PDA

View Full Version : Chrome sheets

tbzep
07-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Does Hobby Lobby carry chrome sheets or penstriping? Just wondering if I could get some there without having to go to an R/C shop to get some expensive Trim Monocote (Moneycote). All I need is a small piece to make two rings around my Semroc Lil' Herc. I've just finished it in 1974 Centuri catalog colors and all that's needed are the rings.

I also slapped together the X-24 bug that I've had printed and waiting for three or four years. Dang what a backlog of stuff I have to do! :eek:

dwmzmm
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Does Hobby Lobby carry chrome sheets or penstriping? Just wondering if I could get some there without having to go to an R/C shop to get some expensive Trim Monocote (Moneycote). All I need is a small piece to make two rings around my Semroc Lil' Herc. I've just finished it in 1974 Centuri catalog colors and all that's needed are the rings.

I also slapped together the X-24 bug that I've had printed and waiting for three or four years. Dang what a backlog of stuff I have to do! :eek:

The chrome sheets I bought from HL once aren't worth any $$ to spend. At least, the ones I
got are so thin and fragile that they're nothing but trouble. Wish I could find the type of chrome mylar that CMR carried in their catalogs in the 1970's, those were a real dandy to
use!

Vanel
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
The chrome sheets I bought from HL once aren't worth any $$ to spend. At least, the ones I
got are so thin and fragile that they're nothing but trouble. Wish I could find the type of chrome mylar that CMR carried in their catalogs in the 1970's, those were a real dandy to
use!

Amen!

dtomko
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM

Tim,

How big a piece do you need? I have a few scrap pieces of chrome Trim Monokote that I am not going to use. If I have a big enough piece I can send you one.

Drew

tbzep
07-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Tim,

How big a piece do you need? I have a few scrap pieces of chrome Trim Monokote that I am not going to use. If I have a big enough piece I can send you one.

Drew

Thanks Drew, but I need head out to a real hobby shop anyway. My son wants some styrene sheeting to fabricate a push bar for his kitbashed General Lee car. I was just putting it off. If for some reason they don't have any, I might give you a holler.

stefanj
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Michael's craft shops carry a selection of metallic "Contact Ultra".

They have gold and silver metallics, plus blue and red metallic flake and a "prismatic" silver patter, in five packs (letter sized sheets) and rolls.

The former are three dollars and change if you use the 40% off coupon.

ScaleNut
07-09-2006, 10:52 AM

A 5" by 36" sheet of trim monokote can be had for as little as $2.49
even at 3 or 4 dollars. I figure thats quite inexpensive for the amount of rockets you can detail with one sheet!

tbzep
07-09-2006, 11:39 AM
The cost comes from traveling to an R/C hobby shop. I'm in a rural area, so I'd spend $20 on gas plus the cost of the sheet. Not to mention, seeing all the other cool stuff there. I'm afraid I'd walk out with something I really don't need. I've put my R/C hobby on hold for a while and I already have several unbuilt kits. :rolleyes:

I'll probably order a sheet from Tower. My son wants some styrene and they have both in stock. The $9 shipping charge will be cheaper than driving to a hobby shop. I'll probably throw in some X-Acto blades, paint, and other consumables to make it a little more cost effective.

tbzep
07-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, slap my butt and call me judy! I forgot about the Estes Mercury Atlas I have. I pulled out the chrome (polished stainless for the real thing) wrap and cut two strips off the scrap. I now have my chrome strips for the Lil' Herc ! I'll post some pics this afternoon. :)

ghrocketman
07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
NOTHING replicates chrome like trim Monokote....I dont even consider it expensive at all....it is under $5/sheet at my local hobby shop.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, slap my butt and call me judy!

:eek: Uh, thanks for sharing your honeymoon story with us, but is this really the place? :rolleyes:

bikegod
07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
I wish the TrimKote was that cheap out this way.

Still, at 6 bucks, I like having the Chrome and Black handy. Still learning to cut letters and stuff, but I redid the bottom tube on my daughter's Skywriter, using the Chrome for the "eraser holder"

I think the Semroc tube I finished with the chrome looks better than the original. But then again, Carl's tubes out of the package are better than Estes. I didn't even bother to prime it because it would look too much better than the upper tube.

Guess I am gonna have to replace that sometime too, just so it looks even.

snuggles
07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
One of my many occupations was working in a label printing shop. There were HUGE rolls of chrome mylar for use in printing labels. I was able to get myself a roll of this material. It was too small for the print shop to use on the presses(maybe 1") I have had this same roll for well over 10 years. Lots of material for what I was using it for. Look for print shops in the phone book and stop in and ask for the big shot in charge.Tell him what you are looking for, he may just give it to you(maybe buy a pizza for the shop for lunch) That should seal the deal.
My 2 cents
Mark T