PDA

View Full Version : Drat!

tbzep
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I've spent the last hour pouring through boxes in the attic and visiting with my little brown recluse buddies. I've found all the plastic parts to my old LTV Scout except for the first transition section and two fins. So close, but yet so far!

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I've spent the last hour pouring through boxes in the attic and visiting with my little brown recluse buddies. I've found all the plastic parts to my old LTV Scout except for the first transition section and two fins. So close, but yet so far!

Yuck. I killed a brown recluse at work the other night. Been scared of them ever since my Dad told me about them. :eek:

DeanHFox
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Yuck. I killed a brown recluse at work the other night. Been scared of them ever since my Dad told me about them. :eek:

When I was growing up in Northwest Ohio, the band director of a nearby school was bitten by a brown recluse. He weighed 280 pounds when he was bitten.

Three months later, he got out of the hospital, and weighed a little over 130 pounds.

Anything that can do that...I want to be far, far away from. They really didn't think he was going to live.

JSP
07-06-2006, 04:11 PM
280 pounds? Wow! That spider was HUGE!

Tau Zero
07-06-2006, 04:54 PM
280 pounds? Wow! That spider was HUGE!Then you may not have ever seen the movie "Tarantula (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048696/)" (1955) in glorious black and white. :eek: Or "Them! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/)" from the year before. ;)

Although I *will* admit to having a soft spot in my head for "It Came from Outer Space! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045920/)" (1953, story by Ray Bradbury). :p

Cheers,

JSP
07-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Yep, saw 'em both. I never could get real scared of ants, though...until I was swarmed with fire ants while mowing. Those suckers have enough venom to blister up with every bite! Mega- Ouch! But I digress....
I have "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" on video, but I wish I had some better B movie stuff. (not that those aren't great in their own way) Maybe I'll start looking a bit harder for some....

tbzep
07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
I got a few for Christmas the last couple of years.

In no particular order:

Rocketship X-M
Destination Moon
Robot Monster
The Day The Earth Stood Still
War Of The Worlds (1953 version)
Conquest of Space
Stange Invaders
Invaders From Mars
Invisible Invaders
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Journey To The Seventh Planet
Radar Men From The Moon (TV serial chapters 7-12)
Flash Gordon (TV serial 9 episodes)

I wonder what I'll get this year?

CPMcGraw
07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I have "Plan 9 From Outer Space"... Maybe I'll start looking a bit harder for some....

This one was really enjoyable when I saw it on MST3K...

At least, I think that's where I saw it...

Tau Zero
07-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Yep, saw 'em both.I was expecting "I Married a Monster from Outer Space (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051756/)" (1958) to be exceptionally cheesy, but I was surprised at how thoughtful the plot and characters were. I have to rate it "Surprisingly Good!"

Cheers,

Tweener
07-07-2006, 08:46 AM

In no particular order:

....Invisible Invaders....

I wonder what I'll get this year?Hey, is that the one where they make footprints and seem to strangle people, but can't be hit when shot at? Then when they finally make them visible they turn out to be brains with a snake-like spine that makes the "footprints" and wraps around people's necks when they jump at 'em - and they can be shot, but everybody had just been aiming too high? :confused:

If it isn't - I'm not going bananas. There really is an old "B" movie like that. Really. No kidding. I'm pretty sure. My dreams have never been that creative. ;)

JRThro
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM

In no particular order:

Rocketship X-M
Destination Moon
Robot Monster
The Day The Earth Stood Still
War Of The Worlds (1953 version)
Conquest of Space
Stange Invaders
Invaders From Mars
Invisible Invaders
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Journey To The Seventh Planet
Radar Men From The Moon (TV serial chapters 7-12)
Flash Gordon (TV serial 9 episodes)

I wonder what I'll get this year?
I've got "The Day the Earth Stood Still" on laserdisc, but I've never seen it. And "War of the Worlds" is a classic!

