PDA

View Full Version : Challenger 1

JSP
07-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Does anyone have the decals for the Estes Challenger 1? It was the ARF starter set rocket that they had in '77. It was pretty much the same rocket and launch system as the Star Trek starter set. I can't seem to find it anywhere... By the way, I can't find the decals for the Star Trek starter rocket either...Does anyone have them? Thanks!

John Brohm
07-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have the decals for the Estes Challenger 1? It was the ARF starter set rocket that they had in '77. It was pretty much the same rocket and launch system as the Star Trek starter set. I can't seem to find it anywhere... By the way, I can't find the decals for the Star Trek starter rocket either...Does anyone have them? Thanks!

If you scoll down the page found at this link (http://www.oldrocketplans.com/decals.htm), you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck, and let's see the Challenger when it's done!

JSP
07-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks! I'll see what I can do... :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks! I'll see what I can do... :D

They're the ones I used for this.......

John Brohm
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
They're the ones I used for this.......

Very nice, Bill. How was the flight? And which fin can did you use?

John Brohm
07-16-2006, 06:41 PM

And speaking of fin cans, I'll mention that I've prepared an Estes Fin Can/Kit Reference list which has been passed on to Scott for posting at YORS. It should appear once Scott makes the latest "Mother of all Updates".

JSP
07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Bill, Great clone!
You wouldn't happen to have the fin dimensions lying around anywhere would you? ;)

Ltvscout
07-16-2006, 08:36 PM
It should appear once Scott makes the latest "Mother of all Updates".
I know, I know. I've got to get rolling on this. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 09:59 PM

It's the real thing. I bought a Challenger I set off of Ebay and the rocket had seen better days. As is the case sometimes, I was lucky, and the previous owner had used white glue in all of the construction, so it was just a matter of new internals, a new body tube, some paint and decals. I think I even used the original engine hook. :cool:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/est_challenger_1.html

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Hey Bill, Great clone!
You wouldn't happen to have the fin dimensions lying around anywhere would you? ;)

Isn't the SkyWriter fin can a match? If not, I'll be glad to trace mine.

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Odd. My flight logs only list this one as having flown once, but I swear it's flown more than that. The first flight was on a B6-4, which was a perfectly ordinary flight except for the hard landing on the fin can. The previous "body tube", which seemed more like rolled typing paper than cardboard, had obviously taken a few of these hard landings. It was a mess. I'll put it in the box for this weekend. :cool:

John Brohm
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Isn't the SkyWriter fin can a match? If not, I'll be glad to trace mine.

Nope. The Sky Writer/Athena/America/Mongoose/etc fin cans are newer, and different than the old Challenger 1 fin can. The Kadet (#1328) had the same fin can as the Challenger 1, although it was molded in black plastic, not orange.

The two fin can types can be distinguished by their different airfoil shapes: the Challenger 1/Kadet version has a slight diamond shape; the Mongoose/Athena/etc version has a wedge shape. Other than this, they are very similar. Certainly no reason not to use the late model fin can for a clone!

These, and the many other one piece molded fins cans, can be found in the soon to be posted Estes Fin Can/Kit Reference List, coming to a Rocket Shoppe near you...

JSP
07-17-2006, 05:58 AM
I think the dimensions are about the same. However, I'm looking at doing a slight upscale, so I really just need the info...I actually thought I had one around here somewhere, but I don't seem to. I could have sworn I had it...on something...somewhere... :confused:

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I think the dimensions are about the same. However, I'm looking at doing a slight upscale, so I really just need the info...I actually thought I had one around here somewhere, but I don't seem to. I could have sworn I had it...on something...somewhere... :confused:

The root is 1.25"
Fin top and bottom are 1 9/16"
Fin tip is 1.0"
I assume you know the general shape. (I was a history major, so I don't know what the shape is called.) :o
Let me know if you have any other questions.

JSP
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks!
I'm an English/History major too. I call it a trapazoidy thingy.....

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks!
I'm an English/History major too. I call it a trapazoidy thingy.....

That's exactly what I was thinking. We're either genius-types or total morons. Either way, it's good to have company. :D
Can you work from the #s I got from the thingy?

JSP
07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Yep, I got it. Thanks!

I lke the Dilbert Priniple's idea which is, "Everyone is an idiot at some point." I find great comfort in the thought.... Of course, some people's "points" are more frequent than others... :D

JSP
07-17-2006, 09:06 PM
And of course I misspelled "principle." I think I've proved the point.