Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rocket powered flying wing glider..... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=267)

toxifera 07-05-2005 02:53 PM

Rocket powered flying wing glider.....

Hello out there,
I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can remember a rocket powered flying wing glider which was for sale a few years ago. It was powered by a G engine I believe. It had two elivons. I can’t remember if it was a kit or plans. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Eagle3 07-05-2005 07:46 PM

Sounds like the Aerotech Phoenix. I don't believe they make it anymore.

Nuke Rocketeer 07-05-2005 08:32 PM

Doug Holverson used to make one that flew on 13 mm 1/2 A engines. Flew pretty good on 1/2A3's and I just had to put an A10 in it. Two loops and CRASH under power. :eek: The Holy Family 6th graders loved it and asked me to do it again. I politely told them I did not do that on purpose, and it was too expensive and dangerous to make it a habit.

Eagle3 07-05-2005 08:56 PM

My bad. I was keying on the G power. :D

I think there was a Zagi RC RG a few yeats back. Not sure if it was G powered though.

tbzep 07-05-2005 09:55 PM

The rocket powered Zagi flying wing was a conversion done by George Gassaway and flown on composite F12 and G13 motors from the Aerotech Phoenix. I don't think Zagi ever offered the kit as a rocket boosted glider. The Zagi is a foam wing. I've got a Zagi, but it's electric powered.

There was a smaller wing called the Klingberg Flying Wing that was designed for Estes motors. This wing was "stick built" using balsa ribs, spars, etc. I have one still in the box.

North Coast Rocketry had a glider that resembled the Space Shuttle, also made of foam. I have one that I found next to free, but I've never gotten around to building it.

The Aerotech Phoenix mentioned above was more or less a normal winged glider powered by a special 32mm reloadable motor.

toxifera 07-05-2005 10:19 PM

:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
There was a smaller wing called the Klingberg Flying Wing that was designed for Estes motors. This wing was "stick built" using balsa ribs, spars, etc. I have one still in the box.
:)

Thank you tbzep, you hit it on the nose. That is so cool. I want to thank everyone else for their input. I knew I would recognize it if I saw the name again. tbzep, you say you have one in the box? Are you interested in selling it perhaps? There were two models I believe. Is your version the larger model?

Thank you.

tbzep 07-05-2005 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxifera
:) :)

Thank you tbzep, you hit it on the nose. That is so cool. I want to thank everyone else for their input. I knew I would recognize it if I saw the name again. tbzep, you say you have one in the box? Are you interested in selling it perhaps? There were two models I believe. Is your version the larger model?

Thank you.

I plan to eventually build it. I have several hobbies that are dormant right now, but I eventually roll around to them again one or two at a time. That way I never burn out with a hobby and everything stays fresh to me. I never completely stop fooling with rockets or motorcycles, though. I imagine I will get back to building and flying R/C again in the next year or two and at that point, I'll build the wing.

It has a wingspan of 51.5 inches and wing area of 373 sq. in. I looked at the instuctions again to make sure. It was designed for the D11-P and old E15-P from Estes, but it says it should fly on Aerotech E11 and E6 reloads. I doubt you can find them anymore.

As for there being two Klingberg models, Klingberg had a few other flying wings but I think this one (called the"Klingberg Rocket Wing") is the only one designed for rocket boost.

Tau Zero 07-05-2005 11:56 PM

"Don't try this at home, kids!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I have several hobbies that are dormant right now, but I eventually roll around to them again one or two at a time. That way I never burn out with a hobby and everything stays fresh to me. I never completely stop fooling with rockets or motorcycles, though.

Tim,

As a word of caution, I *wouldn't* recommend mixing those last two. ;)

I offer the following date -- September 8, 1974 -- and two words to put it all into perspective.

"Evel Knievel." :o

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-06-2005 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Tim,

As a word of caution, I *wouldn't* recommend mixing those last two. ;)

I offer the following date -- September 8, 1974 -- and two words to put it all into perspective.

"Evel Knievel." :o

Cheers,

--Jay

Is "Knievel" really a word?

Tau Zero 07-06-2005 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Is "Knievel" really a word?
It's his actual last name, apparently. Although Robert Knievel's nickname was *originally* spelled "Evil," due to his rough and rowdy hell-raising ways in his home state of Montana.

No, *really.* :D

--Jay