages 32-37. Now that it's out of print you can download it here, it's about a 4MB download for the full 48 page issue but well worth reading .....

http://www.extremerocketry.com/downloads/issue01_mar2000.pdf

The progressive thrust profile of EnerJet motors in a three stage rocket that size would have been absolutely awesome in flight. I wonder if the mentioned flight was a success?

Initiator001
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Here they are!

I received the kits via Priority Mail Wednesday afternoon after ordering them Sunday night.

I haven't seen balsa nosecones this big since the late 1980s when HPR kits were first being produced. :D

Very nice looking parts.

Bob

stefanj
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Those kits are beautifully packaged!

Does Semroc have a dealer program? I'd love to take samples to local stores.

JRThro
07-12-2006, 06:40 PM

PM or e-mail user Carl@Semroc and ask him!

Sheryl@Semroc
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Does Semroc have a dealer program? I'd love to take samples to local stores. Thanks Stefan. We do have a dealer program. Which kits do you need?

Sheryl

ghrocketman
07-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I got my Aero-Dart and Explorer today.....typical GREAT Semroc quality, as usual !
I probably will order my Hustler kit tonight or tomorrow...alraedy have the Semroc Hustler JTP parts pak and hve cloned one using Semroc parts.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Stefan. We do have a dealer program. Which kits do you need?

Sheryl

Sheryl,
We only have one independent store in Northern Kentucky that sells rockets. Do you have a brochure that I could give to them? They stock Estes and Custom, but they're small enough that they might be open to also stocking real kits. ;) I buy my motors from them, so I'm there fairly frequently.

SEL
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM

Ahhhhhh, Stefan, you read my mind - 'Tammies' needs to carry those kits.

Sean

stefanj
07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Tammies for sure, but I wouldn't know who to talk too.

I had in mind an RC place on TV Highway & 170, and Hillsboro Hobbies.

I wouldn't ask Semroc for samples; a dealer's brochure would be better.

Failing that: A few packaged kits (which I have) and some of my finished models. The quality of the stuff speaks for itself.

(At the risk of tooting my horn, the last few I've built have turned out really well. The folks at work thought my "Scorpion" was some kind of molded plastic!)

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Tammies for sure, but I wouldn't know who to talk too.

I had in mind an RC place on TV Highway & 170, and Hillsboro Hobbies.

I wouldn't ask Semroc for samples; a dealer's brochure would be better.

Failing that: A few packaged kits (which I have) and some of my finished models. The quality of the stuff speaks for itself.

(At the risk of tooting my horn, the last few I've built have turned out really well. The folks at work thought my "Scorpion" was some kind of molded plastic!)

I was thinking along these lines myself. My Aerobee turned out pretty nice, as did the Vega. I think the Laser X would be a big hit if I could get it finished. (And the SLS Laser X would send people screaming into the streets. ;) )

stefanj
07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
And the SLS Laser X would send people screaming into the streets.

And the Mars Lander, they'd go meshugenna right there in the store!

I'm assembling a little sample case of Semroc kits, built and in the bag.

If I'm in the mood and don't have a bad hair day, maybe Saturday I'll visit a couple of shops.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-13-2006, 04:42 PM
And the SLS Laser X would send people screaming into the streets.

And the Mars Lander, they'd go meshugenna right there in the store!

I'm assembling a little sample case of Semroc kits, built and in the bag.

If I'm in the mood and don't have a bad hair day, maybe Saturday I'll visit a couple of shops.

What's a hair day? :D

JRThro
07-13-2006, 05:22 PM
What's a hair day? :D
Think back about 20 years, Bill...

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Think back about 20 years, Bill...

That stringy stuff that I used to have to buy that "shampoo" stuff for and use that comby thing on?

barone
07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
That stringy stuff that I used to have to buy that "shampoo" stuff for and use that comby thing on?

Just think, all the money you're saving from not having to buy shampoo can be spent on....ROCKETS! :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Eagle3
07-16-2006, 05:20 PM
The Taurus is now available and the The Point is now on the "Coming Soon" list. :)

Vanel
07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Broke or no, I have to have one - just ordered a Taurus.

Carl is evil - in a good sort of way. ;)

JSP
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
I got my SLS Laser X a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't started it yet. I'm holding out until I can get all my materials and paint ready, and it's a tight month financially. Still, it's cool just checking out the parts from time to time :D
I ordered both optional engine mounts too. For what you get, it's a GREAT deal!
Thanks Carl!

barone
07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Broke or no, I have to have one - just ordered a Taurus.

