Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Saturn IV rebuild (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18755)

LeeR 08-12-2020 01:36 PM

Saturn IV rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
My 20+ year old Saturn IV had a bad fall off a shelf, snapping 3 fins, and inflicting a number of dings. I decided to repair it, but also do some mods, like changing from a standard nose cone shape, to carving/sanding the top of the nose cone, to add a capsule-like shape. I had added lander legs originally, but decided to add some further detailing using styrene.it now has kind of a Mars-Lander-like look. :)

It has a new base coat of white paint. I’ll allow that to cure a few days before adding all the black detailing.

I could not find my original plans, but have found some info on Chris Michielssen’s blog. I have also sent a text to Peter Alway to see if the original plans are available.

My version strays a bit from Peter’s design, but we are talking fantasy rocket here. I’m sure Peter would not mind. :)

LeeR 08-12-2020 02:36 PM

UPDATE: Here are the plans provided by Peter Alway, found in a link to that other forum:

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21...e=5F36005E&dl=1

Tau Zero 08-12-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My 20+ year old Saturn IV had a bad fall off a shelf, snapping 3 fins, and inflicting a number of dings. I decided to repair it, but also do some mods, like changing from a standard nose cone shape, to carving/sanding the top of the nose cone, to add a capsule-like shape. [SNIP]

My version strays a bit from Peter’s design, but we are talking fantasy rocket here. I’m sure Peter would not mind. :)
Lee,

That's gorgeous! :D ;) :cool:

snaquin 08-12-2020 06:13 PM

That’s just too cool Lee :cool:

hcmbanjo 08-12-2020 06:15 PM

Hey Lee,
I've got a GIF of both pages - If the other link doesn't work for you,
Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and I'll send them to you -

LeeR 09-02-2020 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments.

I think I finally got the painting done. I was thinking of doing another roll pattern, but I’ll call it done.

You don’t want to entirely paint, or repaint, a Saturn if you avoid it. Especially a small one. All I can say is thank goodness for Tamiya tape.

Next up is decals. I’ve got a few sheets that should work well.

snaquin 09-02-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments.

I think I finally got the painting done. I was thinking of doing another roll pattern, but I’ll call it done.

You don’t want to entirely paint, or repaint, a Saturn if you avoid it. Especially a small one. All I can say is thank goodness for Tamiya tape.

Next up is decals. I’ve got a few sheets that should work well.
Looks great Lee!
Speaking of Tamiya tape I looked but I couldn't find any in my town. I bought some 3M fine line tape off of Amazon in 1/4" and 1/2" so I hope to have those here in a few days to try out this weekend. I hope it works as well as the Tamiya tape.

LeeR 09-02-2020 10:24 PM

Steve,

I cannot find Tamiya tape locally. Hobby Lobby is carrying an off-brand that looks kind of like Tamiya, but someone posted that its definitely not as good as Tamiya. We no longer have a HobbyTown, but I’ve bought Tamiya tape at a HobbyTown in Denver. I’ve also ordered it from Amazon.

I’ll be interested in your opinion of the 3M once you get it. I’ve heard its adhesive is pretty aggressive, so it’s probably a good idea to test it on a sample tube or other part.

tbzep 09-03-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:
Steve,

I cannot find Tamiya tape locally. Hobby Lobby is carrying an off-brand that looks kind of like Tamiya, but someone posted that its definitely not as good as Tamiya. We no longer have a HobbyTown, but I’ve bought Tamiya tape at a HobbyTown in Denver. I’ve also ordered it from Amazon.

I’ll be interested in your opinion of the 3M once you get it. I’ve heard its adhesive is pretty aggressive, so it’s probably a good idea to test it on a sample tube or other part.

The 3M vinyl fine line 1/4" tape is good. I don't have the part number here at work or I'd post it.

erik442 09-03-2020 04:23 PM

I couldn't find Tamiya tape locally so I tried to order it from Amazon last February. Six months passed and I get a notification from Amazon that they cancelled the order. Sirius Rocketry had it so I picked up a roll from them in July. Two weeks later an envelope shows up in my mailbox from Japan with my tape in it. Now I have plenty, but I had to sort it out with Amazon to make sure that guy in Japan got his payment.
I like the 3M tape, too. I used it to lay out the stripes on my 442 the last time it was painted. I think I bought it from the local automotive paint supplier.