Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sig Sanding Sealer thinner? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18034)

metlfreak 08-19-2019 09:46 AM

Sig Sanding Sealer thinner?

I can get Sig Sanding sealer at my local Hobby Lobby. Its pretty much the only trusted sanding sealer I've seen around here.
My question is can I thin it with 100% acetone or do I have to buy the sig brand thinner? Or is the sig brand thinner actually just 100% acetone? The reason I ask is because buying unbranded acetone is very cheap compared to "Sig Thinner"

nelie61 08-19-2019 11:02 AM

You can use the regular old acetone for thinning and cleanup. It works just fine.

scigs30 08-19-2019 11:28 AM

Does Sig sealer need thinning? Aerogloss was pretty thin but it would require 4 or more coats for a grain free finish. Brodak it thicker and requires only 3 coats. John at Brodak recommends thinning 50/50 for brushing, I have not tried thinning.

metlfreak 08-19-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Does Sig sealer need thinning? Aerogloss was pretty thin but it would require 4 or more coats for a grain free finish. Brodak it thicker and requires only 3 coats. John at Brodak recommends thinning 50/50 for brushing, I have not tried thinning.

Yes. Sig is very thick. about like Honey maybe even a little thicker.

metlfreak 08-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie61
You can use the regular old acetone for thinning and cleanup. It works just fine.

Perfect!
Thanks for the info!

ghrocketman 08-19-2019 12:59 PM

Sig Sanding Sealer needs at least 1 part thinner to two parts sealer.
It is very thick.
Do not use without thinning. It will be gummy for days if you don't thin it.
You can use straight Acetone to thin it, but it may dry way too fast for your liking.
If you don't want to buy commercial dope thinner, I would use straight Toluene or MEK to thin it instead. A mix of all three 8n even proportions makes an even better thinner.

tbzep 08-19-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Sig Sanding Sealer needs at least 1 part thinner to two parts sealer.
It is very thick.
Do not use without thinning. It will be gummy for days if you don't thin it.
You can use straight Acetone to thin it, but it may dry way too fast for your liking.
If you don't want to buy commercial dope thinner, I would use straight Toluene or MEK to thin it instead. A mix of all three 8n even proportions makes an even better thinner.

And use the real stuff or it turn to chewing gum.

ghrocketman 08-19-2019 03:43 PM

Absolutely NEVER use hardware-store Lacquer thinner.
That stuff always contains Methanol and WILL ruin butyrate and nitrate dopes.
Most automotive lacquer thinner (DuPont, PPG, Nason) can be used as it does not usually contain methanol, but always check the label.

Earl 08-19-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
Yes. Sig is very thick. about like Honey maybe even a little thicker.

Thanks for bringing up this question. I got a bottle of Sig myself 4-5 months ago, but it was so extremely thick, I really was not able to successfully use it on a test piece of balsa. I thought maybe I had gotten a bad bottle.

I’ll try to thin it now and see how that does. I want to try some Brodak sealer as well, but they still show as out of stock on their website (has been that way for several months now).

Earl

ghrocketman 08-19-2019 05:13 PM

The Sig stuff is fine and works just as well if properly thinned.