Carl is evil - in a good sort of way. ;)

Yep, I feel the same way. Used my gift certificate I was saving for the Saturn IB. Oh well, spend it now or spend it later...... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Bob H
07-16-2006, 07:51 PM
I got my SLS Laser X a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't started it yet. I'm holding out until I can get all my materials and paint ready, and it's a tight month financially. Still, it's cool just checking out the parts from time to time :D
I ordered both optional engine mounts too. For what you get, it's a GREAT deal!
Thanks Carl!The SLS Laser-X is really cool looking in the air. I have flown mine on 2 X D12-5 and 4 X C6-5 and both flights were great. I'm going to fly it on an E23-5 next.

ghrocketman
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I just ordered my Hustler and Taurus.
I received my Aero Dart and Explorer last Wednesday....they look like they will be great builds.
I ALSO intended to use my Gift Certs for the Saturn 1B and Little Joe II, but it looks like I'll be paying for those as well as the Lil'Hustler as soon as they come out.

Hoping those "launch" at NARAM !!!!!
I'll actually probably order two Saturn 1B's

snaquin
07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I spent the $30 that remained on my gift certificate tonight on the SLS Explorer and some parts. I'm waiting for the Lil' Hustler to hit the website so when I build my SLS Hustler it will have a little brother to play with.

I'm also going to see how the SLS Explorer looks with the SLS Hustler payload section and I'm working on the RockSim file for that to see how it sims out. It was mentioned in the Centuri catalog that you could add a payload section to the Explorer and the Hustler was the only other production model that I know of with a payload section that could fit right on the Explorer .....

Should be interesting.

ghrocketman
07-16-2006, 09:39 PM
The Aero Dart payload section directly fits onto the Explorer.

snaquin
07-16-2006, 09:48 PM

Ah, true. Forgot about that one, the most obvious one. I was thinking more about how it would look with the larger payload section. I'm going to try it since I'll have all the parts to build this version (Since I don't yet have the Aero Dart)

dwmzmm
07-16-2006, 10:37 PM
The Taurus is now available and the The Point is now on the "Coming Soon" list. :)

SEMROC is coming out with The Point?! Great! Now I have an excuse to retire my original
The Point (built in 1970); it has done me very well for the past 36 years, most recently used
for the Open Spot Landing event at a NAR Sanctioned Regional meet at JSC a few months ago. If anyone's interested, I can pull out a few pics from this event...

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 11:30 PM
SEMROC is coming out with The Point?! Great! Now I have an excuse to retire my original
The Point (built in 1970); it has done me very well for the past 36 years, most recently used
for the Open Spot Landing event at a NAR Sanctioned Regional meet at JSC a few months ago. If anyone's interested, I can pull out a few pics from this event...

Nah. What use would we have for ROCKET PICTURES? :rolleyes:
(I was going for sarcastic there. Did anyone catch that?) ;) :D

Eagle3
07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
No image yet, but this is also new on the kit list;
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-59

JRThro
07-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Nah. What use would we have for ROCKET PICTURES? :rolleyes:
(I was going for sarcastic there. Did anyone catch that?) ;) :D No, and in fact I'm shocked, *shocked*, to hear that you would ever use sarcasm.

SHOCKED!!!
;) :rolleyes: :eek:

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Aerospace Specialty Products (http://www.asp-rocketry.com/) has been around for a while. Andy Jackson has a full line including some great scale models in all sizes. We look forward to seeing him again at NARAM-48.

Carl -
It'll be good to see you again! Hopefully we can get together for dinner and talk some more...

To the group -
Speaking of NARAM, Who is planning to attend? I can't wait to get there!!!!

John

John Dyer
-----------
www.redriverrocketry.com

tbzep
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
No image yet, but this is also new on the kit list;
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-59

Are there any online photos of the Centuri "Stellar" line of retail rocket kits?

Carl@Semroc
07-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Are there any online photos of the Centuri "Stellar" line of retail rocket kits?
Centuri 1975 Catalog (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuriRT75SpecialAerospaceTeam/75SATcenRT.html)

These were some almost forgotten kits. They were copyrighted in 1971, showed up in department stores in 1972, and then in the 1975 catalogs. They were not around much longer after that.