JSP
07-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Walking Brain-Spines? Now THAT'S great cinema!!!

sandman
07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
The ultimate in Cheesy is "Attack of the Killer Shrews"

LOL...Dogs with "rat costumes"!

And it was sooooo obvious too!

"Radar Men from the Moon" was a Cammando Cody serial and I have all 12 episodes.

When the ship takes off and they show a shot of the passengers, you can see they are sitting in 1950's era office chairs and they all lean back simultainiously while the camera was just tilted to look like they were "under g's".

Then after they settle into the trip to the moon the "girl" on board serves them coffee with cups and saucers...from a glass coffee pot. Probably NOT a good idea on a spaceship!

Anyway...here is my rendering of his ship.

It flew at NARAM 45 on a D21-4 to about 350' but it wound up with a "bonus" delay of an extra 4 sec and the chute deployed at high speed about 10' from the ground.

The model was fine, no damage, but the mylar chute...shredded.

Tau Zero
07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Walking Brain-Spines? Now THAT'S great cinema!!!That's probably where the creators of "Jimmy Neutron: Win, Lose, and Kaboom (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418769/)" (2004) -- formerly "You Bet Your Life Form" -- got the idea for their "Brain" creatures. It's always fun to see the references to sci-fi movies, etc. that they throw in.

This movie was on Nickelodeon, and you may remember Tim Allen doing the voice for the annoying game show host. :D

Cheers,

JRThro
07-07-2006, 11:37 AM
That's probably where the creators of "Jimmy Neutron: Win, Lose, and Kaboom (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418769/)" (2004) -- formerly "You Bet Your Life Form" -- got the idea for their "Brain" creatures. It's always fun to see the references to sci-fi movies, etc. that they throw in.

This movie was on Nickelodeon, and you may remember Tim Allen doing the voice for the annoying game show host. :D

Cheers,
Hogarth, the boy in the animated movie "The Iron Giant," watches a movie with very similar brain creatures one night while his mom (voiced by Jennifer Aniston) is at work. That same night, IIRC, the iron giant comes to Earth.

tbzep
07-07-2006, 10:32 PM

Yep...been hanging out with my brown recluse buddies again. I found one more LTV Scout fin. I'm down to a single fin and one transition section before I can rebuild i. I wonder which will happen first, finding the parts or getting bitten. :confused:

I could turn the missing transition section without any problem, but thosethree little plastic fins would look funny with one balsa fin amongst them. :(

DeanHFox
07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey, is that the one where they make footprints and seem to strangle people, but can't be hit when shot at? Then when they finally make them visible they turn out to be brains with a snake-like spine that makes the "footprints" and wraps around people's necks when they jump at 'em - and they can be shot, but everybody had just been aiming too high? :confused:

If it isn't - I'm not going bananas. There really is an old "B" movie like that. Really. No kidding. I'm pretty sure. My dreams have never been that creative. ;)

You're not bananas. I remember that creepy B&W movie, too...saw it as a young boy on one of those "4PM Dialing for Dollars" movie shows as a kid. Scared the #### out of me for months...those brains with "choker" tails were my favorite "embodiments of evil" in my imaginary games as a kid.

The correct title of the movie is "Fiend Without a Face" from 1958, and you can see a review of it at http://exclamationmark.typepad.com/blog/film_reviews_1958/index.html . You'll need to scroll about a third of the way down the page (there's even a pic of one of the brains strangling a victim!) :)

Tweener
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
You're not bananas. I remember that creepy B&W movie, too...saw it as a young boy on one of those "4PM Dialing for Dollars" movie shows as a kid. Scared the #### out of me for months...those brains with "choker" tails were my favorite "embodiments of evil" in my imaginary games as a kid.

The correct title of the movie is "Fiend Without a Face" from 1958, and you can see a review of it at http://exclamationmark.typepad.com/blog/film_reviews_1958/index.html . You'll need to scroll about a third of the way down the page (there's even a pic of one of the brains strangling a victim!) :)Hey thanks, Dean! I always wondered what the name of that was. I think I only caught it once or twice as a kid.