Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   NASA Study Summary: "Orbital Launch Potential Saturn IB using SRMs" (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9048)

luke strawwalker 04-15-2011 02:24 PM

NASA Study Summary: "Orbital Launch Potential Saturn IB using SRMs"

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an interesting study from Sept of 64, entitled "Orbital Launch Potential: Saturn IB Earth Launch Vehicle Using Solid Propellant Motors".

This study not only covers the use of large monolithic SRMs for first stage replacements, but also the clustering of smaller 120 inch Titan III SRMs for first stages, and also the possibility of clustering 156 inch SRMs for first stages, as well as investigates the possibilities and performance available from adding a pair of 120 inch Titan III SRMs or 156 inch segmented SRMs to the side of the existing Saturn IB first stage as SRBs, either dropped in-flight or bolted to the stage and carried through the liquid S-IB first stage burnout. Performance gains of up to 170% over the standard Saturn IB payload to orbit were possible, with an upgraded S-IVB stage on top.

Enjoy. Pics to follow... OL JR

luke strawwalker 04-15-2011 02:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok... the first pic is an overview with stats of the 120 inch Titan III SRM proposed for various uses in this study.

The second pic is the two configurations of the 156 inch test motor development. The top one is for gimbal nozzle and jet vane TVC tests, the bottom one was for test firing the 260 inch nozzle development test.

The third pic has a chart of various perfomance data related to the 156 inch test motors based on number of center segments used. On bottom is a scale pic of the full-size 260 inch motor with dimensions.

The fourth pic is a scale drawing of the 260 inch full size motor

The fifth pic is a scale drawing of the standard Saturn IB upon which the study is referenced.

More to come... OL JR

luke strawwalker 04-15-2011 02:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The first pic shows the various clustered arrangements of SRMs for possible first stage replacements for Saturn IB. Several different configurations were studied, including 3, 4, and 5 motor versions with SRMs with either four or five segments in each motor in the cluster. It would have been interesting to see this study updated to reflect the latest state of the art in SRM's for Titan IV using the 7 segment SRBs clustered for the first stage.

The second pic is the Saturn IB with twin 156 inch SRB's.

The third pic is a scale drawing with all the dimensions for a Saturn IB cargo version with a pair of Titan III UA-1205 120 inch SRB's flanking the core stage.

The fourth pic is a performance chart using the standard S-IVB stage propellant weight as used by the regular Saturn IB and Saturn V. The added first stage thrust and increased payload really calls for an uprated (tank stretched) and strengthened S-IVB stage to optimize the performance.

The fifth and last pic is a performance chart using an uprated and lengthened S-IVB stage to better make use of the additional thrust of the first stage and payload lifting capacity.

Enjoy! OL JR

Pem Tech 04-15-2011 04:15 PM

Fascinating...
More! More!

TimeRanger 04-15-2011 05:54 PM

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing this interesting material.

Chas Russell 04-15-2011 08:40 PM

Like This?

2 Attachment(s)
Pod Bay Doors Team at NARAM 51 in Pennsylvania. Top section (SLA forward) built by me in Fort Worth, TX. Saturn 1B (Apogee kit) built by Matt Steele in Phoenix (at that time), SRMs built by Pat McCarthy in Florida (he works for Space Florida),. Cludge, ahhh assembled at NARAM. First flight with a single "G" to establish flight points. Second flight with a central G with A10-PT in the core and 1/2A's in the SRMs........G did not ignite.
Now I lay me down to sleep....

Steele I great Team efffort.

Chas

luke strawwalker 04-15-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Pod Bay Doors Team at NARAM 51 in Pennsylvania. Top section (SLA forward) built by me in Fort Worth, TX. Saturn 1B (Apogee kit) built by Matt Steele in Phoenix (at that time), SRMs built by Pat McCarthy in Florida (he works for Space Florida),. Cludge, ahhh assembled at NARAM. First flight with a single "G" to establish flight points. Second flight with a central G with A10-PT in the core and 1/2A's in the SRMs........G did not ignite.
Now I lay me down to sleep....

Steele I great Team efffort.

Chas

Very nice! Wish you had larger pics-- those thumbnail size just get grainy as heck when you blow them up to see anything... :)

Later! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker 05-23-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pem Tech
Fascinating...
More! More!

Hey Pem Tech... now you see why you should release that "sorta-Saturn" kit you've been playing around with-- it's really pretty similar to a lot of these 'clustered SRM first stage' Saturn I/IB and Saturn V/NOVA vehicle proposals... There's a couple studies here that show them (including the GCR study I posted earlier)

And you'd have the only one on the market!

Later! OL JR :)

Ez2cDave 08-25-2018 06:21 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Very nice! Wish you had larger pics-- those thumbnail size just get grainy as heck when you blow them up to see anything... :)

7 years later . . .

Ez2cDave 08-25-2018 06:23 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More pics . . .