I have just located an original Spartan with instructions. (The Spartan was the precursor to the Screaming Eagle.) It has a PNC-83 (3.3") nose cone and the instructions and catalog show it with a PNC-89 (4.6") nose cone. It was an early model, so I am thinking they had the PNC-83 before they had the PNC-89 and did early runs with the shorter cone.

ANOTHER question for Lee!

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Only because I took an hour and a half long nap Sunday afternoon. :p

You *may* be even more ecstatic to hear that tonight I managed to draft my Tau Zero review all the way to the part that involves decals. (No, I haven't drawn them yet, which could be why I stopped right there.) I'll probably have to skip ahead to the test-flying portion first.

So there you are. (At least now you're sitting still instead of wiggling around in one place.) ;) :D

Cheers,

You go!
I can't wait to see your finished product!!!
Actually, I don't normally start on the instructions until I've at least flown the model a few times. This weekend will be fun - I have 2 new prototypes to fly. Nina wants to design the decals for the next kit - She came up with the ones for Predator, so I expect they will be cool...

John

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM

I see you wiped my drool off the model before your shot the foto! You did a great job on all 3 models no matter when you built 'em!

John

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 02:14 PM

*Sigh*

I guess it's time to repair my 2 Mini-Max Lil' Hustlers... And, of course buy a clone Hustler to fly too!

Sometimes it pays to be an old rocketeer :p

John

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Centuri 1975 Catalog (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuriRT75SpecialAerospaceTeam/75SATcenRT.html)

These were some almost forgotten kits. They were copyrighted in 1971, showed up in department stores in 1972, and then in the 1975 catalogs. They were not around much longer after that.

I have just located an original Spartan with instructions. (The Spartan was the precursor to the Screaming Eagle.) It has a PNC-83 (3.3") nose cone and the instructions and catalog show it with a PNC-89 (4.6") nose cone. It was an early model, so I am thinking they had the PNC-83 before they had the PNC-89 and did early runs with the shorter cone.

I believe I have a spartan kit in the bag yet. And a Defender. I'll take a look when I get home tonight...

John

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 06:48 PM
I believe I have a spartan kit in the bag yet. And a Defender. I'll take a look when I get home tonight...

John

Hopefully this doesn't come accross as me talking to myself ;)

I don't have a Spartan, But I do have a hercules fron the STELLAR line. I also ran accross a Centuri Defender kit I had stashed. I built one of these back when I was around 14 - it was the first 3 motor cluster model I built.

One of these days I gotta catalog all my old kits ;)

John

JSP
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I tell ya what, John, just bring them over to my place and I'll catalog them for you...and store them for you...FOREVER...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Er....sorry about that......

John Dyer
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I tell ya what, John, just bring them over to my place and I'll catalog them for you...and store them for you...FOREVER...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Er....sorry about that......

Hmm... I think they have shots for that :eek:

LOL

John

JSP
07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
You're gonna shoot me?!!!!!! And Laurie thinks you're so nice.....

ghrocketman
07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Carl at Semroc needs the plans/instructions for the Centuri Defender...is your kit opened ?

Bob H
07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, I'm still waiting for the Little Joe II and Saturn 1B.

None of these new releases have any special attraction for me. To me, they are just more 4FNC rockets except the Taurus which is at least a little different. I barely knew Centuri existed back in the day and I was only attracted to the more exotic designs like the ESS Raven, SST Shuttle and Laser-X.

I may pick up one or two just because I like the rugged construction of the SLS line but there are no "must have" rockets except the SLS Laser-X and I already have one.

snaquin
07-17-2006, 10:07 PM

The Aero Dart payload fit onto the Explorer looks pretty good, sort of "Big Bertha-Ish" for those in need of a payload compartment for an altimeter or possibly a bit lower altitude flight on the larger motors.

If I were to add a payload section, I prefer the larger look with the Explorer with the Huster payload section though. I put the Semroc payload sections on the Explorer in the Semroc RockSim files below if anyone else is interested in playing around with them.

I'm going to add the Aero Dart to my collection too but I want the Lil' Huster next ..... My SLS Explorer shipped today :D

ghrocketman
07-17-2006, 10:09 PM
The Laser X is the only Centuri-based SLS offering that I do not have from Semroc....never liked the design of the original smaller Laser X, thus to me the SLS Laser X is just a huge version of an incredibly UGLY rocket.
I should have one in my collection, but I just can't get over the fugly factor.

DeanHFox
07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
I'd like to see an SLS Skylab, or SLS SST Shuttle, or SLS Space Shuttle...not to mention an SLS of any of the Super Kits...

