Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   For Sale (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Competition Style Fin Jigs (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17993)

Gus 07-14-2019 07:54 PM

Competition Style Fin Jigs

3 Attachment(s)
Exciting news!!!

Daniel Harrison is in the process of finishing a small run of fin jigs, similar to the no longer available Rose Fin jigs. They should be available by (and at) NARAM. These are ultra-high precision pieces of meticulously fabricated machining meant to produce world-class fin placement for the world's top competition flyers. But obviously, they can be used by anyone interested in the best fin placement possible.

Dan has improved on Art's design by including preset position holes for 4 finned, as well as 3 finned rockets.

Dan is a machinist and his son Trevor won a team world championship in altitude last year in Poland. If you have interest in one of these, please let Dan know. Photos below are of Trevor using the jig yesterday on the field. I used it as well to test is out and all I can say is, it's spectacular!

Gus 07-14-2019 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more photos

Earl 07-14-2019 07:59 PM

Steve-

That's a nice looking piece of hardware. So nice, I'm almost afraid to ask what the price range is, but will ask anyway. Got a figure by chance?

Earl

Gus 07-14-2019 08:12 PM

Earl,

Price including 3 mandrels, 10mm, 13mm, and 18mm will be $400. That's substantially less than what Art's Hi-Tec jigs sold for. Especially the very last one that went for $1000.

Anyone who has never used one of these jigs thinks that's a lot of money. Anyone who owns one will think $400 is a real bargain. All I can tell you is Emma and I have built literally hundreds of rockets using our Art Rose fin jig.

Emma has set 22 U.S. altitude records. I've set 8. I was on the team that finished 2nd in altitude at the World Spacemodeling Championships in Ukraine in 2016. Emma was on the U.S. team that finished 3rd in altitude in Poland in 2018. These jigs work.

They aren't meant for putting fins on your Alpha (but you can, LOL). They are meant to produce world class precision for world class performance. Dan's jig is world class. At $400 they are a steal.

BEC 07-15-2019 12:48 AM

From what I can see of them they look great!

These look to be a little more substantial in a couple of key places - I will be very much interested in looking at them at NARAM - and in finding out what a 24mm mandrel adds to the price.

I have used the Rose jig on every rocket I've built since it arrived here except my J&H Swingshot C rocket glider....it will be interesting to see if that really helps me at NARAM :).

FYI - the Rose jig you helped me acquire has presets for both three and four fins.

jetlag 07-15-2019 11:11 AM

I use the one BMI offers. Very nice.

Allen