Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum Information, Rules, Etc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   YORF Going Down for System Maintenance on 10/26/19 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18135)

Ltvscout 10-22-2019 12:55 PM

YORF Going Down for System Maintenance on 10/26/19

Some of you saw that my site was unavailable for almost 4 hours this morning. My webhost took my account offline due to my vBulletin database getting too large and violating their TOS.

The default configuration for vBulletin is to store file attachments in the database. Alternatively they can be stored in a directory in my account. I wasn't thinking ahead when I setup the forum almost 15 years ago. The attachment table grew to about 10GB in size.

This weekend I'll be taking the site offline so I can move the attachments to their own directory. This process takes time due to the thousands of attachments I've accrued over the years and the fact that the attachment table has to be optimized afterwards to recover the file space.

I'm giving everyone a heads up now so they know what to expect.

aeppel_cpm 10-22-2019 01:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

If you're moving the attachment location, would you also consider raising the max image size?
And/Or are there now image upload options for vBulletin that resize uploads on the fly?

One of the reasons I reduced how much I post on YORF is that chasing pictures through Flickr to get an embed-able link is a nuisance. So it has to be something I really want to show off.

Regards,
Charles

Ltvscout 10-22-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Thanks for the heads up.

If you're moving the attachment location, would you also consider raising the max image size?
And/Or are there now image upload options for vBulletin that resize uploads on the fly?

One of the reasons I reduced how much I post on YORF is that chasing pictures through Flickr to get an embed-able link is a nuisance. So it has to be something I really want to show off.

Regards,
Charles

I'm limited in attachment size due to the old PHP running for this old version of vBulletin I'm using.

I'll be looking in to what I might be able to do to fix this, but it will be at a later date.

aeppel_cpm 10-22-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'm limited in attachment size due to the old PHP running for this old version of vBulletin I'm using.

I'll be looking in to what I might be able to do to fix this, but it will be at a later date.

ok, thanks.
Good luck with the move.

Earl 10-25-2019 01:58 PM

Scott-

Do you anticipate the forum being back on line by Monday the 28th sometime?

Earl

ghrocketman 10-25-2019 02:29 PM

Scott-
Thanks for letting us know.
Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

jetlag 10-25-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Scott-
Thanks for letting us know.
Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Yes, DITTO!

Ltvscout 10-25-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Scott-

Do you anticipate the forum being back on line by Monday the 28th sometime?

Earl

I'm hoping it will only be down X number of hours on Saturday.

Earl 10-25-2019 08:27 PM

Ok, thanks Scott. And as others have stated, good luck with the session; hope all goes smoothly.

Earl

Ltvscout 10-26-2019 11:16 AM

As you can see the forum is still up. Before I can do the database work I need my host to do something for me on their end. I contacted them at 9am CST but still don't have a reply.

Until I hear back from them I can't move forward. The forum will remain online until then.

Frustrating.