Heck, I can dream, can't I? :D

ghrocketman
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd really like to see a SLS SSV Scorpion or any of the Super Kits as a SLS rendering EXCEPT the UFO Invader....that was another ugly TURD !
I'd also like to see a SLS SST Shuttle.
Never cared for the Skylab.
Never liked the Centuri Space Shuttle either...now if we are talking a SLS version of the Estes #1284 scale Space Shuttle, that would ROCK !

Tau Zero
07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
You go! I can't wait to see your finished product!!!Thanks, John! Great to hear from you, buddy! ;)

Actually, I don't normally start on the instructions until I've at least flown the model a few times.That's also why I'm writing up a review *before* starting on the instructions. I'm trying to figure out exactly the best "order" for the assembly steps. :D

This weekend will be fun - I have 2 new prototypes to fly. Nina wants to design the decals for the next kit - She came up with the ones for Predator, so I expect they will be cool...Then they should be *very* cool! :D

Good luck, and cheers,

Initiator001
07-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Carl -
It'll be good to see you again! Hopefully we can get together for dinner and talk some more...

To the group -
Speaking of NARAM, Who is planning to attend? I can't wait to get there!!!!

John

John Dyer
-----------
www.redriverrocketry.com

I'll be there! :D

Bob

Initiator001
07-17-2006, 11:17 PM

It was my understanding that the Centuri Stellar product line was designed to compete with the Estes Citation line of products.

Both lines were designed to be sold to retail outlets (JC Penny, Wolworth's, etc.) as oppossed to hobby shops. Funny thing is, I only remember seeing the Citation line in hobby shops and wasn't even aware of the Stellar line until ten years ago.

Bob

Eagle3
07-18-2006, 07:18 AM
OK, Carl is a master of torture.... :p New for 2006 and no rendering?!?!?!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-9

Vanel
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
OK, Carl is a master of torture.... :p New for 2006 and no rendering?!?!?!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-9

Ya know, you could download the RockSim file - there's a link on the page :D

Looks very Bertha-esque to moi....

Eagle3
07-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Damn! forgot that! Thanks Vanel

ghrocketman
07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Who originally made the Brighton ?
Never heard of it.....

Eagle3
07-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Who originally made the Brighton ?
Never heard of it.....

The page sez, "New for 2006" so I dont' think it's a direct clone, though as mentioned by Vanel it looks like a Big Bertha, but bigger, but not quite a Super Big Bertha either. *LOL*

Ltvscout
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
The page sez, "New for 2006" so I dont' think it's a direct clone, though as mentioned by Vanel it looks like a Big Bertha, but bigger, but not quite a Super Big Bertha either. *LOL*
Is it a Super Goliath?

Eagle3
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Is it a Super Goliath?

According to the rocksim file those are Big Bertha fins.

John Dyer
07-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Carl at Semroc needs the plans/instructions for the Centuri Defender...is your kit opened ?

Nope... Which means it's got all the parts. Actually, I have two of 'em still sealed with the original staples. I've already offered to give him one so he can get the kit started - whenever his priorities will allow the Defender to be added to kit production queue.

I want to see this kit released too! :p

John

John Dyer
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks, John! Great to hear from you, buddy! ;)

That's also why I'm writing up a review *before* starting on the instructions. I'm trying to figure out exactly the best "order" for the assembly steps. :D

Then they should be *very* cool! :D

Good luck, and cheers,

Let me know if you need anyone to bounce ideas off of. Hopefully we can get together at NARAM for a bit and chew the fat. I can't wait to get there! This will be the first NARAM since 25 that I've been at tha I haven't worked the whole time. I'm looking forwards with catching up with all my old friends. :D

John

John Dyer
07-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I'll be there! :D

Bob

Bob -
Looke me up - I'll be the guy selling rocket kits :p

Ok, so there will be a few other folks doing that too!

John

snaquin
07-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Carl & Sheryl a big thanks to both of you for getting my SLS Explorer and parts order out to me. I'm sure you're all slammed with getting kits ready for NARAM and yet your customer service and shipping is still lightning fast.

I love the motor mount system design you have for the Hustler and Explorer kits!

And I tried a couple of your small baffles too ..... they're a lot stronger than I thought they would be. I really like them :)

barone
07-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Yep, I feel the same way. Used my gift certificate I was saving for the Saturn IB. Oh well, spend it now or spend it later...... :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Got my Taurus today. Can you guess what's moved to the top of the build que? :rolleyes:

Don
NAR 53455

Initiator001
07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I was just checking the Semroc website (Which I do 2-3 times a day ;) ) and the SLS Lil' Hustler and Point kits are now available for shipping!

