PDA

View Full Version : Angle Cutting Technique

Solomoriah
07-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Can anyone clue me in on how to cut a body tube on an angle?

No, I'm serious, I don't know how...

barone
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Can anyone clue me in on how to cut a body tube on an angle?

No, I'm serious, I don't know how...

Well, if it's a 45 degree angle, the best way is to buy an Xacto miter box..... :D

Somewhere, there is also a template for wrapping around the body tube to be cut. Gotta see if I can find it if no one else chimes in.....

Don
NAR 53455

PaulK
07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm currently building a dynastar snarky, which comes with wraps and instructions to use a very sharp hobby knife, and shallow cuts.

-paul

stefanj
07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
42nd Dimension's "Template Widget" can print out wraps for marking body tubes for various angle cuts:

http://www.42nd-dimension.com/rocketry/templates.html

Solomoriah
07-09-2006, 12:06 AM
42nd Dimension's "Template Widget" can print out wraps for marking body tubes for various angle cuts:

http://www.42nd-dimension.com/rocketry/templates.html
Okay, that's just cool.

I'm going to look over his Postscript documents... I may put together a web-based version, usable on any OS that has a working web browser and Acrobat Reader (or equivalent). It appears straightforward (famous last words).

ScaleNut
07-09-2006, 10:44 AM
good source of tools and templates

http://www.rocketreviews.com/tools.shtml

bikegod
07-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Well, this answered half of my two part question (thanks for the widget link).

I was wondering what would be the best way to slot a tube for thru the tube fins. I am building something based on the Laser SLS with a quad engine and I picked up the kit from Carl at Semroc.

He had offered to cut the tube for me but I wasn't sure what I had in mind for the fins. Now I wish I had taken him up on it.

I could always buy another tube and ask him to cut it, but I would never learn that way.

barone
07-15-2006, 07:29 PM
........He had offered to cut the tube for me but I wasn't sure what I had in mind for the fins. Now I wish I had taken him up on it.

Piece of cake.....well almost..... ;)

Mark the body tube like you would for putting the fins on outside the body tube. Then, make another guide line off to the side of that line at a distance that matches the thickness of the fin stock (make sure you go to the same side on all your lines). Then, draw a line between the two line (perpendicuar) where your tabs will be. Then, using a sharp hobby knife (or straight edge razor), cut the slot out for your through the wall mounted fin.

Don't worry if you mess up. You can always buy a pre-slotted tube from Carl. :)

Don
NAR 53455

bikegod
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
If I had only known....

Basically I am bashing an SLS Laser. Extra long body (for payloads on parachutes). Still using the Laser fin design, but the RocSim doesn't have the slot on the fin pattern where the engine mount locks in.

Doing the fins in Basswood (like the Laser) and using a 10" solid balsa nosecone (also from Semroc).

Just wanted to see how big I could go on C6 engines, and when Carl introduced the quad mount engine for the Laser, I had to have one.

At least the tube (even pre-slotted) is really reasonable.

stefanj
07-16-2006, 12:52 PM
A tool every rocketeer should have:

A yard or so of aluminum angle stock. The one I have is about 3/4" on a side; it cost about $5.00 at Home Depot.

I mostly use it for marking body tubes, but it is also perfect for guiding knife cuts when making body tube slots.

It is good to make your slots a little under-sized. Cut on the INSIDE of the marks. Use an emery board or a Dremel to widen the slot as needed.

bikegod
07-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I actually just got some angle stock. I have been using it to guide my cuts on trimkote and fins.

Thanks for the tips!