Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SLS Rollout Postponed (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=20261)

tbzep 02-08-2022 11:38 AM

SLS Rollout Postponed

The SLS/Artemis 1 stack was set to roll out to pad 39B Feb 15. It is now scheduled to roll sometime around March 8 for its final checks and wet test. It will then roll back to the VAB to connect the various separation and destruct pyro ordinance. It will then roll back out to 39B about six days before launch.

Target launch window is currently April 8 to 23. A secondary window is May 7 to 21, and a third is June 6 to 16.

Scott_650 02-08-2022 12:41 PM

As I anticipated the launch will miss our scheduled trip to see the Mouse with our granddaughters - here’s hoping they make the May window so we’ll have the time to recover from the first trip to FL for the second 😆

tbzep 02-08-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
As I anticipated the launch will miss our scheduled trip to see the Mouse with our granddaughters - here’s hoping they make the May window so we’ll have the time to recover from the first trip to FL for the second 😆

I wouldn't be surprised if they missed all the listed windows and launched in July. It's typical of today's NASA, especially with the mandatory quarantines slowing down productivity. The tail end of the July window should be around the time of Apollo 11's launch, give or take a day or two.

Scott_650 02-08-2022 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I wouldn't be surprised if they missed all the listed windows and launched in July. It's typical of today's NASA, especially with the mandatory quarantines slowing down productivity. The tail end of the July window should be around the time of Apollo 11's launch, give or take a day or two.

Sure would’ve been nice if the May window was close to Memorial Day weekend since we’re seriously considering a trip to coastal Georgia/Carolinas during the NSL but the end of July as an Apollo 11 anniversary present would be pretty nice 👍

Earl 02-08-2022 02:20 PM

It will be interesting and strange to see a large vehicle at KSC roll out to the pad on a very Apollo-looking L/UT (launcher/umbilical tower) again! Last time that happened would have been summer of '75 when the Saturn 1b for Apollo-Soyuz rolled out to the pad. Actually, for a 'large' vehicle on a LUT, I guess one has to go back to the Skylab Saturn V rollout in spring of '73!

Earl

Scott_650 02-08-2022 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
It will be interesting and strange to see a large vehicle at KSC roll out to the pad on a very Apollo-looking L/UT (launcher/umbilical tower) again! Last time that happened would have been summer of '75 when the Saturn 1b for Apollo-Soyuz rolled out to the pad. Actually, for a 'large' vehicle on a LUT, I guess one has to go back to the Skylab Saturn V rollout in spring of '73!

Earl

The Saturn 1b looked a bit lost sitting on the milk stool - like a skinny guy in a too big suit 😆

tbzep 02-09-2022 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
The Saturn 1b looked a bit lost sitting on the milk stool - like a skinny guy in a too big suit 😆

LOL, you're right, but it's previous pad used a tapered LUT which looked even more weird to me.

ghrocketman 02-09-2022 09:54 AM

'73 is a looooooong time ago.
Almost 50 years since a vehicle of this size launched from the Cape, which honestly is REALLY sad.

tbzep 02-09-2022 10:49 AM

And even with this Block 1, they are still ~40 ft shorter and nearly a million pounds lighter. I'm actually surprised at that with those two honking SRB's. I guess a bazillion gallons of hydrogen (over 700,000 iirc) is still a lot lighter than 200,000 gallons of kerosene.

Scott_650 02-09-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Is this unmanned craft supposed to go to the moon and/or beyond and back to earth?

According to NASA after the Crew Module completes it’s distant retrograde orbit it’s going to return to Earth for a splashdown in the Pacific. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/around...-sls-with-orion