I guess I will be picking mine up at NARAM. :D

Bob

ghrocketman
07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
I just ordered my Lil Hustler !

Vanel
07-23-2006, 10:47 PM
I just placed my order for both... Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce must have been extremely busy the past few weeks!

Initiator001
07-23-2006, 10:57 PM
I just placed my order for both... Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce must have been extremely busy the past few weeks!

I think we will all find out how busy they have been when they arrive at NARAM. ;)

Bob

ghrocketman
07-24-2006, 08:47 AM
According to Carl's posting on this site, if you click on his "minutes" link, we will still be waiting for the Saturn 1b and Little Joe II.

RATS !!!!!

I was hoping they would release them at NARAM !
The last I knew from NARCON, those two kits were supposedly ready except for the instructions.
I'd like to get my hands on them in a JTP (just the parts) format as they did with the early Hustler release.

Ltvscout
07-24-2006, 08:54 AM
According to Carl's posting on this site, if you click on his "minutes" link, we will still be waiting for the Saturn 1b and Little Joe II.
More importantly is the price increase that is coming. I compared the old prices to the new and some of the kits are jumping pretty dramatically. For example, the Hydra VII is going up by $6.50. You can still get the kits at the old prices till they get back from NARAM. I recommend that anyone interested in Semroc kits order NOW!

tbzep
07-24-2006, 09:16 AM

RATS !!!!!

Yes, and he said the Saturn 1B only had 50 requests over the last 7 months. The 1B has by far the most votes, right now sitting at 220. The next closest kit is the K-22 V2 with 132 votes. The Mars Lander is only sitting on 113 and it is available. If it hasn't had many votes lately, it's because everybody voted for it early!

ghrocketman
07-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Totally agree with the last post !
Seems all the requests would have came in for the Saturn 1b very early....I know mine did !

Although I REALLY like the SLS releases (and have them all except the Lil'Hustler, which should be in the mail) of all the Old Centuri "Mini-Max"/early (pre '72) Enerjet line, I somehow doubt that there were more requests for the Aero-Dart, Hustler, Lil'Hustler and Explorer than the Saturn 1B....most likely they have as many S1B requests as all these combined.

I just hope these two are coming REALLY soon and we don't end up waiting another 4 months or so.

sandman
07-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I know where Carl is coming from.

The time money and effort invested in a new kit, especially scale, is enormous! A clone is even worst when you look at the glaring errors on the original Estes Saturn 1B and what documentation is now available on the real model.

Do you include the errors because they were on the original Estes kit or do you make the model more accurate to the prototype?

How productive is it after all of the time and effort to have 150 completed kits sitting on your shelf waiting for orders?

I know!

The regular poster here and on TRF all want a copy of the Saturn 1B but how many kits is that?

50...75?

And when he releases it not everyone is going to be ready to shell out the cash right away so his investment money may be tied up for a while until some people get off their behinds and order them. Just 'cause you said you wanted two Saturn 1B kits, when the time comes to dish out $90 you may not be ready or not be able to.

If Carl wants to wait for a more favorable time to release a kit I'm willing to wait.

Hey the Mars Lander was worth the wait! :D

ghrocketman
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't disagree that his kits are worth the wait, quite the contrary compared to everything I have purchased from Semroc....

That does not mitigate the fact that I'm anxious (to put it mildly) for these to be released.

By the way, what size rod fits the tilt-a-pads you have offered to produce ?....I may need to order one of those from you.

tbzep
07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I completely understand the situation. I trust Carl's honesty, so I would be willing to pay in advance as long as there was a release date specified. That way, he could finish the more expensive kits/clones instead of having to do the others first to build capital for the project.

ghrocketman
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Me too....I would gladly pay up front for a S1B and LJII if I could get a confirmed release date.

sandman
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
ahhh...."I don't dissagree that his kits are worth the wait"...ghrocketman, that double negative had me worried for a minute. :D But I figured it out. :rolleyes:

Actually if I had a few copies of Carl's Saturn 1b's and Little Joe II's in front of me I wouldn't be able to get to them right away anyhow. He's cranking stuff out a lot faster than I can build.

The Tilt-a-Pad just has a 1/8" hole for a standard rod but that can be easily fixed with a bigger drill bit.

