PDA

View Full Version : July Sod Farm ABC Triathlon

DANLK66
06-12-2011, 06:51 PM
We will be having our second annual Sod Farm Triathlon coming up in July so now is the time to get ready to rumble!

Last year we had a great time with the A triathlon. This event had one rocket that you flew in A streamer duration, A parachute duration, and A spot landing. Joe won the event and taught is the importance of having 3 qualified flights.

This year we have added a Sod Farm twist and will be having the “ABC” Triathlon.

You will have one rocket that will be flown once in each of the following events:

A streamer duration
B parachute duration
C spot landing

The rocket must survive and be returned after all 3 flights. Choose your rocket wisely as the winner will have their name added to the Model of the month drawing for the big prize at the club Xmas party.

See you all there.

Dan

BillandKids
06-19-2011, 09:26 PM
This is all new to me. If I understand this correctly,
I must use the same model for three flights.,

1st is a streamer flight on a "A" motor
2nd a parachute flight on a "B" motor
3rd a spot landing on a "C" motor.

Any limitations on streamer length or other details I should know?.. Any advice?

DANLK66
06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi Bill,
The event is like you said. One rocket in three events each event with a different motor size. You can use what ever size streamer and parachute you would like but your rocket must survive each event and be returned to have a qualified flight. You may not alter your rocket in-between flights. The winner will be entered into the model of the month drawing at Xmas party.
As far as choosing a rocket the hard part is having a rocket that will do good with an A motor for the SD and yet not fly to high in the C spot landing event.

Good Luck

Dan

chadrog
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Does a specific recovery device need to be used for the spot landing flight?

DANLK66
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Other than no tumble recovery you can use what you like as long as it is safe. I would guess that most will use streamers.

Dan

ghrocketman
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Use a 3" long piece of streamer for spot landing and hope the rocket is not busticated.
Seeing as there are NO size limitations, that should be completely legitimate.
"Aerospike" (zero system with a glued on nose and ejected motor) / Lawn-Dart recovery is COMPLETELY SAFE provided no humans in "recovery" area.

DANLK66
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
The word "safe" above establishes a minimum for a recovery device. :)

ghrocketman
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Who defines "safe"?
Seems that term is HIGHLY subjective and up for interpretation.
Is there a maximum legal descent rate ?

Often what I consider perfectly safe ENOUGH is outlandishly reckless to mamby-pamby safety weenies.

chadrog
06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
With the amount of children that learn from us and fly with us, it's in our best interests to set a good example - one of you is enough.