Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First Estes Rockets (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15201)

dannymrmissile 07-05-2015 08:41 AM

This Is All Bt- 40

5 Attachment(s)
Everything here is BT 40. The steel ruler is all I had & may mess up the pics. Let me know what else you need, Bt 30s too? Danny BTW-this is a 16 inch ruler.

dannymrmissile 07-05-2015 08:43 AM

Bt-40

5 Attachment(s)
More

dannymrmissile 07-05-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
The Sky Bird uses a conical nose cone that slips over the body tube. That type of nose cone is still used on firework rockets today.

I make regular trips up I-75 and I befriended a fireworks shop owner on the way who I got turned on to model rocketry by bringing him a starter kit. On one visit I asked about buying some rockets because I wanted to get some of those nose cones and he gave me a bag of the same nose cones in various sizes. He said they fall off the rockets easily and he was tired of picking them up off the floor. The smaller ones fit BT-20 well but the larger ones either slip into a BT-50 or are equal diameter, so yeah, it seems they are still made the same sizes.

If you use the smaller BT-20 size be careful not to push the cone too far on the tube, as it will crush the tube edge and seat crooked.

The WHITE ones Came with all the rest of all this stuff from an old hobby store I bought out in the 80s. They are Vintage Early ones Estes sold .

dannymrmissile 07-05-2015 09:15 AM

Pics

4 Attachment(s)
Here's pics from camera. Done all I can unless you want more--let me know. Hope all this helps, Danny.

dannymrmissile 07-05-2015 09:16 AM

Pics

2 Attachment(s)
2 more

stefanj 07-05-2015 01:03 PM

Firefox sells a body tube that is dimensionally the same as a BT-40, but spiral wound.

Unfortunately some stupid regulation prevents them from shipping it in decent lengths. I can understand why convolute wound tube has those rules, but this isn't something you'd use to make fireworks.

Until that scotched my order, I was set to put together a couple of dozen models based on those Design Book plans.

mojo1986 07-05-2015 07:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's an early fin unit to fit a BT-40. I also have one of the early spin fin units around somewhere, and will try to find it if there's any interest.

Joe

gpoehlein 07-05-2015 10:22 PM

Fantastic, guys - this is exactly what I was hoping to see! As soon as I get a chance, I'll try to to a 3D render of the fin can and nose cones for printing. I can't do the actual printing right now since my printer only handles PLA - nose cones would be rough but usable, but I'm afraid the motor exhaust would war a PLA fin can. Won't have a printer capable of printing ABS until early next year.

dannymrmissile 07-06-2015 11:46 PM

mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Fantastic, guys - this is exactly what I was hoping to see! As soon as I get a chance, I'll try to to a 3D render of the fin can and nose cones for printing. I can't do the actual printing right now since my printer only handles PLA - nose cones would be rough but usable, but I'm afraid the motor exhaust would war a PLA fin can. Won't have a printer capable of printing ABS until early next year.

I can Mail you copies of these papers if you need them,,, just ask & give address,,,, Danny.

Royatl 07-07-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Firefox sells a body tube that is dimensionally the same as a BT-40, but spiral wound.

Unfortunately some stupid regulation prevents them from shipping it in decent lengths. I can understand why convolute wound tube has those rules, but this isn't something you'd use to make fireworks.

Until that scotched my order, I was set to put together a couple of dozen models based on those Design Book plans.

You could see if e-Rockets has some Semroc BT-40 equiv. left (or if they're having more made for Aerobee-Hi kits). I bought a few from Sheryl a few months before she sold.