Just let me know what you want...hold the pickles hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us! ;)

JSP
07-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Interesting question about the scale issues vs clone issues.... I would say stick with the original product, errors and all. If someone wanted to buy a very accurate scale model of the IB or Saturn V there are other places to do so. The appeal (in my humble opinion) is the retro value...Of course that brings up another issue; which edition do you clone?
Just my 1.5 cents worth... ;)

John Dyer
07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Interesting question about the scale issues vs clone issues.... I would say stick with the original product, errors and all. If someone wanted to buy a very accurate scale model of the IB or Saturn V there are other places to do so. The appeal (in my humble opinion) is the retro value...Of course that brings up another issue; which edition do you clone?
Just my 1.5 cents worth... ;)

I kinda disagree...
If there are newer technologies (Kevlar, etc) that can be incorporated into the clone kit then they should be added. I think the change would be minor, and would add to the longevity of the kit...

John

JSP
07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Right, but what I'm saying is keep the external details and construction the same- just like they've done on their other Retro-Repro kits.

John Dyer
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Right, but what I'm saying is keep the external details and construction the same- just like they've done on their other Retro-Repro kits.

Yep... sounds good to me.

John

snaquin
07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
My SLS Lil' Hustler is on the way along with three more of the small baffle kits for scratch builds.

My favorite email auto-response from Semroc:

Dear Steve Naquin,

Your order was updated to : Shipped

:D

ScaleNut
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Me too....I would gladly pay up front for a S1B and LJII if I could get a confirmed release date.

well we voted and it's still #1 by almost double (followed by the v2)
nomatter how you slice or dice it.

excuse 1) the drawings are almost done
excuse 2) don't want to compete with other smalltime kit makers
excuse 3) there haven't been enough votes "lately"
excuse 4) had to make centuri clones for Naram 48 instead
excuse 5) (pending)

bash if you like, but these are the official excuses.

Eagle3
07-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Well, apparently something happened at Semroc's website, or they got tired of the nagging. There's no information (that I could find) on any of the "coming soon" kits. I could only find info on what is currently available.

Eagle3
07-25-2006, 10:41 AM
The votes are also missing from Semroc's "The Classics" page. :confused:

JRThro
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I've never been able to find the page where we can vote, other than by way of a link that someone else had posted, like Jay does in his signature.

Well, maybe not never, but I can't find it now.

Eagle3
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
If you go to the Classics page,
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp

There used to be a row for the number of votes each model has received. To vote you had to click on the icon in the first field for each model's row. That brings up a page for that model and there used to be a button to "vote for this model". The button is gone for each model's page and the row for number of votes each model has recieved is also missing from the Classics page.

They may have disabled all of this stuff while they're at NARAM. *shrugs*

ghrocketman
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
If you use the following link it will show the kits with the most votes in order still, but with the "votes number" column missing.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicKits.asp?sort=votes

ghrocketman
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Searching for Saturn, Saturn1B, Little and Little Joe II resulted in no records found.....searched on "soon" also and found nothing.
I hope this is JUST an attempt to stop us from bugging them, not an indication that development of these kits has been abandoned.
I'm startin' to get a funny feelin' about the future of these two kits....if it was anyone but Semroc/Carl I'd say we are about to be disappointed.

Carl@Semroc
07-25-2006, 02:50 PM
We have been getting far too many complaints lately about how we try to keep our customers informed about our future products. We have attempted to keep Semroc almost transparent so our customers had some influence on our future directions and knew what we were working on. The content of some recent emails have made it clear that, "We voted for it, now produce it!" Some have questioned our integrity; that we never intended to produce kits that we are working very hard on and have far too much capital tied up on.

It has not been our intention to "scheme" the public, if that is the way it came across. That is the reason our website has been trimmed of everything that is "planned", "coming soon", "in the works", or just a work in progress. After NARAM, we are going to try to find a way to provide the same service, but without the grief. Suggestions welcome!

None of this has impacted anything we are working on.

tbzep
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Half of the fun is seeing that stuff on the website and anticipating the release of them. In a way, it's like being a kid and waiting for the mailman to bring a new Estes/Centuri catalog or a box of rocket goodies. I obviously can't buy every product that will be released, but look foward to seeing what is being worked on and reading the posts of excited customers when something changes on the site.

I hope my comment in this thread wasn't taken as negative. I only said that I would trust you to take my $45 in advance for a Saturn 1B in order for you to have plenty of capital to complete the project as long as there was a reasonable project completion date. There are only a very small handful of companies of any type, much less hobby companies that I would trust like that.

ghrocketman
07-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Whew....
I was wondering if they decided not to produce them for some reason.

I sincerely hope my comments were not taken as negative either...they were not intended to be.
I just know how great the stuff/parts/kits from Carl/Sheryl/Bruce & the whole gang at Semroc are and sometimes get carried away with anticipation !

Maybe if they could just publish a "Targeted" launch date for a new product....that would make the system somewhat "Closed Loop" in engineering jargon..I'm sure everyone would be understanding if for example Semroc "SLS Widget or etc" was shown with a Launch target of Fall 2006 had to be moved to Winter 2007 etc....

On the other hand maybe we are spoiled in that Carl generally gives us much more info about upcoming products than anyone else.

sandman
07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I was suprised by the negative feel of some of the comments about the SEMROC site.

I can't build Carl's stuff as fast as he can make it. If he wants to take a bit longer on some kits well, that just temporarily solves some of my storage problems.

tbzep
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I was suprised by the negative feel of some of the comments about the SEMROC site.

Me too...and saddened by it as well. Up front pricing/shipping, free kits, great quality, repro kits, quick shipping...it can't get much better!

JSP
07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I think people lost touch with the fact that Semroc doesn't HAVE to produce any particular kit. They already have an great lineup, and are working very hard to add to it...but if a kit doesn't come together. we certainly don't have any reason (or right) to gripe. Just a thought...
By the way, my SLS Laser X ROCKS! :D

John Dyer
07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Whew....
I was wondering if they decided not to produce them for some reason.

I sincerely hope my comments were not taken as negative either...they were not intended to be.
I just know how great the stuff/parts/kits from Carl/Sheryl/Bruce & the whole gang at Semroc are and sometimes get carried away with anticipation !

Maybe if they could just publish a "Targeted" launch date for a new product....that would make the system somewhat "Closed Loop" in engineering jargon..I'm sure everyone would be understanding if for example Semroc "SLS Widget or etc" was shown with a Launch target of Fall 2006 had to be moved to Winter 2007 etc....

On the other hand maybe we are spoiled in that Carl generally gives us much more info about upcoming products than anyone else.

True. The quality of the kits he's turning out is fantastic, and we wouldn't want that to drop at all. He is very forthcoming on the new releases. I try to get a kit out once per quarter (hey, I'm still small fry ;) ) but that gets hard to do whn real life (and budget stuff) gets in the way. I loudly applaud Carl's efforts!

John

John Dyer
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
I think people lost touch with the fact that Semroc doesn't HAVE to produce any particular kit. They already have an great lineup, and are working very hard to add to it...but if a kit doesn't come together. we certainly don't have any reason (or right) to gripe. Just a thought...
By the way, my SLS Laser X ROCKS! :D

Ok... I guess I better get my SLS Laser-X built so we can drag race 'em!

John

JSP
07-25-2006, 05:22 PM
I didn't say my SLS Laser X was BUILT yet... ;)

JRThro
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
We have been getting far too many complaints lately about how we try to keep our customers informed about our future products. We have attempted to keep Semroc almost transparent so our customers had some influence on our future directions and knew what we were working on. The content of some recent emails have made it clear that, "We voted for it, now produce it!" Some have questioned our integrity; that we never intended to produce kits that we are working very hard on and have far too much capital tied up on.

It has not been our intention to "scheme" the public, if that is the way it came across. That is the reason our website has been trimmed of everything that is "planned", "coming soon", "in the works", or just a work in progress. After NARAM, we are going to try to find a way to provide the same service, but without the grief. Suggestions welcome!

Carl, if my comment(s) came across as negative, that wasn't my intention at all. Looking at things from your perspective, I can see how the constant nagging/whining/etc. would get tiresome after a while. Personally, I think that the transparency you've maintained to this point has been one of the great things about Semroc, and I'll bet that others will agree.

Maybe instead of "Coming Soon!" the description might be something like "Kits We're Working On And Plan To Produce At Some Indeterminate Time In The Future When It Makes Financial Sense To Do So!"

(That was meant as a joke, btw.)
;) :D

Ltvscout
07-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Carl,

Sorry to hear that a few have ruined it for the many. It's not like as if you're taking pre-orders and taking people's money without producing a product. I'm still patiently waiting for the Payloader II to be released since it was my first rocket. ;) I can wait another few years.

I know it may be hard, but I'd just ignore the complainers.

Bob H
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM

Carl,

I hope that my comments were not viewed to be "negative". I never questioned the fact that you were working on the Saturn 1B or Little Joe II.

I guess I was just expressing my "impatience". You never said what kits would come out in which order nor did you ever give a release date before having kits ready.

I have been more than happy with all the kits and with the quaility of the parts I have purchased from SEMROC and I will certainly be buying more in the future.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to many more releases, whenever they occur.

rraeford
07-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Carl,

Let me chime in here.

No matter how long you take to release the S1b it won't be worse than waiting for another S1b I pre-purchased some years ago. That kit took a loooooooong time to come out. It was worth it though. Yours will be too.

If you were to ask for a prepurchase on some kit I bet you'd be surprised how many people would send you money. Not saying you should do this...just a thought. With your reputation I think people would respond.

Wish i could be there at NARAM. I 'd actually planned to finally attend this year and got laid off. I've found another job but lost all my accumulated vacation. Bummer.

Romie

snaquin
07-29-2006, 11:55 AM
My Semroc Lil' Hustler got here Thursday. It didn't make the build queue ..... I just had to rip the bag open and build it immediately :D

The word that best describes this kit: excellent :cool:

I do have a question for you guys. Did the Lil' Hustler appear in any catalog photos in these colors between 1967 and 1971? Just curious if this color scheme was derived from a catalog photo or it's just suggested to finish it that way .....

JSP
07-29-2006, 01:40 PM
The best I can tell there is no way to know until the '69 catalog. At that point they went with a two ink print (black and yellow) that showed that paint scheme...EXCEPT that the payload section just had a narrow yellow band around the top instead of being all yellow. You can see for your self at http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp82.html.
Hope this helps!

snaquin
07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
The best I can tell there is no way to know until the '69 catalog. At that point they went with a two ink print (black and yellow) that showed that paint scheme...EXCEPT that the payload section just had a narrow yellow band around the top instead of being all yellow. You can see for your self at http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp82.html.
Hope this helps!

Thanks and yes, I see what you mean. I poked around a little on the Ninfinger site too and found that the Lil' Hustler seems to appear in the back of the 69 catalog behind the X-21 and in front of the Explorer finished to look similar to the Hustler, only maybe an orange payload section instead of red like the Hustler.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/69cenp97.html

What I found interesting the Lil' Hustler isn't in the photo in the back of the 71 catalog as far as I can see

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/centuri71d/71dcen96.html

I'm not sure how to finish it but I guess I'll decide soon since I'm filling the balsa and basswood later today and should be spraying primer soon.

JSP
07-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Hmmm...Your're right, it looks like the Lil Hustler didn't make the '71 back page. I also noticed that the Laser X has a weird all white paint sceme...

SEL
07-29-2006, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=JSP]Hmmm...Your're right, it looks like the Lil Hustler didn't make the '71 back page. .... QUOTE]

They probably lost it on the F67-9 Enerjet ;-)

Sean

snaquin
07-30-2006, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=JSP]Hmmm...Your're right, it looks like the Lil Hustler didn't make the '71 back page. .... QUOTE]

They probably lost it on the F67-9 Enerjet ;-)

Sean

Maybe I should have built that 24mm motor mount that was included with the kit instead of tossing it to the side .....

I never thought of that. Without a payload an F40-10 is pushing almost 3,000 feet in this rocket and that's less motor than the F67 was :eek:

JSP
07-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Yep, you'd better put a buzzer in that sucker or it's GONE.....
I just built a buzzer from Radio Shack parts that's going into all my high performance stuff...It cost about 6 bucks to build, which is nothing compaired to the agony of never seeing a prized model again! ;)

snaquin
08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I was checking out the reloads at BRS Hobbies tonight and look what I stumbled upon .....

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/dt1122/pd240663

Arriving 9/2006

The KS-3 Little Joe II is listed there too, also for 9/2006 arrival

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/dt1122/pd240661

Initiator001
08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I was checking out the reloads at BRS Hobbies tonight and look what I stumbled upon .....

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/dt1122/pd240663

Arriving 9/2006

The KS-3 Little Joe II is listed there too, also for 9/2006 arrival

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php/BRSHobbies/dt1122/pd240661

This is encouraging news. :)

However, I'll wait for the announcement on the Semroc website to know it is official.

No pressure, Carl. No pressure. ;)

Bob